Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIX-85,394 ROI(2,200 deaths) 62,723 NI (1,240 deaths) (26/12) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

schmoo2k wrote: »
    https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-circulating-in-italy-as-early-as-september-2019-scientists-claim-12133825

Given Wuhan and Lombardy were the two initial large outbreaks Lombardy would be my first choice alternative to Wuhan.
    Finally before I move this to the conspiracy thread - I would like to point out that they farm Mink in Lombardy!!!
    I wasnt thinking that far far away but of two other cities in the presumed country of origin but will check their stats and official data also. Thanks though.
    Those poor mink and also the bats who I really think are cute they are really having a hard time of it... no conspiracy there. :)

Edit btw all of the above links re origins are from official data and the cnn article was checked by forensic computer scientists and the data by infectious disease experts etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

A tad disappointing:

333 positive swabs on 11,788 swabs. 2.82% positive.

7 day positivity still at 2.7%.

Yes disappointing especially with a bit of a backlog out there

Wednesday is usually the day for high figures as well

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Yes disappointing especially with a bit of a backlog out there

Wednesday is usually the day for high figures as well

It is less positive swabs and a lower positive rate than last Wednesday

Fair point just would like to see things falling a bit more

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Wednesday is always the worst day, not surprising in the slightest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

A tad disappointing:

Should just do 4,000 tests a day, prob get us below the magic 100. Bastards doing too much testing

More than one way to skin a cat n all dat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

A tad disappointing:

Not a surprise that 2,021 more tests than yesterday has produced 134 more positive swabs. Maybe this will be one of those days that they don't add backlog cases to the reported case number.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Very poor numbers in the North. Better news is that 7 vaccination centres will open their next week

https://twitter.com/vincekearney/status/1334136634321870849

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Roots 2020

A tad disappointing:

No disrespect to yourself but that word 'tad' is becoming more common and I have an irrational disdain for it. Ever since Gerry Ryan told a country to go a 'tad' slower giving their votes in Eurovision 1994 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Hells Belles

eagle eye wrote: »
    I haven't heard one person I know complain about their finances. I know a lot of people from all sectors. Maybe there are some and they are not talking about it but I haven't heard of anybody in bad shape.

So that means it's not happening then does it? My OH works for a company who supplies pubs and restaurants. He was laid off 3 months ago as the company can't afford to pay the staff anymore. One of the employees in his 50's died of Covid in March also. A family member picked up Covid in a well known hospital in Dublin having been admitted for an unrelated illness. We live in a nice house in a lovely part of Dublin and nobody would guess how much we are struggling. To be honest, we are on the verge of losing it all. And if it doesn't happen financially, it will happen mentally. Keep that head in the sand though won't you?!! As long as you don't know anyone who has been affected, it can't be happening eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Flying is not high risk says ECDC, in relation to COVID. Anthony Staines vigorously disagrees!
    Based on the latest scientific evidence and information, the document’s conclusions reflect the fact that the prevalence of the new coronavirus among travellers is estimated to be lower than is the case for the general population. In addition, the measures in place in aviation minimise the possibility of transmission during air travel.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/air-travel-should-not-be-considered-high-risk-for-spreading-covid-19-ecdc-1.4425595

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

is_that_so wrote: »
    Flying is not high risk says ECDC, in relation to COVID. Anthony Staines vigorously disagrees!

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/air-travel-should-not-be-considered-high-risk-for-spreading-covid-19-ecdc-1.4425595

I just don't understand this.

Yes, airplanes are airconditioned, and that air is cleaned before it is recirculated.

But think of that little air vent above you head. Say you are at the highly contagious, but non-symptomatic, stage of your infection. Every time you breath out that air vent circulates your breath to the eight people sitting beside, in front, and behind you on the plane. Those virus particles are inhaled well before the infected air is sucked back up, cleansed, and recirculated. Now imagine that going on for an hour, or three or four.

I would say an airplane is exactly where you might pick up an infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

is_that_so wrote: »

Gives you an illustration of the level of self importance these people put on themselves and their “opinions”- Staines now knows more than the whole of the ECDC put together apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 85,240 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

JDD wrote: »

Yes, airplanes are airconditioned, and that air is cleaned before it is recirculated.

But think of that little air vent above you head. Say you are at the highly contagious, but non-symptomatic, stage of your infection. Every time you breath out that air vent circulates your breath to the eight people sitting beside, in front, and behind you on the plane. Those virus particles are inhaled well before the infected air is sucked back up, cleansed, and recirculated. Now imagine that going on for an hour, or three or four.

Just going on Ryanair's numbers for last month they flew 2 million passengers yet I can't find any articles recently mentioning multiple outbreaks. Not picking a row but can you provide some evidence to back up your contention other than 'imagine'.

JDD wrote: »

The mask restrictions on the plane and now testing regimes at both ends will mitigate that. When we had "huge" numbers flying in, in the summer they accounted for about 3% of cases. The vast majority of cases are other behaviours.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Eivor

Do you agree with charging nurses 100 euro for the privilege to work,bearing in mind that they pay this annually without issue but with the year we have experienced it should have been waved

Calm down. All healthcare workers have to pay registration fees. You are lucky it's only a 100 euro. I pay a lot more.

Eivor wrote: »
    Only took them 10 months

Indeed.

They've had two arguments against it.

-capacity, now solved
    -usefulness in terms of other cases they would find. I think they ran a couple of pilots that looked back more than 2-3 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

If anyone interested Cluster report for week 48

week-48.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

So usually we get Christmas coke trucks, this year we're getting Christmas covid trucks. Good to see, hopefully they'll roll out soon and we can all get tge jab and get on with living our lives

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

spookwoman wrote: »
    If anyone interested Cluster report for week 48

week-48.jpg

I know everyone talks about the nursing homes but residential instotutions got hit very hard from that data. They get forgotten about more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Schools 2 weeks reports Week 47 and 48
    #VALUE is due to formulas not linking <5

week-48-p1.jpg
    week-48-p2.jpg
    week-48-p3.jpg
    week-48-p4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,826 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

270 cases 5 deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

paulie21 wrote: »
    270 cases 5 deaths

Big enough back log building

There's one of two things going on:
    1) There is no backlog and it's simply retests
    2) one of these days we're gonna have a pretty big number

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

There's one of two things going on:
    1) There is no backlog and it's simply retests
    2) one of these days we're gonna have a pretty big number

or

3) no one understands how they decide on daily case figures

• Advertisement

58 cases are in Dublin, 38 in Donegal, 28 in Wicklow, 25 in Mayo, 24 in Limerick, and the remaining 97 cases are spread across 21 other counties

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement