Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing a table with a stranger

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

It's a perfectly normal thing to do in Southern Germany and Austria.
    If there's no more free tables in a restaurant, people coming in will start asking people with free spaces at their table if it's ok to sit there. There's no such thing as waiters "assigning" you a table, you choose your own unless you reserve one.

That doesn't usually lead to conversations, though. Both parties will just have their own conversations. I can't remember ever having had a chat with people just because we shared a table.

It's just the practical thing to do, I think - if there are spaces to sit, why should people not sit there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Shenshen wrote: »
    It's a perfectly normal thing to do in Southern Germany and Austria.
    If there's no more free tables in a restaurant, people coming in will start asking people with free spaces at their table if it's ok to sit there. There's no such thing as waiters "assigning" you a table, you choose your own unless you reserve one.

That doesn't usually lead to conversations, though. Both parties will just have their own conversations. I can't remember ever having had a chat with people just because we shared a table.

It's just the practical thing to do, I think - if there are spaces to sit, why should people not sit there?

Indeed but German seating arrangements are often bench based, or long tables. Which facilitates that easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,549 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Patww79 wrote: »
    You're completely missing the point I was making. I hate having to converse with strangers, some people love it, that's fine. I was only querying why nobody seemed to have an issue with someone wanting to sit alone in a bloody cafe but it's crime of the century if you want to in a Supermacs.

Man sits in a café having an online conversation on his phone with complete strangers about his social insecurities and the fact that he hates having to converse with strangers in the real world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

John_Rambo wrote: »

Man sits in a café having an online conversation on his phone with complete strangers about his social insecurities and the fact that he hates having to converse with strangers in the real world.

Café? Never.

Social insecurities? You're not exactly advertising the pluses of people with that judgemental rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Old saying.. "A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet."

Happened many times that a casual encounter leads to friendship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Another thing I hate is people standing around cafes waiting for a free table, when there obviously isn’t one, standing over people’s tables, I think it’s so rude

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

It's just occurred to me the amount of people who even begrudge someone a seat that they're not using......unreal. it's almost childish... no you can't sit there cause me and my friend want to have a coffee and a gossip, so you can go and stand over there with your coffee....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Another thing I hate is people standing around cafes waiting for a free table, when there obviously isn’t one, standing over people’s tables, I think it’s so rude
    Yep and more rude when it's obvious they're finished at the table but refuse to vacate it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Alun wrote: »
    Some people, myself included, don't like sitting facing backwards on trains.

Gonna have to change seats after Kilkenny :)

Drives in one way, drives out the other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Graces7 wrote: »

Aye, but none of those friendships have ever sprang from an awkward small talk encounter for me. They’ve happened when conversation developed from small talk but the initial small talk wasn’t forced or awkward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Aye, but none of those friendships have ever sprang from an awkward small talk encounter for me. They’ve happened when conversation developed from small talk but the initial small talk wasn’t forced or awkward.

I am never prickly or awkward with folk. Why should I be? Just.... pleasant....what harm in being ... see, you are doing it with me now! prickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

I agree, It's pretty easy to read what peoples intentions are, some are just their own priority and won't have much consideration for others when it comes to their preferences, I was on a bus home from work recently and there was a group of American's who had just arrived on their holidays on high spirits, It doesn't mean I should be expected to be in the same form if they engage with me, of course I'd be polite, but to be honest I'd rather they didn't bother me and same way I won't bother them, but I'm quite an introvert person!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I’ve notice this seems to be the norm in other countries, It’s not something I’ve witnessed much here, but I’m not sure, maybe it’s normal in larger cities like Dublin, whereby strangers would just sit at your table without the slightest hesitancy, I mean off course I haven’t paid for the use of the table, but I’ve sat there with the intention of the comfort of the space to myself, maybe I’m just hypersensitive, but I find It so uncomfortable and invasive and will usually just leave as I like my space, would love to know others thoughts

Noticed that abroad. Think it's wonderful. Was in Hamburg with a friend and two girls asked us could they sit with us. One of them went to the bar, got 2 drinks for themselves and 2 for us without asking did we want them. Chatted for an hour before we left.

Would love if we were more comfortable to do similar here. Some want a quiet moment to themselves so it would be cool if we were able ask and accept or reject the offer without judgment, depending on our mood.

Noticed that abroad. Think it's wonderful. Was in Hamburg with a friend and two girls asked us could they sit with us. One of them went to the bar, got 2 drinks for themselves and 2 for us without asking did we want them. Chatted for an hour before we left.

Would love if we were more comfortable to do similar here. Some want a quiet moment to themselves so it would be cool if we were able ask and accept or reject the offer without judgment, depending on our mood.

Germans tend to sit beside people but don’t necessarily talk. You may have missed some signals there.

Graces7 wrote: »

Some strangers are enemies you haven’t met yet.

Café? Never.

Social insecurities? You're not exactly advertising the pluses of people with that judgemental rubbish.

Relax!

Just back from a noodle bar on Capel st. in Dublin. Relaxed, convivial atmosphere, friendly people from everywhere, excellent food, people sharing tables, a bar and sauces. Great social eating with a good ambiance you find all over the world.

You'd hate it!

Relax!

Just back from a noodle bar on Capel st. in Dublin. Relaxed, convivial atmosphere, friendly people from everywhere, excellent food, people sharing tables, a bar and sauces. Great social eating with a good ambiance you find all over the world.

You'd hate it!

You'd already lost me at noodle bar, but yeah it indeed sounds like absolute hell to me no matter what the cuisine.

Just cannot fathom wanting some twats annoying you while you eat your lunch.

Germans tend to sit beside people but don’t necessarily talk. You may have missed some signals there.

What signals? They led the conversation.

What signals? They led the conversation.

And they bought you pints. Then you left.

And they bought you pints. Then you left.

Think this was the point. They bought the drinks as both a thank you for sharing the table and an invitation to chat. Which we did.

• Advertisement

You'd already lost me at noodle bar, but yeah it indeed sounds like absolute hell to me no matter what the cuisine.

Just cannot fathom wanting some twats annoying you while you eat your lunch.

No no... you're confused. Nobody was annoying anybody and nobody was annoyed. There were no "twats" there either.

No no... you're confused. Nobody was annoying anybody and nobody was annoyed. There were no "twats" there either.

Of course there wasn't if that's your thing. To someone else, they're all twats.

Not an ounce of confusion. Just a different outlook on people and dining with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Your post isnt very clear
    In what context? Sitting in a relaxed bar and yourself and your wife are using 2 seats at the other side of a large table, and someone sits at the free side? Or even alongside you but chats to their companion?

Or sitting in a restaurant on your own and someone comes up and sits down at a table that can barely fit 2?

I have no problem with the first one cause why would I be bothered about where they sit as long as they are not on top of me, I’m busy with my own company.

For eg at a sushi bar in Belfast everyone sat alongside eachother at one long table. No problems there, everyone is busy minding their own business to care if someone is sitting beside them or not

Of course there wasn't if that's your thing. To someone else, they're all twats.

A very intolerant attitude. Anyone doing something that you don't like doing (like eating together and enjoying each others company) are all "twats".

I don't like playing chess, but I don't think everyone that does are "twats".
    You need to work on your attitude and be more tolerant. It will make you a better and happier person.

All the rage because a stranger "might" start a conversation in a restaurant with you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

That’s the most stupid thing I’ve ever heard, if I have a certain cafe I really like to go to I’ll happily wait five minutes while they clear a table or someone gets up. I can think of way more rude things. That’s so funny

A very intolerant attitude. Anyone doing something that you don't like doing (like eating together and enjoying each others company) are all "twats".

I don't like playing chess, but I don't think everyone that does are "twats".

You need to work on your attitude and be more tolerant. It will make you a better and happier person.

I'm perfectly happy thank you. But anyway, I probably didn't put it right. A group of strangers eating together and happy to do so aren't twats at all. I mean if I was put in the situation, as unlikely as it is, I'd see and treat any nuisance trying to converse with me as one. But that's because it's not my thing, it's your thing. I don't feel strangers deserve any tolerance these days so don't afford them any, but enough people probably do so it's not worth worrying about.

I'm perfectly happy thank you. But anyway, I probably didn't put it right. A group of strangers eating together and happy to do so aren't twats at all. I mean if I was put in the situation, as unlikely as it is, I'd see and treat any nuisance trying to converse with me as one. But that's because it's not my thing, it's your thing. I don't feel strangers deserve any tolerance these days so don't afford them any, but enough people probably do so it's not worth worrying about.

Still chatting away to me, a complete stranger. I guess it's a sign of the times, some people are much more comfortable talking to strangers online in their house than face to face. Easier to name call too. ;)

Have a good weekend, hopefully some stranger "twat" doesn't strike up a friendly conversation with you in the real world!

Still chatting away to me, a complete stranger. I guess it's a sign of the times, some people are much more comfortable talking to strangers online in their house than face to face. Easier to name call too. ;)

Have a good weekend, hopefully some stranger "twat" doesn't strike up a friendly conversation with you in the real world!

If you're equating them to the same thing then I don't know where to go from there with you. You can't bore me with details of your life or try and work up to scobing money or stuff from me on here so it's completely different.

I'm touched by your concern though.

If you're equating them to the same thing then I don't know where to go from there with you. You can't bore me with details of your life or try and work up to scobing money or stuff from me on here so it's completely different.

I'm touched by your concern though.

Lol... "somebodies talking to me, they must want my money".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭worded

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    I remember a Chinese in London that was just one big table which everyone sat around. I think there's a Japanese like that on O'Connell Street.

Not too long ago someone sat at our drinks table whereby mammy just froze in the position she was currently in and didn't move again until the bad lady was gone.

Ireland.

The Chinese place may have been Wonkys in China town
    Hilarious place.

Rude waiters etc, hilarious place

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g186338-d720949-r188774832-Wong_Kei-London_England.html

Advertisement