Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs when/will they re-open - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Bump!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Just 2 weeks to go (and about 3 months too late!)

http://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0908/1163832-covid-cabinet-pubs/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Whats the story with sports being shown at the moment? Some pubs have tvs on and advertise what game is upcoming on social media and some have their tvs off claiming they aint allowed have them on.

Also, will that rule continue on Sept 21?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

py2006 wrote: »
    Whats the story with sports being shown at the moment? Some pubs have tvs on and advertise what game is upcoming on social media and some have their tvs off claiming they aint allowed have them on.

I've been to 4 different pubs/sports bar (with food) since they reopened - in all of them to watch football matches.
    In all cases when we booked the table we added a note in the booking that we would like to watch such and such match - and in all cases we were given a table in front of a screen.
    All other rules applied: social distancing, food ordering, time limit - although they are a bit more lenient and allow 2 hours as a football match would usually go a few minutes over the 105 minutes that are officially allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

So unfortunately my prediction was right....

So many jobs gone for 6 months is ridiculous, we will pay for this for the next 10 years at least.

If they had of sent in people properly trained to look after the elderly and in hospitals we would never have had the numbers.

They were way too late at doing anything and nothing has changed, we have absolute numpties in power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Hugh O'Connell
    September 08 2020 05:53 PM
    'WET' pubs may not be allowed to reopen as planned from September 21 and other businesses may also be forced to close if the Covid-19 situation worsens in the coming days, the Government has admitted.

Well that went well.

Hugh O'Connell
    'WET' pubs may not be allowed to reopen as planned from September 21 and other businesses may also be forced to close if the Covid-19 situation worsens in the coming days, the Government has admitted.

Well that went well.

More so in Dublin and Limerick I believe.

Numbers high but no deaths......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Hugh O'Connell

Well that went well.

Apart from maybe a delay in Dublin and Limerick, if they don't allow the opening of pubs on September 21st no-one will believe a word out of their mouths again.

At this stage they've no choice but to open them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Delaying the opening of pubs in Dublin/Limerick due to a spike in cases is pointless

Once you open them there is going to be a spike anyway so you are just kicking the can down the road- if we want things to open back up then we are going to have to live with cases.

And they need to stop this bullsh*t of announcing the number of cases every day.

It’s been a solid 6 months of fear mongering now- most people are over it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭inthenip

py2006 wrote: »

All pubs are indeed allowed to show sports. The problem here is that a lot of pubs are paying in excess of 10,000 euro per year to have skysport and BT.

It is probably an expense that they don't need right now. Also the seating and viewing of the televisions in some pubs is terrible so they can't have 40 lads packed into a corner watching it so what's the point of getting it. Wouldn't be worth there while paying for it.

• Advertisement

Rent out tablets to watch it on could be an option, not ideal but could be an idea.

Rent out tablets to watch it on could be an option, not ideal but could be an idea.

Sky knows which pubs have subscriptions and who don't and have people working for them going around to all the pubs who have cancelled their subscriptions. Sky give them one chance to stop things like this and on second visiting they bring them to court and the pub can get a massive fine and incur all the court costs.

A lot of country pubs have switched to dodgy boxes as Sky is simply too dear for them but a lot had to get rid of them as the Sky gave them a warning, next time its court.

Sky actually pay people to travel the country and have a lucozade in these pubs. They don't even identify themselves as employees of Sky.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

inthenip wrote: »
    Sky knows which pubs have subscriptions and who don't and have people working for them going around to all the pubs who have cancelled their subscriptions. Sky give them one chance to stop things like this and on second visiting they bring them to court and the pub can get a massive fine and incur all the court costs.

A lot of country pubs have switched to dodgy boxes as Sky is simply too dear for them but a lot had to get rid of them as the Sky gave them a warning, next time its court.

Sky actually pay people to travel the country and have a lucozade in these pubs. They don't even identify themselves as employees of Sky.

How much are the fines?

On what broadcasting legislation are publicans expected to turn up to court to face?

Is IMRO involved?

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    How much are the fines?

On what broadcasting legislation are publicans expected to turn up to court to face?

Is IMRO involved?

rte.ie/news/leinster/2019/0117/1023882-sky-tullamore-court/#:~:text=Tullamore%20pub%20fined%20for%20illegally%20showing%20Premier%20League%20match&text=A%20private%20investigator%20hired%20by,match%2C%20a%20court%20has%20heard.

digitaltveurope.com/2019/08/22/three-irish-pubs-ordered-to-pay-sky-fines/

Maybe someone can clear those two links up for me as can't post links.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Great idea, I've seen lads watching a hurling match on RTE Player recently because of the lack of TVs etc on the Covid age pub/restaurant.

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Great idea, I've seen lads watching a hurling match on RTE Player recently because of the lack of TVs etc on the Covid age pub/restaurant.

Big difference to renting tablets with Sky sports and BT than watching a hurling or rugby game on Rte.

rte.ie/news/leinster/2019/0117/1023882-sky-tullamore-court/#:~:text=Tullamore%20pub%20fined%20for%20illegally%20showing%20Premier%20League%20match&text=A%20private%20investigator%20hired%20by,match%2C%20a%20court%20has%20heard.

digitaltveurope.com/2019/08/22/three-irish-pubs-ordered-to-pay-sky-fines/

Maybe someone can clear those two links up for me as can't post links.

Done, and thanks for posting.

https://www.rte.ie/news/leinster/2019/0117/1023882-sky-tullamore-court/

https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2019/08/22/three-irish-pubs-ordered-to-pay-sky-fines/

They are hefty enough fines getting "dished" out ( sorry ). I am assuming that once judgement is passed that the fines are enforceable?

How much does a commercial Sky package cost a publican annually, out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

Would Sky have a case if they found a pub showing live sports from US or other countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

They are hefty enough fines getting "dished" out ( sorry ). I am assuming that once judgement is passed that the fines are enforceable?

How much does a commercial Sky package cost a publican annually, out of interest?

I think Sky costs about 600 a month starting depending on the pub revenue

• Advertisement

They take a few things into account like location, capacity etc. but a lot of publicans are forking out 10K plus, larger pubs and city pubs a lot more.

heffo500 wrote: »
    Would Sky have a case if they found a pub showing live sports from US or other countries?

Nope, no case whatsoever. They do threaten you though.

Going by yesterdays numbers I can't see the pubs opening backup on the 21st.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Nope, no case whatsoever. They do threaten you though.

Going by yesterdays numbers I can't see the pubs opening backup on the 21st.

You think the country will be in lockdown on the 21st?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

robbiezero wrote: »

I think Dublin will be, my friend is up there today for something and he said it’s dead up there, sent me pictures and it’s like the apocalypse up there. Barely a beggar, junkie ir the average Joe in the city centre. On the news today saying Dublin could double the car a week the way it’s going there. I also agree pubs won’t be open on the 21st.

I think Dublin will be, my friend is up there today for something and he said it’s dead up there, sent me pictures and it’s like the apocalypse up there. Barely a beggar, junkie ir the average Joe in the city centre. On the news today saying Dublin could double the car a week the way it’s going there. I also agree pubs won’t be open on the 21st.

Wouldn't call it dead but the walking dead are still here, the sun draws them out more where you would see them.... Bit cooler today so not as many sitting about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭robbiezero

No changes where I'm living in D5 anyway. I doubt there is any difference in the city centre towards a normal Covid Thursday morning either.

Pubs will 100% be open in most counties on the 21st, and I think they will likely be open in Dublin. I can't see them locking down Dublin, bar telling people stay out of each others homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

City centre is quieter than normal times but its pretty much like this every day now and I'm in work for a few days of the week in the city. Bit of an over exaggeration from your friend.

Don't worry all of them are still around.

All city centres will suffer as people stay local

• Registered Users Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

So unfortunately my prediction was right....

So many jobs gone for 6 months is ridiculous, we will pay for this for the next 10 years at least.

If they had of sent in people properly trained to look after the elderly and in hospitals we would never have had the numbers.

They were way too late at doing anything and nothing has changed, we have absolute numpties in power.

You mean like nurses and doctors? Also how about the people who are not elderly and have underlying health conditions, or anyone that may be near elderly such as cooks cleaners orderlys etc.

I am not saying this is has been handled terribly in the last couple of months but you paint a way too simplistic picture

• Registered Users Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

robbiezero wrote: »

Given how they went ham with Kildare Laois and Offaly it will happen. Also given how they are grouping other counties with Dublin like Limerick they can not lockdown those without Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I've seen the opposite. There's a far higher visible presence of junkies and scumbags. I've only been in town twice in the last few months. The first time I seen junkies fighting at the Spire, the second time I seen some security guards at a shop around the IFSC having to hold two junkies down who tried to rob a shop. It's making Dublin look ten times worse than usual.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Advertisement