Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

sonic85 wrote: »
    Anybody know if you can just carry on a helmet onto a plane? I want to bring mine with me to the UK but don't want to just chance it!

Bear in mind Ryanair have changed their carry on rules and are quite strict. Are Lingus are much easier going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭sonic85

zubair wrote: »
    Bear in mind Ryanair have changed their carry on rules and are quite strict. Are Lingus are much easier going.

Yeah it's Ryanair I'm going with. I could fit it in a rucksack but when I put it in its bursting at the seams. Might just have to leave it at home to be on the safe side

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

I took my helmet and a small rucksack on Ryanair a few weeks ago with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭IJS84

On the bike every day, as is only mode of transport and my mrs with me aswell. Winds were worse out past little island in the evening but was just wet, ive driven in much worse but mind you Ive got a big touring screen on a Valkyrie Interstate as Im waiting on a shock for the dragstar. So Ive a bit more weather protection on that

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I got a full alpine stars gear when I started last week and so far its fine. My old helmet needs a new clear visor but no issues at all. That said my commute is only about 15 mins or so.

I was going to buy Alpine Stars gear, but then i watched this.

Actually a decent review of products.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtCdQfbLw7o&feature=youtu.be

So bought some Dainese stuff to replace my aging Pants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

listermint wrote: »
    I was going to buy Alpine Stars gear, but then i watched this.

Actually a decent review of products.

So bought some Dainese stuff to replace my aging Pants.

I will always approve of Fortnine, the videos have slowed down a bit recently, but fantastic reviews and advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Cian_ok

I parked my bike at the top of Grafton St last Tuesday evening. It was beside one of those large electrical boxes.

When I got back the tank was scratched - Looks like someone knocked the bike over and it hit the box.

I'm assuming it was accidental - because they want to the trouble of picking it up. Who messes around with bikes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Cian_ok wrote: »
    I parked my bike at the top of Grafton St last Tuesday evening. It was beside one of those large electrical boxes.

When I got back the tank was scratched - Looks like someone knocked the bike over and it hit the box.

I'm assuming it was accidental - because they want to the trouble of picking it up. Who messes around with bikes?

You're not having the best of luck lately.

Getting a tank resprayed can be costly i was told.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Cian_ok wrote: »

Anybody. Could have been seeing if it could easily be nicked. Or drunken arseh0les messing on it for selfies or some sh1t

I dont park my bike anywhere with heavy footfall like that. There are side streets off Grafton with little footfall, but id always park it inline with a post or lampost for 2 reasons, 1 its out of walking zone ,2 you can lock a chain to the post from the rear wheel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I wouldn't park a bike anywhere around there at all unless I can see it.

my daily commute is 60km round trip, €28 to fill up a Valkyrie Interstate and get about 4 days out of it (averaging 38mpg), same commute on 1100 dragstar €14 to fill it up and get about 2 1/2 - 3 days out of it (averaging 49mpg)
    Thats a mix of motorway speeds, country roads and city driving, with the mrs on the back everyday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I tend to top up the Dragstar 650 at about 80-90 miles on it, so about 2 1/2 days of commuting. I'm fairly sure I'd get more out of it, but I'd rather not run out of fuel and then pray the reserve tank has no issues.

thats some difference. What are ya driving? Usually keep the revs between 3500 & 4000

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I am still keeping mine below 5.5k RPM during the break in period but according to my bikes trip meter its doing 3.1/100km which is around 91mpg in old money. Up to 220 km on my first tank and I still have two bars left according to the fuel indicator.

3.1 is excellent. I'm getting 5.4l/100km, but that's in Hooligan mode. Sensible mode can get 4.5.

When i started on a 250 the mpg was great aswell. smaller bikes are great fun especially on the a commute well wear with it

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭kokiyou

Any recommended gear for UK/Ireland weather for new riders? AND/OR where is best for me to read reviews on them. I know generic advice is go to local place for helmet and potentially get the rest online. I'd like to know what to look for in the local place to try things on beforehand.

kokiyou wrote: »
    Any recommended gear for UK/Ireland weather for new riders? AND/OR where is best for me to read reviews on them. I know generic advice is go to local place for helmet and potentially get the rest online. I'd like to know what to look for in the local place to try things on beforehand.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=109777183#post109777183

kokiyou wrote: »

Consider watching this

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭kokiyou

Yea I saw that thread. That website looks like a good place. What about for reviews / recommendations, are the site ones to be trusted? Thanks

• Advertisement

Louis.de and fcmoto.de , i find these are good for some stuff, but youd want to be right on sizes, I prefer to try pants and jackets on 1st before I buy so get these in a bricks and mortar shop here. but for boots, gloves etc coming from Germany the pricing is good aswell. delivery usually takes about a week

Spent today. Doing valve clearance check, coolant flush, forks oil seal change and full service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭horse7

Love to see a video of the whole process, well done.

listermint wrote: »
    Spent today. Doing valve clearance check, coolant flush, forks oil seal change and full service.

Fair play, i was proud that I got round to changing the oil and removing some stickers yesterday. Feeling less proud now, I'd better wash it today.

Fair play, i was proud that I got round to changing the oil and removing some stickers yesterday. Feeling less proud now, I'd better wash it today.

It's all just method. And you really have to have the tools. Right tools make any job a simple process. Wrong tools or bodged ones really make your life hell. I can attest to that having made do half way through jobs .

Been putting this one off for a while. But did the head gasket on the wife's car two weeks back as it was loosing coolant. And that went perfectly. Pain in the arse though on something with only 80k on it.

After that the bike was a walk in the park.

Is it recommended to change the oil at least once a year regardless of mileage? I’ve clocked up 1100 miles in almost 10 months which isn’t much.

Bought the stuff yesterday but was then told 5000 miles will do. At the rate I’m going that could take 4 years and the oil will probably be like tar.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Is it recommended to change the oil at least once a year regardless of mileage? I’ve clocked up 1100 miles in almost 10 months which isn’t much.

Bought the stuff yesterday but was then told 5000 miles will do. At the rate I’m going that could take 4 years and the oil will probably be like tar.
    Oil should be changed yearly.

blade1 wrote: »
    Oil should be changed yearly.

Thanks for that blade1, thought as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Thanks for that blade1, thought as much.

Just edited my post there to add brake fluid and coolant.
    Better to change the oil because of condensation.

• Advertisement

blade1 wrote: »
    Just edited my post there to add brake fluid and coolant.

coolant and brake fluid aren't long done thankfully :D

Advertisement