Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIX-85,394 ROI(2,200 deaths) 62,723 NI (1,240 deaths) (26/12) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

pjohnson wrote: »
    Its feckin cultlike. Nothing will change their mind and thats that. Actual facts and reality be damned.

This is the same way I would describe Tony, Martin, and the entire media who propogated and supported the narrative that somehow unlike the rest of the world, Irish shools cannot spread the virus and must stay open.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

If Americans had antibdoies in December why is it even assumed Wuhan is the place of origin of the disease any longer? By now the only sure thing is that it was the first place to have a large outbreak. Mad to think how little all the dramatic border closures worldwide in March did to stop the spread, it was already everywhere, the lockdowns just stamped out spread, giving an illusion that the border closure stopped 'it' getting in

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

I know 12 adults affected from an outbreak in a primary school 16km South of Kilkenny city.

One of these adults also passed it onto ten work colleagues as well.

Its the cause of the spiralling cases. The schools are lethal as there asymptomatic.

That explains Kilkenny disaster, School in the north plus school in the south. A meat factory would be neater

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I know 12 adults affected from an outbreak in a primary school 16km South of Kilkenny city.

Its the cause of the spiralling cases. The schools are lethal as there asymptomatic.

Oxymoron :D

one year and one day
    21ish to mid Winter

Fúck ít anyway. Vietnam's second big streak broken.

Everyone identified as a contact will be put into quarantine facilities so hopefully it will be contained ok.

800 F1 tracked. 737 negative tests and 2 positive tests so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mark1916

https://t.co/X6S4ED2XWN

Covid-19 vaccine from Pfizer/BioNTech has been approved by Britain's Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) and is expected to be made available from next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

bb1234567 wrote: »
    If Americans had antibdoies in December why is it even assumed Wuhan is the place of origin of the disease any longer? By now the only sure thing is that it was the first place to have a large outbreak. Mad to think how little all the dramatic border closures worldwide in March did to stop the spread, it was already everywhere, the lockdowns just stamped out spread, giving an illusion that the border closure stopped 'it' getting in

Given how infectious it is, it is very very likely that the location of the first large outbreak would also be the location of the first case.

Yes it is possible that patient zero picked it up from a "insert animal here" in "insert country here" and travelled to Wuhan while not infectious, just not probable.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    We have a virus which kills people, we have long covid. Any concerns about the potential for longer term consequences from this thing?

I think in your rush to write off anyone who disagrees with you as a Covid denier, you completely missed the point of my post which was a sarcastic response lampooning the suggestion that NPHET or another “they” are looking for bogus excuses to impose restrictions

frank8211 wrote: »
    That explains Kilkenny disaster, School in the north plus school in the south. A meat factory would be neater

You want to get on to the WHO and let them know the virus spontaneously emerges out of schools rather than passing from setting to setting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Early Christmas present.

BBC News - Covid Pfizer vaccine approved for use next week in UK
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55145696

Kids are no more likely to be a symptomatic than adults under 60 if they catch the virus. No matter how many times this is stated on boards as being fact it’s not true. Just the feeble excuses of those who don’t like the inconvenient fact that the are proportionally less cases in kids relative to population even though they are in school every day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Early Christmas present.

BBC News - Covid Pfizer vaccine approved for use next week in UK
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55145696

That was quick. EU need to move faster with their approval, 29th December seems a long way off!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

That was quick. EU need to move faster with their approval, 29th December seems a long way off!

Welcome news if it all works out and the efficacy stands, EU being more cautious which I agree with bit more time to study the source materials and outcomes and get it right.

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

shinzon wrote: »
    Welcome news if it all works out and the efficacy stands, EU being more cautious which I agree with bit more time to study the source materials and outcomes and get it right.

Shin

Maybe. But I think there’s absolutely no chance the EU won’t approve it. So, it does feel like a month wasted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Pfizer only applied for eu approval yesterday.

I think they applied to the brits sooner.

I'd prefer the EU is cautious even if only to deny the anti vax a stick to beat the process with.

I believe quantities in 2020 are piddling anyway. We'll get a better start in January 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

bb1234567 wrote: »

China has refused to share much at all about covid19, so it's difficult to trace the origin when countries don't cooperate. it could well have originated elsewhere, but mutated when it got to china to turn into what we have today, and then again it may have originated in china sooner. i remember reading that satellite imagery from china last august showed huge increase in cars at wuhan hospitals, so who knows. without cooperation from China, we cant know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,040 ✭✭✭prunudo

Having watched the UK's government's handling of both Covid19 and Brexit over the last couple of years, all I see this morning is spin and bluster from the usual suspects.
    While its good news that its getting approved (albeit rushed in my view), I wouldn't trust them to not **** up the roll out programme. Come January they'll be back pedaling and question dodging like they always do.

• Advertisement

prunudo wrote: »
    Having watched the UK's government's handling of both Covid19 and Brexit over the last couple of years, all I see this morning is spin and bluster from the usual suspects.
    While its good news that its getting approved (albeit rushed in my view), I wouldn't trust them to not **** up the roll out programme. Come January they'll be back pedaling and question dodging like they always do.

The MHRA in the UK and the European Medicines Agency would be quite aligned on requirements, so much so that the EMA was based in London pre Brexit as the British system would have been seen as best in class, so would not necessarily judge it to have been rushed by the UK authorities

• Registered Users Posts: 7,040 ✭✭✭prunudo

The MHRA in the UK and the European Medicines Agency would be quite aligned on requirements, so much so that the EMA was based in London pre Brexit as the British system would have been seen as best in class, so would not necessarily judge it to have been rushed by the UK authorities

To use that often coined term 'its all about the optics'. It seems, to me, that they have been falling over themselves to get it approved and rolled out first. Their handling of the pandemic hasn't been great and they still have large daily numbers. Hannock, Gove etc are masters of defection and I don't doubt they'll be doing the same on this in the new year.

prunudo wrote: »
    To use that often coined term 'its all about the optics'. It seems, to me, that they have been falling over themselves to get it approved and rolled out first. Their handling of the pandemic hasn't been great and they still have large daily numbers. Hannock, Gove etc are masters of defection and I don't doubt they'll be doing the same on this in the new year.

It may simply be that this is the benefit of Brexit - only one national body not 27 to be consulted. The cost may well be when the EU buying power results in a faster rollout after approval.

We often overestimate the power of politicians

• Registered Users Posts: 11,632 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Massive and iconic news from the UK this morning. The beginning of the end - happy Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Massive and iconic news from the UK this morning. The beginning of the end - happy Wednesday.

I really don't think this can be understated tbh. All the talks of vaccines, kicking off trials results from manufacturers, etc, all important milestones and positive, but I really think today's news of "approval for widespread use" is the official beginning of the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

It's a very important milestone. We do however need to manage people's expectations. Social distancing will still be a requirement for some considerable time to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Turtwig wrote: »
    It's a very important milestone. We do however need to manage people's expectations. Social distancing will still be a requirement for some considerable time to come.

I know this is completely sensible but its still a bit agitating, its like any day of good news there's somebody just waiting to bring a bit of negativity into the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Great news, hopefully we follow in the next couple of days.

Would those who are so anti-lockdown be in favour of going back into lockdown, with an end in sight, until all our vulnerable citizens have been inoculated or at least offered same?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

eagle eye wrote: »
    Great news, hopefully we follow in the next couple of days.

Would those who are so anti-lockdown be in favour of going back into lockdown, with an end in sight, until all our vulnerable citizens have been inoculated or at least offered same?

We won't, EMA due to give their verdict by end of month with EU deliveries early January once EMA give the go ahead.

As for the second part, no because your essentially looking for a lockdown for the next 4 months if not more and that just isn't a runner

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

AdamD wrote: »
    I know this is completely sensible but its still a bit agitating, its like any day of good news there's somebody just waiting to bring a bit of negativity into the discussion.

Just the same as we have people cheering time for parties anytime theres good news.

Let's all calm down a bit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement