Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭shanehillview

Worth reading:

294.jpgMaureen O'Sullivan (Dublin Central, Independent) Question 73: To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality when Garda recruitment will be resumed; the numbers of community gardaí in Dublin central in 2010 and currently in the following stations, Store Street, Mountjoy Street, Fitzgibbon Street, Bridewell and Cabra; the current numbers in the Garda Reserve Force; his plans for further recruitment of same; and the number of garda at all levels who have retired in 2009, 2010 and to date in 2011. [7106/11]

6.jpgAlan Shatter (Minister, Department of Justice, Equality and Defence; Dublin South, Fine Gael) A decision on when Garda recruitment will re-commence will take into account the rate of retirement in the Garda Síochána and Government targets for reductions in public service numbers.
    I am informed by the Garda authorities that on 31 December 2010 the number of dedicated Community Gardaí attached to Dublin’s North and South Central Garda Division’s was 159 and 96 respectively.
    I am further informed that, as of the latest date for which figures are readily available, the number of Gardaí currently assigned to Community policing in the specific Garda stations referred to by the Deputy, was as set out as follows.
    Store St.MountjoyFitzgibbon StreetBridewellCabra782321298The personnel strength of the Garda Reserve, on the latest date for which figures are readily available, was 773 with a further 104 in training. The number of retirements, both voluntary and compulsory, by rank in 2009 and 2010 and the number to-date in 2011 who have either retired or declared their intention to retire, is as set out as follows.
    Rank200920102011Commissioner-1-Deputy Commissioner---Assistant Commissioner32-Chief Superintendent143-Superintendent26144Inspector2984Sergeant1779521Garda43723945TOTAL72236274

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭shanehillview

More awful news :mad::mad::mad:: New Govt same rubbish.

3:00 pm

67.jpgNiall Collins (Limerick, Fianna Fail) Link to this Question 4: To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality the steps he is taking to ensure no reduction in garda numbers and his plans on garda recruitment in 2011 [7165/11]

Add your comment

6.jpgAlan Shatter (Minister, Department of Justice, Equality and Defence; Dublin South, Fine Gael) Link to this I do not want to upset the Deputy on our first Question Time.

Add your comment

67.jpgNiall Collins (Limerick, Fianna Fail) Link to this Not before we even start.

Add your comment

6.jpgAlan Shatter (Minister, Department of Justice, Equality and Defence; Dublin South, Fine Gael) Link to this I congratulate him and wish him well in his position as my opposite number.

Add your comment

67.jpgNiall Collins (Limerick, Fianna Fail) Link to this That is only this week.

Add your comment

6.jpgAlan Shatter (Minister, Department of Justice, Equality and Defence; Dublin South, Fine Gael) Link to this This is a rather odd question and is what would be termed, in the lexicon of the United States and a language with which my father is familiar - Yiddish - as one of the best examples of chutzpah I can find. It is difficult to take the Deputy’s question seriously as the previous Government, led by the Deputy’s party, in its National Recovery Plan 2011–2014 published late last year, required Garda strength to be reduced from its then level of around 14,500 to 13,000 by the end of 2014 as part of a general reduction in public service numbers. That was part and parcel of the EU and IMF framework plan which the previous Government signed up to. Moreover, the plan prescribed a reduction from 14,500 to 13,500 by 31 December 2011 without the plan, or any subsequent initiative, by the outgoing Government detailing proposed steps to effect such a reduction. Effectively, it envisaged a reduction of the Garda force by 1,000 in the space of 12 months without explaining how that would be achieved. There was no initiative taken by the outgoing Government to facilitate this achievement.
    This Government has its own overall target for a reduction in public service numbers, as set out in the programme for national recovery, and I will be discussing with the Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform and my other Cabinet colleagues the details of how this will be applied across the various parts of the public service. The outcome of this discussion and the rate of Garda retirements, which has fluctuated significantly in recent years, will determine when Garda recruitment will recommence. It will also determine the manner in which the objectives set by the Deputy’s party, when in Government, of reducing the numbers of gardaí by 1,000 may be achieved.
    There is no getting away from the reality that public expenditure and public service numbers must be reduced but I am determined, as are all my Cabinet colleagues, that this will be accompanied by real and substantive reform that will make the delivery of public services more efficient and cost effective. Our programme for national recovery recognises that a key objective of this reform is the protection of front-line services, and I regard that as a priority for Garda reform. I am very anxious to ensure that if numbers are reduced, the current services are maintained.

Add your comment

67.jpgNiall Collins (Limerick, Fianna Fail) Link to this I thank the Minister for his reply and opening comments. I am shadowing the Minister for this week at least but next week may bring something else for me. We must wait and see. I recognise what was contained in the four year programme published prior to the election. The Government parties gave a commitment in the programme for Government to retain a strong and efficient police force and at the same time there has been an indication that it is intended to reduce public service numbers by 25,000. Is the Government committed to reducing the Garda force by 1,000 over the course of the Government’s term as outlined in the programme for Government?
    With regard to Garda recruitment and training and balancing the reduction in numbers and retirements, when will the next intake of trainees be taken into Templemore? People have applied to join the force and been vetted but they have been put into a holding cell, so to speak. They are ready to be brought to Templemore to train. When will the next batch be brought in and will the Minister confirm his intention to reduce the number in the force by 1,000?

Add your comment

6.jpgAlan Shatter (Minister, Department of Justice, Equality and Defence; Dublin South, Fine Gael) Link to this The Deputy correctly states that the programme for Government commits to a strong and efficient police force and it is our commitment to maintain such a force. With regard to numbers we are considering the implications of the EU and IMF agreement and I have an obligation in my Department to meet the financial estimates and not to over-reach in that regard. The Garda Commissioner must also meet his financial targets. I cannot say at this stage exactly what the position will be with Garda numbers at the end of this year. As it stands, there is an obligation to effect the reduction which the Deputy’s party committed this State to in the agreement with the EU and IMF.
    With regard to recruitment issues, in February last year the former Minister, Dermot Ahern, advertised for Garda recruits and by June there were 400 on a potential panel to go to Templemore. Without making an announcement, the former Minister put all 400 into cold storage. Where there is a commitment to reduce Garda numbers and the finances of the State are constrained, I cannot at this stage indicate when new recruitment might take place other than to indicate that I am anxious that there would be an influx of new young people into the Garda force over a period. I do not see any likelihood of new recruitment during 2011. Beyond that all I can say is the matter is under review.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Kiddd94

Im currently in 5th year and i want to join the guards when im finished the leaving . What website offers info ?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gardapa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Kiddd94 wrote: »
    Im currently in 5th year and i want to join the guards when im finished the leaving . What website offers info ?

This one. There is a wealth of information on here if you have a good read through. Start with the FAQ Thread and then Garda Recruitment Help which will also help direct you to the appropriate thread to post any further questions you may have.

Bear in mind there is a moratorium in place which means you may not get a chance to apply for a few years yet.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 iarmhii

"Bear in mind there is a moratorium in place which means you may not get a chance to apply for a few years yet " ,

Blue Belle ' , i know theres no concrete evidence much at all but have you any idea at all how long it will be before recruitment takes place again ? Could it be as far away as 4 years or more and will the force have to be reduced significantly in the next couple of years ? At present it looks very bleak with no sign of any movement and it appears huge cutbacks will be the way of things for a number of years. .

iarmhii wrote: »
    "Bear in mind there is a moratorium in place which means you may not get a chance to apply for a few years yet " ,

Blue Belle ' , i know theres no concrete evidence much at all but have you any idea at all how long it will be before recruitment takes place again ? Could it be as far away as 4 years or more and will the force have to be reduced significantly in the next couple of years ? At present it looks very bleak with no sign of any movement and it appears huge cutbacks will be the way of things for a number of years. .

I've no idea I'm afraid. Nobody does. It is probably going to depend on rate of retirements and natural wastage, as the Government want to get the number of Gardai down to 13,000. When the number falls down to that they will probably try to maintain numbers at that level by drafting in some of those on the panel and then starting a new campaign to form a new panel from which to recruit in subsequent intakes.

On the bright side, retiring seems to be very popular among Gardai who are eligible at the moment, due to the possibility of their pensions being hit and their lump sum being taxed. So it may be sooner than later. But then again this is all speculation.

If you want some solid fact, there has been no recruitment (ie intake to Templemore) of new recruits for 2 years now. Since May '09. There has been no new recruitment drive (acceptance of applications) for 3 years now. Since May '08. Could they leave it another 4 years? I don't know. I highly doubt it. But then again I never thought they'd leave it this long. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cdaly123

hey guys anyone know if they are recruiting at present, and if so how do I go about applying. Cheers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

cdaly123 wrote: »
    hey guys anyone know if they are recruiting at present, and if so how do I go about applying. Cheers
    Before you post again on this forum, please read the Frequently Asked Questions thread here. Your questions is answered in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 zerocoolio

As someone who is bursting to get into AGS but is going up the walls with all the waiting due to the recruitment embargo, I have a great deal of sympathy with alot of posters in this forum.
    This is without a doubt the best place to get information on AGS recruitment so for anyone who is interested in joining forget www.garda.ie and www.publicjobs.ie - this is the only place you need to go. The volume of information here is amazing so read through the forum and you will find whatever it is youre looking for.
    The big problem is the embargo. Numbers will be reduced to 2006 levels - this is about 13,000. This will be acheived through natural wastage and no recruitment. I dont want to rain on anyones parade but this means that there will be NO recruitment for at least another 18 months if not longer.
    Also, knowing what I know about how the public sector works, those on panels may have to re-apply as panels do expire, usually after 5 years. The last drive was in 2008.If recruitment happens late 2012 or early 2013 you might just get in but I would prepare for the worst case.
    For those considering hanging about waiting for recruitment to begin can I offer one piece of advice - dont wait about. If you can, get to university or travel or do something. Any experience you can get will help you when it comes to AGS applications, interviews and in the job. I moved to London in 2009 and am having the time of my life.
    Like I said, I know how frustrating it can be - my time is a bit shorter as Im in my 30's and I will have to make a decision very soon as to whether I should shelf this idea/dream altogether. But the embargo cannot last forever. Numbers will have to come up because the simple fact is that its never been a better time to be involved in criminality in Ireland. The force is stretched to breaking point and will not be able to function without recruitment at some point. So stay out of trouble and in good shape and the day will come (hopefully sooner as opposed to later) when AGS are looking for new recruits.
    Finally big thanks to Blue Belle and PSNI for this thread. Like I mentioned this is the only place you need to go to learn about AGS recruitment.
    OK rant is over.

• Advertisement

zerocoolio wrote: »
    As someone who is bursting to get into AGS but is going up the walls with all the waiting due to the recruitment embargo, I have a great deal of sympathy with alot of posters in this forum.
    This is without a doubt the best place to get information on AGS recruitment so for anyone who is interested in joining forget www.garda.ie and www.publicjobs.ie - this is the only place you need to go. The volume of information here is amazing so read through the forum and you will find whatever it is youre looking for.
    The big problem is the embargo. Numbers will be reduced to 2006 levels - this is about 13,000. This will be acheived through natural wastage and no recruitment. I dont want to rain on anyones parade but this means that there will be NO recruitment for at least another 18 months if not longer.
    Also, knowing what I know about how the public sector works, those on panels may have to re-apply as panels do expire, usually after 5 years. The last drive was in 2008.If recruitment happens late 2012 or early 2013 you might just get in but I would prepare for the worst case.
    For those considering hanging about waiting for recruitment to begin can I offer one piece of advice - dont wait about. If you can, get to university or travel or do something. Any experience you can get will help you when it comes to AGS applications, interviews and in the job. I moved to London in 2009 and am having the time of my life.
    Like I said, I know how frustrating it can be - my time is a bit shorter as Im in my 30's and I will have to make a decision very soon as to whether I should shelf this idea/dream altogether. But the embargo cannot last forever. Numbers will have to come up because the simple fact is that its never been a better time to be involved in criminality in Ireland. The force is stretched to breaking point and will not be able to function without recruitment at some point. So stay out of trouble and in good shape and the day will come (hopefully sooner as opposed to later) when AGS are looking for new recruits.
    Finally big thanks to Blue Belle and PSNI for this thread. Like I mentioned this is the only place you need to go to learn about AGS recruitment.
    OK rant is over.

Welcome aboard zerocoolio, your positivity is very welcome here. Psni is the man to thank for this place however, I'm just a blow-in ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭we3gkfu6qit95s

hey folks
    does anybody know if u can mix an match leaving cert results in order to qualify applying for the full time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

If you re-sat one specific exam I think you could but if you re did the entire cert then I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ghost86

Can someone please advise me on this topic.

I am going to try to meet all of the recommendations before recruitment starts again i.e. safe pass, manual handling, swimming etc. However, I am not sure what kind of swimming qualification AGS is looking for. I can swim but I have no qualifications. What are the various qualifications available out there and are these relavent to what AGS recommends you have?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

ghost86 wrote: »
    Can someone please advise me on this topic.

I am going to try to meet all of the recommendations before recruitment starts again i.e. safe pass, manual handling, swimming etc. However, I am not sure what kind of swimming qualification AGS is looking for. I can swim but I have no qualifications. What are the various qualifications available out there and are these relavent to what AGS recommends you have?:confused:

i wonder would your PADI open water level 1 scuba diving cert be sufficient?

surely if you can scuba dive, it proves you can swim!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

How much is a newly qualified garda making right now?Im in college at the moment and alway had joining the gardai in mind.It wouldnt be solely for the salary Id be joining for though,I think its a very respectable profession where you are doing a good deed for your fellow citizens and country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Ruairi88

€24,550 this is on attestation and you also receive an annual "rent" allowance of €4,162 bare in mind that you can take 10% off your starting off pay as this is a new recommendation set out for all new members entering the public sector. I'm giving you a link to the GRA it has all the pay scales set out on the website.

http://www.gra.cc/pay__scales_budget_2010.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

Ruairi88 wrote: »
    €24,550 this is on attestation and you also receive an annual "rent" allowance of €4,162 bare in mind that you can take 10% off your starting off pay as this is a new recommendation set out for all new members entering the public sector. I'm giving you a link to the GRA it has all the pay scales set out on the website.

http://www.gra.cc/pay__scales_budget_2010.shtml
    What is rent allowance?Why do they get it?Also when is this 10% reduction coming in?

What is rent allowance?Why do they get it?Also when is this 10% reduction coming in?

It's in the title..."Rent Allowance" is paid to all Garda personell. The 10% reduction is in all ready. The reason? well were Broke and we don't want to pay future Gardai what they deserve. GRA.ie Garda.ie they answer all your future questions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 USERNAME24

I wouldn't be surprised if there is further cuts in the future to pay and allowances.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

USERNAME24 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if there is further cuts in the future to pay and allowances.:mad:

thats highly anticipated and widely accepted as a sure thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Does that salary figure incorporate over time and Sunday allowances etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 USERNAME24

Has anyone any thoughts on when next recruitment campaign will be?
    Given that they have to reduce force by 1500 and there's a established panel of 400 are we looking at a wait of another couple of years.After reducing force by 1500 its unlikely that they will recruit say 400 from a new campaign along with existing 400 totalling 800people.
    I cant see AGS reducing force by 1500 and at the same time increasing it by 800 in the next couple of years,hope I am wrong!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭C-J

USERNAME24 wrote: »
    Has anyone any thoughts on when next recruitment campaign will be?
    Given that they have to reduce force by 1500 and there's a established panel of 400 are we looking at a wait of another couple of years.After reducing force by 1500 its unlikely that they will recruit say 400 from a new campaign along with existing 400 totalling 800 people.I cant see AGS reducing force by 1500 and at the same time increasing it by 800 in the next couple of years,hope I am wrong!!

bear in mind that those retiring are on a much higher wage than student gardai and newly qualified gardai. Even by factoring in their lump sum retirement gratuity and pension, there is still a significant saving to be made by a reduction of 1500. Factor in the fact that the cost of running Templemore at the moment is minimal, as regards no catering staff, civilian staff, other staff being transferred elsewhere, even stuff like less electricity being used, no uniforms, etc are saving money. All of which is good news for us

• Registered Users Posts: 22 iarmhii

Hi All

Just wondering what people make of the recent comments by the Justice Minister Alan Shatter regarding the recruitment situation . I suppose i doesn't tell people a whole more than they already knew , that recuitment will not take place for some time. It appears that there will not be graduates for 3 years approx but when pressed today the Minister said that he hoped recruitment would commence in 18 months time. I know this is stil a long time away but would be better than having to wait 2-3 years more to apply. What is the feeling on this , can the Minister be trusted at all , is 18 months wishful thinking ? It is a while away but wouldn't be a complete disaster to have to wait until then, but big danger is that this time frame could be changed in near future depending on circumstances. (IMF/ Economic situation)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭spudz21

iarmhii wrote: »
    Hi All

Just wondering what people make of the recent comments by the Justice Minister Alan Shatter regarding the recruitment situation . I suppose i doesn't tell people a whole more than they already knew , that recuitment will not take place for some time. It appears that there will not be graduates for 3 years approx but when pressed today the Minister said that he hoped recruitment would commence in 18 months time. I know this is stil a long time away but would be better than having to wait 2-3 years more to apply. What is the feeling on this , can the Minister be trusted at all , is 18 months wishful thinking ? It is a while away but wouldn't be a complete disaster to have to wait until then, but big danger is that this time frame could be changed in near future depending on circumstances. (IMF/ Economic situation)

The way I see it, there is no point speculating, whenever it happens,it happens!

These forums are great for information and support, but I don't pay much heed to the rumours or speculating! It won't be until I've booked a place for the aptitude that I'll believe that recruitment has begun again:)

In the meantime, its more waiting and waiting, I'm fortunate that I'm still young enough and have a decent job to keep me going in the interim! The virtue of patience:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Well I have done a HONS DEGREE and am going to start a MASTERS , this all while I have been waiting around for the next drive. If people are waiting around in jobs and not up skilling be prepared i reckon :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

At least they are saying now only eighteen months for new recruits.

Even though i think the TDS should have their pay cut to fund the Garda and emergency services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

I see on the GS facebook site that 126 people graduated from Templemore yesterday. Wonder how long before the next graduates appear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Bearing in mind the 2 year training programme I would be surprised if there was a Graduation anytime in the next 4 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

gone fierce quite........hello?!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,610 ✭✭✭eigrod

http://www.taoiseach.irlgov.ie/eng/Government_Press_Office/Government_Press_Releases_20111/Statement_by_the_Government_and_the_Public_Service_Committee_of_the_Irish_Congress_of_Trade_Unions.html
    Statement by the Government and the Public Service Committee of the Irish Congress of Trade Unions
    Wednesday, 20th July 2011

In light of progress made in the first year of implementation of the Public Service Agreement 2010 - 2014, the Government can reaffirm its commitments under the Agreement that there will be no further reductions in pay rates for serving public servants and on the non-application of compulsory redundancy (save where existing exit provisions apply).

These commitments are conditional on the ongoing delivery of the flexibilities set out under the Agreement, in particular those relating to cooperation with reduction in numbers, redeployment, cost containment and changes to work practices to improve productivity and maintain public services. The parties also note the need to create a climate to support the recovery in the wider economy, including through the proposals in the Government's Jobs Initiative, and reaffirm their commitment to working together to deliver sustainable economic growth.

The parties note that the EU-IMF Programme of Financial Support for Ireland and the new Programme for Government 2011 contains additional and challenging targets in relation to public service paybill and numbers reductions. Following the outcome of the Comprehensive Review of Expenditure the parties will consult on delivery of any matters that are appropriate to be dealt with under the Agreement.

In light of the severe budgetary position, the Government is not in a position to address the effect on pay rates of the Financial Emergency Measures in the Public Interest Acts of 2009 and reducing the effect of the pension levy at this time.

The moratorium on recruitment and promotion must continue to apply and large scale recruitment to the public service will not feature. It is envisaged that after a period of operation the moratorium would be adapted to a procedure of setting overall targets and pay averages by public service organisation/sector, while ensuring the redeployment of surplus public servants as a priority. Following the outcome of the Comprehensive Review of Expenditure further consideration will be given to the optimum means of achieving numbers targets in each sector with the precise modalities for such a procedure developed in the context of each sector.

In line with the commitment given in the Agreement, adjudication findings that were outstanding at the time of the Agreement will be reviewed by the parties, having regard to the terms of the Agreement, the moratorium on recruitment and promotion and the terms of the Financial Emergency Measures in the Public Interest (No. 2) Act 2009.

The parties will continue to work together to maintain a stable industrial relations climate and to resolve disputes as early as possible and in line with the time bound commitments given in the Agreement.

Ends

Government Press Office
    press.office@taoiseach.gov.ie
    Ph: 01 6194098

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Dan1994

The AGS age limit is 35 at present and if recruitment starts in hopefully 3-4 years is even worth applying if you are say 34-35 any opionions apprehiated:eek:

Dan1994 wrote: »
    The AGS age limit is 35 at present and if recruitment starts in hopefully 3-4 years is even worth applying if you are say 34-35 any opionions apprehiated:eek:

Hi Dan,
    Please read through This Thread as it answers your question along with several others you may have.

In short, many people join AGS at that end of the age scale. Particularly with the Recruitment ban in place at the moment, many hopefuls have been placed on a panel or are simply sitting waiting to apply as the time ticks on, so there will be many people who are 2, 3, 4 years older going into Templemore than perhaps they would have liked to be.
    If you are within the age limit, then you are not too old to apply, simple as that.
    Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Dan1994

thanks for your reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Chusko

I know a new recruitment campaign is probably a number of years from now but when it does start up again,will there be a recruitment campaign once/twice a year,once every two years?Obviously no-one here knows but it would be nice to get peoples ideas.
    During the 'boom' years it was recruiting extra gardai now Im guessing it will be replacing retirements.300 retirements a year used to be the norm...it may depend on what retirements will be...with a young force after next year may not be many.
    Having said that if our economy improves might recruit more.
    I looked into PSNI recruitment some say they only plan to recruit few hundred next ten years but surely more here with a bigger population????

Chusko wrote: »
    I know a new recruitment campaign is probably a number of years from now but when it does start up again,will there be a recruitment campaign once/twice a year,once every two years?Obviously no-one here knows but it would be nice to get peoples ideas.
    During the 'boom' years it was recruiting extra gardai now Im guessing it will be replacing retirements.300 retirements a year used to be the norm...it may depend on what retirements will be...with a young force after next year may not be many.
    Having said that if our economy improves might recruit more.
    I looked into PSNI recruitment some say they only plan to recruit few hundred next ten years but surely more here with a bigger population????

Hi Chusko, welcome to the forum.
    First off, you seem to have answered your question yourself by pondering out loud.. :p
    You're right in that nobody actually knows what they're going to do once recruitment starts again.
    Accelerated recruitment is a thing of the past however, I think we can all agree on that so gone are the days of 4 large intakes a year.
    My guess is they will reach a number that they are happy with, somewhere around the 12,000 mark and sustain that. ie recruit to replace retirements etc.

Thanks for the reply and welcome Blue Belle,you are spot on,I was thinking out loud!Unfortunately,as you say accelerated recruitment isn't going to occur anytime soon.I hope though they will maintain numbers around the 13,000 mark because it will be a long time before they reach 12,000,thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 FutureGarda

I have wanted to be apart of the Gardai since I was very young. My uncle is one and I look up to him and I really want to do what he does. I am 15, in 3rd year and I have decent grades. I am a 2 time all-ireland champion at a sport and I am very atlethic. I was wondering, when I finish the leaving cert, should I join? I really want too. Will they be recruiting around that time? Should I go to college and get a degree first? Please answers my questions! I would love a response :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Hey FutureGarda, the general advice you'll find on here is to go to college and study something your interested in first (doesnt have to be garda/law related). You dont want to sign your life into AGS and then feel you missed out on the college experience. That been said, in the past, many have went straight from school into the Gardai and that suited them. To be honest though, Id say having a few extra years of life experience on your shoulders will stand to you in an application to join, be that from college, work or travelling etc.

Welcome to the forum, by the way. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 mark420

I have wanted to be apart of the Gardai since I was very young. My uncle is one and I look up to him and I really want to do what he does. I am 15, in 3rd year and I have decent grades. I am a 2 time all-ireland champion at a sport and I am very atlethic. I was wondering, when I finish the leaving cert, should I join? I really want too. Will they be recruiting around that time? Should I go to college and get a degree first? Please answers my questions! I would love a response :D
    As a member of An Garda Síochána I would strongly recommend that you take the 3rd level option, you can join when you finish, having the third level gives you a bit more experience before you join and it also lets you jump up a few pay increments after a short while in the job. :)

I read somewhere,must try and find link,that Alan Shatter has to find savings of 340 million from Department of Justice between now and end of four year plan so I presume he knows at this stage what he can allocate for recruitment between now and 2015...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

mark420 wrote: »
    As a member of An Garda Síochána I would strongly recommend that you take the 3rd level option, you can join when you finish, having the third level gives you a bit more experience before you join and it also lets you jump up a few pay increments after a short while in the job. :)

If I'm not mistaken those increments are now gone?

My simple advice would be... do what YOU want to do! :)

Don't do a college course if you don't have any interest in it. I didn't go on to third level, instead I pursued a part time degree course a year and a bit after I left school.

Unfortunately, everyone sees going to third level as the be all and end all. It isn't! But if you find a course you would like to do.. go for it! Personally I would see work experience as vital and much more important than third level. Why? The Gardai don't want people who spent 3-4 years just drinking in college.. they want people who have experience working in a team, solving problems, working shifts and making decisions. It is possible to go to college and work too, a great way to get the best of both worlds.

At 15 you have plenty of time on your side. I was in your shoes not so long ago.. posting here for info! :D In the next 3 years you could become proficient in first aid, CPR + Defibrillator as well getting ECDL and a lifeguarding under your belt. These things would be great for when you apply! I'm a Reserve Garda myself and I would highly recommend applying for this role when you turn 18 as it gives invaluable experience!

But the most important thing for you is to do what you want to do.. not what you think you should do!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mark420

eroo wrote: »
    If I'm not mistaken those increments are now gone?

My mate just got his increments a few months back, it could have changed alright, its all about saving the pennies now

mark420 wrote: »
    My mate just got his increments a few months back, it could have changed alright, its all about saving the pennies now

AFAIK for new recruits the increments are gone. Penny pinching is right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 FutureGarda

so their is no extra increments for guards who go to college?

Not anymore unfortunately.

eroo wrote: »
    Not anymore unfortunately.

Hi Eroo,

I was on to Garda Hq today over my Reserve Application. While I was on the phone I requested information in relation to the Increments (Salary Pay Scale) and if they were still in place for people who have completed a third level degree and hoping to join AGS.

The lady in the office CONFIRMED that there is still increments for such as mentioned above, However, she said this was subject to change.

Finally, and not having a go, but, you said and I quote "The Gardai don't want people who spent 3-4 years just drinking" that's prejudicial a lot of people who attend/attended college work their asses off and the prospect of drinking does not appeal to them. It didn't appeal to me anyway.What about the Social Care students who are out on placement from Jan-May? Working with Disabled people, working with children with intellectual disabilities/problems etc...I would encourage people to seek third level education I see it day in day out CV's coming into the office "Anyone without a third level education send it to the shredder. I think it is vital (if) you are ambitious and plan to excel. The ECDL, First Aid and been an efficient swimmer can all be learned on a "Part-time" basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Geansai

Just to clarify the National Recovery Plan stated

"Additional pay savings will be achieved through an immediate 10% reduction in the pay of all new entrants to the public service leading to a further sustainable reduction in public service pay costs over the medium term. In addition, all new entrants will start on the minimum point of the scale. "

Now, it could be argued that the minmum point in the scale is when you join Templemore so. Given you don't get the extra increment untila fter your pass out, then this may or may not be relevant.

One last thing to note is that any changes to pay and conditions, including increments and pensions, would only become effective when intakes are being taken into Templemore. Therefore saying "there is still increments for such as mentioned above" really doesn't confirm or deny whether they will be there when the next intake happens.

I suppose to sum it all up, It really will just be a case of waiting and seeing what happens. It could go either way.

Advertisement