Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupy Galway Group (mod note added)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

zarquon wrote: »
    WOW, so you mean that someone who was a C List musician 25 years ago who no one has heard of since dropped in for a bite to eat with the protesters!!! Well i take it all back so! Clearly the protests have been a monumental success based on this event. :rolleyes:If that is seriously the only highlight you can mention then that just shows how pointless the whole Occupy Galway thing is.

Well it's hardly as good as getting your picture taken with a prominent politician, but these things cost, ya see......

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

zarquon wrote: »
    WOW, so you mean that someone who was a C List musician 25 years ago who no one has heard of since dropped in for a bite to eat with the protesters!!! Well i take it all back so! Clearly the protests have been a monumental success based on this event. :rolleyes:If that is seriously the only highlight you can mention then that just shows how pointless the whole Occupy Galway thing is.

Ah now, come on..smile you might feel better :)

JustMary wrote: »

Well, well, well....
    THE ‘EMPTY’ TENTS at the Occupy London site outside St Paul’s Cathedral weren’t actually empty, protesters claim – and they say they have the footage to prove it.

On Monday, footage emerged recorded by The Telegraph newspaper, which purported to show that just one in ten tents at the protest site was occupied.
    The newspaper used thermal imaging to film the campsite and said the film showed that just 20 out of the 200 people present had stayed overnight in the tents.

However, a new video has emerged today filmed by some protesters themselves which they say proves that the original video is wrong.
    They claim that they used the same thermal imaging camera that The Telegraph used, and in the resulting video put on Youtube (below), it appears that the camera does not pick up the presence of protesters inside certain tents.

On Wednesday, a scientist speaking to The Guardian about the thermal imaging footage said that the camera used in the initial video would not be able to pick up the presence of a person inside the tents.

Good to know the tents are keeping the heat in JustMary.
    Would hate to see any of the protesters get the sniffles.......

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Im neutral in this but it should be interesting tomorrow when Michael D has his celebration party a few yards from the protest. He does claim to be an 'inclusive' president so I hope he at least has a chat with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

They've been there a few weeks now. What have they changed or got people thinking about? Nothing as far as I can see.

Samich wrote: »
    They've been there a few weeks now. What have they changed or got people thinking about? Nothing as far as I can see.

Much like FG so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭eire.man

Im neutral in this but it should be interesting tomorrow when Michael D has his celebration party a few yards from the protest. He does claim to be an 'inclusive' president so I hope he at least has a chat with them.

Michael being a man of the people and all that jazz will most definitely highlight the protest to the local, national and international media that will be in Eyre Sq for this. In fact I wouldn't put it past him reciting a few words on the occupy stage thingy!!

If people think MDH will run from the protestors they've got another thing comin, sure he probably knows half of them or more haha

Imagine if Gallagher had won!! now that would make me sad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Me again!

Occupy Galway my arse! If travellers moved into Eyre square there would be outrage and legislation would be invoked to have them moved! In a few weeks the square should be alive with business like last year with small traders who have got off their arses and created a buzz in the town. If these people manage to stop that they are absolute hyprociates. Time to pack up and go, point made now your only looking for hassle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

The Galway occupiers are really playing up to the stereotype of them having a total mish-mash of demands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

Fair play to the protesters; they are only the vanguard. It is clear that our democratic rights are being eroded piece by piece, and that democracy, unlike the interests of the financial elite, is not considered by the powers that be 'too big to fail'. Once we have pawned our assets to China, will we then be in a better position to protect human or civil rights? And while we rely for 90% of our energy needs on imports from all those healthy democracies in the Middle East?

Is the solution to massive over-leveraged debt to take on an even bigger leveraged debt? Do you know anyone who has gone to a loan shark to roll all their small debts into one big debt, and how did it work out for them? What do you think about the proposed European Stability Mechanism?

Of course, there are many diverse demands, just as the challenges and problems facing us are many and diverse. We may as well embrace change, as change is surely embracing us, whether we like it or not.

Anyone who automatically gives out about 'lefties' and makes jokes about communism should ask themselves whose economy they were really supporting with their credit-fuelled consumerism during the bubble. (Clue: five letters, starts with C, famously undemocratic regime in southeast Asia… The same people Bertie was trying to flog Coillte to not too long ago?)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Danakin

Me again! wrote: »
    Occupy Galway my arse! If travellers moved into Eyre square there would be outrage and legislation would be invoked to have them moved! In a few weeks the square should be alive with business like last year with small traders who have got off their arses and created a buzz in the town. If these people manage to stop that they are absolute hyprociates. Time to pack up and go, point made now your only looking for hassle!

I find it extremely difficult to believe that the protestors have, in any way, reduced business for anyone in Galway or that they are likely to do so. The Christmas market (which I imagine is what you are referring to) will go on as it did last year. There is no reason why the market and the protest cannot co-exist.

As with the protests throughout the world, this is a long-haul exercise. This issue must be kept at the forefront of the public debate and the debate among politicians for as long as it takes for the proper action to be taken on how to fix our society.

The point is not simply "made" and then the entire exercise is over. Continuing protest will be needed to prevent politicians from sweeping the whole thing under the carpet.

Also when we are soon subjected to further austerity in the budget, we could well see a swelling of these camps as more people come to realise that the protestors are defending the interests of the vast majority in society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Me again!

Danakin wrote: »

I find it extremely difficult to believe that the protestors have, in any way, reduced business for anyone in Galway or that they are likely to do so. The Christmas market (which I imagine is what you are referring to) will go on as it did last year. There is no reason why the market and the protest cannot co-exist.

As with the protests throughout the world, this is a long-haul exercise. This issue must be kept at the forefront of the public debate and the debate among politicians for as long as it takes for the proper action to be taken on how to fix our society.

The point is not simply "made" and then the entire exercise is over. Continuing protest will be needed to prevent politicians from sweeping the whole thing under the carpet.

Also when we are soon subjected to further austerity in the budget, we could well see a swelling of these camps as more people come to realise that the protestors are defending the interests of the vast majority in society.

if it doesn't effect the Market I have no problem with it. However if it does I will lose all respect for the protest and protestors. My pay cheque every week reminds me of the crap that went on and what they feel they are trying to keep in the public eye. I cannot afford to camp longterm in eyre sq. I have kids to support and I've used the ballot box to express my opinion. I fail to see what this protest could realistically achieve except to feed a few peoples egos and make them feel important!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Passed by yesterday and attempted to engage with one of the protestors, what i got was a rant and a sermon and roared at when i decided to walk away.

great way to encourage support.

ive no problem with protests as long as you dont put out those who are going about their everyday business.

personally i fail to see what camping out on eyre square will achive, people are complaining about globalisation yet continue to support those businesses.

people are complaining about lack of services yet would prefer to camp out in public rather than volounteer to help in these areas.

we can whinge and moan about the situation or we can try to work through it and make it better, yes the situation is not of our (most of us) making but we can either get on with making the most of our situation or sit around eyre square complaining about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Danakin

if it doesn't effect the Market I have no problem with it. However if it does I will lose all respect for the protest and protestors. My pay cheque every week reminds me of the crap that went on and what they feel they are trying to keep in the public eye. I cannot afford to camp longterm in eyre sq. I have kids to support and I've used the ballot box to express my opinion. I fail to see what this protest could realistically achieve except to feed a few peoples egos and make them feel important!!!

I appreciate that yourself and many others cannot camp long-term in Eyre Square or wherever. In fact, the protests in many places are swelled by non-campers during the day or for specific marches and that is fine.

The actual camping is only the symbolic part of the protests. In the original NYC protest fro example, only around 300 people continously camp but others lend them support at specific times or even online. The camping is just about creating a rallying point and a consistent symbol of defiance.

I think the achievement aspect is overplayed. All movements like this dvelop over time and often begin with a general feeling of frustration rather than centring on specific aims. Great piece about this in the SBP Agenda section today.

Public debate and raising of an issue can be goals themselves. I don't expect the protesters to change the world in weeks, months or an election cycle but keeping the issue in the public eye is important.

I don't think it's about ego or self-importance. They are trying to to highlight issues that are effecting all of us in Ireland and abroad and show solidarity with those in other countries doing the same.

Besides, camping in a park in Irish weather is definitely not enjoyable enough to be done for vanity!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I passed by them the other night, a good few people i know from seeing around Galway, the usual hippies and hipsters, i saw a few people that drink in those hipster bars i.e the salthouse and bierhaus.
    Anyway they wont be there this time next week, ive heard from someone in the know that the Guards are going to move in and get these people out before the xmas market starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,059 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I passed by them the other night, a good few people i know from seeing around Galway, the usual hippies and hipsters, i saw a few people that drink in those hipster bars i.e the salthouse and bierhaus.
    Anyway they wont be there this time next week, ive heard from someone in the know that the Guards are going to move in and get these people out before the xmas market starts.
    Off topic but what are you on about there?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Insert token South Park jibe:
    Link:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

If you want to know what JONJO is on about just look at his postings on the first 5 pages of this thread. He's still going on in the same way.

Quite boring really.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,059 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

If you want to know what JONJO is on about just look at his postings on the first 5 pages of this thread. He's still going on in the same way.

Quite boring really.
    Really couldn't be arsed, i was just interested to note that he seems to think The Salt House is frequented by hippys if thats what 'hipsters' are, i think Ti Neachtain is clearly their Galway home.

As for the 'tent city' they have made their point, i respect what they are doing but its time to wrap it up now in the next few weeks so i can have my Bratwurst and other Xmas delights :D

• Advertisement

Ex-Mayor urges removal of Eyre Square ‘eyesore’

October 28, 2011 - 6:15am Call for immediate end to 'Occupy Galway' protest

BY ENDA CUNNINGHAM

A city councillor has called for the immediate removal of the ‘Occupy Galway’ protestors from Eyre Square, warning they could be a target for thuggery on Hallowe’en Night.
    Councillor Mike Crowe called on the Gardaí and Council to move them on, saying they have created a terrible eyesore in a city focal point.
    “Camping in the manner they have been in Eyre Square is not on. I’ve complained to the City Council and to the Gardaí. They’ve made their point, and they have some valid points, but it’s past time for them to go,” said Cllr Crowe.

The voice of reason has spoken.......

Keep campin' folks.
    Plant a few trees while ye are at it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Wandered by today and a perfectly clean and neat occupation it was. Let the market work in cleanly around them and create some 'atmosphere' next month.

If the market and the occupation want to throw squelchy organic objects at Crowe please PM /me up front so I can see the fun happening in real time. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Mike Crowe...this lad's FF, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

If they annoy the likes of Crowe, they must be doing something right.

Agree with some people though that the ballot box is / was there for people to make their feelings known in February, but I guess this is part of a global movement and it shows their dedication that they are prepared to camp out in Eyre Square in this kind of weather.

During the infamous 'Fianna Fail' tent years at the Galway Races, Crowe and his ilk were like the pigs in Animal Farm, slapping each other on the back, securing rezonings for developers, all the time laughing at us peasants outside.

I guess he can't understand people doing something like this without any personal gain ... it's completely at odds with everything Fianna Fail stands for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

FlashD wrote: »
    Mike Crowe...this lad's FF, right?

Far right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

I don't think sitting out in Eyre Square will achieve much but each to their own.........but if it comes between supporting Occupy Galway or that shower FF then i'm behind the protesters all the way.

Some neck on this FF Crowe lad to be telling the public what to do. WHo does he think he is?

Shame on those who voted him to the council in the first place.

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/pricewatch/2011/09/27/governments-dont-rule-the-world-goldman-sachs-rules-the-world/

Maybe the Occupy People are right all along. If this trader is right, and he represents the type of people Mike Crowe and FF have been championing for years, then we really are all in deep trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

There is never a Psychotic "Lone Gunman" with a sniper rifle around when you need them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭JerryHispano

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=82HnGY2pCbQ

This was just idiotic, dangerous and pointless.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement