Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs when/will they re-open - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

seamusk84 wrote:
    Deposit, can be used towards my pint/food

That's fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,740 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

The Nal wrote: »
    Wheres the logic in forcing people to buy food?

Because the pubs are getting around the pubs not opening for 3 weeks by opening as restaurants where you go to have food, if they are not serving food then they are just a pub and are at an unfair advantage to those who can not open. That is also the reason for the minimum price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

I know the pub up the road from me is jammers today and with just bowls of sausages on every table to cover incase the cops show up, now they were serving food until 9pm but not forcing the €9 per person food purchase as far as I’m told. Pubs are well known for their dealings so the government know they can’t police it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,010 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I know the pub up the road from me is jammers today and with just bowls of sausages on every table to cover incase the cops show up, now they were serving food until 9pm but not forcing the €9 per person food purchase as far as I’m told. Pubs are well known for their dealings so the government know they can’t police it.

Which pub is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Which pub is it?

I’m not getting any place in trouble. Won’t be too hard to find if you know Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭aziz

I’m not getting any place in trouble. Won’t be too hard to find if you know Waterford.

Ah give us a clue,I could murder a pint now 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

Oh the pleasure of today's fresh pints is beyond description. The excellent food just couldn't compete.
    A lot safer and more comfortable (in this particular hostelry anyway) than in any supermarket or even any hospital, and without their bleakness.
    No mad rush anywhere in town, more like a communal sigh of relief and a very secure-feeling, calm experience. Most places doing very good business, without any 'crowding'.
    Some places still closed until the weekend, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Benimar wrote: »
    Yeah, I think they are ok with that.

The time limit is to allow for a reduction in social distancing from 2m to 1m.

Where can this info be found?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,597 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is it 1m distance and all open pubs must serve food with the drinks?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

I know a lot of businesses are in the process of reopening for trading including the pubs.

However if there is a prolonged state of paralysis for these businesses like I've witnessed the last number of weeks, not only will they be fcuked but Ireland as a whole will be on its knees.

The level of footfall into retail business is through the floor because of social distancing . Queuing outside of a business isn't a sign of it being "brisk" , its a sign that they are snookered into implementing impractical and non sustainable measures that will ultimately cripple the economy and result is massive job losses.

I get that some are only reopened a number or weeks, followed by pubs and restaurants today. However give this current impass a few months and doors will close again not to be reopened.

Already where I work there has been 50 job losses and massive paycuts. We are back just weeks.

We need a long - extremely long hard think about how we approach the coming months because there is no coming back from whatever decisions are made.

• Advertisement

I know a lot of businesses are in the process of reopening for trading including the pubs.

However if there is a prolonged state of paralysis for these businesses like I've witnessed the last number of weeks, not only will they be fcuked but Ireland as a whole will be on its knees.

The level of footfall into retail business is through the floor because of social distancing . Queuing outside of a business isn't a sign of it being "brisk" , its a sign that they are snookered into implementing impractical and non sustainable measures that will ultimately cripple the economy and result is massive job losses.

I get that some are only reopened a number or weeks, followed by pubs and restaurants today. However give this current impass a few months and doors will close again not to be reopened.

Already where I work there has been 50 job losses and massive paycuts. We are back just weeks.

We need a long - extremely long hard think about how we approach the coming months because there is no coming back from whatever decisions are made.

'Ah sure look we be grand'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

The sooner the better. Had to bust a gut to get to the offie by 10 pm. Hopefully we get 1:30 to 2:30 am closing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Anyone else had any pints yet ?
    Did you just walk in off the street ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I know in our trade our retail business experienced a big rush when it reopened but its gone back down to our lowest weeks pre-covid. I don't think retail is doing good at all but it will take longer for the effects of this to show. Rents are still the same, overheads are still the same with reduced turnover many retailers are on borrowed time. If 2m distancing is still been implemented during the christmas period, that will be the end of retail. So many retailers are pulling the majority of their annual turnover out of those 3 months. Consumers will just buy online than wait outside queuing in the harsh winter weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Anyone else had any pints yet ?
    Did you just walk in off the street ?

I was in 2 pubs yesterday. Didn't have to order food and was in both for well over 3 hours each. The first one (in Tallaght) was packed when I left and the second one (Harold's Cross) was fairly busy

I was in 2 pubs yesterday. Didn't have to order food and was in both for well over 3 hours each. The first one (in Tallaght) was packed when I left and the second one (Harold's Cross) was fairly busy

haha good man you must have sank a few !
    I'm tempted to go to harolds cross or rathmines myself tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

haha good man you must have sank a few !
    I'm tempted to go to harolds cross or rathmines myself tonight

Theres only one open in Harold's Cross, Peggy's is opening tomorrow. Not sure about Rathmines.
    You're right as well, I had a right few pints and was poured out of the park inn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Went to my local yesterday for two hours.Got food and a few pints.No real difference only no sitting at the bar and contactless payment.It's a well run place anyway.

i went to the galway hooker at lunch in Heuston station, can only have a pint with food so i just walked out !
    Plenty enough eating in a guinness

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

i went to the galway hooker at lunch
    I thought they would have been one of the last trades to open, in & out within 15mins I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

rubadub wrote:
    I thought they would have been one of the last trades to open, in & out within 15mins I suppose.

If you do it twice.

rubadub wrote: »

i had PPE :)

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭alanzo27

One of the local pubs in my area are literally offering two dishes on their 'menu' and are only charging €2 per meal. Walk ins are welcome subject to bookings and capacity.

From what I've heard the social distancing measures inside are above and beyond what's expected, although patrons were in there for well over 105 minutes. Apparently there were a few individuals who had one too many yesterday, but they were swiftly removed from the premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

2 pubs in my village. Both were busy pre-lockdown. Pub A does a pizza menu, Pub B does not have a food menu

Pub A remained closed yesterday

Pub B opened and there seemed to be a big crowd in it come late evening. Guards came from local town, looked in door and left again.

I texted a friend of mine who was in it and asked him what was the setup - his reply was “no rules apply”.

I'm shy and won't go into somewhere where they will be looking at me like I have 2 heads

So much easier when you could just go in and order a pint, sit there and mind your own business

Just walked into a pub in Harold’s cross, have to order a toast special to abide by laws but apart from that’s its drink as much as you like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Just walked into a pub in Harold’s cross, have to order a toast special to abide by laws but apart from that’s its drink as much as you like

At least you are getting your steps in today.,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

I'm shy and won't go into somewhere where they will be looking at me like I have 2 heads

So much easier when you could just go in and order a pint, sit there and mind your own business

I think you might be alright, sounds like people are just popping in, grab a quiet table for yourself and enjoy a couple of pints!

Also I'd chance it sooner than later as this might not last long :)

I hear you, but honestly it’s not like that here in a normally busy pub in Dublin, in fact it’s near empty, and who’s here are deliriously happy just to be having a quiet pint

• Advertisement

I hear you, but honestly it’s not like that here in a normally busy pub in Dublin, in fact it’s near empty, and who’s here are deliriously happy just to be having a quiet pint

might try somewhere im my city the weekend

Can see an extremely busy weekend for places

Advertisement