Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupy Galway Group (mod note added)

Options

Comments

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=82HnGY2pCbQ

This was just idiotic, dangerous and pointless.

No wonder people have such a negative opinion of some of these splinter occupy groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Elohim

Haha, feckin idiots blocking traffic in Clarinbridge. What do they achieve by doing this other than pissing the rest of the 99% off? And why do they always have to be wearing capes and have crap painted on their faces.

I always feel that when they dress and act like fools it really undermines their message because that's all I can focus on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

When I was in Thailand a few years ago lots of girls used to shout at me 'Elo Him!'

Sorry, what is the topic again? I got distracted :-o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭murraykil

Classic video! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Elohim

When I was in Thailand a few years ago lots of girls used to shout at me 'Elo Him!'

Sorry, what is the topic again? I got distracted :-o

Mihole they did, see what I did there :)
    Topic is rampaging hippies messing with the traffic in Clarinbridge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Elohim wrote: »
    And why do they always have to be wearing capes and have crap painted on their faces.

Cmon man, because they're just regular superheroes without any special powers, all the kids (15-25 age demographic) are into this craic these days.

..... haven't you seen 'Kickass'? :D

Had to laugh at the guy who couldn't decide whether to stand up or lie down...amateurs!

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭czx

such a load of comrades

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

What a bunch of absolute twats! I have no problem with the occupy movement but what is the point of pissing off ordinary people going about their business!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

I say fair play to them. Those fifteen minutes might get people thinking about who's the real enemy - five hippies in the middle of the road, or the financial elite who've created (and profit from) the current crises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Ex Bouncer

galwaybabe wrote: »
    What a bunch of absolute twats! I have no problem with the occupy movement but what is the point of pissing off ordinary people going about their business!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Just watched that clip from Clarinbridge........bunch of idiots....I would have hated to be in that traffic. Just looking at that clip has turned me completely off occupy Galway. The camp in Eyre Sq, you can walk passed it or support it, your choice.....the Clarinbridge stunt made you part of it. I cant believe the Gardai waked away without doing anything, like 5 arrests. anyone consider the effect on emergency services this had?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

markesmith wrote: »
    I say fair play to them. Those fifteen minutes might get people thinking about who's the real enemy - five hippies in the middle of the road, or the financial elite who've created (and profit from) the current crises.

Not really. More than likely the people stuck there were thinking: "I wish these f*ckers would get out of the way, I've places to be", rather than about the current economic woes.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

I sympathise 100% with the Occupy movement but I fail to see how this stunt advances its cause in any way.

For the grown-ups, I recommend this no-nonsense explanation of the ongoing anti-democratic financial putsch at a recent talk given in Dublin:

http://vimeo.com/31368223 (starts at about 12 and a half minutes in)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,182 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

They better get the f*ck out of eyre square before the christmas market arrives or I may have to set fire to their tents. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

MadYaker wrote: »
    They better get the f*ck out of eyre square before the christmas market arrives or I may have to set fire to their tents. :mad:

qouted before the inevitable edit (also archived)
    the garda wont have far to look if you carry out your threats
    unlike you the protestors are not commiting an offence
    also the sons of roisin didnt die so you could stuff your face with bratwurst from a market that has no link to galway or eyre sq.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Shakti wrote: »
    also the sons of roisin didnt die so you could stuff your face with bratwurst from a market that has no link to galway or eyre sq.

Love it. :D

Christmas market me hole.
    Last years one........ well, let's just say there was more atmosphere on the moon,,,,,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,060 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

qouted before the inevitable edit (also archived)
    Why does it need a link to Galway to open, is that what happens in every other city that has a Xmas market? Id say quiet a few of the hippies sorry protestors links to Galway could also be questioned going by your logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

What did bratwurst ever do to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

I think the image of the guy in the van peeling his orange as this group of egotists block traffic says more than any post ever could.

Why does it need a link to Galway to open, is that what happens in every other city that has a Xmas market?
    It doesnt and I never said it did, I support the real Galway City christmas market the one that traders had to fight for. The same local traders that have provided this city with a vibrant market all year round for donkeys years and thats were I will spend my money were you spend yours is entirely up to you.
    Id say quiet a few of the hippies sorry protestors links to Galway could also be questioned going by your logic.

What makes you think their hippies?
    They dont want to set up stalls and sell "continental"(contrived) produce they want to protest and they have a right to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,060 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

It doesnt and I never said it did, I support the real Galway City christmas market the one that traders had to fight for. The same local traders that have provided this city with a vibrant market all year round for donkeys years and thats were I will spend my money were you spend yours is entirely up to you.

What makes you think their hippies?
    They dont want to set up stalls and sell "continental"(contrived) produce they want to protest and they have a right to.
    I think most people approve of their right to protest, but its gone on long enough now.
    As for the market, i regularly buy in the saturday market but the Xmas market is a great attraction for galway and supports the local economy in terms of getting people into town and spending money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Danakin

I don't understand this point about the Christmas market.

No one has suggested that the market cannot go ahead alongside the protest as far as I can tell?

The protest and the Market can co-exist together quite easily.

How do you know the gardai won't have to look far? Sure the lad could be in Timbuktoo for all you know. Now that would be a fair stretch for Gardai.

I don't see anyone commiting an offence. Who put you in charge of policing the internet, self elected are you?

Regards

Sergeant wrote: »
    I think the image of the guy in the van peeling his orange as this group of egotists block traffic says more than any post ever could.

Probably glad to have the few minutes off from work. Sit back and relax. Nice excuse for the boss. :)

Danakin wrote: »
    I don't understand this point about the Christmas market.

No one has suggested that the market cannot go ahead alongside the protest as far as I can tell?

The protest and the Market can co-exist together quite easily.

it was not only suggested that they move the protest on because of the market, one poster threatened to burn them out if they didnt move. This bothered and worried me its all there in print --for you to read if your interested

FlashD wrote: »
    How do you know the gardai won't have to look far? Sure the lad could be in Timbuktoo for all you know. Now that would be a fair stretch for Gardai.

I don't see anyone commiting an offence. Who put you in charge of policing the internet, self elected are you?

Regards

I call it like I see it and I have no agenda. You perhaps are comfortable with the suggestion/threat/incitement of arson/violence I however am not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Me again!

It's plain to see that the protestors in eyre square are changing all our lives for the better. In the last few weeks the economy has turned around and it's clear from the G8 summit that world leaders are talking about eyre square and adopting their policies. Michael Noonan is clearly rowing back on the austerity measures. These people have given up their jobs and time to make the world a better place for us. I know that not one of them is claiming a cent from the state during these hard times. Their protest is working. Leave these people alone!!!!!

I call it like I see it and I have no agenda. You perhaps are comfortable with the suggestion/threat/incitement of arson/violence I however am not.

No i'm not but at the same time i'm not a guillable fool either who believes every sort of rubbish that gets posted on the internet.

Chill out, don't take things so literally!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Ex Bouncer

I dont believe the market and the protest can co-exist for two reasons:
    1. The stall owners will contribute for the privilage of being allowed to sell their products, and pay tax on their sales. If I was a stall owner, I would refuse to pay for space that occupy galway have for free. The space currently being occupied by the protesters was used last year for stalls, where will these stalls go this year.
    2. Like clarinbridge stunt, the general public were drawn into the protest. I have no doubt that occupy galway will take advantage of the visibility and their presence from people visiting the market. If I visit the market, I want to see the market, not the protest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭eire.man

Me again! wrote: »
    It's plain to see that the protestors in eyre square are changing all our lives for the better. In the last few weeks the economy has turned around and it's clear from the G8 summit that world leaders are talking about eyre square and adopting their policies. Michael Noonan is clearly rowing back on the austerity measures. These people have given up their jobs and time to make the world a better place for us. I know that not one of them is claiming a cent from the state during these hard times. Their protest is working. Leave these people alone!!!!!

so what you're saying is we should just get back in our little holes and shut the fcuk up?!? trust Micky Noonan and the rest to have our best interests at heart?

get real yourself!! open your own eyes!!

sorry for the inconvenience, we're only trying to change the world!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

Ex Bouncer wrote: »
    I dont believe the market and the protest can co-exist for two reasons:
    1. The stall owners will contribute for the privilage of being allowed to sell their products, and pay tax on their sales. If I was a stall owner, I would refuse to pay for space that occupy galway have for free. The space currently being occupied by the protesters was used last year for stalls, where will these stalls go this year.
    2. Like clarinbridge stunt, the general public were drawn into the protest. I have no doubt that occupy galway will take advantage of the visibility and their presence from people visiting the market. If I visit the market, I want to see the market, not the protest.

1. Eyre Square is a public space. We are all entitled to be there and to express our opinions. It is what citizens of a free country do. This is quite different from carrying on a trade. You would not be allowed to sell goods on Shop St either, but you are quite entitled to busk, proselytise, protest etc.

2. Surely the whole point of a protest is to raise public awareness?! There are far more objectionable sights on the streets of Galway any night of the week than conscientious protesters.

Neither of your points supports your stated belief that the protest cannot continue alongside the market.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement