Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day of Irish PB's - July 14th

Options
  • 24-04-2018 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭

Very excited to introduce this race to the Irish running calendar.

pbs.jpg

Encompassing 12 and a half laps of the track, each 5,000m race will provide the competitor with the ideal conditions to secure that elusive PB (personal best). Each race will be paced by experienced athletes, including Olympians and elite level Irish runners, with the mission of bringing the competitor to their target time. Our aim is to provide a competitive, family-friendly exciting day of racing.

Beginning at 2pm, the first paced race (25 minutes) will start proceedings. The day will build with a crescendo, deploying an all-action packed timetable of graded races.

For registration, see below.

https://www.popupraces.ie/events/day-of-irish-pbs-2018/

There will be a lot more added to the event over following weeks, including the pacing team and surprise extras.

Registration will open up for the remaining time slots over the next two weeks.

Any questions, fire away.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

will there be a pace group going for 17:37 (asking for a friend)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

will there be a pace group going for 17:37 (asking for a friend)

Thanks ;)

Between the three of us...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Thanks all.

Demand is hard to gauge. As suggested to me earlier, we can half 2 pacers in some of the races, for example - 17.00 and 17.30. I want to make to the event as inclusive as possible so depending on interest, there will a pacer for 17.30 etc!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Smashing idea, will definitely give this a look if im not on holidays!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

...Beers?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

...PB Bell?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ultraman100

...PB Bell?
    dnf bell aswell ..ill.be there

• Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

dnf bell aswell ..ill.be there
    As the official lap counter? Can you count to 12 and a half?

:D

• Advertisement

All suggestions warmly welcomed!

Email: dayofirishpbs@gmail.com

There won't be medals but you will be more than happy with the offerings, trust me!

Delighted to see entries already fly in. Going to be a great day!

As the official lap counter? Can you count to 12 and a half?

just don't give that job to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

This looks great. I assume if you want to register in the hopes there would be a 22 min pacer say, it doesn't matter really what reg link you would use??

ReeReeG wrote: »
    This looks great. I assume if you want to register in the hopes there would be a 22 min pacer say, it doesn't matter really what reg link you would use??

Thanks for the interest!

As mentioned, we are gauging demand! You can of course enter using the sub 25 option. If you then email we can transfer your option over to your desired time when that race entry opens.

More race options will open up over the course of the next 10 days.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

There won't be medals but you will be more than happy with the offerings, trust me!

Hmmm... Statements like this always catch my attention ☺

The date suits me so far, so willing to make the journey...
    Would be nice to get a good boards turnout and get some bragging rights if someone was shooting for similar times....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Hmmm... Statements like this always catch my attention ☺

The date suits me so far, so willing to make the journey...
    Would be nice to get a good boards turnout and get some bragging rights if someone was shooting for similar times....

There’s a sub 25 group for you and all Marty!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Sounds like exactly what I was looking for. But right in the middle of planned holidays. Hmmm. The missus might take some convincing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Very excited to introduce this race to the Irish running calendar.

pbs.jpg

Encompassing 12 and a half laps of the track, each 5,000m race will provide the competitor with the ideal conditions to secure that elusive PB (personal best). Each race will be paced by experienced athletes, including Olympians and elite level Irish runners, with the mission of bringing the competitor to their target time. Our aim is to provide a competitive, family-friendly exciting day of racing.

Beginning at 2pm, the first paced race (25 minutes) will start proceedings. The day will build with a crescendo, deploying an all-action packed timetable of graded races.

For registration, see below.

https://www.popupraces.ie/events/day-of-irish-pbs-2018/

There will be a lot more added to the event over following weeks, including the pacing team and surprise extras.

Registration will open up for the remaining time slots over the next two weeks.

Any questions, fire away.

Best of luck with this sounds like a great idea. Are the events paced runs or will they be a flat out races?

adrian522 wrote: »
    Best of luck with this sounds like a great idea. Are the events paced runs or will they be a flat out races?

I debated long and hard about the exact issue!

The races will be paced to between 4,200m-4,600m (most likely 4,600m). I wanted the paced element (PB) but also to balance it out with the natural urge to empty the tank! I think and hope that will strike the correct balance. With it being a track setting, we can pace each lap to ensure even splits (big advantage over a road course) I know that pacing style won't initially suit all (even pacing) but I firmly believe that the track setting, group element and pacer will make it a lot easier to get to that PB.

In addition there will be two clocks (start/200m & 400m) and a race official observing splits to ensure pacing heaven!

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Sounds great idea. When’s reg opening as not available yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Just what I needed to get me off my arse and back training, thanks!
    You should put Boards as an option for the "where did you hear of this race?" question.

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    Sounds great idea. When’s reg opening as not available yet

Registration is now open for certain times. You can enter now with the most appropriate time. Example: Enter sub 25 if targeting sub 22. When a more appropriate race opens you can then transfer your entry via email.

Hope that answers your question!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Registration is now open for certain times. You can enter now with the most appropriate time. Example: Enter sub 25 if targeting sub 22. When a more appropriate race opens you can then transfer your entry via email.

So are you guaranteed that your entry will be transferred?
    What if by the time the email has been looked at, 30 people have filled up the remaining spaces at sub 22??

So are you guaranteed that your entry will be transferred?
    What if by the time the email has been looked at, 30 people have filled up the remaining spaces at sub 22??

Good question.

We are releasing tickets in batches. This allows us some scope in terms of flexibility. For example, there aren't 30 tickets (max per race) available for anyone race at the moment. This is the sort of work that goes on behind the scenes, which participants don't have to worry about!

With the event being a first for Ireland, we decided to allow some fluidity in terms of race entries. It would have been easier to nail down times and open fully open registration. We decided to go with what the people want, not what is easier for us :). We will go with demand.

Like anything new and innovative, there is a learning curve. We are runner focused, trying to be as inclusive as humanly possible!

There will of course be a cutoff date set in May. That will be well advertised and flagged to each and very entrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

Great initiative A - well done for getting it off the ground. Looking forward to it already and hoping to bring a group from work along too

Duanington wrote: »
    Great initiative A - well done for getting it off the ground. Looking forward to it already and hoping to bring a group from work along too

Cheers - bring some of those speedy guys :D Glad I won't be racing them. Leave me for dead!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Excellent idea. Have suddenly found something to focus a training plan around!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

May well be a dumb question, but possible to broadcast on Facebook live or something similar? Am sure there would be plenty of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

OOnegative wrote: »
    May well be a dumb question, but possible to broadcast on Facebook live or something similar? Am sure there would be plenty of interest.

Or recorded so I can play it in a loop...
    The day I broke 25 ☺

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote: »

That's is definitely on the wish list. We plan to get as much interaction as possible.

Great to see two races sold out already. More races and slots to come.

Advertisement