Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,074 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Fella in work is off on his holidays today and booked the long weekend in the West. Never seen someone so depressed heading off on their holidays!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,106 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I wish I was a weather forecaster, it must be the easiest job in the world.

And they can be wrong as often as they want with no come back.

At the start of this week they said thur and fri were going to be dry and warm. I remember it distinctly as I would be off shift those days. Was looking forward to it.

They got the 1st day completely wrong. I'm afraid to look at tomorrows forecast.

At this stage I would be tempted to fly to the sun somewhere, and take my chances with cv19, but I'd be going on my own as family won't travel.

Is this the wettest summer for a long time? Feels like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

tempted to visit dublin for the bank holiday but will likely get pissed on, not as easy duck in out of a shower as it used to be with Covid...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

NIMAN wrote: »
    I wish I was a weather forecaster, it must be the easiest job in the world.

And they can be wrong as often as they want with no come back.

At the start of this week they said thur and fri were going to be dry and warm. I remember it distinctly as I would be off shift those days. Was looking forward to it.

They got the 1st day completely wrong. I'm afraid to look at tomorrows forecast.

At this stage I would be tempted to fly to the sun somewhere, and take my chances with cv19, but I'd be going on my own as family won't travel.

Is this the wettest summer for a long time? Feels like it.

I can't advise you about travel but I have booked various days annual leave this month based on predictions that they would be good days. They all turned out to be miserable days. I don't blame anyone who travels abroad to places with good weather. It helps your immunity and mood. I have been taking double doses of Vitamin D since the start of June, I normally take double doses from the start of September to the start of May and single doses for the months of May, June, July and August.

I remember the miserable summers of 1985 and 1986. Since the start of June it seems worse than that. This summer will definitely be a contender for the wettest summer on record. August bank holiday weekend tends to be a washout in Ireland and I have a feeling that August will be much the same as the last two months. If you're not taking a good multivitamin already start now and be sure to take Vitamin D and have good fats in your diet. You won't get it any other way in this country.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

garden soaking again after lots of rain last tonight. Today was meant to be a fairly decent day here in the east but instead it is grey, windy and very damp and it doesn't even feel that mild.

I will be looking forward to the end of this trainwreck of a summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

A strong warm breeze in south mayo
    Dry for now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

There's nothing better than sitting out on a sunny morning in Dublin but this summer has been a write off. It's not too be since we got a decent May and early June but even still.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Any signs of a dry spell in August on the long term forecasts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭jaffa20

It definitely does not feel like 19/20 degrees like the forecast said. No sun, miserable cloud and horrible wind. Yep, it's miserable.

Any signs of a dry spell in August on the long term forecasts?

They can't even predict 4 days at this stage, I'd be taking every forecast with a pinch of salt now, unless it's for rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭appledrop

Went to Powerscourt waterfall today.

It could have been a winters day except it wasn't quite as cold.

The wind was unbelievable. God love those who were trying to have picnics on benches . Everything was blowing everywhere. There was a fair few wrapped up in their picnic blankets+ I cabt blame them!

We were grand as wrapped up in coats + not staying too long but for a day that was promised so nice a huge let down for people.

We still had fun though!

On plus side the waterfall was amazing due to crap summer!

I've gone before in summer + you would be very underwhelmed as so little rainfall not at its peak. Today though as I said could have being winter it was pouring down!

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭barneyrub

Pissy day again in sligo. Had arranged to meet friends in the park for the kids to run around as it was supposed to be nice in the afternoon but had to cancel.

ETA: by nice I mean dry

barneyrub wrote: »
    ... it was supposed to be nice in the afternoon but had to cancel.

ETA: by nice I mean dry

I'm obviously not the only one hearing all these totally incorrect forecasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Been a grand day in D24. Out the back all day doing odd jobs and out to play 9 holes now.

We took a week off a few weeks ago in the sunny South East and had a blast, plenty of hiking/cycling, boozing and fine dining.

Wall to wall sunshine would obviously be the dream but it's far from a nightmare without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Today was grand in Dublin, last 10 days or so have been much drier than 1st half of July. Still not good weather though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Brightening up nicely in Castlebar after a dull and wet day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Brightening up now in cork city, sun coming through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭4Ad

Cleared up in East Clare around 1pm. Nice and warm but breezy...Some gardening done..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Gonzo wrote: »
    garden soaking again after lots of rain last tonight. Today was meant to be a fairly decent day here in the east but instead it is grey, windy and very damp and it doesn't even feel that mild.

I will be looking forward to the end of this trainwreck of a summer.

Trainwreck of a year more like:)

Really hope to get away for a week in October before the Winter kicks in.

• Advertisement

[/B]

Trainwreck of a year more like:)

Really hope to get away for a week in October before the Winter kicks in.

To be fair, the start of the lockdown was super weather for about 4 or 5 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

NIMAN wrote: »
    To be fair, the start of the lockdown was super weather for about 4 or 5 weeks.

For parts*, as has been discussed *extensively*.. lets not start this whole debate again! :)

Lovely evening now in Cork City, About 17 degrees. There are some chilly gusts at times though but dry plus some sun? Ill take that any day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Looks more of the plumey type that would no doubt be conducive to big pushes of heat from the Iberian plateau to England whilst Ireland is the donkey with a trough of low pressure pinned on top.

Latest output:

qZ4hclw.png

O3dEmpN.png

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Turned out a lovely warm humid day here in Kerry with plenty of interesting cloud structures of the Lenticular type. Quite windy at times but warm enough not to feel cold. Got up to what is now a rare enough 19.9C ( 5 days over 19C this month ).

Ended up with 28.2mm for rain event between yesterday up to this morning which petered out at around 06.00. Grand mild bright evening at 17.4C. Still windy from the SSE.

Pic: 18.00

JeEyAED.jpg?1

Never took up at all in Wicklow.

Wtf is story now with tomorrows forecast?

Rain for most of day now in East. What happened to nice weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

appledrop wrote: »
    Never took up at all in Wicklow.

Wtf is story now with tomorrows forecast?

Rain for most of day now in East. What happened to nice weather?

Looks like Saturday, Sunday and Monday will be the nice days with good spells of sunshine in the east and southeast but of course the temperatures will dip but I’d imagine it will still feel pleasant enough when the sun is out.

More showery further west.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

esposito wrote: »
    Looks like Saturday, Sunday and Monday will be the nice days with good spells of sunshine in the east and southeast but of course the temperatures will dip but I’d imagine it will still feel pleasant enough when the sun is out.

More showery further west.

GFS is now going for a washout tomorrow, potential washout Saturday, showery Sunday, potential washout Monday and a good old fashioned August deluge on Tuesday:)

Though forecasts have been absolute dung of late so who knows

anim_wsm9.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭pad199207

A very mild and breezy tonight in Kildare 17°c

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭obi604

East Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Feels like someone left the oven on and door open in Dublin this morning! 22.2c atm in Dublin 16 and sun is not even out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement