Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Waiting Game

Yeah that's pretty much it. I was working alongside a member from HQ a few months ago who confirmed that the training program was changing but he mentioned that they hadn't finalised it in terms of exactly how it was changing. He did say that the 5 phases that are in place now will be gone and it will go back to something similar to the way things were years ago in that you will go down to templemore for a few months and get attested. I don't know how many months it is but phase 1 at the minute is 5 months long and considering you'd be losing various subjects from phase 3 along with the experience of phase 2, it'd be longer than that, maybe 6-8 months or slightly longer as phase 3 is 12 weeks in duration. Aside from the timeline I can only imagine that with the new program there'll possibly be no more diary and no dissertation and possibly no degree at the end of it but I'm sure that wouldn't bother too many people :) Again that's only my opinion but they are planning on changing the training program. When and how though is anyone's guess.

surley a new training programme which has a shorter duration reducing costs would facilitate a quicker intake..im praying for feb intake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭adrianjc20

If February is going ahead surely we should know next week, maybe the week after. Here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭northside girl

adrianjc20 wrote: »
    Did anyone in your phase have to repeat med & Pct before starting ? Also have you any news on the latest happenings in Templemore, such as staff re-deployment, redundancies, etc....???

Hi Adrian, as far as I know nobody in my phase repeated either but when I started intakes were regular up to that point. When I was down there for phase 1 there were a number of people let go from the restaurant, around March or April I think it was and I read that more have gone even more recently than that. As for actual members down there I've heard of at least 2 that have been re-deployed out of the SP school and into other posts. If I hear any news I will let you know.
    surley a new training programme which has a shorter duration reducing costs would facilitate a quicker intake..im praying for feb intake!

I wouldn't have a clue about costs to be honest but I'm sure the new training program will surely be at least 2 years in duration as it is now, except that you get attested a few months earlier. I'd say it'll mean that you'll be a probationer for a bit longer than 9 months. I can't see anybody graduating in less than 2 years as there's a lot to learn! Saying that, it could still all work out cheaper but again I wouldn't know anything about that.

Best of luck to everybody waiting for an intake! I hope you all get good news :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 tiring wait

just wondering what significance the number u r given on the day of ur pct has. i notice from reading the posts that some of u have med and pct done since apr 09.on day of my pct in dec 09 i was given a 4 diget number (over 1000) yet most of the other people had numbers way higher then mine and 4 r 5 of them were repeating the pct as they had failed the push pull part in september. any info would be appreciated as i feel i must be way down line going by the number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 longtimer

Hi all,

after Reading through this thread I have come across a lot of terms I don't know, such as "phase 1, Phase 2" etc

Just wondering the best place to find out information and find out what exactly I need to know to be better equipped for when recruitment finally resumes.

Thanks in advance :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 booms mcd

longtimer wrote: »
    Hi all,

after Reading through this thread I have come across a lot of terms I don't know, such as "phase 1, Phase 2" etc

Just wondering the best place to find out information and find out what exactly I need to know to be better equipped for when recruitment finally resumes.

Thanks in advance :)

Hi longtimer,
    There is lots of info both on this site and garda.ie in relation to garda recruitment. It can be difficult finding specific info but the FAQ section on this site is very useful. I recommend calling to your local station where any of your questions will be answered.
    The phases are the different portions of training that need to be passed for progression until completion. click here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭podsieboy

just wondering what significance the number u r given on the day of ur pct has. i notice from reading the posts that some of u have med and pct done since apr 09.on day of my pct in dec 09 i was given a 4 diget number (over 1000) yet most of the other people had numbers way higher then mine and 4 r 5 of them were repeating the pct as they had failed the push pull part in september. any info would be appreciated as i feel i must be way down line going by the number

i wasnt given a number at all:eek::confused: well i dont think i was anyway

I cant remember using any number except my ID number that I have used troughout the whole process, the one I got from public jobs. Hold on, I think they gave us a number in the lecture hall to put on the top of our forms that we filled out. Was in April, memory is vague.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 waiting28

Hi all,i passed stage two in october 08 well thats when i got my results .Havnt yet had med or phys when i ring up im told my background checks are still being done anyone in the same boat ?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Tommi78

waiting28 wrote: »
    Hi all,i passed stage two in october 08 well thats when i got my results .Havnt yet had med or phys when i ring up im told my background checks are still being done anyone in the same boat ?

Same here even though i have never rang them to see if anything is happening.... like the old saying goes a watched kettle is never boiled...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭karlokarl

podsieboy wrote: »
    i wasnt given a number at all:eek::confused: well i dont think i was anyway

Same here!! In fact I wasn't given anything stating that I passed the PCT!!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭kojack

Same as me I had to ring a few weeks ago to make sure I had actually passed the PCT!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

If you come away from the pct with a form, you havent passed it. You are verbally advised if you pass it and told that HR will be in touch. Which they will Im sure... eventually :) Dont panic about numbers etc. I doubt they mean anything. From reading this site over the past 2 years, nobody ever had a special number that specified when they would be called. For the moment lets concentrate on the government lifting the embargo. Thats the only thing that matters right now anyway.

What you're referring to is your BT number and it's your number in the order of merit when it comes to selection for entry into Templemore. As far as I remember my BT number was on the form I received from the medical section to say that I passed my medical so it might be worth having a look at that if you still have it.

got no form to say i passed the medical just was just told i passed and to go to the HR to get my PCT date and time shud i of got a form??

Maybe it was HRM that issued it so but I definitely had a letter confirming I had passed my medical and that I was due to do my PCT on whatever date because we had to produce the letter to the staff in the college when we arrived. If you have a letter like that it should have your BT number on it because we were asked for it when we went to do the PCT. Might have changed now though but that was the procedure a couple of years ago.

Maybe it was HRM that issued it so but I definitely had a letter confirming I had passed my medical and that I was due to do my PCT on whatever date because we had to produce the letter to the staff in the college when we arrived. If you have a letter like that it should have your BT number on it because we were asked for it when we went to do the PCT. Might have changed now though but that was the procedure a couple of years ago.

yeah from what i remember when i passed med doc gave me letter to hand to reception and i then got letter advising i passed medical and if i pass pct and my application is approved by Garda Commissioner i'll be offered garda trainee position..must look for letter i could be wrong!

yeah your right Northside girl found my letter with BT no. on it it gave date for my pct on same sheet-this sheet was given to me by man who explained pct to me after med-i'll ring HQ tomorrow and see where i am on list

Yep thats what the letter says, It advises that you were successful at medical and tells you to attend for pct and that if you are successful and application approved by the commissioner you will be offered employment as Garda Trainee. BT number is quoted on it alright.

oh sorry ya the letter i got from the HR man has the BT number didnt check that :rolleyes: well its a four digit number surely that many people dont have medicals and physicals done and are waiting to be called

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭mufc4lfe

Whats pct?:confused:

Blue Belle wrote: »
    Yep thats what the letter says, It advises that you were successful at medical and tells you to attend for pct and that if you are successful and application approved by the commissioner you will be offered employment as Garda Trainee. BT number is quoted on it alright.

Hi Blue Belle
    think i replied to your message if not let me know send another reply

Physical Competence Test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭mufc4lfe

podsieboy wrote: »
    Physical Competence Test
    Nice one!

thanks all for replies hey northside girl do you think by that number that i would be way down the list if they are onlygoing to take in maybe 100 at a time could be waiting a long time

adrianjc20 wrote: »
    I cant remember using any number except my ID number that I have used troughout the whole process, the one I got from public jobs. Hold on, I think they gave us a number in the lecture hall to put on the top of our forms that we filled out. Was in April, memory is vague.
    hi adrian you have everything completed since april 09 is that right. did you do your interview anytime around august 08? just wondering as that is when i did mine and all the people i did my pct with in december 09 also did their interviews in august 08 and as i say the bt numbers we were given were all over the 1000 mark and some were considerably higher

Yes had my interview in August '08. And my batch number is over 1000 aswell. I dont think the number means anything really other than an ID for your file. Think about all the people who got these numbers and failed interviews, meds, pcts. From what I can remember there were 15,000 at aptitude stage, 4000 at interview stage and then cut to 1000 candidates.

Last figure we heard was 600 people with everything completed if I remember correctly, so figures over 1000 are probably not recent figures. Is it just me or do people feel that an intake is imminent? There is a lot of activity around here lately :) Its good to see!

just rang the phoenix park and was told there still in the dark on recruitment also asked about the bt number and was told its only for reference to your file and nothing else

• Advertisement

Fair play podsie. Adrian did you ring HR to ask about your med and pct after?

Advertisement