Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LCpredictions

Options
  • 14-12-2007 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

Now ladies and gents, why dont we talk about some thing very useful, that is predictions for the lc this year.

Many of us have mock comming up very soon, so i think it'll be usefull if we share the information of what has more chances of comming up in the papers.

For example i might start with accounting,
    Club accounts
    Cash flows
    were the two qs our teacher told have a high chance of comming up ems.. not very sure about anything else.. aww and i think the manufacturing acc. too.

Economics - Sub-Prime lending related qs would be very highly expected.. so far.

Chemistry - Clove oil experiment hadnt come up in ages.. mmm

Anybody else have somethin in mind?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭betsymagoo

ooh this is a good thread.... i like your thinking.....

i also think for acc. that incomplete type 2 will come up and for the financal marginal costing....

our irish teacher thinks dat an toilean has a good chance of coming up....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I hear algebra's got a good chance of coming up this year in maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

english HL poetry: mahon and boland almost certain to come up:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

SRFC90 wrote: »
    english HL poetry: mahon and boland almost certain to come up:)

If Boland comes up, I will be forced to smack my head off the nearest desk. I'm hoping for a bit of Frost personally whether it's likely or not is another matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

awww.. no chance for donne then? pff :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭eoghan h

Frost has came up for the last 2 years so unlikely! This is Bolands last year on the course so she is definately going to come up. I personally hope Montague comes up....had english xmas exam today and i aced the montague q :)

For Irish I don't think Cearrbhach Mac Cába will come up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Is it Eavan Bolands last year on the course for definite?!

If so, it would make my life a lot easier as it is quite likely she'll come up.

Although, isn't this Rich's first year? Therefore, I'm expecting to see her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

I hear algebra's got a good chance of coming up this year in maths.
    I doubt it, it came up last year I think?

Here's me:
    Accounting:
    Manufacturing
    Cash Flow (100 Marks)
    Suspense (100 Marks)
    Budgeting/Marginal Costing

English:
    Literary Genre (and possible Cultural Context)
    Mahon
    Larkin
    Donne
    Rich

Languages:
    Drugs should be a "hot" topic in German/Irish/French.

If my Junior Cert (2005) is anything to go by, something strange will happen like a formal letter in JC French! I couldn't believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I hope Boland/Mahon come up, they're win. Mahon in particular. I just love Antarctica, and squeezing it into essays about other poets would be tricky. Same for Boland and Love, really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

I don't know about the mocks but im sure in the LC something will come up about drugs (cocaine especially) in Irish, German & English.

And business the ABQ could have something to do with sub prime mortages.

In English

I hope we get Boland and Donne.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,824 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

eoghan h wrote: »
    Frost has came up for the last 2 years so unlikely! This is Bolands last year on the course so she is definately going to come up. I personally hope Montague comes up....had english xmas exam today and i aced the montague q :)

For Irish I don't think Cearrbhach Mac Cába will come up

Montague came up last year but I would cry with happinness if he came up...I plan to do him myself as I already did him last year. That'd be a 7th poet...

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Crania

Oh I like this thread.

So people are thinking Boland and Mahon in English? I thought Rich was likely to come up because this is her first year on the course and the Dept. tried for years to get her on. But I'd be delighted with Mahon.

For Economics, I can't really see how anything to do with Sub-Prime Mortgages will come up. There isn't anything about them on the course. What do others think about which Market Form and which Factor of Production will come up. I'm thinking maybe Monopoly(hasn't come up since 2004) or maybe Oligopoly, which came up in 2006. Perfect Competition and Imperfect Competition both came up last year, so they're less likely to come up this year I suppose. For the FOP's, I would say Enterprise(hasn't came up since 2004) or Land(2005) are most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

Im not sure about all the economics course but the sub prime lending has a high chance of comming up on the current issues part. they have to stick that in at some point.. imho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Fuascailt

Hmmm...

English i'd say... Donne-the oldish one, Boland/Rich as the women, Mahon as the Irish and Larkin as the misc one.

History- De Valera has been quite topical, what with Diarmuid Ferriters book... I'd love Collins though.

Fuascailt wrote: »
    English i'd say... Donne-the oldish one, Boland/Rich as the women, Mahon as the Irish and Larkin as the misc one

just to clarify, we have to pick how many......?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Xhristy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

If it's anything like last year he may come up in History too :p

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

just to clarify, we have to pick how many......?

You do one out of four poets (from a possible eight).

kisaragi wrote: »

Cheers, and those 8 being from mahon, montague, frost, boland, larkin and who else?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,824 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

rich, plath and donne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Here's some Lc tips from someone who did it last year.

English.

- Don't neglect to practice comprehensions and essays, a lot of people including me assume that they are easy to get the high marks in whilst paper 2 is the tough one. Not true. I mostly studied poetry and the literary pieces. Got an A2 in the exam. Checked the paper. I got 96% in paper 2 and 80ish% in paper 1. And also remember, in the poetry section, at least one Irish poet and a female poet come usually come up but don't bank on this. And most importantly don't learn off essays, the examiners can spot that from a mile away and a lot of the time people forget parts and it makes the essay look ham fisted. The examiners also seem to want to get a sense of appreciation from you for the pieces you study so mention how much you like the poets work, but don't come off like a suck up.

Maths (honours)

- Do as may past papers as possible. Also don't look through past papers and decide which questions/topics you are going to skip. The people who make the papers often like to mix it up a bit and incorporate bits of topics into other questions. i know that at least two people from my class screwed themselves out of an A by neglecting certain questions only to have the topic pop up in a question they had banked on getting high marks in.

General tips

-Don't stress out and ignore how much study other people are doing. There's always at least one person how does five hours at night and eight at weekends

-Past papers are the best way to study, especially for maths,physics, chemistry and other subjects like them.

-And don't worry about the exams, the general consensus in my school was that doing the exams was by far the easiest part. They feel really chilled out and most of the examiners are really easy going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Woop_01

what about for history and economics ??? anyone :D:confused:

Woop_01 wrote: »
    what about for history and economics ??? anyone :D:confused:

or business n geo! 2 subjects packed full of info that needs learnin!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭eoghan h

kisaragi wrote: »

You do 5 five!

If you 4 theres a very slight chance that none of your poets will come up.

We're doing 7

eoghan h wrote: »
    You do 5 five!

If you 4 theres a very slight chance that none of your poets will come up.

We're doing 7

so the realistic minimum to study is 5, then i n the exam i pick one and go to town??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

or business n geo! 2 subjects packed full of info that needs learnin!!

In geography if you forget any figures or need another signifigant relative point for your answer its a fairly safe bet to make it up, as long as you are in the right ballpark.

e.g why India is suitable to argriculture

A mean temp of 28C in the Ganges valley is perfect for crops such as rice.

You can do the same sort of stuff for other topics such as manufacturing.

Alot of geography is common sense despite what your teacher tells you.

Me and one of my friends both got a1s in the mocks and then a2's in the real thing with practically no work whatsoever.

Of course this advice is only really helpful if your head works like mine and is good at spewing random facts out.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Larkin hasn't come up since 2001 so he's almost certain to come up. Last year was Montague's first year on the course and he came up then so maybe Rich won't be on the paper as it might seem to obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 The Hitman

Accounting: Club and Published are major predictions.

Economics: Elasticity Q.
    FOP:Enterprise, maybe with a bit of capital
    Market Structure: Monopoly with Oligopoly being 2nd favouite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Woop_01

The Hitman wrote: »
    Accounting: Club and Published are major predictions.

Economics: Elasticity Q.
    FOP:Enterprise, maybe with a bit of capital
    Market Structure: Monopoly with Oligopoly being 2nd favouite.

Thx :D:)

• Advertisement

pljudge321 wrote: »
    In geography if you forget any figures or need another signifigant relative point for your answer its a fairly safe bet to make it up, as long as you are in the right ballpark.

e.g why India is suitable to argriculture

A mean temp of 28C in the Ganges valley is perfect for crops such as rice.

You can do the same sort of stuff for other topics such as manufacturing.

Alot of geography is common sense despite what your teacher tells you.

Me and one of my friends both got a1s in the mocks and then a2's in the real thing with practically no work whatsoever.

Of course this advice is only really helpful if your head works like mine and is good at spewing random facts out.

nice one, cheers! i'd say ya did some work now! hoping to get an 'a' in it as it's one of my more favourable subjects as the work aint too heavy.

anybody have any ideas for ordinary irish regarding the stories n poetry??:)

Advertisement