Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 longtimer

Hi all. Just a couple of questions.

1) Where is the best place to keep checking for when recruitment will start?

2) What age were some of you when you joined the gardai?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

longtimer wrote: »
    Hi all. Just a couple of questions.

1) Where is the best place to keep checking for when recruitment will start?

2) What age were some of you when you joined the gardai?

Thanks in advance.

With reference to 1. register with www.publicjobs.ie and sign up to notifications for Garda Recruitment, should be under My Jobs Manager IIRC.

Wouldn't count on any recruitment for "a couple of years" according to my local Inspector the other week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭adrianjc20

How are things ? was it a new recruitment campaign or any intake at all that inspector was referring to ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

adrianjc20 wrote: »
    How are things ? was it a new recruitment campaign or any intake at all that inspector was referring to ?

No nothing specific, I just mentioned as part of the Reserves interview that I wanted to get into the full-time, and he said that they wouldn't be hiring for a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭jenny81

hi i have applied to join the reserves and hopefully if i get in and i love it as much as i think i will i hope to apply to join the garda full time when the nxt campaign comes up, im a single mother and ive been thinking about doing this for a long time now but dont want having a child to stop me, just wondering if anyone else out there has a child and wants to join the gs and is worried about juggling parenthood and templemore ect?

• Advertisement

Hi, I am a 35yr old male, wife 2 young kids. Decided to make a life change and chose the Gardai, always wanted to be one. I have all stages completed since April and cant wait to start. I know that it is going to be difficult for the 2 yrs, but if it is something you really want you have to make sacrafices. Would be more difficult in your situation, but if you have the backup of family, then take advantage , you will have yourself setup for life once qualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭FlimFlam

you will have yourself setup for life once qualified.
    Oh dear :( I hope the majority of Gardai joined for better reasons than job security. Or am I being naive?

Come on,

This girl is looking to make a big decision in her life whether or not to make the move to An Garda Siochana as a single mother. We are all joining for the right reasons. But I am sure she would like to know that its a job for the longhaul and not just for xmas. Crime is on the increase, attacks on Gardai are on the up, wages are on the way down. We are all still in there, whats your point ?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭jenny81

Hi, I am a 35yr old male, wife 2 young kids. Decided to make a life change and chose the Gardai, always wanted to be one. I have all stages completed since April and cant wait to start. I know that it is going to be difficult for the 2 yrs, but if it is something you really want you have to make sacrafices. Would be more difficult in your situation, but if you have the backup of family, then take advantage , you will have yourself setup for life once qualified.

thanks for that, i appreciate it, its such a big decision but i really want this,im 28 and its the only job i see myself doing for the rest of my life, i unfortunatly failed maths for my leaving cert so ill have to go back and do that, im thinking of doing that sooner rather than later so its done and dusted. i know its going to be hard but i think its about time i started looking out for myself and into the future if u know what i mean. ive no idea what id be in for even though im constantly reading about it and reading boards over and over but im sure everyones in the same boat, thanks again and well done for getting in, when do u start by the way?

Hi Jenny,

I am afraid no one knows when they are starting, nor does anyone know when the next recruitment campaign is going to be. Maybe start with the reserves and get a feel for the job. By the time they recruit again you will have a good bit of experience under your belt. Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 tiring wait

Come on,

This girl is looking to make a big decision in her life whether or not to make the move to An Garda Siochana as a single mother. We are all joining for the right reasons. But I am sure she would like to know that its a job for the longhaul and not just for xmas. Crime is on the increase, attacks on Gardai are on the up, wages are on the way down. We are all still in there, whats your point ?
    i agree with u adrianjc20 u were giving a good bit of advice. im a 33 year old male and no doubt i see this as a career for life. i think most people are well aware of the security in the job when u apply but i dont think anyone signs up to a job like this unless u have a real interest in the important role this job entails and the community and fighting crime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Ruairi88

Any body watch the six one news 2nite?.Well its about time recruitment got the spotlight.The GRA nd The Garda Sergeants and inspectors pleaded with the governmentto open up a recruitment campaign.They said that there was to many gaps in stations' accross the country and there just isn't enough Gardai. They also said that there was over (800) retirements this year and that there is also 200 promised promotion never upheld.

Finaly and the went on to say that there was some departments missing key personnel I can just remember 2...which was the Garda Technical Bureau and there missing an assistant commissioner.Think the 2nd Department was Ass Commissioner on organised crime.There was a 3rd but I can't remember it!.Hopefully this might bring us some X-Mas cheer.

Happy X-Mas guys nd Gals!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Pointer1900

Just a Newspaper Article I seen online.
    Don't like reading into things but you would think that having Staff in the Restraunt in Templemore would be important.
    http://www.herald.ie/national-news/garda-cutbacks-mean-canteen-jobs-get-chop-1985981.html

Roll on January, and some good news for us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Paudie223

Hows that good news? Prob wont be an intake for another year or so if they are letting people go!!

On the upside they have not let go all the staff. This redundancy most likely reflects the reduced number of recruits that are being taken into Templemore. Also with the talks of a reduced training period for recruits due to the new course maybe there is no need for extra staff. Also are these employees working for an independent contractor who is feeling the pinch due to newer less lucrative contracts ? In my opinion there will be 200 taken in Feb, and 200 taken in may, with a campaign late 2010, early 2011. Again, just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Waiting Game

On the upside they have not let go all the staff. This redundancy most likely reflects the reduced number of recruits that are being taken into Templemore. Also with the talks of a reduced training period for recruits due to the new course maybe there is no need for extra staff. Also are these employees working for an independent contractor who is feeling the pinch due to newer less lucrative contracts ? In my opinion there will be 200 taken in Feb, and 200 taken in may, with a campaign late 2010, early 2011. Again, just my opinion.

I couldnt agree more Adrianjc20 thinking the exact same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭woohoo

Do you know what the new course will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Yes, actually could someone expand on the rumours of a new course? What do you mean shorter? Like shorter phases in Templemore or shorter term in general before attestation or both? Any other differences in the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gardapa

Phase 1 is now 8 months long not six and when you go out on phase 2 you are given powers of arrest....not sure on the rest of it!

• Advertisement

Thanks gardapa! :) Anyone else have any more info?

I heard they are doing away with the 2 year degree course and condensing the lot into six months plus station duty. Would certainly cutdown on expense. A pal of mine heard this from an instructor. But please dont take as gospel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭michealc_87

Couldnt have put it any better. I can see an intake sooner rather than later. ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

I heard they are doing away with the 2 year degree course and condensing the lot into six months plus station duty. Would certainly cutdown on expense. A pal of mine heard this from an instructor. But please dont take as gospel.

Heard this too.

Teach the law you need to know on a day to day basis, get you into uniform and get you out onto the street.

Taken from their experience of the reserve concept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Waiting Game

Hi Adrianjc20
    do you know how long station duty is for?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

does anyone know if members of the cyber crime unit have to spend the normal 3 years uniformed service or?

For the new setup, I wouldnt have a clue. At present is it not 5-6mths at a time in between phases ? If I was to hazzard a guess for the new setup I would say, 6mths Templemore and a year in different stations. Again, just my opinion.

At the moment, from memory its Phase 1- 5 months, Phase 2- 6 months, Phase 3- 3 months, Phase 4 (with Garda powers) - 38 wks, Phase 5- 4 wks. These are rough estimates from memory but I dont think they are too far off the mark. So the new course would mean you're only a student for the 1st phase of 8 months and then you're a probationer?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭northside girl

Blue Belle wrote: »
    At the moment, from memory its Phase 1- 5 months, Phase 2- 6 months, Phase 3- 3 months, Phase 4 (with Garda powers) - 38 wks, Phase 5- 4 wks. These are rough estimates from memory but I dont think they are too far off the mark. So the new course would mean you're only a student for the 1st phase of 8 months and then you're a probationer?

Yeah that's pretty much it. I was working alongside a member from HQ a few months ago who confirmed that the training program was changing but he mentioned that they hadn't finalised it in terms of exactly how it was changing. He did say that the 5 phases that are in place now will be gone and it will go back to something similar to the way things were years ago in that you will go down to templemore for a few months and get attested. I don't know how many months it is but phase 1 at the minute is 5 months long and considering you'd be losing various subjects from phase 3 along with the experience of phase 2, it'd be longer than that, maybe 6-8 months or slightly longer as phase 3 is 12 weeks in duration. Aside from the timeline I can only imagine that with the new program there'll possibly be no more diary and no dissertation and possibly no degree at the end of it but I'm sure that wouldn't bother too many people :) Again that's only my opinion but they are planning on changing the training program. When and how though is anyone's guess.

• Advertisement

Did anyone in your phase have to repeat med & Pct before starting ? Also have you any news on the latest happenings in Templemore, such as staff re-deployment, redundancies, etc....???

Advertisement