Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing a table with a stranger

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

The guy who shared the Supermacs story, that is just awful haha, it’s the most casual place ever aka no one cares if someone sits 2 seats away to eat their burger or opposite you on a large table

If you had of said that to me I’d be laughing at how much of an eejit you were for even caring, as people said, it’s supermacs, one bum one seat eat your burger and leave, don’t get too caught up on the rest of the details, must have a lot of time on your hands ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Lol... "somebodies talking to me, they must want my money".

You would have read earlier in the thread about someone being stiffed for a bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

That’s the most stupid thing I’ve ever heard, if I have a certain cafe I really like to go to I’ll happily wait five minutes while they clear a table or someone gets up. I can think of way more rude things. That’s so funny

I can think of way funnier things?.. It's still rude in my opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Patww79 wrote: »
    You would have read earlier in the thread about someone being stiffed for a bill.

You read lots of things on the internet Pat. Don't live your life by them.

I can think of way funnier things?.. It's still rude in my opinion!

Oh okay, rude of the staff then it must be. As it would be their fault for letting extra people queuing beside occupied tables rather than giving a polite ‘wait at the door for 5 minutes please’

Bad management from the cafe.

• Advertisement

You read lots of things on the internet Pat. Don't live your life by them.

If you're as analysing and condescending with strangers you sit across from in restaurants then I'm extremely surprised it actually goes so well for you. That said, it's another all too common trait among people these days which is another thing to add to a long list.

Oh okay, rude of the staff then it must be. As it would be their fault for letting extra people queuing beside occupied tables rather than giving a polite ‘wait at the door for 5 minutes please’

Bad management from the cafe.

Not sure what It's got to do with management, more common sense, usually people standing around a busy cafe are just as much in the staff's way from what I've seen

Not sure what It's got to do with management, more common sense, usually people standing around a busy cafe are just as much in the staff's way from what I've seen

Common sense of the staff maybe, a half decent cafe wouldn’t let customers hang around the floor affecting other customers experience. I’d say you need to pick a new cafe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

o1s1n wrote: »
    Us Irish like our space. Don't dare sit beside me on a bus when there are other seats free, you freak! :pac:

If I'm getting on a bus and I see someone changing seats to sit on their own, I'll deliberately sit beside them even if there are free seats.

At the very least I'll have had the pleasure of annoying them

People dont communicate with each other anymore and I find it strange that they want to run away from each other every chance they get.

They wont even share a seat with a stranger

If I'm getting on a bus and I see someone changing seats to sit on their own, I'll deliberately sit beside them even if there are free seats.

People dont communicate with each other anymore and I find it strange that they want to run away from each other every chance they get.

And this is why I like my space

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Think that's pushing someone to conform to how you think the world could be. Why not just take the opportunity when you are beside some to speak with them. You don't know what's going on in someones head and if they actively sought out some solitude, what right have you to intrude?

If you're as analysing and condescending with strangers you sit across from in restaurants then I'm extremely surprised it actually goes so well for you. That said, it's another all too common trait among people these days which is another thing to add to a long list.

With respect Pat. You're the one that has a problem with strangers, you're the one bitching and moaning about people, you're the one calling everyone that's that doesn't conform to your norms "that's". I don't have any issues, fears or insecurities when it comes to strangers or strangers talking to me face to face.

But then again. Internet hard men an all to common trait these days.

With respect Pat. You're the one that has a problem with strangers, you're the one bitching and moaning about people, you're the one calling everyone that's that doesn't conform to your norms "that's". I don't have any issues, fears or insecurities when it comes to strangers or strangers talking to me face to face.

But then again. Internet hard men an all to common trait these days.

You seem to think I'm threatening people. Maybe the analysis isn't so good after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭The Legend Of Kira

Honestly that,s just being a pest, if you already have a seat & you switch seats next to someone sitting by themselves to as you put it " annoying them " maybe he/she might just want some privacy to use messenger or snapchat on their phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Speaking of Supermacs.I went in with my 3 kids.Ordered got their stuff and sat at a table.I was still waiting on my food.

I got called over,turned round and there was someone sitting in my seat.My 3 kids are just sat there.They where about 2,4 and 5.Who in their right minds sits on a seat with 3 young kids.

Went over and and flung said fella out of my seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

I doubt you actually do this but if you do you are a dope.

I don't mind someone sitting next to me on the bus but I seem to have very bad luck on who chooses to sit next to me.

I always get some smelly one, some obese one spilling over to my seat, some manspreading plonker, some weirdo eating an egg and onion sandwich, or some coughing sputtering flu ridden pathogen vehicle. or else someone will sit behind me who will talk loudly on the phone, usually in a foreign language, for their entire journey.

so that is often why i will switch seats.

buses are different than restaurants though, lot more riffraff on a bus.

I like my own space and in certain situations such as an empty train I would raise an eyebrow if someone sat down beside me, but maybe they are lonely. We live in an increasingly insular and self-absorbed age. Heads are stuck in screens and God forbid if someone attempts a conversation. Human connection is vital. We should encourage it and try be a little more open. Sure so what if someone sits down beside you in Supermacs or the cafe or wherever. Make eye contact, say hello. The world won't end.

I like my own space and in certain situations such as an empty train I would raise an eyebrow if someone sat down beside me, but maybe they are lonely. We live in an increasingly insular and self-absorbed age. Heads are stuck in screens and God forbid if someone attempts a conversation. Human connection is vital. We should encourage it and try be a little more open. Sure so what if someone sits down beside you in Supermacs or the cafe or wherever. Make eye contact, say hello. The world won't end.

But if you don't want to? Can hardly mess about your own life for the sake of someone else. All anyone can do is look after their own house.

But if you don't want to? Can hardly mess about your own life for the sake of someone else. All anyone can do is look after their own house.

It's ok if you don't want to. I just wonder sometimes about the world we live in and what it would be like if we were a small bit more open. Of course I understand it can be difficult for people what with social anxiety and fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I'd say you're mighty craic on a night out,

• Advertisement

It's ok if you don't want to. I just wonder sometimes about the world we live in and what it would be like if we were a small bit more open. Of course I understand it can be difficult for people what with social anxiety and fear.

All cases aren't fear or anxiety. Sometimes people just don't want to talk to or more importantly, listen to, people that they don't care about. Definitely not the way people are these days.
    Yeah people may be lonely and want someone to talk to but that really isn't someone else's problem at the end of the day. Life's too short to worry about people you don't know.

All cases aren't fear or anxiety. Sometimes people just don't want to talk to or more importantly, listen to, people that they don't care about. Definitely not the way people are these days.
    Yeah people may be lonely and want someone to talk to but that really isn't someone else's problem at the end of the day. Life's too short to worry about people you don't know.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to be alone but if we find ourselves all the time feeling "ugh people get away", then that might be something worth looking at.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to be alone but if we find ourselves all the time feeling "ugh people get away", then that might be something worth looking at.

I've never felt that way about the people that I want to be around so you may move on to the next chapter there.

I've never felt that way about the people that I want to be around so you may move on to the next chapter there.

Erm. I don't have a next chapter.
    *scratcheshead*

It's not the way you are! Come on Pat, none of us can speak for everyone!
    Other people can happily converse with strangers. Today myself and my young fella shared a table with an American girl that was polite but plugged in to her phone. Naturally we didn't converse. There was another Vietnamese girl sitting beside my son, she yapped away with him, helped him with his chopsticks (He's only six) and let him taste her bubble tea! The American girl ended up unplugging and inquiring about the bubble tea. Nobody wanted money, no ulterior motives, nothing suspicious... just friendly human interaction. With (God forbid) strangers!!

Edit.. the place is always packed, people are always plonking themselves beside strangers. It's the done thing in this certain bar.

It's not the way you are! Come on Pat, none of us can speak for everyone!
    Other people can happily converse with strangers. Today myself and my young fella shared a table with an American girl that was polite but plugged in to her phone. Naturally we didn't converse. There was another Vietnamese girl sitting beside my son, she yapped away with him, helped him with his chopsticks (He's only six) and let him taste her bubble tea! The American girl ended up unplugging and inquiring about the bubble tea. Nobody wanted money, no ulterior motives, nothing suspicious... just friendly human interaction. With (God forbid) strangers!!

Thanks John, you're great doing what you want to do John, but pity you're not open to letting others do the same John. Lose the "my way or no way" attitude John.

Thanks John, you're great doing what you want to do John, but pity you're not open to letting others do the same John. Lose the "my way or no way" attitude John.

No, you've misread my post, or you're being deliberately obtuse. You're trying to tell us everyone is the way you are in your post. I'm telling you they're not. And you can carry on doing what you do, nobody's going to stop you. But don't tell me "Definitely not the way people are these days".

No, you've misread my post, or you're being deliberately obtuse. You're trying to tell us everyone is the way you are in your post. I'm telling you they're not. And you can carry on doing what you do, nobody's going to stop you. But don't tell me "Definitely not the way people are these days".

I don't care how they are. I don't care if they're American or Vietnamese (nicely done for effect, an old boards favourite) or from Timbuktu. I don't care if they're on holiday or lonely or about to burst into flames. I just don't want to converse with them and no little worldy abectodes thinly wrapping up a bit of a self blow from yourself is going to make anyone do something they don't want. You're not automatically right no matter how much you believe it to be the case.

I don't care how they are. I don't care if they're American or Vietnamese (nicely done for effect, an old boards favourite) or from Timbuktu. I don't care if they're on holiday or lonely or about to burst into flames. I just don't want to converse with them and no little worldy abectodes thinly wrapping up a bit of a self blow from yourself is going to make anyone do something they don't want. You're not automatically right no matter how much you believe it to be the case.

Lol... say "I" again!

That's why I didn't converse with the American girl that was plugged in to her phone! Calm down, live and let live! The dude abides.

• Advertisement

Lol... say "I" again!

That's why I didn't converse with the American girl that was plugged in to her phone! Calm down, live and let live! The dude abides.

Does it really matter that she was American? The story you told about the whole thing in the restaurant is exactly the type of thing I'd be hoping to avoid by not listening to this post tiger age of person. Everyone is just blowning themselves these days.

Advertisement