Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Works for what? Covering up an inadequate job of preparing callipers for new pads.

If the grease is over-applied it can run onto your disks. This is why I don’t like seeing it recommended to people that don’t understand.

It is worrying that pro mechanics are behind the times.

Copper grease doesn't run as you say, funny the main motorcycle manufacturers must be wrong also as it recommend by them in there service manuals.
    This type of service is not required on breaking systems that use carbon or ceramic disc's and pads and there is very few production bikes that run them as they are not viable.
    And when it comes to anti squeal plates and pads you would have to use the manufacturers one's. As spurious one are never manufactured to the same quality causing squeal in there own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Never had a problem in what way? Have you tried putting bleach on the back? You won’t have a problem with that either.

Manufacturers don’t put grease on pads. Brake pads makers say not to do it. Brakes are designed not to have it. It is potentially dangerous.

No, strangely enough for some reason I have never tried bleach.
    Never tried mayonnaise on my brakes either.

You have a point though.
    If I couldn't trust myself to apply it correctly I wouldn't use it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 MAK9

Ok, this copper grease bull**** pissed me off enough to create an account. Now watch this video and come back saying that manufacturers recommend applying copper grease.

youtube.com/watch?v=V3MDXUT8RtA&app=desktop

(Paste link, I cannot put full links because of new user)

Now that is not the only thing, most manufacturers DO NOT recommend putting any grease on the back or the pads as it might contaminate them. The video speaks for itself, highly recommend to watch it. Maybe your opinion will change.

Emmersonn wrote: »
    It might be outdated in your world but is still used by motorcycle mechanics and it works. :p
    As to the use of bleach. I think I will flush that idea down the toilet ;)

Tell me what mechanics use it so I can avoid them.

ZX7R wrote: »
    Copper grease doesn't run as you say, funny the main motorcycle manufacturers must be wrong also as it recommend by them in there service manuals.
    This type of service is not required on breaking systems that use carbon or ceramic disc's and pads and there is very few production bikes that run them as they are not viable.
    And when it comes to anti squeal plates and pads you would have to use the manufacturers one's. As spurious one are never manufactured to the same quality causing squeal in there own right.

Pure lies, find me 1 motorcycle manual from 1990s to now that recommends putting copper grease on the pads. You will not find a single manufacturer recommending putting copper grease as it is stupid. Why did you feel the need to make make up facts and claim that someone recommends it when there is literally no manufacturer that does just to further your own agenda and hoping everyone will believe your word without any investigating. So I'll be waiting for proof that Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki or Honda recommend putting copper grease or whatever grease on the pads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

MAK9 wrote: »
    Pure lies, find me 1 motorcycle manual from 1990s to now that recommends putting copper grease on the pads. You will not find a single manufacturer recommending putting copper grease as it is stupid. Why did you feel the need to make make up facts and claim that someone recommends it when there is literally no manufacturer that does just to further your own agenda and hoping everyone will believe your word without any investigating. So I'll be waiting for proof that Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki or Honda recommend putting copper grease or whatever grease on the pads.

All my manuals stat it, well done on creating an account the more input the better.
    I don't have an agenda , it's a discussion fourm , show me a manual where it says don't use it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Never had a problem in what way? Have you tried putting bleach on the back? You won’t have a problem with that either.

Manufacturers don’t put grease on pads. Brake pads makers say not to do it. Brakes are designed not to have it. It is potentially dangerous.
    But Mintex sell Ceratec, they are one a brand of one of the largest friction companies in Europe if not the world.
    TMD friction is the parent company.
    Are you saying they are selling a dangerous and outdated concept?
    I have moved on from copper grease on pads but still use it in areas as an antiseize.
    Ceratec is much safer and used correctly stops squealing pads, if you are still having trouble with squeal chamfer the leading edge of the pads very slightly with a sharp file at a 45° angle, you don't need to take a huge amount off just a couple of mil.

All my manuals stat it, well done on creating an account the more input the better.
    I don't have an agenda , it's a discussion fourm , show me a manual where it says don't use it

All my manuals says don't use it. There your point disproven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Yes I polish the downpipes but it burns off fairly quick, I've a full stainless steel system so not to worried,I worry more about the cooling rads getting blocked with road grime, even with an extender on the mud gard.

One you don't let the deazls spray dry out nothing to worry about.
    Just to add acf-50 is brilliant but very time consuming applying it but worth putting the effort in

Apologies for the delay in coming back to you on this particular point,i've had the same issue with polishing the downpipe on my own bike, burns fairly fast.

Have you radiator guards?

i wiped the dealz stuff until the parts were clean and it was dried off although there is one area i am unsure of that has some peeling on it.

ACF50 is something that has been recommended to me by almost every biker i've come across, be it here or in person.

The copper grease argument has certainly taken off overnight. Just on a minor note here, while it is not a motorcycle show it is relevant, MAK9 have you ever seen the show 'wheeler dealers' ???Edd China was part of that show for 15 years and used grease on pads religiously, i don't ever recall the show being sued as a result of someone copying their work.

The regulars here also have used it, as blade1 has himself pointed out he has been using it for years without bother.

• Advertisement

The copper grease argument has certainly taken off overnight. Just on a minor note here, while it is not a motorcycle show it is relevant, MAK9 have you ever seen the show 'wheeler dealers' ???Edd China was part of that show for 15 years and used grease on pads religiously, i don't ever recall the show being sued as a result of someone copying their work.

The regulars here also have used it, as blade1 has himself pointed out he has been using it for years without bother.

Ok then you know better than the people who manufactured your bike, good for you. Just because some famous person or racer is doing it, does not make them immune to criticism. That is like saying doing the Valentino Rossi ritual before the race helps you win the race. Find me one brake pad manufacturer or motorcycle manufacturer who says use copper grease. EBC send a video saying DON'T USE IT and you know better than them. Stop spouting your made up ****e please. Same story with hard break in for a new motorcycle. Literally made up things that manufacturers never said and go directly against them, the very people who developed your bike. This is a joke.

Ok then you know better than the people who manufactured your bike, good for you. Just because some famous person or racer is doing it, does not make them immune to criticism. That is like saying doing the Valentino Rossi ritual before the race helps you win the race. Find me one brake pad manufacturer or motorcycle manufacturer who says use copper grease. EBC send a video saying DON'T USE IT and you know better than them. Stop spouting your made up ****e please. Same story with hard break in for a new motorcycle. Literally made up things that manufacturers never said and go directly against them, the very people who developed your bike. This is a joke.

I never for a second claimed to know more than the manufacturer of my bike, in this case Yamaha. To be honest you are the first person i have ever heard in my life saying not to use it, now i'm not saying that what you are saying is right or wrong as the pads function both with and without it. The pads i have are EBC, never seen any video, i note you posted a video in your first post which i will look at once i get the chance.

May i ask what background you come from or indeed what experience you have in the area discussed?

As already mentioned above, the bike is an MBK Nitro YQ50 moped, a carbon copy of the Yamaha Aerox bar the branding on it.

Just for the record I said use ceratec.

Just because manufacturers don't say something doesn't mean it's a bad idea.
    I doubt any manufacturer would tell you apply silicone grease to wellnuts and such but eventually these will dry out and split in normal circumstances.
    They don't come greased from factory so oh my god it must be a bad idea,is it?

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Yep thats the stuff, cars usually have antisqueal shims already on the backs of the pads. Bike pads are much smaller and thinner and rubber would ruin the brake feel.

Yes the cars have had shims on them. It's my first time after changing bike pads, still can't get over how small they are :pac:

Yes the cars have had shims on them. It's my first time after changing bike pads, still can't get over how small they are :pac:

Don't forget to pump your brakes before riding the bike :eek:

blade1 wrote: »
    Don't forget to pump your brakes before riding the bike :eek:

It was the first thing i did after fitting them :D

I doubt any manufacturer would tell you apply silicone grease to wellnuts and such but eventually these will dry out and split in normal circumstances.

Yes it is bad idea. Manufacturers dont tell you to put diesel in your bike so that must mean that it's fine to put diesel. Manufacturers don't tell you to put toothpaste in your engine, that means that it must be ok. Watch the video then come back to me. Horrible advice like this will get someone killed when their brakes fail to perform adequately because of the useless **** you smeared thinking it is doing something.

Watched it there and BTW,if delboy said it is raining outside the other guy would have a video up that it isn't raining.

So ebc said if you do grease the backs,to use a tiny amount.

No **** Sherlock.

The comments about diesel and toothpaste.. well they are just silly.

Watched it there and BTW,if delboy said it is raining outside the other guy would have a video up that it isn't raining.

So ebc said if you do grease the backs,to use a tiny amount.

No **** Sherlock.

The comments about diesel and toothpaste.. well they are just silly.

Natural selection will take care of you. One of the commenters were right. Remove all the warning labels and let natural selection take its course. You're an idiot, you can be an idiot and kill yourself, no one cares but when you go out spreading stupid misinformation literally ****ing made up that gets some young rider killed then I care. DO NOT PUT ANY GREASE ON THE BRAKE PADS it is dangerous. Keep making nonsensical strowman arguments. Oh delboy made a video doing this then he will make a video saying that he's talking ****. Where is the argument?

youtube.com/watch?v=uOwbSe2UhcY&app=desktop

Another one. Del boy said that best anti rust is fs365. Oh look I provided proof that delboy is a liar. Fs365 rust within a day. Delboy is right though. Ridiculous, I provide proof and good arguments but no grease on brake pads is awesome.

youtu.be/F0DpnjvS25E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Have you tried to do it properly without putting grease on? Not a smart question, how do you know you need the grease?

• Advertisement

Have you tried to do it properly without putting grease on? Not a smart question, how do you know you need the grease?

I've had brakes that didn't need it and brakes that did.
    It's fine nice new brakes coming out of a factory but in the real world sometimes an extra step may be needed.
    If brakes are making noise after cleaning them, I see nothing wrong with using ceratec.
    Obviously not contaminating the the friction pad should go with out saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

It's fine nice new brakes coming out of a factory but in the real world sometimes an extra step may be needed.
    If brakes are making noise after cleaning them, I see nothing wrong with using ceratec.

That’s fair enough although I’ve never needed grease. I wouldn’t recommend it to lads if I were you, “put a small bit on” equals caked on grease for most beginners.

Natural selection will take care of you. One of the commenters were right. Remove all the warning labels and let natural selection take its course. You're an idiot, you can be an idiot and kill yourself, no one cares but when you go out spreading stupid misinformation literally ****ing made up that gets some young rider killed then I care. DO NOT PUT ANY GREASE ON THE BRAKE PADS it is dangerous. Keep making nonsensical strowman arguments. Oh delboy made a video doing this then he will make a video saying that he's talking ****. Where is the argument?

youtube.com/watch?v=uOwbSe2UhcY&app=desktop

Another one. Del boy said that best anti rust is fs365. Oh look I provided proof that delboy is a liar. Fs365 rust within a day. Delboy is right though. Ridiculous, I provide proof and good arguments but no grease on brake pads is awesome.

youtu.be/F0DpnjvS25E

You seem very familiar to me.
    Did your own vast knowledge fùck up your own bike a while back?
    If not it must have been your long lost twin!

Tell on what bike the brakes needed it?

You seem very familiar to me.
    Did your own vast knowledge fùck up your own bike a while back?
    If not it must have been your long lost twin!

No idea what you're talking about. I never ****ed up my bike, I follow my manual that was made by the people who designed the bike.

No idea what you're talking about. I never ****ed up my bike, I follow my manual that was made by the people who designed the bike.

Why did you sell it?

I like the name.
    2d9o2ys.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭kavanagh_h

To the gorgeous guy who helped me pick up my bike near Slane today. Thank you! I am in love!ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sounds like one poster created two accounts just to get across his opinion.

I've serviced all my bikes and cars for years and used copper grease. I've never had a boot worn or rubbers degraded from incidentally it's always resolved any brake squeel too.

As for being outdated , frankly I couldn't give a fk . It's my vehicles. Service your own like a good little lad and maybe think about creating accounts to back up your own story . It makes you look a bit stupid. As for linking YouTube videos

. Well I can pull a couple out about chem trails and flat earth too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Can't 2 grown men hate copper grease together without being accused of having a second account?!

Advertisement