Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupy Galway Group (mod note added)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

inisboffin wrote: »
    Again, how do we know what is going to be 'relevant'. If there wasn't a specific parallel protest sometime somewhere to what's going on globally, why does that mean it can't happen for the first time? I'm sure if there was a thread about dumping boxes of tea or sitting eight seats up on public transport, a 'whole hape' of people on boards would be jumping in with their tuppence about it asking for 'relevant' examples.

Those references were protests for something attainable and viable. To make demands to run the IMF out of the country and to take all the money back out of the banks is insanity and would hurt everyone include those the protests are trying to protect. Where do the protesters think their dole money will come from while they mess around on the square. Social welfare would be one of the first things on the chopping block considering a welfare spend of 21B euro which is insane! If the protestors got their way they would consign a lot of people including themselves to the breadline and will find that a tent will be where they will live permanently without IMF dole money!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

The ultimate irony is that capitalism paid for their tents :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Capitalism never paid for anything. Common work paid for them tents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

zarquon wrote: »
    Those references were protests for something attainable and viable.

Attainable and viable? Surely that's subjective? If everything seemed so 'attainable and viable' at the time, surely the powers that be would have allowed it, no? If it was attainable and viable why were there protests at all? Doesn't always work that way as we have seen.
    There is absolutely no way that you can be 100% sure that *these* protests will not help attain at least part of what people want. This is a circular argument imo. Also not everyone involved in the Galway protests is on the dole, like you keep mentioning. Nor are they all 'serial protesters'. We see what we want to, don't we?

This is a circular argument imo. Also not everyone involved in the Galway protests is on the dole, like you keep mentioning. Nor are they all 'serial protesters'. We see what we want to, don't we?

I agree, it is circular. There are dividing opinions on this and they will not change - that's life. I keep mentioning the dole because i personally know some of the lads down there quite well and they haven't had a job in years. Those same lads haven't tried too hard either to find work. And of those lads 2 of them are serial protesters - FACT!! I know them and know they are bandwagon protesters. I will say that not everyone down there is the same, but if you can squat on eyre square 24x7 then you are on the dole - FACT! There are those who come and go but the majority are permanently placed and the IMF are funding this party of theirs every dole day. Why have they not mentioned welfare reform? When they add that to their list of demands they will earn my respect but if they were told tomorrow that IMF funding was being used in the next budget to give a 100% increase across the board in welfare payments then their tune would change quite quickly as they have a vested interest in this.

• Advertisement

I agree, it is circular. There are dividing opinions on this and they will not change - that's life. I keep mentioning the dole because i personally know some of the lads down there quite well and they haven't had a job in years. Those same lads haven't tried too hard either to find work. And of those lads 2 of them are serial protesters - FACT!! I know them and know they are bandwagon protesters. I will say that not everyone down there is the same, but if you can squat on eyre square 24x7 then you are on the dole - FACT! There are those who come and go but the majority are permanently placed and the IMF are funding this party of theirs every dole day. Why have they not mentioned welfare reform? When they add that to their list of demands they will earn my respect but if they were told tomorrow that IMF funding was being used in the next budget to give a 100% increase across the board in welfare payments then their tune would change quite quickly as they have a vested interest in this.

I'll repeat. Not everyone down there is on the dole - (also FACT from knowing people myself).
    I'm not doubting you know someone who is but you can't sweepingly refer to everyone involved in the same way. Not everyone is there 24/7 either.

I'll repeat. Not everyone down there is on the dole - also FACT from knowing people myself.
    I'm not doubting you know someone who is but you can't sweepingly refer to everyone involved in the same way. Not everyone is there 24/7 either.

I never said that all were there 24x7 nor did i say all were on the dole. I suggest you read what i say more carefully before incorrectly responding. Would all those protesters suddenly stop being anti-capitalists if a large global organisation went down their and offer them jobs with six figure salaries? I stand by my opinion that if any of the protesters were offered the opportunity to leap into the so called "1%" they would do it without a 2nd thought for their 99% peers.

The words FACT typed a lot tend to provoke a response from me. But it is late. FACT.

I never said that all were there 24x7 nor did i say all were on the dole. I suggest you read what i say more carefully before incorrectly responding. Would all those protesters suddenly stop being anti-capitalists if a large global organisation went down their and offer them jobs with six figure salaries? I stand by my opinion that if any of the protesters were offered the opportunity to leap into the so called "1%" they would do it without a 2nd thought for their 99% peers.

Ah. Now you're clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Wompa1 wrote: »
    The ultimate irony is that capitalism paid for their tents :D

No I think ultimate irony was witnessed at Dale Farm last week - travellers that didn't want to travel :D

• Advertisement

Ah. Now you're clear.

Of course, we are all discussing our opinions here, that is the purpose of a forum. Every ideology is an opinion. Your posts are your opinion too so i guess you're clear now also ;)

Of course, we are all discussing our opinions here, that is the purpose of a forum.

Oh! Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,764 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Canvasser wrote: »
    They're making Eyre Square look like a halting site :mad:

In fairness, there are more (badly written) signs that you see in the average halting site. And less rubbish.

But I wonder what proportion of Galway's tents are occupied? Ref: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/8846402/Only-one-in-10-St-Pauls-protesters-stay-overnight.html

• Registered Users Posts: 25,764 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

mikom wrote: »
    "Won't somebody please think of the protestors"

That's a bunch of lame reasons if ever I read them.

I'm kinda picking that there are a high proportion of medical card holders, so the taxpayer will pick up the bill if they get sick, or if they lose their accommodation. Am thinking of the taxpayer....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

biko wrote: »

Capitalists (i.e. those that hold capital) paid for the materials & wages of those common workers.

Therefore capitalism (i.e. the creation of capital) has paid for a lot of things that workers have produced (unless the workers live in a communist country).

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

antoobrien wrote: »
    Capitalists (i.e. those that hold capital) paid for the materials & wages of those common workers.

Therefore capitalism (i.e. the creation of capital) has paid for a lot of things that workers have produced (unless the workers live in a communist country).

You have it back to front. Where does capital come from, except from the exploitation of labour? As for materials, they derive ultimately from the natural ecology to which all human beings belong, and which has finite resources - whereas the current system demands exponential growth and is therefore unsustainable.

padraig71 wrote: »
    You have it back to front. Where does capital come from, except from the exploitation of labour? As for materials, they derive ultimately from the natural ecology to which all human beings belong, and which has finite resources - whereas the current system demands exponential growth and is therefore unsustainable.

No, I don't have it backwards.

Here's the simplistic version:

I make something, I sell it and generate profit. I use the profit to make more items for sale. If I make profit than I can spend with my current resources this becomes becomes capital.

I use this capital to expand my production resources, meaning I can employ people (labour) in order to produce goods generating more profit. My employees get rewarded for their work through various means, among these salary, shares in the company, profit sharing schemes etc.

I strike a balance between paying the workers enough to keep them motivated and keep the costs down. We generate more profit, hence more capital.

Captialism did pay for the tent (unless it was made in China).

The materials may well be derived from nature, but they do cost money (capital) to process into usable form.

Next you'll be telling me that the marxist theory of utility (equating an apple tart to a mud pie) is valid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

Theres quite a difference between the 'fianna fail' ahem.. "fundraising" (bribery) tent at the Races and the tents in Eyre Sq. Also illuminating that people are more 'occupied' sic with their own sense of the public cosmetic than they were about the nepotism, solicitation etc. that went on under the formers particular flapping canvas of Ballybrit.

Shakti wrote: »
    Theres quite a difference between the 'fianna fail' ahem.. "fundraising" (bribery) tent at the Races and the tents in Eyre Sq. Also illuminating that people are more 'occupied' sic with their own sense of the public cosmetic than they were about the nepotism, solicitation etc. that went on under the formers particular flapping canvas of Ballybrit.

The funny thing about the Ballybrit tent was it was there oin the open and nobody (that I remember) said a word about it.

Oh yeah and the fact that it wasn't breaking any laws.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

I might drive past the lot later and throw some stale bread their way while shouting "here a taste of communism for ya"

:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Galway posters attack wrong Galway tent.
    Ten years too late folks.

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    I might drive past the lot later and throw some stale bread their way while shouting "here a taste of communism for ya"

:cool:

Maybe we should post this on their facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

No, I don't have it backwards.

Here's the simplistic version:

I make something, I sell it and generate profit. I use the profit to make more items for sale. If I make profit than I can spend with my current resources this becomes becomes capital.

I use this capital to expand my production resources, meaning I can employ people (labour) in order to produce goods generating more profit. My employees get rewarded for their work through various means, among these salary, shares in the company, profit sharing schemes etc.

I strike a balance between paying the workers enough to keep them motivated and keep the costs down. We generate more profit, hence more capital.

Captialism did pay for the tent (unless it was made in China).

The materials may well be derived from nature, but they do cost money (capital) to process into usable form.

Next you'll be telling me that the marxist theory of utility (equating an apple tart to a mud pie) is valid.

Thank you, I know how the capitalist system works. The trouble is that it is has several key features that make it unsuitable for the problems now facing the human species, such as climate change and diminishing natural resources. Here are some of them:

1. It is unsustainable because it relies on exponential economic growth. This is driven by consumerism, i.e. people buying things they don't need and that don't make them happy, to the detriment of the planetary ecosystem.

2. It is dishonest in its accounting, because it does not include 'external' costs such as damage to the environment. Nor does it place any value on useful activities that do not produce profit, e.g. volunteering or housework.

3. It is amoral, because it does not distinguish intrinsically good from intrinsically bad profit-making activities - e.g. selling cluster bombs from selling cakes.

4. It tends towards more unequal societies, with various undesirable consequences for people's wellbeing.

Anyone who is interested in learning more, here are a few books to start with:

'Small is beautiful' by EF Schumacher
    'Prosperity without growth' by Tim Jackson
    'The spirit level' by Richard Wilkinson & Kate Pickett

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭liamhana

I normally don't reply on threads of this nature but the demands that protesters are talking about and have signs up about are driving me mad:
    Wanting an election- this govt was elected by a majority months ago, the current parties have still a majority in the polls of 36&20% and MHD/SG will probably win the election so thats democracy.
    No household charges/ stealth charges - fine but if we don't do this well that's going to have to mean return to tax rates of 40 at the lower end and 60 at the higher. At least household water taxes will via metering link to usage(environmental plus)
    Tax the rich- no problem we should close off tax breaks, which can only be done by a govt who are in power long enough to tackle them.
    Alternative govt/ system- the vote of soc worker etc shows that there is limited support for this.
    Finally if occupy Galway wants to achieve something how about they live by their principles : all donations to the camp should be passed onto Cope/shelters. Donate your savings/income/dole to the movement and live collectively.
    Amazing the clarity of a sitting up at 3 am with a sick child ....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Storm 10

The people who are camped outside St Pauls Cathedral in London agreed last night according to Sky News to take away the tents, I think its time now for the people in Eyre Square to do the same, as I said in previous posts nothing can come out of this and it looks like a kip.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    The people who are camped outside St Pauls Cathedral in London agreed last night according to Sky News to take away the tents, I think its time now for the people in Eyre Square to do the same, as I said in previous posts nothing can come out of this and it looks like a kip.

Has it changed since yesterday? I thought they were going to just move some tents around. The church itself seems pretty divided on what to do. Guardian Article from yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

I realised capitalism does not work earlier this year when I met an American military person on holidays in Switzerland who started giving out about Irish banks when he heard my accent.

The 'poor sod', on leave from terrorising people in Iraq, told me he lost a lot of money on AIB and BOI shares. I asked him had he ever been to Ireland or did he know anything about Ireland, but he hadn't.

All he knew is that he got 'burned' because he speculated on what was supposed to be a booming investment.

The problem is that people like him (shareholders) are deemed to be more important than the people who actually work for companies and actually 'make' products.

So fair play to the people in the tents at Eyre Square.

At least they stand for something other than cronyism, corruption, offering builders access to Government ministers, and laughing at the ordinary people outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

biko wrote: »

Capital being generated by the many multi-nationals in Galway Medtronic, Boston Scientific, Avaya, HP, SAP etc.

Galway thrives off it

celty wrote: »
    I realised capitalism does not work earlier this year when I met an American military person on holidays in Switzerland who started giving out about Irish banks when he heard my accent.

The 'poor sod', on leave from terrorising people in Iraq, told me he lost a lot of money on AIB and BOI shares. I asked him had he ever been to Ireland or did he know anything about Ireland, but he hadn't.

All he knew is that he got 'burned' because he speculated on what was supposed to be a booming investment.

The problem is that people like him (shareholders) are deemed to be more important than the people who actually work for companies and actually 'make' products.

So fair play to the people in the tents at Eyre Square.

At least they stand for something other than cronyism, corruption, offering builders access to Government ministers, and laughing at the ordinary people outside.

That's actually captialism at work. The person you were talking to is just a f**king idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

That's actually captialism at work. The person you were talking to is just a f**king idiot.

Not really, Anto,

It's a globalised system which prioritise people half way across the planet who invest in companies over the people who actually produce things by working for those companies that is wrong.

Go to any touristy third world country and see 'first worlders' taking advantage of the poverty and despair of others to realise that the whole system is wrong.

The people in the Eyre Square tents believe in something. The people in the Fianna Fail tent believed in enriching themselves and their cronies at the expense of everyone else.

That's why this country is f--ked. Because of greed and a rotten system.

That's why idiots such as Sean Gallagher have the neck to run for public office even AFTER their party bankrupted this land.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement