Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupy Galway Group (mod note added)

Options
  • 14-10-2011 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭

I've just spotted a link in facebook to a group which has been set up to do in Galway what similar groups have done in Wall St and Dame St.

Here's the link

and here's what it says
    We are showing solidarity with #Occupy movements around the world.

Since the#OccupyWallStreet movement started on 17th September, #Occupy movements have sprung up around the globe. Our aim is to show solidarity with these movements and express a growing sense of frustration with social inequality and corporate greed among the people of Ireland. Austerity measures and mass unemployment are inflicting a lasting damage upon this country and still no one has been brought to justice for the greatest of crimes.

#OccupyGalway begins on Eyre Square at 12:00 P.M. on Saturday 15th October.

#OccupyGalway #OccupyEyreSquare #OccupyDublin #OccupyDameStreet #OccupyWallStreet #OccupyEverywhere
    I'm not part of this group, and I can't really see the point in what they are doing. I hope though, that the weather improves for them, and the late-nite revellers will leave them alone.

What do the Galway boardsies think of this? Will they stay the course, or give up after a day?

Update:
    Do discuss the politics of the occupy movement (particularly in Galway) and whether it's even a good idea - but any attempts at non adult civil discussion will get you banned. Edit, not just banned from thread as tried before but banned from the forum.
    If you try to personalise this discussion it will get you banned.
    Insulting other members will get you banned.
    Straying off topic will get you banned.
    Stupid jokes will get you banned.
    Calling the occupy members names (crusties, hippies, losers) or trying to belittle them will get you banned.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Bunch of ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Don't post in this thread any more Ronnie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Time for the Galway Alliance Against Occupation to step up to the plate. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Sorry Biko - the thread title reference to heroes / nutjobs wasn't well thought out, and could possibly draw silly responses. I've amended the title.

However good-intentioned / misinformed, this group's motives are, having a camp-site in Eyre Square is crazy unless there are enough of them and they are very well organised.

Will they expect the gardai to have someone there at night to stop the drunks messing with them? Hopefully not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

dilallio wrote: »

Being pedantic, there's no such time as 12 p.m. How can we take the rest of what they have to say seriously if they can't even get that correct :pac:

If they stay into the night, there's no way they'll be left alone. C'mon like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

c_man wrote: »
    dilallio wrote: »

Being pedantic, there's no such time as 12 p.m. How can we take the rest of what they have to say seriously if they can't even get that correct :pac:

Of course there is such a thing as 12 pm it's midday how else would you refer to it on a 12 hour clock?

Of course there is such a thing as 12 pm it's midday how else would you refer to it on a 12 hour clock?

You don't know what p.m. means do you...

Edit: After some brief wiki-ing, let's agree to disagree. Be of more use to argue about dividing by 0.

And get back to more important topic, can Galway serve as the hub for the overthrow of capitalism in its current form? Stay tuned

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

At any fraction of a second after 12 it is pm so there is 12pm for at least 59 seconds before you get to 12.01pm

Edit:
    Ok agreed.

Bunch of hippies won't achieve anything but getting their tents pissed on

At any fraction of a second after 12 it is pm so there is 12pm for at least 59 seconds before you get to 12.01pm

But they didn't specify how many seconds after midday.

I think I'll pop down to them tomorrow and air my grievances about this matter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

The usual bunch of hippies crusties and idealistic students, all of whom want the downfall of big corporations except of course the ones that make there phones computers music and trendy clothes.

• Advertisement

Just looking at the occupy Galway facebook page.
    One of the posts show a video of Steve Jobs saying he was a great man and they loved him.
    Was he not head of one of these big bad evil companies that these clowns want to get rid off.
    You could not make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

On the other hand they are actually out there protesting and doing something real instead of moaning on the internet and expecting/hoping someone else will fix the mess we're in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

But they didn't specify how many seconds after midday.

I think I'll pop down to them tomorrow and air my grievances about this matter.

are you sure its 12 noon?

12pm can also mean midnight!

to be save il meet you at both times and we can both demand justice for the 12 hour clock!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Jim Corr supports it, enough said:pac::rolleyes:

It makes me almost nostalgic, Quixotic protests against 'the Man' by a loose coalition of hippies, lefties and naive middle class students feeling guilty about their affluence. Just like the sixties and seventies.

All totally pointless of course. The most likely result is a litter problem and more expense for the hard pressed taxpayer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Being even more pedantic, (solar) noon is not until 13.22 in Galway tomorrow. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

They have some heavy hitting fans on their facebook with the likes of U2, NUI Galway Students Union, GMIT and the Galway Advertiser "liking there facebook page", wonder will any of our presidential candidates vote for the revolution? Be gas to see Michael D down there canvassing tomorrow!

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

Ronnie...........thanks for making me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

What are they going to occupy, a disappearing roundabout perhaps?

Are the idiots down there yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

What can ya say.

Some people just love getting rode by the banks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Good Thread on the Dame St group in the Irish Economy Forum.

General opinion is that yes they are out protesting but for the wrong things i.e unrealistic goals, 540 Billion in OIl and Gas to be returned to the Irish people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 hmurray3

Touching on a slightly different issue...why is it only ever the same (generally close-minded) hippies and crusties at every protest in Galway? I find myself shying away from today's Occupy Galway movement even though I agree with all the underlying principles (and would protest in my home country) just because I do not want to be associated with this group. It's a shame. I have run into these people on several occasions (at other protests, and my own kitchen table) and I can say that the majority of the time they have no idea what they are talking about and only pick up issues just for the sake of arguing. Anyways, I guess what I am asking is that if you agree with the Occupy movements and would like to peacefully protest would you please please join me today? So that I'm not left with the usual suspects? Afterall, protests shouldn't belong to just 1% either. Lets change the way the people of Galway view protests by bringing out a more diverse group with legitimate concerns and demands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

hmurray3 wrote: »
    Touching on a slightly different issue...why is it only ever the same (generally close-minded) hippies and crusties at every protest in Galway? I find myself shying away from today's Occupy Galway movement even though I agree with all the underlying principles (and would protest in my home country) just because I do not want to be associated with this group. It's a shame. I have run into these people on several occasions (at other protests, and my own kitchen table) and I can say that the majority of the time they have no idea what they are talking about and only pick up issues just for the sake of arguing. Anyways, I guess what I am asking is that if you agree with the Occupy movements and would like to peacefully protest would you please please join me today? So that I'm not left with the usual suspects? Afterall, protests shouldn't belong to just 1% either. Lets change the way the people of Galway view protests by bringing out a more diverse group with legitimate concerns and demands.

Just wondering how you know it is always 'the same group' at every protest, unless you too are at it and talking to people themselves? Is it by the 'look' of people you're assuming they're all the same type?
    To be honest I find that pretty closed minded in itself.

If people want to protest something or feel strongly enough aboutan issue, why not just do it for those reasons, and not for who you are or aren't 'seen associated with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

Are the idiots down there yet?

Have some respect. Even if they are not 100% right, they care about how thing are and they are trying to change something.

(instead of only trying to be smart on some silly internet forum)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Gal pal

biko wrote: »
    On the other hand they are actually out there protesting and doing something real instead of moaning on the internet and expecting/hoping someone else will fix the mess we're in.

Getting really tired of that point!

I don't have the friggin time to sit around the street protesting about the IMF and '*anker bankers' and blah, blah, blah.

Like many I've been affected by the recession too, but I'm working my butt off to keep my job, studying on the side to improve my qualifications, and am just trying to get on with my life.

Seriously can't stand people comparing us to the Greeks, and how we are push overs, and should be out on the street protesting.

Personally I thought the protest/riots in Greece looked disgraceful, it made them as a country look violatile and from the point of view of a foreign company looking to invest, it wouldn't have made a great impression at all.

You can kid yourself all you want with your homemade placards and banners but the real power is the money in your pocket and where you spend it.

If you don't agree with huge, multi-national companies, ie Apple, Arcadia and what ever group owns Tesco, Aldi, Lidl, etc (think its Walmart?) Spars/Centras, THEN STOP GIVING THEM YOUR MONEY!!!

It's called buying power and it is a lot more effective than protesting on the street.

As a country I think we look a lot more appealing to foreign companies than Greece, Spain, etc.

We work hard, (contrary to what you often read on boards) and in generally we just look like we have accepted our problems and are moving on and dealing with them.

We may not have gone mental on the streets, but we made our voices heard when we kicked FF out, and I also think we will be a lot more demanding of our politicians in the future (well I hope!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

inisboffin wrote: »
    Just wondering how you know it is always 'the same group' at every protest, unless you too are at it and talking to people themselves? Is it by the 'look' of people you're assuming they're all the same type?
    To be honest I find that pretty closed minded in itself.

If people want to protest something or feel strongly enough aboutan issue, why not just do it for those reasons, and not for who you are or aren't 'seen associated with.

To be fair, it very often is the same group at every protest.
    And it's quite reasonable to consider who one is seen or associated with. There's a bit of "boy who cried wolf" about those who protest at the drop of a hat, or social welfare payment as the case may be, and one is certainly justified in not wanting to let those people think that one approves of their actions. I'm sure there were plenty of well-intentioned protestors at the outset of the London riots, for example, but I wouldn't to be associated with any of that crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

I don't understand why they are copying americans?

Why was it american protests that inspired them to do this and not protests in other countries?

Surely the problems that exist in America are different to those in Europe. Last time I looked Wall St was in New York and we were part of the EU.

Completely confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

I was just down there, and they're stinking out Eyre Square.

You'd swear they were protesting against personal hygiene ffs.

Mod note - banned

FlashD wrote: »
    I don't understand why they are copying americans?

Why was it american protests that inspired them to do this and not protests in other countries?

Surely the problems that exist in America are different to those in Europe. Last time I looked Wall St was in New York and we were part of the EU.

Completely confused.

Its to be all trendy, they havent got a clue what there protesting at, i bet you most of them have I phones and laptops and trendy clothes down there, made my the very companies they want to overthrow.

• Advertisement

Red_Wake wrote: »
    I was just down there, and they're stinking out Eyre Square.

You'd swear they were protesting against personal hygiene ffs.

Hopefully the fire brigade go down and hose them outta it.

Mod note - banned

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement