Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Poweredge Server €149 exVAT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭floydmoon1

forbairt wrote: »
    at 188 I think you'd really be lucky
    always worth the chance.:D.
    going to get one and use it as a server with music and files.
    what good linux servers are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭geecee

Just ordered my 2
    Thanks kaizersoze !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Just ordered one, looks very good. What are the chances of getting XP Pro to work on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

jahalpin wrote: »
    What are the chances of getting XP Pro to work on it?

use a slipstream sp 2 install and you're away in a hack.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

do you have to be a business or a dell employee to avail of this? When trying to register its asking for a company name etc

• Advertisement

dont think you have to put one in but if you do just make up a name

i just put in 'none'.. hopefully this all goes through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭LawnMower Man

Which motherboard do you choose to get raid with striping for fast speed.

Seems like a bargain for 188 euros

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Review here - mentions that the system is whisper quiet (as a few people were concerned about this earlier):

http://www.trustedreviews.com/networking/review/2006/12/26/Dell-PowerEdge-SC440/p1

can u put a graphics catd in this

• Advertisement

Someone earlier in the thread linked to an article that says it's possible to mod the system to support a video card. Looking inside the system though (review I linked to above), it may not physically fit what with the size of the CPU heatsink, plus there's the PSU requirements - although I did (as I mentioned earlier) manage to successfully change the PSU in a Dimension 5150, so it may be possible to do the same here.

that link actually says that the guy was able to put a PCI-E 16x card into the 8x card slot and the card was recognised under Linux, however theres more conversation in the comments and someone points out that he should check what speed it was running at, and he replied saying it was running at 1x. However, he was able to put it into the 4x card slot and he received 4x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Is there any point in going down the SAS route? The controller is €100 extra and then the disks are €150 extra each.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Velcrow

Just a quick thanks to the OP - kaizersoze + bazual

My server is on the way - Its like buying a sata disk and getting a server thrown in for free!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Dammit, I got greedy and sent an email to ask them to cancel my €238 order when I saw the €188 price with the code. I then ordered one at the €188 price.

So far, I've got no confirmation from them yet that the first order will be cancelled and have not received any confirmation email for the second order....what to do what to do? Would it be worthwhile placing another order to see if I get a confirmation email from that one? It says theres a limit of 2 per customer - I wonder is that 2 on a single order or can you do 2 separate orders (is that what's caused me not to get a confirmation email for the 2nd one)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭ob

I got greedy and ordered 2!

A great bargin, thank for the link!

I just got an order confirmation from them :)

For those who asked do you need a company name - no you don't, I just put a "." in the field and it let me continue to checkout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

some video recommendations here

so the motherboard will take AGP? I'm kinda weighing up the options of trying to modifiy the motherboard or just get a new one all together..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

so the motherboard will take AGP? ..

where you get that ?

PCI Express x8 (with x16 connector);
    PCI Express x4 (with x8 connector) ( this is the one to use apparently )
    PCI Express x1, Two PCI 32 bit/33MHz, 5v

• Advertisement

yeah sorry.. i just always assoicate x1950 with AGP for some reason.. my fault..

hopefully we'll be able to figure out what card the power supply will be able to handle soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭PCDub

Anyone know if it'll be possible to overclock the cpu...

should we start a seperate thread in computer section for all who bought this so we can talk about what we are going doing with it and what works with it.

yes...shall we

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

is it worth upgrading to the Intel® Xeon® 3060 Processor for 137?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

it would depend on what you plan on using it for really

set up a thread in tweaking and modding to do with all the tech stuff of this server.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54601993#post54601993

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Grogg

Just nabbed one for 188yoyos. Na bad. One more DULL for me collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭hefty_langer

Guys - I just got an Order Acknowledgement and delivery date for mine - they have mixed up the processor though -

I ordered the following:
    Intel® Pentium ® Dual-Core E2160 at 1.8GHz, 1MB L2 cache, 800MHz FSB... with the intention of o/c the processor.

On the order ack they have my processor as follows:
    PE SC440 Dual Core Xeon 3040, 1.86GHz/2MB 1066FSB

1. which is better for a Windows Home Server?
    2. Can the Xeon be o/c'd?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

Say nothing :D

Advertisement