Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing a table with a stranger

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I don't have any problem engaging with public, I work in customer service so do every day, probably more the reason I like my own space! I don't really see how that goes against a civilised society

People telling others how they should act is far from civilised anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

I don't have any problem engaging with public, I work in customer service so do every day, problem more the reason I like my own space! I don't really see how thats goes against a civilised society

Of course you can have your own space, I want my own space too, but there are better ways of communicating that you would like your own space to someone who may sit down beside you in a feicking supermacs and asks "Is that ok" and you reply "well you've done it now cuz so have the F**k at it" and then remain in a awkward silence for the rest of the scene because you acted like a total oddball. It all depends on the situation you are in.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Last winter in supermacs I was after ordering my food & sitting down at a table eating it on a saturday afternoon, I was sitting down about 5 minutes some fellow comes to my table with his teenage daughter & sits down at the other side of the table, just after he sits down he looks over at me & " says you don,t mind us sitting here ? " I said " its not much point asking me that now that you ve sat down there, " there was an awkward silence for the next few minutes-once I finished my food I left. I don,t care how busy somewhere might be or if all the tables are full just wait for a table before ordering whatever you re ordering, its ignorant to sit down at a table next to someone you don,t know uninvited - they might be waiting for a friend to come join them or they might want their own space.

Especially since paying top dollar.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

In a proper sit down restaurant with waiters? I would be very uncomfortable if stranger sat opposite me, and its not common at all as waiters would never ask somebody if they would mind if a stranger sat at a partly occupied table with them as the resturant was busy, so its just out of the question, mcdonalds its fine

All this talk of Supermacs has got me in a temptation to go get some sort of high class taco curry cheese mayonaisse chips meal from said michelin star munch house

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

buried wrote: »
    All this talk of Supermacs has got me in a temptation to go get some sort of high class taco curry cheese mayonaisse chips meal from said michelin star munch house

I just got sick in my mouth at the thought

I just got sick in my mouth at the thought

Don't be sitting next to me hey

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭The Legend Of Kira

Of course you can have your own space, I want my own space too, but there are better ways of communicating that you would like your own space to someone who may sit down beside you in a feicking supermacs and asks "Is that ok" and you reply "well you've done it now cuz so have the F**k at it" and then remain in a awkward silence for the rest of the scene because you acted like a total oddball. It all depends on the situation you are in.

Take supermacs outa the equation & lets say its a cafe, if you were sitting down having a coffee at a cafe lets say it happens to be costa coffee, whether by yourself or with a friend , if some random stranger just sat down at your table across from you without asking " is it ok if I take this seat ? " would you find it ignorant ? honest question.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

AllForIt wrote: »
    Worst is on long Irish Rail journeys when ppl sit beside you in a 4 seater when there is a complely empty one just opposite. Happened to me just this weel. I do like my elbow rome on long journeys especially.

Worse is someone sitting on your pre-booked seat.

Take supermacs outa the equation & lets say its a cafe, if you were sitting down having a coffee at a cafe lets say it happens to be costa coffee, whether by yourself or with a friend , if some random stranger just sat down at your table across from you without asking " is it ok if I take this seat ? " would you find it ignorant ? honest question.

I honestly wouldn't K, I genuinely mean that. I honestly don't see any problem with that. What does it matter like?, that's a honest question from me too

• Advertisement

I honestly wouldn't K, I genuinely mean that. I honestly don't see any problem with that. What does it matter like?, that's a honest question from me too

It does matter, if a random stranger sat down at a table across from two people whether its a cafe or elsewhere, you re intruding on other people,s conversations.

It does matter, if a random stranger sat down at a table across from two people whether its a cafe or elsewhere, you re intruding on other people,s conversations.

You never said there was two people though, you made it sound like it was just you in the Supermac's. Yeah fair enough, if you are with someone like a date or a Significant other or whatever I can see how it could be a bit annoying for you or whatever. But I think you should try rise above that anyways. We probably coming from different places and mindsets anyways, I'd say you live in a large urban/city environment? I live out the countryside. The countryside is a lonely enough place, well, not depressing lonely, but the likes of me are going to want to bounce off randomers a bit more in pubs and restaraunts because it is interesting to do so. Won't be the same for everyone, but I honestly think you should give it a try too. No harm in the stranger, a stranger is just a potential friend you haven't met yet.

You never said there was two people though, you made it sound like it was just you in the Supermac's. Yeah fair enough, if you are with someone like a date or a Significant other or whatever I can see how it could be a bit annoying for you or whatever. But I think you should try rise above that anyways. We probably coming from different places and mindsets anyways, I'd say you live in a large urban/city environment? I live out the countryside. The countryside is a lonely enough place, well, not depressing lonely, but the likes of me are going to want to bounce off randomers a bit more in pubs and restaraunts because it is interesting to do so. Won't be the same for everyone, but I honestly think you should give it a try too. No harm in the stranger, a stranger is just a potential friend you haven't met yet.

Post 99 while being hypothetical, I said
    " Take supermacs outa the equation & lets say its a cafe, if you were sitting down having a coffee at a cafe lets say it happens to be costa coffee, whether by yourself or with a friend , if some random stranger just sat down at your table across from you without asking " is it ok if I take this seat ? " would you find it ignorant ? honest question. "

Yeah fair enough man, but you shouldn't let it get to you either no matter who you are with. The vast majority of people just want some sorta outlet to meet other people. Nothing wrong with that. Don't ever perceive it as a bad thing because the vast majority of the time it really never is

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

All this talk of Supermacs has me gagging for a supermacs! None in California unfortunately :( though... Chick Fil A is pretty close when it comes to the chicken fillet burger from Supermacs! I digress....

I don't mind the large communal tables in places like Wagamama for example. Seems to be pretty common in Asian eateries. In Cafes i think it's fine as long as it isn't someone sitting down with you at your 1 to 2 person table. I don't think I'd every ask someone myself if I could share their table in that situation. A lot of places like Starbucks for example is just zombies with their laptops open trying to look like they are working or something and I have seen people like that share tables. It's not as though they are actually communicating with each other.

If I was asked to share a table in a proper sit-down restaurant, I'd most likely refuse. I think you are paying for the time and experience as well as the meal and if that involves me having my own table, then tough. They have to wait until a table comes up. That's the way it works.

I did the solo work travel thing for a lot of years as well, and you do get bored sometimes with office - hotel - restaurant table for one... so it was nice if there were places with a communal table, or a lot of restaurant chains in the US for example have a bar that solo eaters can sit at -> PF Changs, Chilis, TGI Fridays, that kind of place. Puts in a bit of time and you don't feel like a pleb sitting by yourself.

All this talk of Supermacs has me gagging for a supermacs! None in California unfortunately :( though... Chick Fil A is pretty close when it comes to the chicken fillet burger from Supermacs! I digress....

Jayziss, you got me on a new tangent now with all this America talk, I lived in north inner city area of Chicago for a bit, few stops up from Wrigley Field, there was this burger joint there right next to me gaff, jayziss it was unreal, can't remember the name of what it was, but the burgers man. I would literally kill now just to get one of those things again. The Supermac's goods could never compete to this place. If I could just go back for a day I'd head straight to that shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Jayziss, you got me on a new tangent now with all this America talk, I lived in north inner city area of Chicago for a bit, few stops up from Wrigley Field, there was this burger joint there right next to me gaff, jayziss it was unreal, can't remember the name of what it was, but the burgers man. I would literally kill now just to get one of those things again. The Supermac's goods could never compete to this place. If I could just go back for a day I'd head straight to that shop.

Yeah, well it is the home of the Burger! They know how to do it here...

Definitely places better than Supermacs, but you know when you can't have something, you absolutely want it :)

My top 5:

- Shake Shack
    - Five Guys
    - Chick-Fil-A
    - In 'n' Out Burger
    - Counter Burger (not really fast food, but still good).

Honourable mentions: Whataburger, Fuddruckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Yeah fair enough man, but you shouldn't let it get to you either no matter who you are with. The vast majority of people just want some sorta outlet to meet other people. Nothing wrong with that. Don't ever perceive it as a bad thing because the vast majority of the time it really never is

I think there two different things, sitting next to a person with an interest in engaging in an innocent conversation or just out of your own convenience and comfort with no consideration to how the other person may feel about it, which is what I’m referring too, which seems to have become the norm in a lot of largely populated cities abroad

I think there two different things, sitting next to a person with an interest in engaging in an innocent conversation or just out of your own convenience and comfort with no consideration to how the other person may feel about it, which is what I’m referring too, which seems to have become the norm in a lot of largely populated cities abroad

Your missing out on some quality Supergarlicmac cheese curry chip thang I've got going on here PD. The two across from me ain't digging my style whatsoever, but I know full well I'll have created a good story for their friends tommorow, and sure that's what its all about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Completely different.
    If im sat with my iced half caff, ristretto venti 4pump vanilla , dolce soy skinny 2% foam latte, in a cafe, i want to be enjoy the moment.

If im sat shovelling garlic cheese chips with smokey bacon double burger and fanta into my face hole in the local Supermacs, ive forfeited my dignity and allowed myself be treated with disdain.

• Advertisement

Completely different.
    If im sat with my iced half caff, ristretto venti 4pump vanilla , dolce soy skinny 2% foam latte, in a cafe, i want to be enjoy the moment.

If im sat shovelling garlic cheese chips with smokey bacon double burger and fanta into my face hole in the local Supermacs, ive forfeited my dignity and allowed myself be treated with disdain.

Hell Yeah

The worst thing about a Supermacs is after 10 minutes you ate a Supermacs you are hunger yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Completely different.

Don’t think it would make a difference to me if it was Starbucks or supermacs, I would find it annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

.red. wrote: »
    Don't p!ss in the p!sser next to me either unless it place is full.
    If you pick the nearest one to the door, expect them to take the next nearest bowl to piss into!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

In Krakow 3 years ago with 2 friends. Went for a meal in a traditional Polish restaurant. Small ,tables close together and busy. We were at a table for 4 but only 3 of us. A burly guy sat at our table, didn't ask just sat as it seemed normal practice. Which when I started looking around it was. Anyway the guy was in Krakow collecting a few debts, didn't ask were they legitimate or not. The butt of his gun being visible stilted conversation but other than that he was a pleasant guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Raheem Euro

We shall cut the table in half and there is enough table for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

What if like the above poster said. Two tables but reeeeealy close to each other, almost touching. What then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Never actually had it in a restaurant/cafe in Ireland but experienced it in Scandinavia quite a few times. As long as there is a seat at a table available, people will fill them. Had great chats with people once they heard the accent. We (the Irish) are still liked abroad, despite the shyte being posted in AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

What if like the above poster said. Two tables but reeeeealy close to each other, almost touching. What then

At least there's a sort of boundary there to keep them from talking to you if it's separate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I’m absolutely rattling with a hangover. Drank at least 12 pints of stout last night. All this talk of Supermacs is making me hungry. What time does it open? Fancy a snack box, garlic and cheese chips, sausages, and a coke in a container the size of a small bucket.

Don’t care if some fûcker starts chatting to me while I’m eating.

Advertisement