Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

Drier July alright then the rest of the country but still not the best but at least we could get out and about more! Just the greyness is depressing!

I've only just woken up within the last half an hour and it's still lashing so if it was raining since 8 then I've a feeling this is most definitely down for the day :( Weekend doesn't look too bad though!

We're not far off mean sunshine hours for the month in Cork so it hasn't been that bad. I'll add it up on Saturday but won't be too much off. Temperatures have held up pretty well too, as we had quite a few warm days in the low 20s. We've been blessed compared to the rest of the country when I see some of the reports and rainfall readings coming in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Miserable day wet and overcast. A truly forgettable summer. It could be any month from March to October really out there today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

There's something nice in complaining. I love comparing it to last summer. I really miss last summer. Was last summer particularly decent in Dublin is is a bit of nostalgia?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Looking at last night's radiosonde reports, Castor Bay's had the lowest freezing level of all (1500 m amsl). Even northeast Greenland beat it!

521429.png

Has 5000 metres ever been above Ireland?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

There's something nice in complaining. I love comparing it to last summer. I really miss last summer. Was last summer particularly decent in Dublin is is a bit of nostalgia?

last summer was a poor June and poor August but July was decent enough. As a whole so far this summer is considerably worse than last summer, it now remains to be seen will August continue with the mixed pattern or will things get even worse with deluges or could we see an improvement with a dryer and warming trend. My money is on August just more of the same but maybe not quite as cool or wet as July has been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

lawred2 wrote: »
    Has 5000 metres ever been above Ireland?

I've never seen 5000 but we did have 4200 m recently, if I recall correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Tallaght is defying science today. Not a drop has fallen here but we're under a decent band of rain according to radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Definitely not the best summer in the Limerick area. It is not the worst either. Mostly cool, the jumper is on me most of the time. I wish I could step on a plane to a warmer place but it is not really an option with a dangerous virus going around these days. GFS is showing prospects of warm dry sunny weather from around the 7th August for over a week. So fingers are crossed. I hope we will be able to keep the Corona virus at bay here in Ireland.

You can go to Greece or Italy where you would guaranteed sun. Both on the greenlist so good to go

DellyBelly wrote: »
    You can go to Greece or Italy where you would guaranteed sun. Both on the greenlist so good to go

I can vouch for that. I'm currently in Sardinia where it's been wall-to-wall sunshine each day.

Temperatures today have been mid-high 30s in general, with a couple of the agrimet stations hitting 41.1 °C.

http://www.sar.sardegna.it/servizi/dati/maxoggi.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭boetstark

DellyBelly wrote: »

we were booked for naples on Saturday but wifes employer told she has to stay at home for 2 weeks when we return. Other employees and partners in firm felt uncomfortable with her travelling.
    Thank the retarded politicians for publishing a green list and then advising people not to travel.

• Advertisement

boetstark wrote: »
    we were booked for naples on Saturday but wifes employer told she has to stay at home for 2 weeks when we return. Other employees and partners in firm felt uncomfortable with her travelling.
    Thank the retarded politicians for publishing a green list and then advising people not to travel.

This X 10000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Tallaght is defying science today. Not a drop has fallen here but we're under a decent band of rain according to radar.

Nothing here in Clondalkin yet either. I was expecting a wet day. Checked the radar and it shows rain over us for the past couple of hours?

Nothing here in Clondalkin yet either. I was expecting a wet day. Checked the radar and it shows rain over us for the past couple of hours?

Precipitation is occurring but is evaporating before reaching the ground, though Casement has been reporting light rain the past few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Dull overcast day in Donegal and now starting to rain again, just in time for finishing work :rolleyes:

Thought the south west was supposed to get the worst of it today? Doesn't look that way on radar

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

today was fairly decent in Meath till about an hour ago, felt fairly warm with some sunny spells, however it is fully cloudy now with spots of drizzle.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Just over 11mm now here near Tralee. Raining most of the day, short lull around 17.30 to 18.30 or thereabouts but heavy now again.

16.2C with Rh 90%, still in the warm sector I'd reckon , long trailing cold front could produce heavy rain yet.

vlHpfNw.png

NvUHavD.png?1

9tO0Bcg.jpg?1

anim_kwk2.gif

aromehd-25-24-0_ypo0.png

Finally a bit of warmth tomorrow and Friday but it won't be completely dry everywhere.

arpegeuk-41-26-0.png?29-17

Temperatures tomorrow reaching 20 to 22C across many places with best chance of sunshine across the east and south.

There may be rain at times tomorrow across the north and west from a passing Atlantic front.

arpegeuk-1-25-0.png?29-17

Friday will be warmer still but the warmth will shift eastwards early on Friday with cooler air following behind in the evening. Could reach 24 or 25C in places.

arpegeuk-41-48-0.png?29-18

Friday will see a dying rainband push eastwards, this may fizzle out by the time it gets to the east coast.

arpegeuk-1-47-0.png?29-18

Absolute pig of a night cold and wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Non stop rain since early this morning, 6am according to Cork Airport

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Rain on and off all day in west Kerry - sometimes heavy but generally just average amounts. Has become torrential in the past half hour or so though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

There is a lot of competition but i think today has been the worst day of this sorry excuse for “summer “ in South Mayo
    Pure unadulterated misery

Oops sorry .
    Rain. Wet. Cold. Rain. Dark

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Rain has arrived proper in Kildare now. Getting very breezy.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Spending a few days in South Kerry and today there has been rain here in varying degrees of intensity since early morning. Rain has become particularly heavy this evening. I see Valentia recorded 12.2mm of rainfall in the two hours between 19.00 and 21.00. Earlier this evening I could see that every stream and drain that I passed was oozing water and the lower parts of the hills that were visible were decorated with rivulets and threads of white gushing water.
    Thankfully, yesterday was a complete contrast with plenty of blue sky and great visibility with the Kerry scenery at its majestic best.
    Below a pic of the Sneem River in a good old spate as it gushes it's way towards the sea earlier this eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Wow looks like some very heavy rain yet to come overnight for me :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Heavy this evening for sure , coming up on 17mm now here near Tralee .

When I saw the picture above Goldfinch8 I though for a moment the camper vans were in the water but realized it is a wet concreted area where they are parked but with all the rain falling especially on the mountains if I owned one of them I think I would be moving it to somewhere safer. Looks like there is a high chance of be flooding tonight or in the morning around the county.

ZD7hSfv.png

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

I would agree Meteorite58, particularly when I see another 8.9mm of rainfall just posted in the Valentia 23.00 report. One very wet night out there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Awful weather to be stuck in a campervan especiallly if you have kids to entertain.
    July and August seem to be horrible every year - dull, wet and humid.

Nothing in the forecast for the next 10 days to indicate a change. 2 average to poor months since the June bank holiday weekend.

One of the things you really miss out on are the fabulous summer sunsets.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

km79 wrote: »
    Wow looks like some very heavy rain yet to come overnight for me :(

24 hours of rain again in the south.

We had some nice days this month, but still, a ****e summer overall.

I have photos of 2018 in Galway, deep blue skies, temp approaching 30C and humidity so low you didn't even sweat.

Ahhhh......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

Must be nearly 40mm of rain in Valentia today. I see the two days that were promised good are now rain for here. Actually Saturday might be our best day in Sligo. Bright and cold. Followed by showery and cold and wet and cold.

Any year Arctic goes low this century has been a cack Summer.

2012 Rotten cold wet lowest Arctic extent
    2019 Not too bad but cold a lot and very wet August 2nd lowest extent Arctic
    2007 Pig of a Summer 3rd lowest Arctic
    2011 Cool Summer low Arctic
    2020? Worst Summer? Lowest Arctic sea ice extent?

There must be a connection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭4Ad

Rained nearly all day in East Clare (stopped for half an hour)...today was depressing..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement