Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs when/will they re-open - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    And were you guys asked if from same household or just allowed to not socially distance around same table without questions?

What would be the point in that? How are the staff supposed to verify what they are told?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

El Weirdo wrote: »
    What would be the point in that? How are the staff supposed to verify what they are told?

No point as you could lie yeah. Was just curious if even mentioned was all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,692 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

And were you guys asked if from same household or just allowed to not socially distance around same table without questions?

No questions at all ,
    We had 3 tables all right beside each other, So it was like one big table ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

What would the point of that be? It's hardly a fun night out if it's with the same people you've been locked up with tor the past 4 months;)

No questions at all ,
    We had 3 tables all right beside each other, So it was like one big table ,

Sounds like a good dose of normality which is good. And you'd imagine a good chunk of people out like that will have the new app which can only help. Hand washing etc keeping away from other groups. With the all the sport over July / Aug it could be a grand o'l summer when other pubs open on 20th. Obviously all going well, touch wood etc!!

• Advertisement

dotsman wrote: »
    What would the point of that be? It's hardly a fun night out if it's with the same people you've been locked up with tor the past 4 months;)

Well I love the people I've been locked up with !!

(looking over shoulder!)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,692 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Sounds like a good dose of normality which is good. And you'd imagine a good chunk of people out like that will have the new app which can only help. Hand washing etc keeping away from other groups. With the all the sport over July / Aug it could be a grand o'l summer when other pubs open on 20th. Obviously all going well, touch wood etc!!

Ye it nice I have to say and everyone was happy to just have a few pints and head off , Still a bit mad to be in a pub without people milling around and no one sitting at the bar but it'll do for now ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Jesus 30 pubs in Tullamore

Only ever there for GAA matches (O Connor Park is a nice stadium) so prob never took much attention to the size of the town

Spollens
    The Townhouse (not reopening)
    The Bus Bar
    Brewery Tap
    Omiya Bar (formerly Bob Smyths)
    The Phoenix
    Hugh Lynch’s
    The Lantern
    Eugene Kellys
    O’Connors (formerly The Goalpost)
    Digans
    The Harbour Bar
    Fergies
    Joe Lees
    The Newtown Inn (formerly An Portach)
    Maunsells
    Tullamore Dew (closes at 5.30 pre and post covid, so being generous there with pub)

Im not counting the Bridge House Hotel Bars x2 or the Tullamore Court Hotel Bar as they aren’t pubs so that leaves 17 pubs that were open pre lockdown.

So basically 30 my hole!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭bennyineire

lickalot wrote: »
    That's Offaly though, there a big backwards in that part of the country.

Havn't been all over the country but know the county i'm in half of them are open, know in Cork, Waterford, Kilkenny and Tipp as well there's plenty open. Its go around the back door job for a lot of them.

So Offaly is a bit backwards because it is complying with the law but Cork,Waterford, Kilkenny and Tipp are bastians of modernity because they engage in the great Irish tradition of "wink and nod'. Lol's your post in contradictory, by the way its "they're" not "there", I wonder what hick school you went to

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Jimi H

So Offaly is a bit backwards because it is compiling with the law but Cork,Waterford, Kilkenny and Tipp are bastians of modernity because they engage in the great Irish tradition of "wink and nod'. Lol's your post in contradictory, by the way its "their" not "there", I wonder what hick school you went to

It’s actually “they’re”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Spollens
    The Townhouse (not reopening)
    The Bus Bar
    Brewery Tap
    Omiya Bar (formerly Bob Smyths)
    The Phoenix
    Hugh Lynch’s
    The Lantern
    Eugene Kellys
    O’Connors (formerly The Goalpost)
    Digans
    The Harbour Bar
    Fergies
    Joe Lees
    The Newtown Inn (formerly An Portach)
    Maunsells
    Tullamore Dew (closes at 5.30 pre and post covid, so being generous there with pub)

Im not counting the Bridge House Hotel Bars x2 or the Tullamore Court Hotel Bar as they aren’t pubs so that leaves 17 pubs that were open pre lockdown.

So basically 30 my hole!!

Fair enough my number is outdated due to the many pubs that have closed over the last 20 years, not sure why don't count hotel bars as they are bars..

But yep well done for taking the time to count and then finish your post with "me hole". All very relevant to my post about pubs complying with the law of course

I can imagine you are great criac altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

26 potential breaches out of 2785 pubs checked last weekend.

They "may be prosecuted". In other words we don't know because we don't actually have any legislation to underpin most of these guidelines

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/gardai-find-26-pubs-potentially-in-breach-of-health-regulations-39352958.html

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

26 potential breaches out of 2785 pubs checked last weekend.

They "may be prosecuted". In other words we don't know because we don't actually have any legislation to underpin most of these guidelines

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/gardai-find-26-pubs-potentially-in-breach-of-health-regulations-39352958.html

We do. It's actually the public health regulations from the emergency amendment to the 1947 Health Act. Not sure about the fines.

It's in here.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2020/act/1/section/6/enacted/en/html#sec6

is_that_so wrote: »
    We do. It's actually the public health regulations from the emergency amendment to the 1947 Health Act. Not sure about the fines.

It's in here.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2020/act/1/section/6/enacted/en/html#sec6

I've read it over the last week or so. Nowhere does it say guidelines such as 6 to a table, signage etc are underpinned by legislation. They aren't hard rules.

Emergency legislation can be brought through under this yes but currently there is no provision for breach of guidelines. Note they are guidelines.

Its been extensively discussed, at best they can put a bad word in for license renewal in September if you've breached the social distance guidelines etc.

Now if your actually in breach of licensing laws such as not serving food that's a different story

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I've read it over the last week or so. Nowhere does it say guidelines are underpinned by legislation.

Emergency legislation can be brought through under this yes but currently there is no provision for breach of guidelines. Note they are guidelines.

Its been extensively discussed, at best they can put a bad word in for license renewal in September
    It doesn't have to explicitly state that but that section does refer to regulations. The legislation can give the Minister even more power under the Health Act, one reason some people queried the length of enforcement of the new Act. It's the same as the transport changes and masks, if and when they come in, they will be regulations not guidelines.

I think they'll give pubs a warning rather than fine them for a first offence. It'll be moot in a week and a half when they can open anyway unless they continue to breach the basic regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Have a read of this..
    Professor Ruairí Brugha: We must close the pubs again - our health workers deserve better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Close the pubs in breach of the new regulations.My local is a family run pub and put major effort into opening back up.Employs a lot of people too. Why should they be punished.

Santy2015 wrote: »
    Have a read of this..
    Professor Ruairí Brugha: We must close the pubs again - our health workers deserve better

It’s on the journal, the link won’t work. The fear mongering and so on is ridiculously over the top. All these people/experts want a second wave. They need to come out and admit it. Love their voices being heard. The darlings of the island now who will be ridiculed in a few months when the economy is crippled our hospitals over run with non Covid illness, mental health problems, unemployment, poverty. The list goes on.!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

The Rock is open.

I'll give that a miss. Clientele from the now close joint Stab Inn drink there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Have a read of this..

The guy's a complete troll.

Here is the link by the way.

This tosser wants to close the Dublin pubs (what's the bet he's a bogger?). And he's against house parties as well???

They only allow a few pubs open with stupid rules designed solely to pi$$ people off and what happens? People are forced to drink on the streets.
    What do you think happens if they shut the pubs completely? More house parties!

This cúnt has the intelligence of a housefly.

All Pubs needed to be open since early June, with proper and intelligent measures implemented to ensure a low-risk environment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,188 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I'm not hopeful about pubs staying open. I think we need to make the most of it over the next 2 -3 weeks.

I’m convinced they won’t open on the 20th. Zero guidelines for normal pubs and Micheal martins rhetoric is patronising

I’m convinced they won’t open on the 20th. Zero guidelines for normal pubs and Micheal martins rhetoric is patronising

To be fair the guidelines will be more or less the same just without the food part. There's not much that needs to be changed. Few pubs near me are using those guidelines, getting the signage in etc just ignoring any part that references food.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,167 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

enjoying my day

Got a pizza and few pints in a gastropub, sit at a table and scan QR code and order. Only grip is €0.95 service charge

Never a fan of paying card but this system is not bad

PTH2009 wrote: »
    enjoying my day

Got a pizza and few pints in a gastropub, sit at a table and scan QR code and order. Only grip is €0.95 service charge

Never a fan of paying card but this system is not bad

Yeah where I was last night have brought in online ordering. Was really very efficient, no service charge mind you but it was so much easier to use the online system. I'm not a weatherspoons fan but the only thing I do like is their app, wish more places would bring in similar

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Yeah I agree there just seems to be a general feeling now that pubs won’t open on the 20th.
    I’ve been checking the social media accounts of the bars I would usually frequent in Dublin and none of them have posted anything yet in relation to re-opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few..."

All through this Lockdown people have been buying marquee tents, BBQ's, garden furniture, Beer keg machines the lot!
    And have been plaguing neighbours with all night parties along with the increased noise levels you have multiples of people without observing physical distancing, all the increased hygiene measures.. And the Gardai don't have the time or resources to go to the majority of calls they get, besides, who's gonna call the cops on their neighbours when you could be likely to get a beer bottle through your window...

This whole thing of pushing out the dates to re-open Pubs is just a way to make sure the public is seen to be the cause of all the issues, not the poor Govt. leadership and lack of clarity on many measures such as masks, the lack of testing and the poor contract tracing system...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,167 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

the ****ing effort trying to organise a few drinks in a pub just for myself

'No we can't take bookings through facebook please ring' (I ****ing hate talking on the phone)

Going to try and walk in somewhere and ask can I book a table for later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Funny enough if you get food in a pub you won’t get the virus lol crazy that most pubs that serve a sliver of food are open as normal, some pubs I think are being screwed cause they can’t offer food when in reality allot of pubs are back to normality where most locals just waltz in and get pints. I know one such guy goes for pints goes home for dinner n comes back for pints like he’s always done. Some ppl are sticking to the rules n stopping themselves from enjoying a few pints where as the ppl who don’t give a damn drink away as normal. Most pubs won’t throw away any business, they are as hard up as they have ever been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few..."

All through this Lockdown people have been buying marquee tents, BBQ's, garden furniture, Beer keg machines the lot!
    And have been plaguing neighbours with all night parties along with the increased noise levels you have multiples of people without observing physical distancing, all the increased hygiene measures.. And the Gardai don't have the time or resources to go to the majority of calls they get, besides, who's gonna call the cops on their neighbours when you could be likely to get a beer bottle through your window...

This whole thing of pushing out the dates to re-open Pubs is just a way to make sure the public is seen to be the cause of all the issues, not the poor Govt. leadership and lack of clarity on many measures such as masks, the lack of testing and the poor contract tracing system...

Agreed, for months now the government have been way behind on beefing up the health system, only in the past few days they are “considering” testing in the airports, what an absolute joke. They’ve been constantly putting off this “testing capacity” BS too. The HSE were shocking before this and they weren’t going to suddenly pull it out of the bag. Not opening pubs then blaming sessions is so hypocritical it’s untrue.

Advertisement