Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Poweredge Server €149 exVAT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

hmmmmmmmmmm, why are they going so cheap? Any use to a home user??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

does look like a very good price alright, great tip - thanks. I'm thinking about getting it to use as a Windows Home Server, but it seems it can only take 2 hard-drives, which wouldn't be enough.

Also, it asks for a business email address for registration - any issues with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

i want one!
    ive got no money :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Any way of removing the Bronze on-site servicing option to get the price down further? Looks like a good deal, only 1000 available though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Very nice find, quite interesting discovery and for €180 with VAT plus say €50 for shipping its not too bad a deal.

• Advertisement

mmm, have one at Checkout stage and am thinking I might go through with it, as it seems to have 4 SATA drive controllers, so I could possibly put a 3rd 3.5" HDD into a 5.25" slot and connect it to a 3rd SATA controller.

Failing that, I reckon there might be someone on here later that misses out that would buy it off me (at the price I pay) if it doesn't fit my needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Total price including VAT + Shipping is € 239.58.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,798 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's unsure, but what exactly is the difference between a server and a normal desktop tower?

Well this one comes with no Operating System (ie. XP or Vista) installed straight off, the hardware is more geared towards being a standalone machine that people connect too via the network etc than being used for everyday applications and general use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

cormie wrote: »
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who's unsure, but what exactly is the difference between a server and a normal desktop tower?

Noise levels may be an issue. If that turned out to be the case you could just strip it for parts - power supply, hdd, memory, dvdrom drive, tower, motherboard, cpu etc - everything except the fan (I think) should be identical to standard pc hardware (thats if you dont choose raid card and other options- though having said that many home pc's now come with raid support). Its starting to look like an option even if your only in the market for certain parts.

• Advertisement

Went ahead and bought one there, so will see how I get on with it. Am hoping it'll be quiet enough cos Dells usually are. If not, I'll look at sticking it up to the attic.

That CPU alone is €72 on Komplett, so €240 overall ain't bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Folks,

I just got this for €188 including delivery.

Go to
    http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/emea/topics/epp/epp?c=ie&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ieepp1

Then Enter in code 123-SC44402

It should come up for €188 including delivery.

A Bargain at that price......

Bazual

Morlar wrote: »
    Noise levels may be an issue. If that turned out to be the case you could just strip it for parts - power supply, hdd, memory, dvdrom drive, tower, motherboard, cpu etc - everything except the fan (I think) should be identical to standard pc hardware (thats if you dont choose raid card and other options- though having said that many home pc's now come with raid support). Its starting to look like an option even if your only in the market for certain parts.

So it's just that it has no operating system and is a bit noisy? Other than that, would it still do everything a normal PC would do?

So it's just that it has no operating system and is a bit noisy? Other than that, would it still do everything a normal PC would do?

Once you install an OS for example XP and get the correct drivers for the hardware in the PC then yes it would be the same as a regular desktop. It might not have the expandability of a regular desktop (ie. PCI-Express or a lot of free PCI slots) but for all intent and purposes it would work fine as a regular office,internet etc pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭kmb

Wonder does it have pcie slot??
    Or how many pci slots.

Regards,

Kieran

majiktripp wrote: »
    Once you install an OS for example XP and get the correct drivers for the hardware in the PC then yes it would be the same as a regular desktop. It might not have the expandability of a regular desktop (ie. PCI-Express or a lot of free PCI slots) but for all intent and purposes it would work fine as a regular office,internet etc pc.

Cool thanks for that info. Would it come with all drivers supplied like Dell desktops/laptops do?

Cool thanks for that info. Would it come with all drivers supplied like Dell desktops/laptops do?

Eeh hard to say really , I doubt it as its a server machine and not designed for the home market plus the drivers for all the OS's available to install would be different, hard to say really I doubt theres even a drivers disk for XP available for a Power Edge...
    Caught me out there!
    With the EPP code bringing it down to €188 I'm finding it awful hard not to buy it....stick Windows Home Server on it , chuck a wireless PCI card into it and let it stream my media out to rest of house.....hmmm...very hard to resist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

majiktripp wrote: »
    With the EPP code bringing it down to €188 I'm finding it awful hard not to buy it....stick Windows Home Server on it , chuck a wireless PCI card into it and let it stream my media out to rest of house.....hmmm...very hard to resist.

I found it too hard to resist with that code ...

:D

To anyone else buying you might find this handy

http://www.crucial.com/eu/store/listparts.aspx?model=PowerEdge%20SC440
    54 quid for 2gbs (2 x 1gb matched pairs ecc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

forbairt wrote: »
    I found it too hard to resist with that code ...

:D

To anyone else buying you might find this handy

http://www.crucial.com/eu/store/listparts.aspx?model=PowerEdge%20SC440
    54 quid for 2gbs (2 x 1gb matched pairs ecc)

Ditto... is the extra ram neccessary if your just going to be using it for streaming?

Ditto... is the extra ram neccessary if your just going to be using it for streaming?

Naw it should be plenty with 1gb for most things.

Don't even know if I'll need the extra I'll wait to receive it I think and then if it needs it I'll order the extra as I'll be throwing kubuntu onto it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You won't need the extra ram if all you are doing is streaming media through the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Redrocket

bazual wrote: »
    Folks,

I just got this for €188 including delivery.

Go to
    http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/emea/topics/epp/epp?c=ie&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ieepp1

Then Enter in code 123-SC44402

It should come up for €188 including delivery.

A Bargain at that price......

Bazual

Sweet deal, just ordered one, might get another later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

Seems you can mod the PCI slot to take a decent video card.

http://www.davtar.org/blog/?p=24

I did this with the original sc420 ..

Whats the GeForce 7300 GS or XFX 8400GS like performance wise ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Thanks OP (and Bazual :D), ordered one for €188. Perfect for setting up my home network server (finally!), will upgrade to a bigger HD at a later date. Good timing what with the Divx update on the Xbox 360 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

€26 delivered for 1GB RAM here http://www.memoryc.com/memory/TS1GDL370.html

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭floydmoon1

anyone have coupons to get a few more euro off.

Damn is tempting. If if knew it'd take my 8600GT card and run Vista I'd buy it now :)

Forgot to say cheers Bazual for the 188 link :D
    floydmoon1 wrote: »
    anyone have coupons to get a few more euro off.

at 188 I think you'd really be lucky
    Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Damn is tempting. If if knew it'd take my 8600GT card and run Vista I'd buy it now :)

Cheers Kaiser2000 for the board tech sheet

To be honest I'd doubt it would ... I would assume the power supply wouldn't be up to much on it Dell aren't exactly known for giving the best components

• Advertisement

forbairt wrote: »
    Cheers Kaiser2000 for the board tech sheet

To be honest I'd doubt it would ... I would assume the power supply wouldn't be up to much on it Dell aren't exactly known for giving the best components
    The PSU doesn't worry me so much. I got a Tagan 480W one for a Dimension 5150 that's well up to the task.

Feck it.. Bought one. :) If nothing else it'll be great for storing all my data, plus I get usage rights on all Windows versions through work.

Advertisement