Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupy Galway Group (mod note added)

Options
1565758596062»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Interestingly, from the OG website:
    Our aim is to show solidarity with these movements and express a growing sense of frustration with social inequality and corporate greed among the people of Ireland. Austerity measures and mass unemployment are inflicting a lasting damage upon this country and still no one has been brought to justice for the greatest of crimes.

To break that down, the first part means that their goal is simply to protest; they are just protesting to show solidarity with no actual goals of their own.

The second part regarding austerity is simply a statement. It has no actual meaning.

Breaking news everybody!

It looks as though FreudianSlippers is advocating that all supporters of an organisation must, in future, be members.

Also, only members of said organisation may comment on questions asked of that organisation.
    When a question is directed at an individual or a group, it is not beyond the realm of possibility to expect that a member be the one that replies.

If you choose to reply to my direct question to members of OG, then I'm going to believe you are answering as a member of that group.

Also, it's a bit rich to be a "supporter" and not a "member" - to my mind, this means you are a member in all but the camping.

Comparison to football is ludicrous at best.
    Sad day for freedom of speech indeed!
    I'm sick of this freedom of speech nonsense. This isn't the USA; we qualify that right in this country and Occupy has outstayed their welcome.

Freedom of speech :rolleyes:
    But sure im against what they are doing and i could have replied to it? There are no actual members of OG on this thread as far as i can see. You should post the questions on their site and then repost their response here, might give us something concrete to discuss rather than the constant back and forth bitching that its descended into.
    I have posted last night, but it either didn't get posted or was deleted. So I reposted today as follows:
    Occupy movements across the globe have various goals relating to their own cities and countries. What are the goals of OccupyGalway and how do you propose the achieve them? Coherent and real ideas are more than lofty ambitions to create a socially and economically “just” society – that is, what are the specific problems and the specific solution to those problems?

Also, arising out of discussion on boards.ie, does OccupyGalway:
    A) believe the troika should stay out of our affairs?
    B) believe the troika should give us money while doing A?
    C) believe and promote the fact that statutes are based on your acceptance and/or submission to them?
    D) believe and promote the idea that C is a valid reason for not paying a household charge?
    E) accept donations and spend same with no level of accountability and records that they are willing to make public?

I think it's a fair and reasoned question; we will be if I get a fair and reasoned reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Sorry FreudianSlippers but your response to my post just doesn't add up.

Firstly, I did not reply to one of your postings, I commented on it. Quite a different thing.

Secondly, you are saying that supporters of some organisation, including a football team, a de facto members?. Sorry but to me this is absolute rubbish.
    Members of an organisation get some sort of say in how it's run.

Thirdly, telling someone to "F" off ( it's shame that education has been so bad that people need four letter words in print as well as speech) and stop posting just because they don't agree with you is trying to prevent freedom of speech in my opinion.

Sorry FreudianSlippers but your response to my post just doesn't add up.

Firstly, I did not reply to one of your postings, I commented on it. Quite a different thing.
    Semantic nonsense. If you're merely "commenting" on my posts then why bother posting?

It seems you want to have your cake and eat it too.
    Secondly, you are saying that supporters of some organisation, including a football team, a de facto members?. Sorry but to me this is absolute rubbish.
    Members of an organisation get some sort of say in how it's run.
    As I said, the comparison is nonsense to begin with. Supporting the Occupy movement and a football team are completely different.

Supporting Occupy without being a "member" is more like supporting the BNP without without carrying a card. If you want to support a political or quasi-political party then you should have answers to these basic questions yourself. Otherwise you support lofty notions of free kittens and hugs for all.
    Thirdly, telling someone to "F" off
    Firstly, cop on a bit now... I didn't tell anyone to **** off, I said "why not feck off..." as a general comment of the participation of "supporters" on this thread with nothing of substance to add.

Generally, on fora, where people post without adding value in order to provoke response it is called "trolling" - now I'm not saying you're doing this, but I'm merely pointing out this concept on the internet.
    ( it's shame that education has been so bad that people need four letter words in print as well as speech)
    Tell that to my LL.B., LL.M. and BL :rolleyes:
    and stop posting just because they don't agree with you is trying to prevent freedom of speech in my opinion.
    My point was that if one has nothing of substance to add to a conversation then one should quit stirring the pot with useless posts.

I don't know if I agree with you or not... you have posted nothing of substance to agree or disagree with.

Oh boy!

Talk about "trolling", pot and kettle spring to mind.

I could show letters after my name as well, but without showing you the paperwork they would be meaningless.

PLEASE will/can someone get back to the subject of this thread or lets just leave it to the nay sayers and shut it down. It seems now to be rather pointles.

Enough is enough.
    I'm out of here for a while. Lets see if it gets any better in a few days.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    Not to forget that this is an offshoot from a larger group in Dublin which in turn is an offshoot from an even larger group in NYC.
    This group can pressurise, not world govs, but local politicians to make better local decisions.

Tbh, when I read some of the "ah sure, what can you do" posts around boards I can see how people were led into this mess in the first place.
    You don't have to camp out in the square to make a difference. Just supporting them in text or speech is better than nothing.

I'd admire a man more for saying that they're wrong rather than the lax "it won't work" attitude. Have some conviction folks :D

Just thought I'd quote an earlier post from biko before I go.
    This was post number 325.

Oh boy!

Talk about "trolling", pot and kettle spring to mind.

I could show letters after my name as well, but without showing you the paperwork they would be meaningless.
    DO NOT HAVE THE NERVE TO CALL ME A LIAR.

If this is your idea of adding to this thread it shows just how low your inteligence is.
    Go away and get a brain.

Oh boy.

I'm perfectly happy to get back on topic, I seem to recall it's you that is attempting to drag it off.
    PLEASE will/can someone get back to the subject of this thread or lets just leave it to the nay sayers and shut it down. It seems now to be rather pointles.
    I'm trying... I really am. I asked a question and you're off on this tangent about the difference between "supporters" and "members"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Little bit harsh in fairness, Irishgoatman has said since day 1 that hes not a member he simply follows or supports them. You and I are/were GUFC followers for many years and i would answer things in the gufc thread but im no spokesperson and would direct people to the club or gust when an issue was raised.
    I understand that. But it's no reason to go asking people to "get a brain." That, in my eyes, is a childish insult. Up until that Irishgoatman had been posting with a certain degree of clarity, but with that remark, has descended to the lows seen when eire.man was here. No need for insults like that, I realise he's not a member.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭El Mullo

You both have been Galway United supporters in the past, you both are at the moment, and you will be again in the future.

Occupy Terryland !!

People keep saying ask OG on their site. Is it like their facebook page where you ask a question and they then delete it unanswered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Someone_Else

[...]
    I've said too many times that I AM NOT A MEMBER OF THE O.G.
    [...]

@ Irishgoatman - I think we got the message ...

Being a sympathiser is fine but, understandably enough, you cannot bring answers. I don't see the real use of your prolonged posting on this thread.

Why don't you use that energy to get your daughter to ask (and convince) one of the OG leaders to come to the thread and answer some of the questions directly rather than belting out the fact that you are not a member?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭mallachyrivers

when are they going to stop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Someone_Else

Have you posted this on their website?.
    You're unlikely to find anyone from O.G. coming on here to answer it.
    They have their own website for questions like these, I suggest you try it see.

Yes it is nice that one time wasting question(er) is out of the way.

erm ... their "discuss" section has been last updated ... 82 days ago :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

Is Someone_else trying to prove a point to someone on an internet forum, or to the world in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

If anyone wants to change anything then it really is a case of occupy Enda Kenny's front lawn ,or Rupert Murdoch or whoever. Without doing that yer only the people who set up camp outside our city walls and then starved to death, guess an anti siege is what I'm saying. I understand the anger, I just don't understand the belief that the whole have and have nots scenario can ever be changed? Personally I blame the transition from hunter gatherer to farmer for the situation we find yourselves in, I mean, why hunt down a dangerous animal or go foraging when you can exchange three sticks with feathers on them for an apple? And if those last few sentances didn't make sense then think about the piece of paper in yer wallet/purse or indeed the the figures stored in yer "bank" account, my bank account has loads of zero's unfortunatly they are all to the left! At the end of the day they might as well measure "personal wealth", whatever that actually means I know the system tries to convince us that happiness can be quantified, I'm just not sure that is the case, in unicorns, makes as much sense as yen, euro, sterling, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

@ Irishgoatman - I think we got the message ...

Being a sympathiser is fine but, understandably enough, you cannot bring answers. I don't see the real use of your prolonged posting on this thread.

Why don't you use that energy to get your daughter to ask (and convince) one of the OG leaders to come to the thread and answer some of the questions directly rather than belting out the fact that you are not a member?

there are apparently no leaders or even a spokesperson for OG. no one wants the responsibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Nok1a

Eman Resu wrote: »
    If anyone wants to change anything then it really is a case of occupy Enda Kenny's front lawn ,or Rupert Murdoch or whoever. Without doing that yer only the people who set up camp outside our city walls and then starved to death, guess an anti siege is what I'm saying, etc...

Seems to me like they are far from starving and that the group are quiet happy living there with nobody bothering them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Nok1a wrote: »
    Seems to me like they are far from starving and that the group are quiet happy living there with nobody bothering them

only in Galway could you chill out for a few months in the main square without anyone bothering you. Hopefully the city council will move them on before the tourist season starts.

People keep saying ask OG on their site. Is it like their facebook page where you ask a question and they then delete it unanswered.
    I thought my first post on their website forum was deleted, but since my second (identical) post has been up now for a day I'll admit there was probably just some connection problem the first time.

It remains, however, unanswered. This is a group that claims to represent the people, touts transparency and claims to welcome all ideas; yet when questioned on Ireland's largest forum about their goals they run off and refuse to participate.

I want change. It's just clear that Occupy is nothing more than a joke who are protesting a la Father Ted: DOWN WITH THIS SORT OF THING!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I was really hoping to keep to this open until OG had finished but to be honest it's a wreck with various allegations, off-topicness and many bans.
    It's just not worth it any more.

Please use one of the other threads in Politics for Occupy discussion from now on.
    Don't refer to or discuss OG in other threads in this forum, it'll just kick off again.
    Best of luck to the OGs, 5 months so far.

/thread

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement