Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing a table with a stranger

Options
  • 09-11-2018 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

I’ve notice this seems to be the norm in other countries, It’s not something I’ve witnessed much here, but I’m not sure, maybe it’s normal in larger cities like Dublin, whereby strangers would just sit at your table without the slightest hesitancy, I mean off course I haven’t paid for the use of the table, but I’ve sat there with the intention of the comfort of the space to myself, maybe I’m just hypersensitive, but I find It so uncomfortable and invasive and will usually just leave as I like my space, would love to know others thoughts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,597 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Us Irish like our space. Don't dare sit beside me on a bus when there are other seats free, you freak! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

This at home or out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭.red.

Don't p!ss in the p!sser next to me either unless it place is full.

Why not? Watching a sports event down at the local, I would have no hesitation in asking a stranger if said seat was vacant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

kneemos wrote: »
    This at home or out?

I'll be honest I find it more acceptable when I'm out than when I'm at home

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

yeah irish people dont like sharing tables tbh, far more common on the continent and the US

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭brevity

Once they don’t want to talk to me I don’t see the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

I’ve notice this seems to be the norm in other countries, It’s not something I’ve witnessed much here, but I’m not sure, maybe it’s normal in larger cities like Dublin, whereby strangers would just sit at your table without the slightest hesitancy, I mean off course I haven’t paid for the use of the table, but I’ve sat there with the intention of the comfort of the space to myself, maybe I’m just hypersensitive, but I find It so uncomfortable and invasive and will usually just leave as I like my space, would love to know others thoughts

I wouldn't mind if someone sat at at table I was already sitting but I wouldn't go and ask someone if I could sit at their table - that's just me been awkward though

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

I was in 37 Dawson street with the partner having a drink and 2 guys just moved in sat directly facing us on our table. I actually just gave them a nod and cracked a joke.

Why not share your table.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

this entirely depends on the context

a busy pub - sit away
    on busy public transport - sit away
    anywhere with benches - sit away

however I wouldn't expect someone to join me were I sitting at a small table in a restaurant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

Presume we're talking about cafes or similar. Wouldn't have a problem with someone sitting at my table if place was busy and I was by myself.

So long as they have decent table manners

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Busy Pub, Cafe/Fast Food Joint, is this seat/spot free. Dont see an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

lawred2 wrote: »
    this entirely depends on the context

a busy pub - sit away
    on busy public transport - sit away
    anywhere with benches - sit away

however I wouldn't expect someone to join me were I sitting at a small table in a restaurant

I'm talking small intimate cafes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I don't mind so long as they don't talk to me or don't take offence if I tell them not to talk to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

No problem, just ask the waiter/waitress for a long spoon. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

Happens all the time out the country here in the old timer eating houses, places where they serve boiled cabbage and shpare ribs and spuds and that sorta stuff for lunch. No problem, sit down next to anybody and stuff yer face. I go to a few places like this for lunch on work, always filled with old widowers and pensioners where they go for their grub. Good social outlet for them too, get a well cooked old fashioned meal and can chat to people at the tables. Lots of them out in the countryside here. They be goldmines

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

buried wrote: »
    Happens all the time out the country here

I wouldn't up and leave if an elderly person sat next to me and showed interest in engaging with me, I’m not that cold, I think it’s more the idea of sharing personal space with a complete stranger for their comfort, at your inconvenience, than being spoken to that annoys me, like If I wanted to sit next to a stranger I would have chosen to

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kerry37

Only happened to me once. Popped into Quinlans fish and chip place in Killarney. Place was packed with a Q out the door. I was sat at a 2 person table alone and the guy working asked if I'd mind sharing with another guy who was solo.

Had a good chat with him. He was on holiday from America alone. Came to Ireland from Iceland and had crashed and wrote off a rental car over there. Spent 2 days in hospital and carried on his trip.

Seemed like a sound chap and wasn't awkward at all. Wouldn't have a problem asking someone to share a table if a place is crazy busy and would be more than happy to share if someone asked me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

I wouldn't up and leave if an elderly person sat next to me and showed interest in interact with me, am not that cold, I think its more the idea of sharing personal space with a complete stranger for their comfort, at your inconvenience, than be spoken to that annoys me, like If I wanted to sit next to a stranger I would have chosen to

Yeah I hear ya, not saying its being cold or whatever to not want to share a table with someone, a lot of the time I need my space too! But out here, in the towns and villages I go through with work, you don't really have a choice but to sit next down to someone and get some grub, I only have the half hour so its find a space somewhere and eat a proper meal or else eat a three day old sandwich from a petrol station instead! Lots of these places the tables are set for four, so you'd have three or two strangers you have to sit next to, but nobody minds, you get chatting away and it's all good!

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I wouldn't up and leave if an elderly person sat next to me and showed interest in interacting with me, am not that cold, I think its more the idea of sharing personal space with a complete stranger for their comfort, at your inconvenience, than be spoken to that annoys me, like If I wanted to sit next to a stranger I would have chosen to

There is your problem, once you walk out your front door there is no more personal space to speak of.
    Things are so busy nowadays you be lucky to find somewhere to eat at a table on your own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I couldnt care less. Have often done it. Never bothers me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I wouldn't mind at all, but I'm a fairly gregarious kind of person who likes talking to strangers, if they want to talk to me that is. Have met some fascinating people over the years including an old fella on the bus the other day who, it turned out, used to fly flying boats!

In a previous life I used to travel a lot for work, and trust me, there's nothing worse than a dining room full of business people, each one sitting at their own table for two staring into middle distance looking as bored as hell. Some hotels I visited had special communal tables for that purpose, if you sat there you basically agreed to be sociable and chat with the others on the table. Seemed to work OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

This was common in Munich when we were there last December. Once we adjusted to speaking to each other a bit more quietly, it actually added to the atmosphere

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I remember a Chinese in London that was just one big table which everyone sat around. I think there's a Japanese like that on O'Connell Street.

Not too long ago someone sat at our drinks table whereby mammy just froze in the position she was currently in and didn't move again until the bad lady was gone.

Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

As long as I am not expected to entertain some loser Johnny no mates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I used to go to a cafe in Dublin with very few tables and chairs, and I would never mind if someone shared the table with me but if I was in a big place and there was lots of free seats I’d be a bit like no sit somewhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭The Legend Of Kira

Last winter in supermacs I was after ordering my food & sitting down at a table eating it on a saturday afternoon, I was sitting down about 5 minutes some fellow comes to my table with his teenage daughter & sits down at the other side of the table, just after he sits down he looks over at me & " says you don,t mind us sitting here ? " I said " its not much point asking me that now that you ve sat down there, " there was an awkward silence for the next few minutes-once I finished my food I left. I don,t care how busy somewhere might be or if all the tables are full just wait for a table before ordering whatever you re ordering, its ignorant to sit down at a table next to someone you don,t know uninvited - they might be waiting for a friend to come join them or they might want their own space.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

brevity wrote: »
    Once they don’t want to talk to me I don’t see the problem.
    Patww79 wrote: »
    I don't mind so long as they don't talk to me or don't take offence if I tell them not to talk to me.

Jaysus, a bit misanthropic, no?
    Alun wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind at all, but I'm a fairly gregarious kind of person who likes talking to strangers, if they want to talk to me that is. Have met some fascinating people over the years including an old fella on the bus the other day who, it turned out, used to fly flying boats!

In a previous life I used to travel a lot for work, and trust me, there's nothing worse than a dining room full of business people, each one sitting at their own table for two staring into middle distance looking as bored as hell. Some hotels I visited had special communal tables for that purpose, if you sat there you basically agreed to be sociable and chat with the others on the table. Seemed to work OK.
    This. I don't care if people sit down or if we get chatting. You can meet some cool people this way. Sure you get the odd weirdo, but sometimes even they're interesting enough. The only ones other than complete loons that would irritate me would be misanthropes. Life is too short to deal with self involved dour people.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I'll be honest I find it more acceptable when I'm out than when I'm at home

I find it very awkward when a stranger joins me at my table at home too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

What's a table ?? :)

Advertisement