Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs when/will they re-open - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭hynesie08

rubadub wrote: »
    What is your issue with night clubs?

That question is posed to any "anti-nightclub campaigners" like yourself. Also if you think pubs should be open do you think any restrictions should be in place? and if these were in place in nightclubs would you have an issue with them opening?

You either can't see the difference between Coppers and grogan's, or you're using a
    reductio ad absurdum.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

hynesie08 wrote: »
    You either can't see the difference between Coppers and grogan's, or you're using a
    reductio ad absurdum.
    (nice try :rolleyes: actually pathetic...) I can certainly see the difference, traditionally, so please give me your reasons. Your explanation might make it clear to others, and that is what I am simply getting at. I am asking for it to be spelt out legalistically, is that so hard? (3 people have thanked your post so far, maybe they can explain!?)

Many people already know the answers to the questions/points they are embarrassingly feigning confusion about. It's utterly cringe-worthy at this stage.

I can certainly see the difference, traditionally, so please give me your reasons. Your explanation might make it clear to others, and that is what I am simply getting at. I am asking for it to be spelt out legalistically, is that so hard? (3 people have thanked your post so far, maybe they can explain!?)

Many people already know the answers to the questions/points they are embarrassingly feigning confusion about. It's utterly cringe-worthy at this stage.

Legalistically, ireland doesn't have nightclubs, question answered. There are merely food or non food pubs, all should be allowed open with tight measures. But please, spout some ****e about Eddie rockets that you think prove a point

Legalistically, ireland doesn't have nightclubs, question answered.
    excellent!! (and as I said pathetic!) I look forward to seeing Gervais08 arguing with you on that point. I have heard there is no such definition before, only some sort of dancehall laws. That is what I am fishing for, people to give actual legal definitions and how they are able to differentiate between pubs and "nightclubs".

I am genuinely interested in seeing if there is a legalistic difference between the 2, that somebody cannot twist. I had heard of the restaurant/pub thing many years ago.

I am pretty sure I saw others scoffing at the idea of "nightclubs" being allowed to open and would encourage them to make their logic known why they should be closed.

You either can't see the difference between Coppers and grogan's,.
    Legalistically, ireland doesn't have nightclubs, question answered. There are merely food or non food pubs,
    :pac: ohhh lordy... thank you for making the point

• Advertisement

excellent!! (and as I said pathetic!) I look forward to seeing Gervais08 arguing with you on that point. I have heard there is no such definition before, only some sort of dancehall laws. That is what I am fishing for, people to give actual legal definitions and how they are able to differentiate between pubs and "nightclubs".

I am genuinely interested in seeing if there is a legalistic difference between the 2, that somebody cannot twist. I had heard of the restaurant/pub thing many years ago.

I am pretty sure I saw others scoffing at the idea of "nightclubs" being allowed to open and would encourage them to make their logic known why they should be closed

You're trying so hard and then this....... Who is actually asking for "nightclubs" to be opened......

You're trying so hard and then this....... Who is actually asking for "nightclubs" to be opened......
    Trying so hard with what exactly? It's like trying to get blood from a stone.

I am exactly the one asking for "nightclubs" to be opened, so what now? the other lad had no answer either, just as I expected. And the reason why is utterly obvious!

Everybody knows why! this cringeworthy head in the sand stuff is fooling nobody. You do realise that right?!! you are fooling nobody! embarrassing cringe-worthy stuff...

Trying so hard with what exactly? It's like trying to get blood from a stone.

I am exactly the one asking for "nightclubs" to be opened, so what now? the other lad had no answer either, just as I expected. And the reason is why is utterly obvious!

Everybody knows why! this cringeworthy head in the sand stuff is fooling nobody. You do realise that right?!! you are fooling nobody! embarrassing cringe-worthy stuff...

You want coppers open, fair enough, that makes this easy..... Until there's a vaccine you're not playing stinky fingers because of the restrictions.

Pint pubs should still be open with the same restrictions as gastropubs though, and if "nightclubs" wish to open under those restrictions, good luck to them...

You want coppers open, fair enough, that makes this easy..... Until there's a vaccine you're not playing stinky fingers because of the restrictions.

Pint pubs should still be open with the same restrictions as gastropubs though, and if "nightclubs" wish to open under those restrictions, good luck to them...
    christ, how pathetic an attempt of weaseling out. I am looking for legalistic reasons here.

I am looking for answers..., is your suggestion to have gardai going around looking for people finger blasting young ones in the beer garden of late opening nighclub-like pubs with blasting music? and deeming them to be too similar to nightclubs.

The problem I am (quite obviously) talking about, is how do you legally distinguish between "auld lad rural pint pubs" and "city centre early opening nightclub style pubs" which are pretty much indistinguishable at 11.45 as they are at 1:35, if they have the legal ability to turn into a nightclub (if your definition of which is solely based on time)".

What are the restrictions would you want in the pubs? (if any), many seem to want them back similar to what they were, e.g. being able to stand at a bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭votecounts

Are Wetherspoons open on Friday?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭SB71

votecounts wrote: »
    Are Wetherspoons open on Friday?

Id imagine they will, last time though they strictly stuck to the 105 minute time limit so worth knowing in case they have this again, most people wont bother unless just stopping for a quick bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

niteclubs (and the rest) should be open - a ****in nonsense that they aren't.

If you believe they should be closed don't complain about house parties after the pubs close if you don't offer later venues.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

What is your issue with night clubs?

That question is posed to any "anti-nightclub campaigners" like yourself. Also if you think pubs should be open do you think any restrictions should be in place? and if these were in place in nightclubs would you have an issue with them opening?

Wouldn’t it by ironic to declare them
    Anti-nightclub. And assert they won’t be happy until everyone is as miserable as them. Then say they’re obviously anti-drink, anti-fun, anti-music, anti-dancing.

You and I know those things don’t follow from not supporting nightclubs reopening at the moment. But it’s the same logic that employed when someone says they don’t think pubs should reopen until it’s safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

paw patrol wrote: »
    niteclubs (and the rest) should be open - a ****in nonsense that they aren't.

If you believe they should be closed don't complain about house parties after the pubs close if you don't offer later venues.

absolutely agree, pubs should be set to high priority and staff (by choice) offered the vaccine and all punters must be vaccinated before being allowed to attend public houses/clubs. Let's use these brave souls as guinea pigs so the patient folk can observe and then dget vaccinated :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Can't believe how excited I am about the restaurants opening tomorrow...we have a small office of 12 people and normally we would only have 6 or 7 going to the Xmas party but tomorrow all 12 are going. We are not all on 1 table but still the feeling of getting out is going to be great...not looking forward to Saturday morning though lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

DellyBelly wrote: »
    but tomorrow all 12 are going

They probably never heard Covid could damage fertility of up to 20% of male survivors, including those symptomless. Grandfather Darwin would be laughing seeing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Can't believe how excited I am about the restaurants opening tomorrow...we have a small office of 12 people and normally we would only have 6 or 7 going to the Xmas party but tomorrow all 12 are going. We are not all on 1 table but still the feeling of getting out is going to be great...not looking forward to Saturday morning though lol...

Christmas parties are banned
    Any more than 6 people from the one group not allowed .even if sitting at different tables
    it was well promoted earlier in the week

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/office-christmas-parties-banned-under-new-rules-for-restaurants-and-pubs-39809491.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

brisan wrote: »
    Any more than 6 people from the one group not allowed .even if sitting at different tables

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/office-christmas-parties-banned-under-new-rules-for-restaurants-and-pubs-39809491.html

Hotel it is so

Hotel it is so

Same rules apply

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Same rules apply

Apologies for being a killjoy but I doubt any restaurant or pub or a Hotel is going to turn away 2 groups of 6 under any circumstances, this is the real world thank god.

• Advertisement

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Apologies for being a killjoy but I doubt any restaurant or pub or a Hotel is going to turn away 2 groups of 6 under any circumstances, this is the real world thank god.

I think you will find some will
    The fear of being outed on social media ,the fear of being in the headlines for all the wrong reasons ,the fear of regular Gardaí inspections
    These and other reasons will make sure a lot of restaurants enforce the rules
    Look at the Berlin bar
    its reputation ruined in 30 secs

I think you will find some will
    The fear of being outed on social media ,the fear of being in the headlines for all the wrong reasons ,the fear of regular Gardaí inspections
    These and other reasons will make sure a lot of restaurants enforce the rules
    Look at the Berlin bar
    its reputation ruined in 30 secs

Those days have passed now and in the past they shall remain.

The worm has turned, the anti drink brigades' time is burning like a candle at both ends.

It is going to be a great party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭BryanMartin21

Hotel it is so

We're contemplating getting rooms in a hotel, a night away from the wives and girlfriends. Then we'll see what they will allow us get up to at the residents bar but, if not a lot, we will just head up to the rooms. To be clear, just looking to have beers and a good laugh, nothing too sinister! Some good deals on hotels.

Apologies for being a killjoy.
    anti drink brigades' time is burning like a candle at both ends. .
    I am not sure if you are taking the piss, or if your user name checks out and you have no idea what these phrases actually intend to mean, and what people mean in their posts...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,899 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Might try and get in somewhere tomorrow but might be a little tricky been on my lonesome but never know, hopefully ill get in somewhere. Be mortified booking a table and more than likely they won't take a booking for 1

Think there will be xmas parties and no way they can police it. Farcical rules

• Registered Users Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

PTH2009 wrote: »

Think there will be xmas parties and no way they can police it. Farcical rules

It’s going to rely on people to be sensible and stick to the rules themselves. Like adults who can behave well in an emergency situation without someone standing over them, making them do the right thing.

It’s funny to see how posters swing between complaining about rules being imposed and not being trusted to behave responsibly, and then complaining that the rules can’t be policed and posters suggesting they have no intention to stick to the rules unless forced to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Mate of mine got a booking for 12 in the form of 2 tables of 6 for next weekend 12th Dec on the clear basis that the tables will not and cannot be together. Seems fair enough to me, looking forward to it

I am not sure if you are taking the piss, or if your user name checks out and you have no idea what these phrases actually intend to mean, and what people mean in their posts...

Keep trying harder, you will eventually get more assurance in both your impression of what I am trying to say and hopefully what I am hoping you will perceive?

The ban is done. Long live the pub. It is going to be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Thats me wrote: »
    They probably never heard Covid could damage fertility of up to 20% of male survivors, including those symptomless. Grandfather Darwin would be laughing seeing this.

Could be seen as a positive by some lol. Many of us have already made our contribution and aren't too keen on making more ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

bladespin wrote: »
    Could be seen as a positive by some lol. Many of us have already made our contribution and aren't too keen on making more ;)

Ironically, people in that age are more often have enough wisdom, reason and responsibility to avoid visiting public places in mid of pandemic wave. :cool:

Advertisement