Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Has Ireland suddenly moved to the Southern Hemisphere and July is now winter
    In Belfast here 13 degrees with rain

Overall we've had a very cool July, temperatures are well below the monthly average in most places between 1 and 2C below the monthly average. It's also been a very wet month away from the south with close to or over 100mm in many eastern, northern and north-western stations. In many areas this has been the poorest July since 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭pauldry

yes it will go down as the poorest July since 2012

We had a run of very poor Summers from 2007 to 2012 but in the years since it hasnt been too bad until this year.

This July any sun at all is like a glorious day even when its just 16c

Other Julys you would be looking for over 20c but this year that has been rare until the end of this week perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

VERY windy in south mayo
    Great drying though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Once again look at the contrast in Europe today, this has been the story of summer 2020

Edinburgh 15 degrees
    Dublin 18 degrees
    London 19 degrees
    Paris 32 degrees
    Madrid 38 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭pad199207

Once again look at the contrast in Europe today, this has been the story of summer 2020

Edinburgh 15 degrees
    Dublin 18 degrees
    London 19 degrees
    Paris 32 degrees
    Madrid 38 degrees

Pretty much normal temps for summer for NW Europe. I honestly don’t know why your comparing Dublin to Madrid.

• Advertisement

pad199207 wrote: »
    Pretty much normal temps for summer for NW Europe. I honestly don’t know why your comparing Dublin to Madrid.

I am comparing Northern Europe to Southern Europe in terms of the extremes. The contrast is much greater this summer than normal. I hardly think Dublin is expected to be like Madrid. Hence why I listed several cities

Also while Paris would always be much warmer than london, it has regularly been between 10-12 degrees warmer which is a massive contrast given the distance between the two cities geographically

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Also while Paris would always be much warmer than london, it has regularly been between 10-12 degrees warmer which is a massive contrast given the distance between the two cities geographically

This has been a particularly poor summer for London and the south-east of England in general, normally they are not that far from Paris in terms of temperatures, usually 21 to 25C throughout the summer with high twenties alot more regular than we get in Ireland. This summer has been different with London seeing a summer more like Dublin and temperatures in the high teens most of the time.

Meanwhile here in Ireland it has also been a poor summer and we have struggled to get the temperatures above 19C for almost the entire summer with mid teens regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Some seriously strong gusts in East Galway in the last hour. Was this forecast or did I miss it?

It was a broken sunshine, moderately windy day with showers otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

A few isolated showers in the Northwest today according to Met Éireann. It's been shower after shower here in West Clare, and they've been fairly heavy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Got caught out in a torrential downpour while out walking in Kildare about an hour ago. When I say I was soaked, the money in my wallet was wet.

Its incredible how quickly it can go from blue sky to biblical downpours in the space of a few minutes.

I don't know whats depressing me more, this weather or the pandemic.

Anyone in the know seen any long term forecasts with good news on the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭appledrop

Well first day of our 'staycation' + better than expected.

Now what I mean by that is we left the house in raincoats early this morning not expecting much but thankfully it cleared up.

No it definitely wasn't a 'summers' day but at least it was dry+ we were able to potter around happily for the day once we had our light jackets on.

My expectations at this stage are not high!

We are now at about 86mm for DA for July if you include todays rain do far.

Anyone know top 5 highest rainfall totals for DA for July?

Also the lowest maximum temperature for July at DA?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Got caught out in a torrential downpour while out walking in Kildare about an hour ago. When I say I was soaked, the money in my wallet was wet.

Its incredible how quickly it can go from blue sky to biblical downpours in the space of a few minutes.

I don't know whats depressing me more, this weather or the pandemic.

Anyone in the know seen any long term forecasts with good news on the way?

The long term forecasts said July was going to be nice so useless information really.

Raining here again for last hour..... we are on 12mm so far for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,838 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Random isolated squall/shower bringing heavy rain from North Kildare into West Dublin just now.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Random isolated squall/shower bringing heavy rain from North Kildare into West Dublin just now.

We are getting this now its lashing out of the heavens as my granny used to say!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭zisdead

Confirmed sudden Squall hit Clondalkin about 8.33 pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭lolie

Same shower line that passed through here about 6.30 this evening, left a lovely bright rainbow as it passed.
    No heat going to loss now, down to 12c outside.
    qrf.jpg

Just watching met eireamn forecast there.

I think Jean said about 6 times that it will be cool tomorrow. Better keep the jacket again so.

Wed looks a washout but nice Thur + Fri fingers crossed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

The bank holiday weekend ahead looks fairly ok. it wont be hot and sunny,however it wont be a wash out. Bright and mostly dry with temperatures about 16 to 20 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Very disappointing temperatures this summer. Thursday and Friday will be into the low twenties widely but as usual it won’t last long as the cooler air takes over again for the bank holiday weekend.

It would not surprise me if we get our warmest temperatures in late August & early September. A hot plume for a few days in September no doubt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

esposito wrote: »
    Very disappointing temperatures this summer. Thursday and Friday will be into the low twenties widely but as usual it won’t last long as the cooler air takes over again for the bank holiday weekend.

It would not surprise me if we get our warmest temperatures in late August & early September. A hot plume for a few days in September no doubt.

Based on the last number of years I wouldn`t be holding out much hope for an extended spell of warm dry weather in August and the charts don`t show any sign of it at present either. Maybe September might bring something better for a while anyway before Autumn really sets in.

two very cool days coming up with temperatures several degrees below normal.

Tomorrow 13 to 16C, similar values that we would get in April.

18-580UK.GIF?27-18

Wednesday is cooler still. 10 to 13C widely across the country, for the height of summer these are disgraceful temperatures that wouldn't look out of place in mid December. Wednesday also looks quite wet along with this chilly temperatues.

42-580UK.GIF?27-18

Based on the last number of years I wouldn`t be holding out much hope for an extended spell of warm dry weather in August and the charts don`t show any sign of it at present either. Maybe September might bring something better for a while anyway before Autumn really sets in.

Oh I know all about recent August’s in Ireland! I’m just thinking the last couple of days of August it might warm up but who knows.

esposito wrote: »
    Oh I know all about recent August’s in Ireland! I’m just thinking the last couple of days of August it might warm up but who knows.

This July has been so poor that I find it hard to believe that August will be on the same level in terms of chilly temperatures and many days of cloud and rain, this July is going to be tough to beat. We are most likely in store for another mixed August, but I've a feeling it won't be quite as bad as July, particularly the opening 10 or 12 days of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,106 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Had the heating on this evening.

That's just sad for July.

Gonzo wrote: »

Wednesday is cooler still. 10 to 13C widely across the country, for the height of summer these are disgraceful temperatures that wouldn't look out of place in mid December.

]

Disgraceful is the word alright. This summer is as bad as they get temperature wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I got back last summer from central Europe after some time away. Summer 19 was uneventful but pleasant I remember. Quite dry and summery. We said goodbye to summer in early June. It's not even about good weather or dryness. It's like a feeling and it's just felt like autumn for the last 4 weeks.
    In South dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Gonzo wrote: »
    two very cool days coming up with temperatures several degrees below normal.

Tomorrow 13 to 16C, similar values that we would get in April.

The entire summer has been 13-16C in the north west so nothing unusual there for us. In fact just looking at Finner, we've only had 2 days in the whole of "July" that have topped 17C

Today is about the best we can hope for by the looks of it, cold (my phone currently has a 'feels like' temp of 6C :pac:), windy and showery but at least there's periods of sun

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement