Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Talk About Your Relationships Here

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Riann wrote: »
    I asked him to at least call me so I could get a bit more closure than just an email, but he wouldn't.
    Look up the nearest dictionary and look under the entry for escape and lucky and you'll find a picture of you. You'll be glad of the educational memory he provided. Spineless on his part TBH.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Riann

That's a much better response than the usual, "You knew what you were getting into." It's a nice change, ha ha, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Some of you know my story and its about 6 weeks since I had the conversation with the 'foreigner'..... Have not thought (ie been feeling hurt) often about it nor talked about it a lot but the last couple of days have been hard. I havent had the urge to contact him or to make him feel guilty but I have that urge now ..... He is not worth my stress but funnily enough I am missing the regular contact and the potential of meeting him again. I miss the friendship I thought we had. Have kept myself so busy so I have not had time to think up to now but it seems to be catching up with me.

Help... I dont want to contact him. Would not give him the pleasure of thinking I am still thinking about him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

SarahSassy wrote: »
    I miss the friendship I thought we had.
    The operative word her is "thought". A true friend would not pull that stuff. If he was a true friend as well as being into you, you would likely still be together. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Put it this way, if someone walked up to you and said I love you and then kicked you in the shins, which action would you believe? Talk is cheap.
    Help... I dont want to contact him. Would not give him the pleasure of thinking I am still thinking about him.
    Then don't. I know that sounds simple. Take it day by day. Fake it til you make it as it were.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Thanks Wibbs, I think the vodka made me think like that :) I wont lower myself to contact him.... He behaved badly and is not worth the time or cost of a phone call..... Friends dont teat friends like that.

Maybe it was caused by Valentines Day etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Some of you know my story and its about 6 weeks since I had the conversation with the 'foreigner'..... Have not thought (ie been feeling hurt) often about it nor talked about it a lot but the last couple of days have been hard. I havent had the urge to contact him or to make him feel guilty but I have that urge now ..... He is not worth my stress but funnily enough I am missing the regular contact and the potential of meeting him again. I miss the friendship I thought we had. Have kept myself so busy so I have not had time to think up to now but it seems to be catching up with me.

Does no-one else use the patented tallaght01 method of surviving break ups? I basically just say "listen, I don't want to have any more contact with you" in a nice way. Then I delete their mobile number, email address, facebook page etc. Then, in moments of weakness, I have no way of contacting them. I'm never nasty about it. It works wonders. Not a clue what any of my exes are up to, though :D

it also means I don't have to listen to people hitting me with the same old supportive cliches everytime that I feel like ringing an ex.

tallaght01 wrote: »
    it also means I don't have to listen to people hitting me with the same pod supportive cliches everytime that I feel like ringing an ex.

Well it must be great to have life under control :rolleyes:

I havent contacted him, nor have I attempted to. I had a moment of weakness after a night out....

Thanks for your 'help'.

Well it must be great to have life under control :rolleyes:

I havent contacted him, nor have I attempted to. I had a moment of weakness after a night out....

Thanks for your 'help'.

Hold onto your knickers. I wasn't rude to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

Does no-one else use the patented tallaght01 method of surviving break ups? I basically just say "listen, I don't want to have any more contact with you" in a nice way. Then I delete their mobile number, email address, facebook page etc. Then, in moments of weakness, I have no way of contacting them. I'm never nasty about it. It works wonders. Not a clue what any of my exes are up to, though :D

it also means I don't have to listen to people hitting me with the same old supportive cliches everytime that I feel like ringing an ex.

hmm thats all very well, but with my last breakup i knew the mobile number, email address, bebo.. the bebo was ok for awhile, we both agreed to put our profiles on private, but i couldnt erase his number from my head.

its not relevant to me at the moment, but just wanted to make the point that sometimes its not that simple.

sar84 wrote: »
    hmm thats all very well, but with my last breakup i knew the mobile number, email address, QUOTE]

Exactly, but I just could not have been bothered pointing that out.

Thanks Sar :)

• Advertisement

Exactly. I can remember the phone number of an ex I went out with ten years ago.

I do agree that a symbolic removal of said number from your phone is a good plan. Along with any other reminders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

hmm thats all very well, but with my last breakup i knew the mobile number, email address, bebo.. the bebo was ok for awhile, we both agreed to put our profiles on private, but i couldnt erase his number from my head.

its not relevant to me at the moment, but just wanted to make the point that sometimes its not that simple.

I find a restraining order can be handy :p Nah,any of my break ups were never to a point where I needed to do that. We were still friends afterwards, some more so than others and these were LTRs.

Exactly, but I just could not have been bothered pointing that out.

Thanks Sar :)

So the fact that my musings on what I do after a breakup don't apply to you gives you an excuse to be rude?

Crazy people remembering phone numbers when they're in your phone. I don't even know my family's numbers!

Bloody celtic tiger kids :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

So the fact that my musings on what I do after a breakup don't apply to you gives you an excuse to be rude?

Crazy people remembering phone numbers when they're in your phone. I don't even know my family's numbers!

Bloody celtic tiger kids :p

just want to check who youre calling rude? cause i dont think i was rude but the quotings a bit messy & my names in there somewhere..

mostly remember numbers that id dial from the house phone - bfs, mothers, 1 or 2 friends.

just want to check who youre calling rude? cause i dont think i was rude but the quotings a bit messy & my names in there somewhere..

mostly remember numbers that id dial from the house phone - bfs, mothers, 1 or 2 friends.

Sorry, sar84, it was the other girl I was calling rude. I shall fix my messed up quoting straight away :D

I would know 90% of the number in my phone but sure if thats crazy I is happt to be crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

I used to know peoples numbers by heart but it used to annoy me when I was having a "weak" moment so now I make a point of not memorising peoples numbers. So when I delete the numbers/bebo page/email addy etc etc that's it. There is still some numbers I know by heart which still annoys me!

I agree with Tallaght, It's the best way to go about it. Don't know what everyone is getting so snobby about!

As for the "must be great to have your life under control" comment.

Grow up. Learn to handle your own emotions for god's sake. There's no point in getting annoyed with someone because they have more self control than you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 angelicious

If your partner gave you a gift that for some bizzare reason he seemed to think you'd like, but in actual fact it was a bit thoughtless, tactless and it left you feeling hurt, would you tell him or would you just chalk it up to "male stupidity"

I know mine is not the biggest problem in the world and I probably should just let it go but for some reason I can't and I'm getting increasingly p****d off. I've mentioned elsewhere that my bf gave me a pair of running shoes for valentines day. A gift that's about as romantic as a dry fart. Granted I'm dieting to try and lose the bit of weight I gained after quitting smoking, and I take my dogs walking every day but outside of that I loathe sports, a fact he well knows, and I didn't need runners - I have 2 pairs at home!

I guess I feel hurt because it seems like he got the shoes just for the sake of getting me something, or else he's subtly hinting that I should move my fat a** more. I don't know, it can't be that he's actually that clueless, can it? This was our first valentines and I went to a lot of effort to make it special but now I can only associate it with feeling hurt.

The ironic thing is that he's said from day one he'd never surprise me with jewellery because he hasn't got a clue - I doubt even the gaudiest piece of costume jewellery would have bothered me as much as a f****** running shoes.

Should I just let it go, or should I somehow raise the issue with him so he knows how I feel? I don't know what to do. :(:confused::(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

It is obviously bothering you. I would be straight with him, ask him what he thought he was doing buying you runners? Did he say anything when he gave them to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

This is the benefit of giving her nothing for valentines, she can't be disappointed. :D My plan worked! Tell him how you feel, he's not going to guess. I doubt he gave them to you to tell you that you're fat. Some people are just crap at giving presents, male or female. Some people are ungrateful no matter what you get them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Honesty. Best policy.

Bear in mind though, desperation can drive some men to terrible presents.
    The logic seems to go 'What has she said in the past week. Something about walking more. Walking = sore feet. *man walks past sports shop* "I know! Runners! I'm a genius!"

( I say this while waving my terribly useful but completely pointless dustpan and brush combo present from an ex)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 angelicious

Quality wrote: »
    It is obviously bothering you. I would be straight with him, ask him what he thought he was doing buying you runners? Did he say anything when he gave them to you?

Nope, he just had this big grin on his face in anticipation of my look of delight. Which I faked wonderfully. I deserved an oscar.
    Sherifu wrote: »
    This is the benefit of giving her nothing for valentines, she can't be disappointed. :D My plan worked! Tell him how you feel, he's not going to guess. I doubt he gave them to you to tell you that you're fat. Some people are just crap at giving presents, male or female. Some people are ungrateful no matter what you get them.

I'm not ungrateful, I'm just upset at his apparent lack of thought.
    Silverfish wrote: »
    Honesty. Best policy.

Bear in mind though, desperation can drive some men to terrible presents.
    The logic seems to go 'What has she said in the past week. Something about walking more. Walking = sore feet. *man walks past sports shop* "I know! Runners! I'm a genius!"

( I say this while waving my terribly useful but completely pointless dustpan and brush combo present from an ex)

Oh dear lord..... I revoke my rant!! :D

Nope, he just had this big grin on his face in anticipation of my look of delight.

Ahh Bless him...

Just say it too him nicely... As nice as you can explain that runners are not the usual romantic valentines present..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭nikki 122

i've been meeting this lad for a month and he still has not asked me out yet ... i don't think this is normal whats everyone elses point of view?

What do you mean by meeting?
    How do you usual set dates?

Do you mean he hasnt asked you to be exclusive?

aye wrote: »
    As a guy i can tell you i dont think this is anything to do with men being silly, its just him. and you put up with it so he'll do it.

girlfriends birthday - it's all about her, you can see your mates another night.
    pressie afteryou broke up - he's apologising
    buying flowers on your card - dunno what thats about, seems to be just plain ignorance that he thinks he can use your card.

this isnt silliness here, he's know he can do this.

if a guy was doing this to a female friend of mine, i'd very unimpressed by him, and i'd probably advise her to get rid, if even for a while just to scare him.

wow good advice the world needs more lads like you!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

let it go, FFS its a made up holiday, you done well to get anything all, especially with you being this ungrateful

What do you mean by meeting?
    How do you usual set dates?

Do you mean he hasnt asked you to be exclusive?

yeah we go to the cinema and dinner all the time and he said he is not with anyone else, neither am i.... when i say meeting i mean making out when ever we meet up ... i know i don't really get it ... and i've made it clear that im not going any further with someone i'm not going out with... what do you think?

nikki 122 wrote: »
    yeah we go to the cinema and dinner all the time and he said he is not with anyone else, neither am i.... when i say meeting i mean making out when ever we meet up ... i know i don't really get it ... and i've made it clear that im not going any further with someone i'm not going out with... what do you think?

Ok what age are you and what age is he?
    Have you both been in relationships before?

Have you ever tried to make a move on him?

• Advertisement

Ok what age are you and what age is he?
    Have you both been in relationships before?

Have you ever tried to make a move on him?

i'm 18 he is 20.... he had 1 serious relationship and i've had none... nope never made a move i'm too darn shy and i'm not interested in being sleazy

Advertisement