Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Waiting Game

keith101 wrote: »
    I checked my email today, had an email from public jobs, i nearly fell off the chair, haha it was only to notify of changes in the website, I know the moratorium is still in place but i still got a fright:D

next year best to keep an eye on your emails frequently because if there is new recruitment campaign ring straight away to book aptitude test.places wont be long being filled

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭keith101

Haha,sickner... ya there really starting to push the garda reserve, they were out in college last week, and an awful lot of advertisment around... What did you tell her anyways,,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭adrianjc20

Have everything done since last April, waiting to start Templemore. Did not know whether or not I would be wasting their time and mine. Told her to send on the interview date anyway. Have put so much into this since the beginning of last year that I dont know if I can add more and more to what seems to be a dead donkey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭conno3001

Just a quick question,

Say if I do not have a Leaving Cert finished, but I have a degree, will that cover the entrance requirments?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭willit

Got the same mail about the publicjobs website. Does that mean that they will lose the information regarding when you registered? I registered on the 12th of May 2008, just after the last recruitment drive, what timing. I'm just worried that this info will be lost and I will be pooled with people that have just registered. Anyone with any info would be greatly appreciated.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 GoingBk2School

conno3001 wrote: »
    Just a quick question,

Say if I do not have a Leaving Cert finished, but I have a degree, will that cover the entrance requirments?

No, it won't. I was in the same position as you, except I was missing a second LC language and Maths. I had to go back and resit them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭StreetAngel

willit wrote: »
    Got the same mail about the publicjobs website. Does that mean that they will lose the information regarding when you registered? I registered on the 12th of May 2008, just after the last recruitment drive, what timing. I'm just worried that this info will be lost and I will be pooled with people that have just registered. Anyone with any info would be greatly appreciated.;)

Hi willit...
    I was just wondering the same thing as I regestered back in '07, but didn't apply in the last campaign as I had just started a degree course. I would imagine that they would be able to keep a record of when we first registered. Does your date of registration have much bearing on your initial application, do you know?? ..

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

willit wrote: »

Ye will probably have to register again to be safe.

It makes no difference tho, it's only registering for an alert. Doesn't matter if someone applies in June 08 and someone in June 09, they will both get the e-mail to say Gardai are recruiting again at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭itsallgood

How can you not have finished leaving cert but have a degree, just wondering? Whats your degree in?
    The likes of an apprenticeship or PLC wont count as a degree for increments or anything like that?:confused:

itsallgood wrote: »
    How can you not have finished leaving cert but have a degree, just wondering? Whats your degree in?
    The likes of an apprenticeship or PLC wont count as a degree for increments or anything like that?:confused:

Keep in mind I said "if" you have a degree.

Now I'm hoping to go onto 3rd level and get a degree in computer science, there are plenty of 3rd level colleges that intake students to a specific course, through a specific FETAC course. For example I'm in a Computer Science and Game Design course, if I wish I could go onto 3rd level as long as I have a distincti

So technically you don't need your leaving cert done to go onto university, although I will have leaving cert ordinary maths done, or the equivilent.

If I have my equivilent of leaving cert maths done, could I simply go back and sit one second language subject exam?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭itsallgood

I dont see why you cant, im pretty sure its leaving cert maths or equivelant.....otherwise only irish people could apply.
    for the language its 3 languages, say you first language ie English then if you have Irish and 1 more your ok

Hey Guys,

at the risk of sounding smart, would it not be easier to contact Garda Hq directly and ask them. Afterall they should know, and they probably have not much else to do at the moment anyway.

adrianjc20 wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

at the risk of sounding smart, would it not be easier to contact Garda Hq directly and ask them. Afterall they should know, and they probably have not much else to do at the moment anyway.

Theres a bright idea if I ever heard one...

Just got off the phone there, from what he told me, I need my leaving cert done with French and Irish also, regardless of a degree. Anyone want to claim different?

EDIT:
    Quote from: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055681811
    Or
    Like Grades in another examination, which, in the opinion of the Minister for Justice, Equality & Law Reform, is not of a lower standard than the above.

Surely a degree would atleast be of the same standard of a leaving cert?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Rock99

Just got off the phone there, from what he told me, I need my leaving cert done with French and Irish also, regardless of a degree. Anyone want to claim different?quote]

That language thing is a joke. I done my french leaving cert but ask me to speak it now i would not have a clue. The Garda should be the same as their UK counterparts who require no formal qualifications for recruitment. An entry test should be sufficient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭spudz21

So we will have to re-register once the Public Jobs website is upgraded??:)
    I wonder since this is happening and I saw it was mentioned in the other thread about how they might be looking at changing the training in Templemore, could the recruitment process be changed as well??:D:D Any opinions??

In my current job now, I know they assess competancies through role plays, group work etc I find it a much better way:)

Just a thought.....think I've too much time on my hands:P

You don't need 3 languages - you need 2, one of which must be English or Irish.

There are a few reasons why they have the language requirement. Firstly, it's better to have a multilingual force. Also, if you passed LC French, German, or whatever, it shows that you have at least some aptitude for learning languages. This is important because once in Templemore you will have to learn Irish, and if you're unable to do that you won't be able to graduate.

Although I can see the rationale, I would tend to agree that the minimum qualifications not being negotiable is a bad idea. There have been many immigrants to Ireland who have ample experience to take on the job (for example, ex-police from UK, Poland, Romania, etc) but who may not quite make the grade Leaving Cert-wise. I particularly feel this way because I feel I fall into this category! : o ) However, I bit the bullet, cracked open the books and did LC Maths and Spanish. I pity anyone who has to do the whole LC though ...

You don't need 3 languages - you need 2, one of which must be English or Irish.

There are a few reasons why they have the language requirement. Firstly, it's better to have a multilingual force. Also, if you passed LC French, German, or whatever, it shows that you have at least some aptitude for learning languages. This is important because once in Templemore you will have to learn Irish, and if you're unable to do that you won't be able to graduate.

Although I can see the rationale, I would tend to agree that the minimum qualifications not being negotiable is a bad idea. There have been many immigrants to Ireland who have ample experience to take on the job (for example, ex-police from UK, Poland, Romania, etc) but who may not quite make the grade Leaving Cert-wise. I particularly feel this way because I feel I fall into this category! : o ) However, I bit the bullet, cracked open the books and did LC Maths and Spanish. I pity anyone who has to do the whole LC though ...

So I could just do another language? Considering I have the equivilent of LC maths already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭jypo

Hey lads is it not the case that just English and Irish is enough. That is my understanding of it anyway.

Well does anyone have an idea where I could get a hold of a recruitment office number or something simular.

Just looking to talk to someone that knows a good bit about the process and can answer some technical questions.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

This might help:

What are the educational requirements?
    Candidates must have obtained in the Leaving Certificate:

* A grade not lower than B3 at Foundation Level or D3 at another level in Mathematics, and
    * A qualifying grade in 2 languages, 1 of which must be English or Irish, as follows:
    - English: a grade not lower that D3 at Ordinary Level
    - Irish: a grade not lower than C3 at Foundation Level or D3 at another level
    - Other language: a grade not lower than D3 at Ordinary Level, and
    * A grade not lower than D3 at Ordinary Level, in not less than 2 other subjects

Or

The Merit Grade in the Applied Leaving Certificate

Or

Like Grades in another examination, which, in the opinion of the Minister for Justice, Equality & Law Reform, is not of a lower standard than the above.

• Advertisement

Just got off the phone there, from what he told me, I need my leaving cert done with French and Irish also, regardless of a degree. Anyone want to claim different?

EDIT:
    Quote from: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055681811

Surely a degree would atleast be of the same standard of a leaving cert?
    psni wrote: »
    This might help:

What are the educational requirements?
    Candidates must have obtained in the Leaving Certificate:

* A grade not lower than B3 at Foundation Level or D3 at another level in Mathematics, and
    * A qualifying grade in 2 languages, 1 of which must be English or Irish, as follows:
    - English: a grade not lower that D3 at Ordinary Level
    - Irish: a grade not lower than C3 at Foundation Level or D3 at another level
    - Other language: a grade not lower than D3 at Ordinary Level, and
    * A grade not lower than D3 at Ordinary Level, in not less than 2 other subjects

Or

The Merit Grade in the Applied Leaving Certificate

Or

Do you have an answer to the above question?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Answer - Unknown.

If you have a Law degree, it doesn't cover the Leaving Cert syllabus for maths or all the other subjects at the level required.

What is your degree in?

I'm hoping to have Computer Science, that would cover the math requirment surely.

However would it be possible for me to simply take just the english and french exams on the Leaving Cert and leave it at that?

Rather not spend two years doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

I'm hoping to have Computer Science, that would cover the math requirment surely.

However would it be possible for me to simply take just the english and french exams on the Leaving Cert and leave it at that?

Just ring Garda HQ -01 666 0000 and ask to be redirected to some department like appointments, they should be able to help you or at least pass you on to someone who knows

I'll take a gamble on this and say no. It doesn't cover the other 2 subjects they're asking for as well as the languages. I could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

spudz21 wrote: »
    So we will have to re-register once the Public Jobs website is upgraded??:)
    Yes you will have to re-register.

Hey Folks,

does this re-registering have anything to do with people who have everything done and waiting to start Templemore ?

Answer - Unknown.

If you have a Law degree, it doesn't cover the Leaving Cert syllabus for maths or all the other subjects at the level required.

What is your degree in?

Guys ... seriously! ... the answer isn't unknown, and it's clearly set out on the Garda website! All you have to do is take a bit of time to go over the minimum qualifications.

Two languages are required to LC Standard - one of these has to be English or Irish. Therefore, of course, you could have LC English and Irish - that'd be fine.

Maths is required, and then at least two other LC subjects as well.

Equivalent foreign qualifications are also acceptable. Therefore, if you have GCSE, or whatever qualifications are equivalent from the country you schooled in, these will be accepted. However, you will first need to contact the National Qualifications Authority. They will assess what you have, and they will tell you if your qualifications are equivalent to the Garda requirements.

No, having a degree will not help in the slightest if you don't meet those basic requirements. You could have five degrees - if you still don't meet the basic requirements, you will not qualify to join. The Gards have no level of leeway on this as it's written in to law. I know all about this because, as immensely frustrating as it was, I myself was in this exact same position during the height of the recruitment drives a couple of years ago.

Guys ... seriously! ... the answer isn't unknown

Easy now. He asked ME if I had an answer. MY answer to him was that I didn't know, or unknown.

• Advertisement

Easy now. He asked ME if I had an answer. MY answer to him was that I didn't know, or unknown.

Sorry ... I wasn't having a go at you ... I've read your posts on it and they've all been correct. However, there really isn't any ambiguity in what it says on the Garda website. All it takes is that everyone takes the time to read it properly.

Advertisement