Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭pauldry

Hey Donegal,

Wev had 3 in Sligo (that topped 17c)

Most days this July have been 13 or 14c

102mm of rain, around 50 hours of sun (we will just get above the national record of 57 hours for dullest july), about 20 of the days have been windy plus all but one have been cooler than normal

Gonzo wrote: »
    two very cool days coming up with temperatures several degrees below normal.

Wednesday is cooler still. 10 to 13C widely across the country, for the height of summer these are disgraceful temperatures that wouldn't look out of place in mid December. Wednesday also looks quite wet along with this chilly temperatues.

[/IMG]

Were that to verify it would be our coolest July day on record in some spots

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

pauldry wrote: »
    Were that to verify it would be our coolest July day on record in some spots

And it won't. Max temperatures expected to be 14 to 17C. Always add on a couple of degrees to GFS charts.

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Kerry
    Met Éireann Weather Warning

From Wednesday morning until Thursday morning, heavy rainfall will bring 35 to 50 mm of rain with higher amounts possible in mountainous areas. Spot flooding, poor visibility and hazardous driving conditions are expected.

Valid: 07:00 Wednesday 29/07/2020 to 07:00 Thursday 30/07/2020

Issued: 11:00 Tuesday 28/07/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Again, we're talking an alright day so far. Sunny in the morning but it's not summer sun. It's like getting a good run of weather in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

The entire summer has been 13-16C in the north west so nothing unusual there for us. In fact just looking at Finner, we've only had 2 days in the whole of "July" that have topped 17C

Today is about the best we can hope for by the looks of it, cold (my phone currently has a 'feels like' temp of 6C :pac:), windy and showery but at least there's periods of sun

July average maxima so for this year is standing at 15.8c in Finner camp, which is closer to an average September reading than July. Markee doing a bit better on 16.3c.

One thing that will stand out for me about this July is the chronic lack of sunshine. Even during the fair days like today, the sun only peeps out for a few seconds at a time before disappearing again for another 30 mins (or sometimes longer) or so. One thing I will say is that despite the cooler than average temperatures, it never at any stage felt cool or chilly and it hasn't felt all that wet. 'Damp 'n' drizzly' would better describe it for here.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Yeah I've found it to be one of the dullest and coldest July's in my life, I still didn't feel the needed for any heating and have the windows open most days

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    July average maxima so for this year is standing at 15.8c in Finner camp, which is closer to an average September reading than July. Markee doing a bit better on 16.3c.

One thing that will stand out for me about this July is the chronic lack of sunshine. Even during the fair days like today, the sun only peeps out for a few seconds at a time before disappearing again for another 30 mins (or sometimes longer) or so. One thing I will say is that despite the cooler than average temperatures, it never at any stage felt cool or chilly and it hasn't felt all that wet. 'Damp 'n' drizzly' would better describe it for here.

I would agree with most of this except for the rainfall there has been plenty of it here in Meath at least, the first week or so of July delivered the entire months worth of rain to this area and we've had plenty of heavy downpours since including some very torrential downpours yesterday, the ground here is soaking, garden still making a sqelchy sound when I walk on the grass. However in general the past 14 days hasn't been as bad as the first 2 weeks of the month. Lack of sunshine and generally low temperatures has dominated this month throughout except for the odd day. Thankfully we will get 2 days of summer here on Thursday and Friday with temperatures reaching 20C or more on both days fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Leaves falling off some trees already sure we may aswell not call it summer anymore its no different to most of the rest of the year...the odd sunny warm day every few weeks sure we are spoiled

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Leaves falling off some trees already sure we may aswell not call it summer anymore its no different to most of the rest of the year...the odd sunny warm day every few weeks sure we are spoiled

Think leaves fall out due to short days not wrather

it looks like tomorrow will make it one of the wettest Julys in some areas as well as the coolest dullest and changeablest? and windiest.

They are talking about taking in the roads tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Hooter23 wrote: »

That's the wind from yesterday and Sunday night, nothing to do with the seasons changing or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Newport at 330.2mm has now recorded its wettest combined June and July rainfall total beating 1980s total of 324.6mm.

God I lived in Castlebar in the 80s and that was wet. I thought it would never be beat. 1985 or 1986. Just remember looking at rain on the window every day.

Newport could get another 30mm tomorrow.

Also going on my "staycation" TO Newport. God help us.

"Only" 280mm of rain in Sligo in June and July but 236mm from June 26th until today.

That's the wind from yesterday and Sunday night, nothing to do with the seasons changing or anything like that.

The seasons dont change thats the problem its the same dull cool damp crap 90% of the time its the same all year round...

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

Feels cold out and getting dark :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I couldn’t live in west or south west of Ireland for that reason. The rainfall would be unbearable. I mean 80mm in Dublin this month is unusual in itself but 330mm in less than 2 months is unreal
    Xenji wrote: »
    Newport at 330.2mm has now recorded its wettest combined June and July rainfall total beating 1980s total of 324.6mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

km79 wrote: »
    Feels cold out and getting dark :(

Yep very chilly when I was out for a walk. Feels like October.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Chilly evening in Cork City but dry, no wind and was definitely able to sit outside all evening with some friends.

Chilly evening in Cork City but dry, no wind and was definitely able to sit outside all evening with some friends.

Unfortunately, the rain has arrived much earlier than I was expecting this morning and looks to be down for the day. We've been so lucky compared to the rest of the country overall in July though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Steady rain here in Kerry, somewhere between light and moderate. Charts and forecasts look to disimprove by the day unfortunately especially in the Western half of the country and more so in Atlantic coastal counties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭mikekerry

this is going to go down as a very bleak summer in every possible way!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

No sign of any sustained heat out to mid September from my reading of the charts - happy to be proven wrong !

What we have learned from them long range forecasts is that whatever they forecast its the total opposite is what will happen

Or if you just predict rain or showers you will be right 90 percent of the time.

Thursday will be nice for a few hours and Saturday not a bad day generally.

Friday evening might be nice.

So we just take these breaks and make the most of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Unfortunately, the rain has arrived much earlier than I was expecting this morning and looks to be down for the day. We've been so lucky compared to the rest of the country overall in July though.

Drier July alright then the rest of the country but still not the best but at least we could get out and about more! Just the greyness is depressing!

I've only just woken up within the last half an hour and it's still lashing so if it was raining since 8 then I've a feeling this is most definitely down for the day :( Weekend doesn't look too bad though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Definitely not the best summer in the Limerick area. It is not the worst either. Mostly cool, the jumper is on me most of the time. I wish I could step on a plane to a warmer place but it is not really an option with a dangerous virus going around these days. GFS is showing prospects of warm dry sunny weather from around the 7th August for over a week. So fingers are crossed. I hope we will be able to keep the Corona virus at bay here in Ireland.

The Atlantic had no power in April and May and some of June so any High that came stayed for over a week, however the Atlantic has tons of power and mobility now so any High will be shoved aside quite quickly even the ones that go right over us so Id say a day or two sunny is the best we can hope for. Also constant lows from the Northwest so an altogether different global pattern change is needed to stop this. These usually happen in September or October as the weather changes everywhere else in Europe (from sunny Summers to Autumn rain)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I really hope we don't have a repeat of the Autumn deluges of Autumn 2019/Winter 2019 or else we could be in trouble after an already wetter than average summer. If you think about it the past 12 months has been very wet with the exception of second half of March, April, May and first few days of June. We would be in a dire situation right now if we didn't have that dry Spring this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,106 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No sign of any sustained heat out to mid September from my reading of the charts - happy to be proven wrong !

Don't mean to be rude, but I have often heard qualified meteorologists say it is hard to predict weather accurately outside of the next 10 days to 14 max.

Surely trying to predict what mid-Sept, 7 weeks away, is going to be like is just total guesswork? Its like listening to the postman who says he predicts the weather months ahead by how animals are reacting etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Looking at last night's radiosonde reports, Castor Bay's had the lowest freezing level of all (1500 m amsl). Even northeast Greenland beat it!

521429.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement