Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Poweredge Server €149 exVAT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

According to Dell, all slots -regardless of lane size- will run at a 2.5gb max 1x speed.

In the manual it says 8x,4x and 1x but all have the 2.5 gb cap.

I'm guessing thats what you read. Thats got to do with the PCI-E slots in the server.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

forbairt wrote: »
    I'm not seeing that 2.5gb cap thing anywhere ???

thats the max throughput (2.5GB/s) on the PCiE slots not the amount of RAM - which is limited to 4GB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Raekwon wrote: »
    I haven't seen mine yet as it is at my parents house, but I got my ol' man to open it & check it he & says that it has a DVD-ROM (I actually thought they only came with CD-ROMS?) which is good if you want to install Vista. He also said that it has a Pentium D sticker on it so my hopes for a Xeon are official dashed. I'm going there this weekend so I'll bring it back home and fire it up on Sunday.

Btw, from what I've read online the onboard graphics card is a crap 2D/16MB ATI ES1000. So it looks like a graphics card is a must. Any news yet on which one would be the most suitable for this machine???

Also, from what I read on the PowerEdgeForums this system has a 2.5GB memory cap on it, so people who are going to buy an extra 2GB of RAM be aware of this and check it out more thoroughly for yourself (coz it could be BS!).

Great thread thanks, glad to hear a lot of those guys have xp running without issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

Well ordered thursday and missed a delivery today. not bad really

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Velcrow

eth0_ wrote: »
    What price discrepancy? It *clearly stated* on the order page this was a special offer as this server was about to go end of line, and that there was only 1000 available.

I think you should force their hand on this one. You bought that server fair and square, this isn't a case of mis-pricing.

Well I took "bardcom"'s route and reordered - still a great deal @ 239 - will let you know how this order goes - here's hoping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,741 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

My first one just arrived here. And I have an hour left to play with it before I head home to install video cards etc :)

what card you putting into it?

what card you putting into it?

All going well an 8600GT that I have installed in a Dimension 5150.

cool, well let us know how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

yeah post back later ... and if you can do some benchmark tests as well it'd be great :D I'm curious as to the drop in performance if you're only able to use the 4x slot

Preferably run a performance test on your current machine .. and then on the other one :) ( though it might all be too much hastle )

• Advertisement

Will do. I've already installed an extra 2GB RAM (thanks to that link someone posted earlier in the thread) and am presently installing Vista Ultimate on it

(And no I didn't get a Xeon upgrade - oh well!)

do you what the power consumption(at idle and full capacity) of your 8600 is?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,113 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I ordered on saturday morning, got the order acknowledgement straight away, but only got the booking reference today(wednesday). So seems to take a few days for some of the orders to be processed. Delivery estimate is on or before Dec 19th... haven't got order confirmation email yet and can't check status online yet, hopefully will get that soon.

Not off-hand no but I have an upgraded PSU in the 5150 that I might swap over as well (good thing I kept the original psu and vid card :))

EDIT: Vista up and recognizes all devices straight off.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,113 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

says 43 watts here
    http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTM3OSwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

at the moment i'm looking at Radeon HD2600 512mb and a 7.1 Creative Soundblaster Audigy sound card for just over €100.. gonna have to work out power consumption of the system before adding the new components

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I'm guessing thats what you read. Thats got to do with the PCI-E slots in the server.

Opps, sorry lads! I must have read that too fast :o

I'm gonna order 2gigs iof RAM off Cruical over the weekend so. I'm just holding out for that 'perfect' graphics card ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Got mine today also, ordered on epp on Friday, picked up a cheapo 5.1 sound card in PC World Navan for a not so cheapo €14.99 mate has a freebie 2nd graphics card that will do just fine.

Bloody thing weighs a ton! Well 19kgs to be slightly more accurate, bang goes my luggage allowance... heres hoping the check-in girl is still full of Christmas cheer by the 26th.

BTW popped into Currys next door and spotted that they had a cheapo 19" TFT monitor reduced from €199 to €99 if anyone is interested. (Widescreen I think but don't hold me to that, brand was something like OHC?)

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

Do-more wrote: »
    BTW popped into Currys next door and spotted that they had a cheapo 19" TFT monitor reduced from €199 to €99 if anyone is interested. (Widescreen I think but don't hold me to that, brand was something like OHC?)

where's next door ? Theres no currys in dublin is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ShevY

does anyone know where i can get xp drivers for the integrated sata controller. tried the server 2003 drivers from dell support page there but it didnt work.

• Advertisement

zod wrote: »

I was in Navan but there are Currys in Blanchardstown and Liffey Valley for starters plus there are more I'm sure...

invest4deepvalue.com

This is probably the one I saw reduced to €99.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭JethroC

Looks like they're all gone...damn!

Sorry now we're drifting off topic..

But they also had a gorgeous 22" HP monitor for €299.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

JethroC wrote: »
    Looks like they're all gone...damn!

yeah I was about to sign up for another one (maybe its fate)

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

Either I'm being thick or the offer has run out - I'm looking at a price of 609 from the original link

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

zod wrote: »

think he means the curry's near where he lives .

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭geecee

Ordered my 2 servers last thursday

Received nothing but the internet receipt by yesterday - so i called them where they told me the order was cancelled...

Received a Booking reference this morning saying my order was in production!

Don't know what Dell are up to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭LawnMower Man

Just thought i would say thanks to the guy who posted the EPP code to get the price down to E188 and also to the guy who posted the original link.

Have not got the pair I ordered sometime on or before the 18th.

Any recommendations on a good passive graphics card?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Well, my extra 2gb ram arrived from crucial today so fitted that.
    Downloaded 2003 SP2 from MSDN, got my key and burned the cd's.
    Good to go.
    So plugged in mouse....then plugged in...ohhhh fccccccccccccccccccccccuk, no ps2 ports and my kbd is ps2 agghhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To put it mildly I'm frustrated. Was gonna add a keyboard on the original order as this one has had too many beers and coffee's spilled over it in the last few years and some of the keys barely work....but didnt as I'll be using rdp to the server after install...

I assume any usb keyboard will do? (my old compaq will only accept a compaq mouse for some reason).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement