Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing a table with a stranger

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

its ignorant to sit down at a table next to someone you don,t know uninvited - they might be waiting for a friend to come join them or they might want their own space.
    Jaysus Part Deux. If you're waiting for someone you just say that. Simple. If they get shirty then tell them to eff off. If you want your own space, eat at home, or come to terms with the fact that in a busy public place you may have to share some space. :eek: Public places tend to have the public in them. Mad or wha?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭trashcan

o1s1n wrote: »
    Us Irish like our space. Don't dare sit beside me on a bus when there are other seats free, you freak! :pac:

Damn right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I wouldn't mind if the place was busy enough that it was the only seat available, but it's a pain when all you want is to unwind in your own thoughts and enjoy a coffee or some food.....and a stranger just strikes up a conversation and won't take a hint.

I've had people sit beside me on the bus when there are a lot of vacant seats and do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Wibbs wrote: »
    Jaysus, a bit misanthropic, no?

No.

Listening to some tosser stranger is something I just don't want to have to do. If they keep talking after being told not to, then headphones. Always have headphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭buried

Last winter in supermacs I was after ordering my food & sitting down at a table eating it on a saturday afternoon, I was sitting down about 5 minutes some fellow comes to my table with his teenage daughter & sits down at the other side of the table, just after he sits down he looks over at me & " says you don,t mind us sitting here ? " I said " its not much point asking me that now that you ve sat down there, " there was an awkward silence for the next few minutes-once I finished my food I left. I don,t care how busy somewhere might be or if all the tables are full just wait for a table before ordering whatever you re ordering, its ignorant to sit down at a table next to someone you don,t know uninvited - they might be waiting for a friend to come join them or they might want their own space.

lol Jesus Christ man its Supermacs not the feicking Waldorf Astoria boutique breakfast bar or some $hite

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement

buried wrote: »
    lol Jesus Christ man its Supermacs not the feicking Waldorf Astoria boutique breakfast bar or some $hite

What does the location matter? A nuisance is a nuisance no matter where you're eating.

Patww79 wrote: »
    What does the location matter? A nuisance is a nuisance no matter where you're eating.

Yeah fair enough Location doesn't matter, but somebody sitting down next to you anywhere to eat some food, the exact same thing you are there to do, doesn't matter either. Whats the problem? Where is the problem? What in the f**k does it matter like?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,775 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

True story.
    Myself and the missus return to the Silver Birch Hotel in Tyrone after the Dubs match up there earlier this year.
    A couple were having a meal and we asked could we sit down opposite, and they obliged.

We sat down, had the craic, they were from Belfast and we talked about brexit, shopping, gaa etc.

When they finished their meal, they got up, wished us a safe journey home and good luck in the next round of matches.

After a while I asked the lounge girl for another round and when she came back not only was my pint and hot whiskey on the bill but also the other couple's meals.

They had walked out, told the girl at the till on the door that we were paying for them and fcuked off. We spoke to the manager and explained everything and he was confident that he might catch them on cctv.

Beware who you sit down with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Ah you'd be surprised, I mean Supermacs is a fine eatery and there IS a certain etiquette expected from the fine clientele who frequent there, it would be far too posh for the likes of me anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I’m eating my breakfast Kate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Last winter in supermacs I was after ordering my food & sitting down at a table eating it on a saturday afternoon, I was sitting down about 5 minutes some fellow comes to my table with his teenage daughter & sits down at the other side of the table, just after he sits down he looks over at me & " says you don,t mind us sitting here ? " I said " its not much point asking me that now that you ve sat down there, " there was an awkward silence for the next few minutes-once I finished my food I left. I don,t care how busy somewhere might be or if all the tables are full just wait for a table before ordering whatever you re ordering, its ignorant to sit down at a table next to someone you don,t know uninvited - they might be waiting for a friend to come join them or they might want their own space.

Notions.
    Level 10

lawred2 wrote: »
    this entirely depends on the context

a busy pub - sit away
    on busy public transport - sit away
    anywhere with benches - sit away

however I wouldn't expect someone to join me were I sitting at a small table in a restaurant

You’re speaking sense here. One of the few.

If a place is busy and all other options exhausted then someone sitting opposite is normal. If there’s space.

However with even one full free table someone sitting across from you is odd.

Ah you'd be surprised, I mean Supermacs is a fine eatery and there IS a certain etiquette expected from the fine clientele who frequent there, it would be far too posh for the likes of me anyways.

Same here, anytime I go there I'd be doing well eat the stuff off the pavement nevermind have the wherewithal to find a actual table

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

Many years ago I was in the shower in the gym in Navan. There were five showers across, no cubicles separating them though. I was alone.

Anyway, a man came in and hung up his towel before going beneath the nozzle directly beside me. I thought this was a bit weird since there were several free showers further away but I didn't worry too much about it. After a few seconds he said 'hey.' I turned to him and he was lathering his nether regions with shampoo and he said 'Did you have a hard workout?'

Maybe he was just being friendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Same here, anytime I go there I'd be doing well eat the stuff off the pavement nevermind have the wherewithal to find a actual table

Its really the anthroprandrial equivalent of a trough

I’ve only ever gone into super macs in heuston. It’s fine. Burger is fine. My guess is there’s a Dublin snobbery about some fast food restaurants and not others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

I don't mind so long as they don't chew with their mouth open. Puke

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

This happened to us in Paris. First and last time to ever have happened. Fancy, well recommended french restaurant.

Got sat with a random English couple, awkward small talk, couldn't be ourselves. Very strange and ridiculous experience.

Literally the same table. It wasn't 2 tables alksot side by side..we even had to order together too.

Maybe it is normal in other countries but I think it's stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Very common in noodle bars, ethnic eateries and casual diners in Dublin.

It's fairly obvious if the table sharer does/doesn't want to chat if you've a bit of cop and maturity and can read simple body language and actions. You don't need a degree in anthropology.

I don't eat in Supermacs, but getting notions about sharing a table there is quiet funny. :)

Where was someone getting notions about sharing a table in Supermacs? The thing they mentioned was them asking could they sit after they had already sat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Worst is on long Irish Rail journeys when ppl sit beside you in a 4 seater when there is a complely empty one just opposite. Happened to me just this weel. I do like my elbow rome on long journeys especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

AllForIt wrote: »
    Worst is on long Irish Rail journeys when ppl sit beside you in a 4 seater when there is a complely empty one just opposite. Happened to me just this weel. I do like my elbow rome on long journeys especially.
    Some people, myself included, don't like sitting facing backwards on trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

only acceptable if there are no free spaces

Where was someone getting notions about sharing a table in Supermacs? The thing they mentioned was them asking could they sit after they had already sat.

It's in the thread if you read back. Not sure if you're being obtuse, but it's Supermacs. It's casual dining at it's worst. Fast food, fried & grilled, quick, unhealthy, cheap with no accoutrements. In, eat and off you go.

If you want private dining or a table to yourself you'd be expected to have a bit of cop on and be a bit more worldly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Why not? Watching a sports event down at the local, I would have no hesitation in asking a stranger if said seat was vacant.

Well, you’re preoccupied in that case. Different from someone sitting across from you in a café. I’m not the biggest fan of small talk. Don’t small talk then, says you. But not talking is also awkward if someone is right there in front of you. If seating was limited, I wouldn’t stop someone from sitting down of course but I wouldn’t be delighted about the situation.

If it’s done in other countries, grand. Neither is right or wrong, just different.

I’ve been in restaurants with lots of bench seating which I find fine. You’re rarely directly across from strangers in that case.

I like this thread. It's actually like talking and enjoying listening to strangers discussing an enjoyable random subject on AH for a change. All we're missing is food, and tables.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    It's in the thread if you read back. Not sure if you're being obtuse, but it's Supermacs. It's casual dining at it's worst. Fast food, fried & grilled, quick, unhealthy, cheap with no accoutrements. In, eat and off you go.

If you want private dining or a table to yourself you'd be expected to have a bit of cop on and be a bit more worldly.

People have mentioned common cafes too and no matter where it's preferable for a lot of people to be left alone. Not sure why it was just Supermacs that was jumped on, you're hardly getting four fine dining courses in most places.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

people happily jump into some strangers bed at the end of a night out but sharing a table is an issue?

People have mentioned common cafes too and no matter where it's preferable for a lot of people to be left alone. Not sure why it was just Supermacs that was jumped on, you're hardly getting four fine dining courses in most places.

Come on pat, if you don't want people sitting next to you, for whatever reason you have because of that, the last place you want to go eat is a feicking Supermacs fast food joint. What do you think is going to happen if the place fills up and someone has to sit next to you? Call the security over and order them to throw your intruder out? They're more likely throw you out for looking like a total oddball

• Advertisement

Fair enough. I eat out a good bit, it's not a big deal, doesn't bother me in casual dining situations because that's the way it is, always has been from 1980's greasy spoons in the fruit markets to the cheap Asian eateries we have now. It must be terrible that it bothers you, but maybe you're not for casual dining.

Bon appetit. ;)

Advertisement