Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knife Attack London

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I feel sorry for people with genuine mental health issues having to listen to this after every attack

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Any right thinking person can feel both sadness and concern for individuals they've never met but can think about them there but for the grace of the he who cannot not be named go I, and also for the political concerns raised by the incident.

If boards had been around at the end of June, 1914 - this thread would have had very similar sentiments in many ways - As a thread it's looking like a good one. All the usual thread denizens have been out and had their spake. Now for the repetition. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

Cause of insanity found.
    Islam

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Fabb

getzls wrote: »
    Cause of insanity found.
    Islam

And why do feel it to be this way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Is there any information on the attacker? Name? Photo?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Yes....because you know me so well having met me and discussed these things with me.

Of course...but when the first thing that is posted is the potential political ramifications, rather than human empathy, it is a misplaced concern.

F*ck this post. I started by saying horrible reports but little information. The concern and empathy was obvious, sorry you could not see that, rather trying to get some dig in.

Fabb wrote: »
    And why do feel it to be this way?
    Probably because mental health issues were mentioned as the cause.
    And the speed of the diagnosis.
    Feckin nhs is a top class service!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 256 ✭✭Bobthefireman

shedweller wrote: »
    Is there any information on the attacker? Name? Photo?

My money is on Mohammad being involved somewhere.

My money is on Mohammad being involved somewhere.
    Ah jaysus theres no need for that....
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Alive1

getzls wrote: »
    Cause of insanity found.
    Islam

Eh??? Evidence??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

I feel sorry for people with genuine mental health issues having to listen to this after every attack

Yeh i have a diagnosed mental illness , pisses me all the way off after every one of these attacks that words like insane or nut job can be freely thrown around by the liberal sheeple but mention Islam or Muslims and well your just a xenophipic , uneducated , bigotted , racisit arn't you.

Thees "People" are not screeming Bi Polar , Depression , Anxiext before stabing , shooting beheading , running over or blowing up innocent westerners they are screemin ALLAH AKBAR , Islam is the common thread here not mental illness a religion of opression , intolerance and violence

Sky's Martin Brunt has tweeted that he has been arrested for murder and terrorism has been removed...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

F*ck this post. I started by saying horrible reports but little information. The concern and empathy was obvious, sorry you could not see that, rather trying to get some dig in.

Sure.

Right off the bat we have the classic 'the real victims of this tragedy are ordinary Muslims' meme, followed quickly the the attackers diagnosis as 'mentally ill', without the attacker even being identified, somehow I have little confidence in the ability of comentators to make such a claim without any access to his medical records, and then we have a new one on me, it's probably legal highs!
    The only only thing 'self evident' about your post is it's agenda.

What next? 'Don't pre judge this incident! You don't know that he wasn't simply advertising Ali's Snackbar!'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Sky's Martin Brunt has tweeted that he has been arrested for murder and terrorism has been removed...

Martin Brunt eh, he always looked so harmless.

conorhal wrote: »
    Sure.

From the BBC News Website
    Kevin Hurley, former lead on counter terrorism at City of London Police, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "First and foremost, the tragic event that occurred could have happened at any day of the week in any street in our cities, because there are lots of mentally disordered people who should be in hospital and who are out and about. This is not unusual. We should not jump to conclusions and say that this is terrorist-related.
    "However, it is another reminder of the fact that we need to do more, potentially, to stop people from being groomed on the internet and hate creatures spreading some unpleasantness.
    "But let's remember, you're much more likely to likely to die or be badly injured in your home, than you will either by a mentally disordered person, or indeed a terrorist."

Ah here. They are falling over themselves to say its not islamic terrorism or just islamic nutjobs.
    And nobody is downplaying. Haha!

shedweller wrote: »
    Ah here. They are falling over themselves to say its not islamic terrorism or just islamic nutjobs.
    And nobody is downplaying. Haha!

Ever criminal act in the world is not an act of Islamic Terrorism, I mean you do know that?

Alive1 wrote: »
    Ever criminal act in the world is not an act of Islamic Terrorism, I mean you do know that?
    I do indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

conorhal wrote: »

What next? 'Don't pre judge this incident! You don't know that he wasn't simply advertising Ali's Snackbar!'

My agenda? Paranoid much?
    We dont know the facts yet, but please dont let that stop you from going on a rant about Muslims.

From the BBC News Website
    Kevin Hurley, former lead on counter terrorism at City of London Police, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "First and foremost, the tragic event that occurred could have happened at any day of the week in any street in our cities, because there are lots of mentally disordered people who should be in hospital and who are out and about. This is not unusual. We should not jump to conclusions and say that this is terrorist-related.
    "However, it is another reminder of the fact that we need to do more, potentially, to stop people from being groomed on the internet and hate creatures spreading some unpleasantness.
    "But let's remember, you're much more likely to likely to die or be badly injured in your home, than you will either by a mentally disordered person, or indeed a terrorist."

That's a vague generalization that reads more like pre-emptive PR spin, which BTW, no less pre-judging events than I am. My (perhaps admittedly premature) pre-judgement however is based on probability, or has there not been a pattern of attacks in major European capitals by jihadist leaning nutters lately?

• Advertisement

My agenda? Paranoid much?
    We dont know the facts yet, but please dont let that stop you from going on a rant about Muslims.

It doesn't seem to stop you demonizing mentally ill people though, that's fine it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

It does seem to be the case that anything that happens at the moment > whether it be a knife attack or a road rage incident its either "Terrorist" or Brexit related . . .

There seems to be a lot of media driven paranoia & sensationalism flaoting around at the moment.
    That bloody SkY news alert thingy on my smart phone never stops!

Why haven't they released his name yet? They know who he is, as they are searching his house and know that he's 19....?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

If mental health has been cited as a factor, it's likely there has been a leak that he has a history of mental illness/treatment. Sadly, I feel those with mental health issues are more vulnerable to radicalisation, so terrorism could also be a factor.

They seem to be very anxious to blame mental health rather than Islamic extremism for these attacks. In their efforts to save Islam from blame they may be throwing the mentally ill under the bus. People will start to believe mentally ill people are a danger.

LordSutch wrote: »
    It does seem to be the case that anything that happens at the moment > whether it be a knife attack or a road rage incident its either "Terrorist" or Brexit related . . .

There seems to be a lot of media driven paranoia & sensationalism flaoting around at the moment.
    That bloody SkY news alert thingy on my smart phone never stops!
    It's funny how a few years ago someone went on a similar rampage in Drogheda and it wasn't particularly big news.

Why haven't they released his name yet? They know who he is, as they are searching his house and know that he's 19....?
    What does it matter what is name is?

What's in a name?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,431 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Because the usual troglodytes are slavering at the mouth waiting to blame a Muslim for a "terrorist" attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

What's in a name?

My point exactly , but you are the one obsessing over the name.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement