Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day of Irish PB's - July 14th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

What's the deal with footwear for track racing? I presume road shoes are sufficient?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

sideswipe wrote: »
    What's the deal with footwear for track racing? I presume road shoes are sufficient?

Road shoes are fine.
    The only thing you can't wear is long cross country spikes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

RayCun wrote: »
    Road shoes are fine.
    The only thing you can't wear is long cross country spikes

.....and golf shoes......and stilettos......:D

Registered there yesterday, thought i had previously registered but when everyone started getting singlets i double checked the emails and turns out i didnt!

Will singlet etc be collected at track on the day?

Singlets can be collected from the Athletes Area on day.

Some Developments:

-We will have lap splits to forensically analyse post event
    -We will also have a 'Kick of the Day', awarded to the athlete with the fastest last lap of the day (time-weighted to make it equitable) Prize TBC (depends on the winner!!)
    -We are tendering for the 'Last Lap Song'

More info on the 'book: www.facebook.com/irishpbs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Should I have received a singlet at this stage or was postage a separate option?

I've dropped to the 21/22 mins race. Even that seems optimistic the way I'm currently going.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭Trampas

I have a 19 minute slot booked, however I won't be able to make it. I'm under doctors orders not to run. It might free up a place for someone else

Must be something in the 19 minute group. I’ve picked up bronchitis so will be a late decision if I’ll run or not.

I’ve to get to Croker straight after it. More of an incentive to run faster.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Should I have received a singlet at this stage or was postage a separate option?

I've dropped to the 21/22 mins race. Even that seems optimistic the way I'm currently going.

PM me and I will look into it - depends on when you entered

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Some Developments:

-We will have lap splits to forensically analyse post event
    -We will also have a 'Kick of the Day', awarded to the athlete with the fastest last lap of the day (time-weighted to make it equitable) Prize TBC (depends on the winner!!)
    -We are tendering for the 'Last Lap Song'

More info on the 'book: www.facebook.com/irishpbs

What if somebody were to jog around at 25-30 minute pace, and then went balls out for a sub 60 last lap? I'm asking for a friend!:cool:

Chivito550 wrote: »
    What if somebody were to jog around at 25-30 minute pace, and then went balls out for a sub 60 last lap? I'm asking for a friend!:cool:

Haha! Final decision will be the RD's! We have a system but fully aware of potential pothunters......ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Trampas wrote: »
    Must be something in the 19 minute group. I’ve picked up bronchitis so will be a late decision if I’ll run or not.

I’ve to get to Croker straight after it. More of an incentive to run faster.

Ah come on lads, I'll need a few to pull me along :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Hi guys,

I'll be on the mic on Saturday so if you have any specific song you'll like played during your race just let me know and we'll try to get it sorted.

Remember this will be yur time in the sun so enjoy and smile !!!

Where the Streets Have No Name by U2 during the 22/21 minute race?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Wottle

Most excited I've been about a race in some time.
    Don't plan to wear a watch, will there be a clock on the start to check splits every lap?

Still can't decide if I should wear spikes or not

Wottle wrote: »
    Most excited I've been about a race in some time.
    Don't plan to wear a watch, will there be a clock on the start to check splits every lap?

Still can't decide if I should wear spikes or not

Glad to hear!

2 clocks on track (starting 200m, finish line 400m, with one of the timing team shouting, I mean 'informing', contestants of splits per time band! ("2 up", "5 down" etc for each pacer)

I'd wear whichever is most comfortable. I like spikes but many don't - go with what suits you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Saucony Endorphins for me. They were made for this kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Best of luck to everyone racing tomorrow. Gutted to miss it. If the day itself is half as good as the organisation gone into it then it will be a special day. Great job DR and the crew on the fantastic organisation and updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Unfortunately I won't tomorrow with a chest infection and am gutted to miss it. Best of luck to everyone running - am sure it will be a great day for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well done to everybody involved in this. I think conditions may have worked against a PB-fest (hope I’m wrong) but the event was run like clockwork and had an incredibly good vibe about it. Plus beer with alcohol in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Wottle

What a day, already in my diary for next year.
    Only planned to stay for 2 races, mine and someone I coach but stayed till the end, what a vibe, energy, magnetic event.
    Well done to the organisers who were amazing and can't wait to see what they do next year, Mark my words, this is going to be big!

My own run was awful, heat was far too much for me to take, 27 in the car on the way down. One other regret was that Anto Rocky kicked my ass :-)

Big well done to the whole crew and especially the Antos

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Great event, brilliant idea, will get lots more from the club down for this next year

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    Great event, brilliant idea, will get lots more from the club down for this next year

Seconded. Wonderful event and day. The weather was both a blessing and a curse. Some sort of happy medium next year maybe, guys? You organised everything else to a tee, so the conditions should be a piece of p*ss.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Wottle wrote: »
    What a day, already in my diary for next year.
    Only planned to stay for 2 races, mine and someone I coach but stayed till the end, what a vibe, energy, magnetic event.
    Well done to the organisers who were amazing and can't wait to see what they do next year, Mark my words, this is going to be big!

My own run was awful, heat was far too much for me to take, 27 in the car on the way down. One other regret was that Anto Rocky kicked my ass[\B] :-)

Big well done to the whole crew and especially the Antos

Mine too. Fair and square. He must be doing some track fairy sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Great day. It was a class event there should be more meets like this around the country. The organisers out did themselves, it was just excellent. I stepped on a thrown away bottle and slightly slipped/twisted I tried to run it off but pulled out for a DNF. Gutted but I'll be back.

Great day. It was a class event there should be more meets like this around the country. The organisers out did themselves, it was just excellent. I stepped on a thrown away bottle and slightly slipped/twisted I tried to run it off but pulled out for a DNF. Gutted but I'll be back.

Yeah, I saw how annoyed you were with it. Bummer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

The organisers should be very proud of themselves, it was a great event. I got my own personal pacer, was second female (of two! Lol) and a pb.
    Being a slower runner I'm used to all the good stuff being gone by the time I finish, but with this set up I got the pick of the goodies!
    On the down side, the heat was a killer, there was no shade at all on the track and I thought I was going to die as I crossed the finish line but I'm delighted I did it.
    Cheers DSC_0133_zpsmk98kfag.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

What a fantastic event, I really hope more people get behind this next year, its so different to normal races.
    Bad day at the office myself but glad I was there to lend the bit of support to other runners

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Friggin brilliant job. Didn't manage to hit sub 19, but got a 10 sec pb.. Got to distracted with people coming back to me and tuned out a bit. On the drive home I felt that although I was wrecked after it, I missed a chance. If I had someone on my shoulder calling me names I could have "upped" it a bit earlier :D:D First time running without the watch so feel a bit enlightened :D

The biggest thank you to all.

To receive so much support from the running community has meant so much. The biggest thank you goes to every single runner and every single supporter. I know the 'easy' choice was a regular 5km on the roads. There are so many good road races in Ireland but we felt there was a disconnect. To get over 200 people running track was just incredible. I estimated 80-90 had NEVER raced on a track....just amazing!

The pacers: what a great job, in very testing conditions. Brilliant.

We only decided to launch the event in April. We launched it, having no idea how it would work. All we had was a venue; no sponsor or financial support. We worked from the 'Announce it then work it out' handbook!! The team consisted of 3 people, myself included. We were supported on the day by some amazing people.

Our aim is and ways will be maximise every single euro to maximise participant and spectator experience.

We did receive some resistance to the event but this event will be back. It will be better. It will be bigger. It will have lower entry fees.

Most of all - it will ALWAYS be runner and spectator focused and inclusive to all.

What a day!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Well done the Anto’s!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Most of all - it will ALWAYS be runner and spectator focused and inclusive to all.

This is what makes this event unique to any other in my opinion. It's not a revenue generator for something else it is designed to enhance the sport for it's own sake.

The fact that there was such a great support genuine does restore a bit of faith in the sport in this country amidst the current money grabbing mentality.

well done again

Advertisement