Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭horse7

zubair wrote: »
    Pics pls. If it's a full aftermarket system the cat may be gone but it's likely just a slip on.

Will put some pics up in a day or 2. thanks

blade1 wrote: »
    What year is your bike?
    Has your exhaust got an O2 sensor?(thing with wires going to the ecu)

Will have a search,any idea where the ECU usually is?I presume it's under the tank somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

Spent over 7 hours on the bike yesterday. Went to the AMI open day in Gorey and was lucky to get a test spin on the new Moto Guzzi, Yamaha Tracer 900 and the Africa Twin.

The Guzzi had the best seat and brakes of the lot, and a lovely sound when you reved it. Africa twin was the nicest sounding all round but **** me the standard seat is big, I was tippy toeing.

But the Tracer 900 blew my mind, that bike is amazing! absolutely loved it. From the get go I had a huge grin the entire time. I really really want one! It was so easy to ride as if I'd rode it for months.

Huge props to the AMI guys they had hotdogs, burgers and loads of stuff handed out for people. Oh and bought Knox Zero 3's... had to buy something like. Even had one fella say it's nice to see young bikers :o

All i saw was the monkey behind ya

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mamax

I have spray oil for mine, sounds like a simple hassle free system to have?

Never given me any bother and they give fitting instructions for every bike https://www.scottoiler.com/us/technical-support/
    If using spray oil from a can you should oil your chain regularly and after every wash, I just wash n go just need to remember to keep the oiler topped up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Apologies for the delay in coming back to you on this particular point,i've had the same issue with polishing the downpipe on my own bike, burns fairly fast.

Have you radiator guards?

i wiped the dealz stuff until the parts were clean and it was dried off although there is one area i am unsure of that has some peeling on it.

ACF50 is something that has been recommended to me by almost every biker i've come across, be it here or in person.

I only have plastic gards on the outside of my radiators,my coolent rads are mounted both sides of the engine my problem is the splash back from the road causes build up of dirt between engine and radiators rather than the outside ,I put an extender on the mud gard witch greatly reduced this other than that I clean the build up of dirt every so often with toothbrush and the wife's kitchen cleaner , bleach free.
    When using the delz muck off stuff you must wash it off don't let it dry.
    I wet bike down first ,spray the whole bike with the cleaner and leave long enough time it takes a kettle to boil wash whole bike with hot water and washing up liquid give it a good rince down.
    Twice a year I give a good power hoseing before and after winter.and applying acf 50 removing plastic's applying on the hard to reach area's.
    I get 5 week out of a coating of acf 50 on the surface of plastic's and area's that receive most rain road spray,
    washing one a week with a hose and soapy water.then just touch up areas that need acf 50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I wonder whether early reviews of the 2019 S1000RR are putting the frighteners on HP4 Race owners?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-HP4-Race/292961935624?hash=item4435e46108:g:lOEAAOSw81lcZWve

At least £11k depreciation in 956kms, so that's about £12/km. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Lumen wrote: »
    I wonder whether early reviews of the 2019 S1000RR are putting the frighteners on HP4 Race owners?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-HP4-Race/292961935624?hash=item4435e46108:g:lOEAAOSw81lcZWve

That's a stunning bike in person !!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,787 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Lumen wrote: »

They were ridiculously priced anyway. The folks that can afford that are flagrant with money in the first place.

Where do you get motorcycle tyres fitted, any idea of cost for fitting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Cotters were doing free fitting when I wsss there in March.

• Advertisement

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    My first ever commute into city centre and its nice to see Taxi's drivers are as much as a pain for bikers as they are for cyclists. Right up my rear, cutting me off all the classics :pac:

Ride defensively and watch for the cyclists too, they're not your friends when you're on a motorbike.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,226 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Nearly got wiped out near the end of the Long Mile Rd on the way home

Minding my own business in the left lane (after bus lane time, before anyone asks :p) this dozy bitch in the right lane suddenly crosses the continuous white line into my lane, no signal natch, my front wheel was ahead of her rear wheel when she started moving

No time to even think about hitting the horn

I'm convinced I'm going down, brake brake brake and try and steer left and is that the front or rear tyre or both I can feel squirming on the point of locking? and that car is still getting closer fcuk fcuk fcuk

Somehow I avoid her and stay upright, half a mile later after I got ahead of her I stopped at a yield sign and walked back for a wee chat

"wtf were you doing, etc"

"I'm sorry, but you were behind me"

"YEAH, I WAS, AFTER I NEARLY LOST CONTROL BRAKING!!!"

Wait, WTF? You SAW me and still did that????

FFS, Some people.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Minding my own business in the left lane (after bus lane time, before anyone asks :p) this dozy bitch in the right lane suddenly crosses the continuous white line into my lane, no signal natch, my front wheel was ahead of her rear wheel when she started moving

I'm convinced I'm going down, brake brake brake and try and steer left and is that the front or rear tyre or both I can feel squirming on the point of locking? and that car is still getting closer fcuk fcuk fcuk

Somehow I avoid her and stay upright, half a mile later after I got ahead of her I stopped at a yield sign and walked back for a wee chat

FFS, Some people.

Good man for saving it. Sounds like you were in the blind spot based on your description. Despite what she said, she probably didn't see you and was sh1tting it because a man in a helmet and leathers approached her after a near miss. Glad all is ok but I don't agree with approaching other drivers in this way, express your frustration with a rev bomb and get going.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

FFS, Some people.

Sadly this is whats being drilled into learner drivers and society as a whole.."it doesnt matter what goes on behind you..its their fault if they hit you"....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Sadly this is whats being drilled into learner drivers and society as a whole.."it doesnt matter what goes on behind you..its their fault if they hit you"....

You are 100% correct. A member of my own household who was learning to drive a car in the last year was told this by their instructor.

Glad all is ok but I don't agree with approaching other drivers in this way, express your frustration with a rev bomb and get going.

Nah. Fcuk them. Maybe I should have tried some percussive education, car door skins are very thin these days :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Blind spot, you need to be ahead or behind, you just can't sit alongside and expect other drivers to see you.

thos wrote: »
    Blind spot, you need to be ahead or behind, you just can't sit alongside and expect other drivers to see you.

I agree and I don't want to start telling people they were wrong or at fault especially when it's an incident they feel is worth posting as it was obviously a brown trousers moment. But the best way we can all be safe is to reflect on the incidents we encounter and think about how it could have been avoided. In this case it sounds like better road position and anticipation might have helped.

I don't want to go on about approaching the driver afterwards but we are all ambassadors for the motorcycle community, on and off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

But you don't know if HD was passing them or what. Just because the incident happened while he was in the blind spot doesn't mean he was driving along at the same speed in the blind spot.

And the way drivers are told to position their mirrors is terrible. You're told you should have them so you can see along the side of your car. That's bad mirror position and gives you the 2 big blind spots. You should position them like this:

I wasn't sitting in the blind spot, she was going faster than me (shock horror!)
    I agree and I don't want to start telling people they were wrong or at fault especially when it's an incident they feel is worth posting as it was obviously a brown trousers moment. But the best way we can all be safe is to reflect on the incidents we encounter and think about how it could have been avoided. In this case it sounds like better road position and anticipation might have helped.

I was in the centre of my lane, not to the right of it, maybe I should ride in the fcuking gutter?

Did you miss the bit about crossing a continuous white line?

Or where she said she had actually seen me?????

I don't want to go on about approaching the driver afterwards but we are all ambassadors for the motorcycle community, on and off the road.

Exactly, which is why I did it. It could save another rider's life. I think we all have a duty to make drivers like that aware of where they went wrong and how close they came to causing a serious accident.

• Advertisement

I wasn't sitting in the blind spot, she was going faster than me (shock horror!)

I was in the centre of my lane, not to the right of it, maybe I should ride in the fcuking gutter?

Did you miss the bit about crossing a continuous white line?

Or where she said she had actually seen me?????

Exactly, which is why I did it. It could save another rider's life. I think we all have a duty to make drivers like that aware of where they went wrong and how close they came to causing a serious accident.

You seem happy enough that it was 100% her fault and there was nothing you could have done. Fairy muff.

Sometimes there IS nothing you could have done.

It's impossible on a multi-lane road to never have a car beside you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,209 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Classic run from Farrell's bar in Youghal this morning at 11am.
    Not sure if anyone on here attends this or not.
    Old bikes and some newer ones.
    Mostly country roads/lanes, a few stops along the way and some grub.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Waterproof gear is great on a day like this ..... except when you leave one of the side zippers open ....

The wind was the rough part this morning, ****ting myself coming over the M1 Estuary bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Anyone around Cork gone out on the bike over the last 2 days? It would need to be insanity but i have seen 1 or 2, perhaps their only mode of transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Anyone around Cork gone out on the bike over the last 2 days? It would need to be insanity but i have seen 1 or 2, perhaps their only mode of transport.

I took the bike into work this morning, wasn't nearly as bad as it's been in the past. Just very wet.

First time ever I had a slight leak on the way in, but that's mostly because the bottom of my hoodie was poking out under my jacket.

I have to say lads, riding the Dragstar in this weather is actually far more comfortable and safe feeling than in the Deauville, possibly because I'm lower to the ground and feel like I have more control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

First time out on a bike in that wind and rain, thankfully my commute is all pretty low speed but I certainly wouldn't like be at motorway speeds in that wind!

If you got to commute in the wind steer clear of motorways. There's no shelter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭sonic85

Anybody know if you can just carry on a helmet onto a plane? I want to bring mine with me to the UK but don't want to just chance it!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Depends on the airline. Aer Lingus say "as long as it is within hand baggage size guidelines" as do Ryanair.

Whilst the Ryanair freebie is 20cm x 25cm x 40cm. I've never had any hassle with my ancient sports bag which is longer, but never full. The staff just eyeball the queue and investigate any baggage with wheels. Non-wheeled items as long as the aren't massive don't usually get any attention.

A helmet would be about 25cm x 30cm x 35cm. It'd go under the seat in front no bother.

About 15 years ago, I was returning to London from Glasgow with BMI. I had no baggage other than the motorcycle gear I was standing in, a helmet and a 1.4m ABUS chain. Security wanted to take the chain from me (for it to be returned at Heathrow). As the bloke couldn't find the forms required to be filled in, I was allowed to keep the chain inside the helmet and told not to be running up and down the aisle flailing around my head. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

First time out on a bike in that wind and rain, thankfully my commute is all pretty low speed but I certainly wouldn't like be at motorway speeds in that wind!

I took a fair old battering on the M50 from Bray to the Malahide Road yesterday. Luckily my bike (BMW R1200GS) is fairly heavy and powerful enough to power through it but it was fairly hair raising at times. I wouldn't have fanced a lighter bike on it.

Advertisement