Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupy Galway Group (mod note added)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

Ah sure lookit!

Let them off, who are they hurting? They want a voice, and they want to stand up for what they think is right without violence, and in this day and age it's very tough to get people to listen unless you do something drastic.

Now if a couple of people mount a peaceful protest in Eyre Square for a few days or even a few weeks, who are we to hold it against them?

It shouldn't bother us if they aren't at work when they are supposed to, or maintaining a tidy/clean home while they camp out.

They have taken over, what is it ? Like 15feet x 15feet of concrete that isn't actually in anyones way, and being so peaceful that bar a few signs, you wouldnt even know they were there.

Let them off, if we care that much, sure we can pitch a tent beside them and counter protest, rather than bashing them on a forum just for the sake of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

-Vega- wrote: »
    Like 15feet x 15feet
    We normally use Metres here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Skopzz wrote: »
    -Vega- wrote: »
    Like 15feet x 15feet

In common conversation, not always. Depends on your age.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,504 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I suggest that you go and talk to them, If you are in Galway as your name might suggest.

You will find that many have jobs and are going there in their spare time and those that are unemployed? That is one of the problems that they would like a solution for. And before you say it, yes I know there are people in this world who do not want to work.

The feed back that I am getting from my Daughter, who goes down there as often as she can, is very positive with regard to the reaction from the public who stop and talk with them. And that is what counts, not what we ramble about on here.

FlashD.
    Of course the poster may not be from Galway but some things you have to take at face value until you're shown otherwise.

Yeah im from Galway. Im not having a go at them but TBH i think most of these people are way too idealistic for the real world. We are lumped with a massive debt, you me and every other working person has to pay it off whether we like it or not. And while we are doing it these people sitting on the square wont change that one iota.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

FlashD.
    Of course the poster may not be from Galway but some things you have to take at face value until you're shown otherwise.

Alright man, I hear you.

Boards is the last place I'd take anything at face value until I see the evidence, but that's just me.

Regards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

JustMary wrote: »

I'd be far happier if their protest didn't involve breaking the law (re overnight camping in Eyre Square) and moving into substandard accommodation (where do they shower? what's the chances of them getting sick and needing hospital care as it get colder? who's looking after the houses they're supposed to be living in?).

"Won't somebody please think of the protestors"

That's a bunch of lame reasons if ever I read them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Yeah im from Galway. Im not having a go at them but TBH i think most of these people are way too idealistic for the real world. We are lumped with a massive debt, you me and every other working person has to pay it off whether we like it or not. And while we are doing it these people sitting on the square wont change that one iota.

Too idealistic? I can't really argue with you there but remember, if you're trying to negotiate it's always better to start high and come down.

It's not just the working people who are paying off the debt, a lot of people are out of work because of the debt crisis and many people who were already on the bread line are now below it.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

Skopzz wrote: »

Solid contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,504 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Too idealistic? I can't really argue with you there but remember, if you're trying to negotiate it's always better to start high and come down.

It's not just the working people who are paying off the debt, a lot of people are out of work because of the debt crisis and many people who were already on the bread line are now below it.

I agree with you 100%, the ordinary people have to carry the can for mistakes the last Government made. I dont remember the last recession in the 80s as i was just a kid but this one must be worse.

well I was right. I was in town yesterday and spoke to some of them for over 25 mins

I got them to explain to me why they were there. One by one I picked apart everything they said to show how ridiculous their arguments were.

A summary of the conversations went something like this

First one:
    They want the IMF out
    - Ok, if they leave do they take their money with them?
    Yes
    - Who pays for the running of the country then?
    Take the money back out of the banks
    - Firstly that is no longer possible, its not "in" the banks, secondly if you could do that all banks in the country would go to the wall. Where would we get our money from then?
    errr, ummm, ahhh, err
    - exactly!

Next one:
    Government does not represent the people
    - but they were elected by democratic elections a year ago
    But they dont represent everyone, if they did they would be doing more to help
    - like what
    debt forgivness for people in arrears
    - so if there is debt forgiveness, what happens to that debt
    its written off
    - but who takes the loss?
    the banks
    - so you're saying that the loss-making banks which require billions of aid to stay afloat should take more losses
    yes, screw 'em
    - you do realise that if that is done it will result in the banks requiring billions more in aid
    errr, ummm, err
    - exactly!

and so on

Dont get me wrong, I have nothing against people having a protest, however these occupy movements are among the most stupid things i have ever witnessed in my life

Well-meaning people protesting with a set of demands that would cause the national & global economies to implode if enacted achieves nothing more than making a few people morally superior to others

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Negotiate, are you seriously suggesting that these people are in a position to negotiate! The only thing this is doing is bringing some extra media awareness (as if that's needed anyway, it's not like the media don't talk about the economic problems). They are not negotiating with anyone, their demands are unattainable, much like a 5 year old child asking for a ferrari from Santa. Idealistically it would be wonderful, but no chance in a realistic world. They can keep demanding, but it will not change anything.
    First one:
    They want the IMF out
    - Ok, if they leave do they take their money with them?
    Yes
    - Who pays for the running of the country then?
    Take the money back out of the banks
    - Firstly that is no longer possible, its not "in" the banks, secondly if you could do that all banks in the country would go to the wall. Where would we get our money from then?
    errr, ummm, ahhh, err
    - exactly!

Next one:
    Government does not represent the people
    - but they were elected by democratic elections a year ago
    But they dont represent everyone, if they did they would be doing more to help
    - like what
    debt forgivness for people in arrears
    - so if there is debt forgiveness, what happens to that debt
    its written off
    - but who takes the loss?
    the banks
    - so you're saying that the loss-making banks which require billions of aid to stay afloat should take more losses
    yes, screw 'em
    - you do realise that if that is done it will result in the banks requiring billions more in aid
    errr, ummm, err
    - exactly!

Exactly the problem. We are dealing with a bunch of activists with no real understanding of how the economy actually operates. Their so called demands would actually destroy the country, cause even more severe joblessness and have a lot more people on the breadline. I'll lend my ear to educated economists rather than the ramblings of unknowledgable tent dwellers who insanely think they're in a position to actually change policy with their crazy suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,182 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Yeah their "protest" seems a bit pointless to me. Its not going to achieve anything. In a few weeks they will get bored or sick of living like bums and they will just go home. I might go down later and ask them what they hope to achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 sword of light

Completely agree.While we all empathise with their cause in some way or another, and can see to a certain extent what they are trying to achieve, I can't see how occupying Eyre Square is going to help anyone. What's the point? Eyre Square has got nothing to do with anything. Most of the banks in Galway are small branches(in regional terms) so I fail to see what this localised campaign is going to gain. It seems to me to be just an idealistic copy of the arab spring movement. We all know neither situation is comparable. It's slowly going to become an eyesore on our beloved Square. Imagine if members of the travelling community decided to set up camp there demanding recognition for their way of life? There would be rí-rá and ruaille buaille from the whole town I'm sure. I also fail to see the whole 99% argument. How can you purport to represent the 99% when you can’t even get a 1,000 likes on Facebook? (Galway has about 71,240 registered Facebook users.) You’re going to need a massive sign-up to come anywhere near the 99% argument. It’s just a clever little PR ploy that may be applicable in capitalist, tax-breaks-for-the-rich US or somewhere, but really has nothing to do with Galway. There is no question that the government has the majority of the blame to shoulder for our situation, the Irish economy owes it's downfall primarily to it's over reliance on the property market. When you look at our history, land, and it's ownership, is at the centre of society. Think of the Bull mcCabe in the field, or all the famine years where the threat of eviction or emigration was always hanging over us. A man wasn't a man until he owned his own plot/house. This unfortunately got ingrained in our DNA and left us pre-disposed to getting caught up in a property bubble when cheap credit became available. This is what makes us slightly different from everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

zarquon wrote: »
    Negotiate, are you seriously suggesting that these people are in a position to negotiate! The only thing this is doing is bringing some extra media awareness (as if that's needed anyway, it's not like the media don't talk about the economic problems). They are not negotiating with anyone, their demands are unattainable, much like a 5 year old child asking for a ferrari from Santa. Idealistically it would be wonderful, but no chance in a realistic world. They can keep demanding, but it will not change anything..

I'm sure that most people realised that when I used the term "negotiate" it was meant to mean being flexible and open minded.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭Storm 10

this thread is just becoming boring, nothing will be gained by this group in Eyre Square no matter how long they stay there, its a complete waste of time , just look at the war in Iraq what was gained by all the World wide protests it still went ahead. I think the Square is like a small hardstand its not the place to have this protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

if this guy is part of the 99% then I hope (despite the fact that I know I'm not) I'm part of the 1%

wow.jpg

I'm sure that most people realised that when I used the term "negotiate" it was meant to mean being flexible and open minded.

My point was not about the negotiating either, the focus was on the ever changing demands. Regardless of what they are, the demands are complete nonsense, we cannot kick the IMF out nor can we pull the liquidity from the banks. I'd be very supportive of this protest/movement if they actually protested for viable changes but right now it's little more than a circus act. When they pack up and go home, there will still be no change and the protests will be quickly forgotten for the side show that they were and some of this group will go back to their regular spots of protesting shell at rossport and protesting israel on shop street etc. Before you argue the toss with me i know a few of these protesters and YES, they are serial protestors, jumping on all the populous bandwagons. For them anti-goverenment anti-corporate, anti-capalist, anti-zion protests are a hobby and way of life. If the protestors put this much time and effort into job hunting they wouldn't have the free time to go around doing things like this. I don't have time to camp out and have craic for a few weeks on Eyre Square as i'm busy earning a wage that pays taxes that goes towards the social welfare payments most of these protestors pick up!!! I'll go down there and pick up a placard and join in if they add and prioritise heavy welfare spending cuts to the list of demands......but we all know they would never ask for that becuase that would be counter productive to their needs even though it's completely viable and would help the country greatly out of the mess we are in by reducing taxation needs on middle and lower income workers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭Storm 10

My point was not about the negotiating either, the focus was on the ever changing demands. Regardless of what they are, the demands are complete nonsense, we cannot kick the IMF out nor can we pull the liquidity from the banks. I'd be very supportive of this protest/movement if they actually protested for viable changes but right now it's little more than a circus act. When they pack up and go home, there will still be no change and the protests will be quickly forgotten for the side show that they were and some of this group will go back to their regular spots of protesting shell at rossport and protesting israel on shop street etc. Before you argue the toss with me i know a few of these protesters and YES, they are serial protestors, jumping on all the populous bandwagons. For them anti-goverenment anti-corporate, anti-capalist, anti-zion protests are a hobby and way of life. If the protestors put this much time and effort into job hunting they wouldn't have the free time to go around doing things like this. I don't have time to camp out and have craic for a few weeks on Eyre Square as i'm busy earning a wage that pays taxes that goes towards the social welfare payments most of these protestors pick up!!! I'll go down there and pick up a placard and join if if they had and prioritise heavy welfare spending cuts to the list of demands......but we all know they would never ask for that.

zarquon
    That is the best piece I have seen written here, as you say these guys are always at some protest or another the Air Show springs to mind, they will never change any Goverments mind about the EU and the IMF we are in this for the long haul like it or not.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    this thread is just becoming boring, nothing will be gained by this group in Eyre Square no matter how long they stay there, its a complete waste of time , just look at the war in Iraq what was gained by all the World wide protests it still went ahead. I think the Square is like a small hardstand its not the place to have this protest.

In fairness, I think while we can cite examples of protests that didn't work, we can also think of as many tiny ones that ended up having a significant impact. there's no way of knowing.

ThIqI.jpg

• Advertisement

inisboffin wrote: »
    In fairness, I think while we can cite examples of protests that didn't work, we can also think of as many tiny ones that ended up having a significant impact. there's no way of knowing.

So you think there's a chance that a dozen or so tent dwellers on Eyre square might cause the government to replan their current fiscal policies? :rolleyes:

So you think there's a chance that a dozen or so tent dwellers on Eyre square might cause the government to replan their current fiscal policies? :rolleyes:

Yes.

Roll eyes all you want, but world politics are way more interconnected that many people seem to think, so it's actually quite a few more than a dozen tents.

Yes.

Roll eyes all you want, but world politics are way more interconnected that many people seem to think, so it's actually quite a few more than a dozen tents.

Okay, place cite actual relevant examples of tiny minority group protests that have affected national and global fiscal policy in a major way during this current economic crash. (P.S. Remember i said RELEVANT ECONOMIC examples!) I roll my eyes because the group is too small to have an affect and most people i talk to commended the protesters for their stance initially but now to most that i know it's turned into a bit of a joke after a week of having craic on Eyre Square with ZERO effect!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yes.

Not to forget that this is an offshoot from a larger group in Dublin which in turn is an offshoot from an even larger group in NYC.
    This group can pressurise, not world govs, but local politicians to make better local decisions.

Tbh, when I read some of the "ah sure, what can you do" posts around boards I can see how people were led into this mess in the first place.
    You don't have to camp out in the square to make a difference. Just supporting them in text or speech is better than nothing.

I'd admire a man more for saying that they're wrong rather than the lax "it won't work" attitude. Have some conviction folks :D

biko wrote: »
    Not to forget that this is an offshoot from a larger group in Dublin which in turn is an offshoot from an even larger group in NYC.
    This group can pressurise, not world govs, but local politicians to make better local decisions.

Tbh, when I read some of the "ah sure, what can you do" posts around boards I can see how people were led into this mess in the first place.
    You don't have to camp out in the square to make a difference. Just supporting them in text or speech is better than nothing.

I'd admire a man more for saying that they're wrong rather than the lax "it won't work" attitude. Have some conviction folks :D

+1

(P.S. Remember i said RELEVANT ECONOMIC examples!)

Again, how do we know what is going to be 'relevant'. If there wasn't a specific parallel protest sometime somewhere to what's going on globally, why does that mean it can't happen for the first time? I'm sure if there was a thread about dumping boxes of tea or sitting eight seats up on public transport, a 'whole hape' of people on boards would be jumping in with their tuppence about it asking for 'relevant' examples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Canvasser

They're making Eyre Square look like a halting site :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Canvasser wrote: »
    They're making Eyre Square look like a halting site :mad:

Is that all you see?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Travellers in tents, that'll never happen.

• Advertisement

biko, conviction has nothing to do with it. I personally think a good load of bankers & politicans should be jailed for their roles. I am also a person with one of those silly mortgages that was given out in the good times.

That being said, if their demands were actually met and implemented the country would be screwed.

It is not possible, in any way, shape or form to implement their demands.

Therefore, the protest is utter nonsense

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement