Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day of Irish PB's - July 14th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

UPDATE

Provisional Timetable: Monday, June 25th
    Transfer Window: Monday, June 25th to Friday, June 29th
    Official Timetable: Monday, July 2nd

Home Delivery Deadline: TBC

We are excited to announce that from the 20-minute race down, we will now be offering pacers every 30 seconds!

This means we got your covered!

Pace Times (from 20min): 20, 19.30, 19.00, 18.30, 18.00, 17.30, 17.00, 16.30, 16.00

ANOTHER RACE EXTRA TO BE UNVEILED TOMORROW :-) (it's a good one......a very good one!)

*To my huge surprise, we will have over 20 in the sub-16 race. That race will be 100% a standalone fixture so get in now before entries close!!*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Will there be any pacers between 25 and 22 minutes? I can easily run 25 but there's no chance of me doing 22!
    I've signed up for the 25 minute one anyway but was hoping to transfer.

chickey2 wrote: »
    Will there be any pacers between 25 and 22 minutes? I can easily run 25 but there's no chance of me doing 22!
    I've signed up for the 25 minute one anyway but was hoping to transfer.

Pacing Times:
    25, 24, 23, 22, 21
    20, 19.30, 19.00, 18.30, 18.00. 17.30, 17.00, 16.30, 16.00

Plenty of options :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Pacing Times:
    25, 24, 23, 22, 21
    20, 19.30, 19.00, 18.30, 18.00. 17.30, 17.00, 16.30, 16.00

Plenty of options :D

Thanks! Looking forward to it, it sounds like a great event.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

So any tips from the experts on how to run a 5000m compared to a 5km.

I'm normally sprinting off the front in order to get the buggy around the first corner, and then hanging on for all I'm worth. Sensibly paced parkruns are relatively few and far between currently. But tomorrow evening there should be a pacer running at 10 seconds quicker than I've ever run and 15 more of us following them around hoping to come in within a minute of them assuming that our predictions were all accurate. The Garmin isn't going to be an accurate pace predictor for telling me how to run 3 seconds a lap slower than the pacer and I don't know the other people in my race to know that I should be just infront of that person and just behind the other person in normal circumstances. Is sticking in the back of a group even if they are going a second too quick (not that I'd know) a good plan and then hoping for the best.

The last time I ran on a track was possibly getting on for 10 years ago in a graded meet in Dublin, and I made an absolute balls of the pacing that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

(not an expert!)

Will there be a clock at the finish line? There usually is. If not, use your Garmin as a stopwatch, checking it every time you cross the line. You should know how long each lap should take you to run.

You are better off running in a group than on your own. If there is a pacer, stick with the pace group. Run at the back of the group if you think the pacer is going to be a little too fast, but stay in the group. Sticking to the back should make it easier to stay in lane 1.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Should be a clock at the finish. I have a tricky enough time adding up mile times in a marathon to figure out if still on pace or not, can't see my brain being able to work fast enough to calculate lap times, best hope might be to try and memorise a couple and hope that I can read the lap counter.

If I can run hugging the kerb and hopefully then running less than 5000m I will be. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

robinph wrote: »
    Should be a clock at the finish. I have a tricky enough time adding up mile times in a marathon to figure out if still on pace or not, can't see my brain being able to work fast enough to calculate lap times, best hope might be to try and memorise a couple and hope that I can read the lap counter.

If I can run hugging the kerb and hopefully then running less than 5000m I will be. :)

Lap time pressing every km, you can learn 5 splits and from there you have 200m splits for the race :D

Seriously though get on board the pace train forget about the watch and focus on staying relaxed and have faith the pacers to do there job.

Lap time pressing every km, you can learn 5 splits and from there you have 200m splits for the race :D

Seriously though get on board the pace train forget about the watch and focus on staying relaxed and have faith the pacers to do there job.

I'm definitely going for the time that makes round number kilometre splits.

Well that was easier than expected.

Obviously a very tough run, but was way easier to run on the red line around a track than around a field pushing a buggy. With splits being shouted out every 200m then you spend the time until the next split trying to figure out what it meant for your pace, then someone else shouts something else at you.

There were two pacers for my heat at 17 and 17:30. The first 200m were a bit lively from both of them but I spotted very soon and backed off immediately and waited for the 17:30 guy to come back to me. Was next to no wind, just a slight breeze on the back straight, and after a few laps felt like running a second or two quicker than the pacer so had moved infront but didn't really manage to pull away. Did pick off a few people who had got carried away with the first lap on the way.

For the final couple of laps the pacer came back past and kept me going. Did loose touch slightly then in the last 200m but only a couple of meters. Finished in 17:35 which is a good bit of my PB, but is a fair representation of my current abilities and shows that a few of the local parkruns courses must be a bit short.

Very happy with my pacing though. Was chip timed and I only had a 4 second variation in lap time all the way through despite me running infront of the pacer for over half the race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Hi,
    any update on the timetable ?

F.

twerg_85 wrote: »
    Hi,
    any update on the timetable ?

F.

Announced later today!

Thanks again for all the support. Click on image for full photo.

From FB:

~~~ PROVISIONAL TIMETABLE ~~~

We are very excited to announce your Provisional Timetable for the 2018 edition of 'Day of Irish PB's'. This, of course, is subject to change and alteration but you can now plan for the day you run the race of your life!

After some very welcome feedback, we have decided to now open the 'Transfer Window' on Monday, July 9th. The window will then close at 5pm, Wednesday, July 11th. This will give you some additional time to train that bit harder and go for an even faster time!

We are now very limited in many races, with the 18, 17 and 16 minute times proving EXTREMELY popular!

This will undoubtedly be the best Irish athletics event yet to place in 2018 :)

So, get the runners on and train like a demon!

Yours in running,
    Team PB :)

#breakyourPB

image4.md.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

My singlet and bib arrived today. Sh*t is getting real!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

My singlet and bib arrived today. Sh*t is getting real!

Mine too, its quite nice actually, makes a change from the tshirts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Wottle

Mine came today as well, love the singlet.

Had been going well but last 7 days have seen my sore knee flare up, so been trying to manage it. Had a very active summer camp this week, so not a lot of chances to rest up.
    Will still be there on the day trying to hang on to the sub 20 train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

My singlet arrived today. It's facking awesome.

In fact, i'm going to test drive it right now.

Thanks all - delighted with the singlet (the pacers one is equally good!)

I hope all got their right size (I packed them all - took ages!). We will try to accommodate singlet swaps if your size is off on the day......must be clean though :pac:!

We still have sizes in M, L and very limited XL for all those still registering. You may not get a personalised named bib but everything else is included! Glasses arriving next week and beer being kept away from known offenders until race day :D

Things are getting real!

davedanon wrote: »
    In fact, i'm going to test drive it right now.

Don't even try to return it for a different size on Saturday week :D

• Advertisement

Don't even try to return it for a different size on Saturday week :D

Sure I only did a little session-ette in it. Barely broke a sweat in this weather.

Actually, it's fine. It's a large, but fits like a medium.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

+1 on the singlet, great quality, fair play A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Thanks very much for the singlet. It's a lovely design & colour. (Just checking, if anyone here on boards got am XS and would like to swop for an S let me know! Haven't worn mine yet so it's nice & clean for a swop :))

Does anyone know the L Chéile track? Do you think all the parking will be filed up early? Are most of you intending to arrive at 2pm, or just in time to warm up for your own race?

My friend's race is about 30 mins before mine, so we thought we'd arrive before hers, maybe at 3? Are we likely to get a parking space then?

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Thanks very much for the singlet. It's a lovely design & colour. (Just checking, if anyone here on boards got am XS and would like to swop for an S let me know! Haven't worn mine yet so it's nice & clean for a swop :))

Does anyone know the L Chéile track? Do you think all the parking will be filed up early? Are most of you intending to arrive at 2pm, or just in time to warm up for your own race?

My friend's race is about 30 mins before mine, so we thought we'd arrive before hers, maybe at 3? Are we likely to get a parking space then?

Hey, we don't envisage too much trouble with parking. Given that the carpark is large and that the participant level is spread throughout the day, we think it will be well managed. I am one to talk, but we advise people to use Public Transport wherever possible! If the carpark is full, there are plenty of nearby places to park.

We will go into more detail on the prerace briefing before Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Thanks all - delighted with the singlet (the pacers one is equally good!)

I hope all got their right size (I packed them all - took ages!). We will try to accommodate singlet swaps if your size is off on the day......must be clean though :pac:!

We still have sizes in M, L and very limited XL for all those still registering. You may not get a personalised named bib but everything else is included! Glasses arriving next week and beer being kept away from known offenders until race day :D

Things are getting real!

I arrived home from holidays to two packages. :):)

My mistake as I couldn't remember if I had registered before I went on holidays a few weeks ago and convinced myself that I didn't and couldn't find any emails so registered again in case I missed out.

I'm quite happy to have two singlets as they are excellent quality and a perfect fit. I even took one for a test run this afternoon :D.

Am just letting you know as it might free up a spot for someone else to take on Saturday.

Btw fair play on all the work you are putting into this and have no doubt it will be a great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Wottle

Wore my singlet this evening in a 3K race by Bray Runners, 11:27, Saturday going to be close

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Hey, we don't envisage too much trouble with parking. Given that the carpark is large and that the participant level is spread throughout the day, we think it will be well managed. I am one to talk, but we advise people to use Public Transport wherever possible! If the carpark is full, there are plenty of nearby places to park.

We will go into more detail on the prerace briefing before Saturday.

Very handy for the train BTW. Just a jog up from Leixlip Louisa Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Registered there yesterday, thought i had previously registered but when everyone started getting singlets i double checked the emails and turns out i didnt!

Will singlet etc be collected at track on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Hi guys,

I'll be on the mic on Saturday so if you have any specific song you'll like played during your race just let me know and we'll try to get it sorted.

Remember this will be yur time in the sun so enjoy and smile !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭lenny palmer

I have a 19 minute slot booked, however I won't be able to make it. I'm under doctors orders not to run. It might free up a place for someone else

Advertisement