Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knife Attack London

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Terrorism and bombings and other atrocities that happen outside the so called "Western Sphere" are not NEWS to many of us here in EU for example. Sure they are killing each other every day over there aren't they, so what's new?

They are not reported in our media to any great degree AFAIS.

But when something happens close by (relatively speaking), it's all Sky News 24/7

That's just the way it works.

I'm sure Al Jazeera and similar, doesn't report all that much on things outside it's own audience either.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

• Mass stabbings
    • Shootings
    • Bombings
    Hope that clarifies it for you.

Oh, you already downgrading

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

Samaris wrote: »
    ..that's oddly specific. Afraid if you give any lower numbers for a very specific form of attack for a seven-month period it might actually be doable?

Having said that, bombing in particular is a particularly terrorism-related stunt. Loud, many casualties, scares the crap out of people. And there are many different variations of terrorism in the world, even though I suspect Islamic terrorism was what was being discussed.

I think we both know that if you'd been somewhat fair in your challenge and actually let him have even 100 non-terrorism relating stabbings/shootings/bombings, he wouldn't raise a sweat.

What's your point exactly? Bad stuff happens already so we just just accept even more? Why is it every time something like this happens people try to distract from it with weird crap like this. It's excusing it. It's belittling it and anyone who does that condones it. Innocent people are getting attacked and you're doing everything you can to talk it down and act like its something we should just accept. You're a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

What's your point exactly? Bad stuff happens already so we just just accept even more? Why is it every time something like this happens people try to distract from it with weird crap like this. It's excusing it. It's belittling it and anyone who does that condones it. Innocent people are getting attacked and you're doing everything you can to talk it down and act like its something we should just accept. You're a disgrace.

Wow. Er...did you actually read my post, or did you see "person calling someone out, must attack". I'm a disgrace for pointing out that the challenge to name 20 non-terrorist-related bombings in a seven-month period is unreasonable, when the original comment he was attacking referred to shootings, stabbings AND bombings as things that shouldn't prevent one from travelling because there is always a slight danger and if you wait until there's no chance of it ever happening, you'll never leave the house again?

If that's your definition of a disgrace, sure, I'll own it. I'll be a disgrace that won't let fear rule me or give that victory to the cowardly bastards that bomb innocent people.

..Actually, I just went back and read that again, and I think it makes even less sense than it did the first time. So...in your mind, because I dislike Blaas' artificially narrowing someone's argument to make it as hard to "prove" his point as possible, because it's a dishonest debating technique - ultimately, and through several leaps of logic, I'm condoning terrorism. I mean...what the -actual- fcuk?

Blaas - yeah, found twenty. Although it did make for an interesting internal debate with myself as to where the line between hate attacks and terrorism is drawn. I could get behind the assassinations - they were definitely bombs and specific murders, more so the organised crime ones. Politicians, hm, that's attacking an ideal again, so it COULD be called terrorism, but in the end, it is an assassination/murder. What about when people firebomb churches? Hate crime or terrorism? In the end, I had to just go with the ones that were specifically reported as "hate crime" rather than "terrorism", but with a hefty caveat of the line being nebulous.

I'll post them if you really want the list, or you can take my word for it; this post is just getting rather long with the response to that bizarre accusation going on up the page.

I'm also probably on about sixteen international watchlists due to my googling of the past hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I'm also probably on about sixteen international watchlists due to my googling of the past hour.

Just don't mention echelon... Oh fcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭LuckyRoche

No they weren't. You can find plenty of mass stabbings, shootings and bombings unconnected with terrorism every year across the world.

Not in Europe you can't. These things garner so much media attention due to the fact that they're so rare here. Or were.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,181 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Its just the way of the media at present, that they are trying so hard to tie everything to ISIS.

This was simply a case of a nutter stabbing someone with a knife and killing them. Probably happened in a dozen other places around the world the same day, but wasn't reported on 24/7 because it didn't happen in London.

London has its fair share of crazy people too, law of averages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Insults, yeah that's just what a thread of speculation and jumping the gun needed.

To be fair if you heard a bomb went of in England in the 70's & 90's you would have assumed it was Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

..that's oddly specific. Afraid if you give any lower numbers for a very specific form of attack for a seven-month period it might actually be doable?

Having said that, bombing in particular is a particularly terrorism-related stunt. Loud, many casualties, scares the crap out of people. And there are many different variations of terrorism in the world, even though I suspect Islamic terrorism was what was being discussed.

I think we both know that if you'd been somewhat fair in your challenge and actually let him have even 100 non-terrorism relating stabbings/shootings/bombings, he wouldn't raise a sweat.

More conventional style bombing like a stealth bomber does the same thing tho & probably doubles the amount of people terrorized by it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The Cucks denied that mass islamic immigration would cause social issues and that we a wacists we questioned it. Now that all of people's fears came through, the Cucks are now denying that mass and copycat stabbings are even a newsworthy issue.

They are desperately trying to convince themselves that they were not wrong. One thing that left wingers cling onto in life is that they think they are more intelligent that others (and they'll be the first to tell you). This is despite predominantly working is low paid jobs and having severe social and personal issues. The fact they have been proven wrong kills their false belief that they are intelligent.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,449 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

The Cucks denied that mass islamic immigration would cause social issues and that we a wacists we questioned it. Now that all of people's fears came through, the Cucks are now denying that mass and copycat stabbings are even a newsworthy issue.

They are desperately trying to convince themselves that they were not wrong. One thing that left wingers cling onto in life is that they think they are more intelligent that others (and they'll be the first to tell you). This is despite predominantly working is low paid jobs and having severe social and personal issues. The fact they have been proven wrong kills their false belief that they are intelligent.

LMAO

Have you seen the kind of neanderthals who go to EDL or Britain first rallies? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Name 20 this year.

20 bombings this year? I doubt I could off hand. It's an oddly specific request. Have you being searching for reports of terrorist bombings this year and found twenty so you decided if I couldn't do the same then I was wrong? Whatever floats your boat. I'll start looking back through the news reports of the Army bomb disposal being called this year and let you know how many I can find that were classed as viable devices.
    Oh, you already downgrading

Are you telling me what I meant or giving me a grammar lesson? I don't know which is the sadder tactic.
    LuckyRoche wrote: »
    Not in Europe you can't. These things garner so much media attention due to the fact that they're so rare here. Or were.

They are only getting attention when people think they can link them to terrorism.

More conventional style bombing like a stealth bomber does the same thing tho & probably doubles the amount of people terrorized by it.

Oh, yeah, of course, but ..hm, I wasn't really taking acts of war into account. It doesn't tend to get reported in the same way (well, bar one where the French apparently deliberately dropped thirty munitions on a Syrian village and killed over a hundred civilians just after Nice). Terrorism tends to be applied to non-state actors committing unfocused (or semi-focused; they may target a group of people, but they don't tend to have a personal grudge against any of them) mass damage, injuries or killings with the intent of terrorising a population into doing what they want. Drone strikes definitely cause terror, mass damage and mass injuries against a specific group of people, but they are carried out by state actors with the specific purpose of destroying ISIS targets. They tend to -try- and avoid civilian areas.

That definitely puts things like Dresden, Hiroshima/Nagasaki and the Blitz into a grey area. It fits all the qualifications bar that it was a definite act of war during a declared war.

When you consider that the vast majority of attacks are committed by people who have been born and bred in Europe, how do you link it to current immigration?

When you consider that the vast majority of attacks are committed by people who have been born and bred in Europe, how do you link it to current immigration?

That the children of these immigrants will be similar or worse than the last batch. We're just increasing the numbers

LMAO

Have you seen the kind of neanderthals who go to EDL or Britain first rallies? :rolleyes:

LMAO

Have you seen the kind of Neanderthals who go to AAA/PBP or Left Republican rallies? :rolleyes:

See how easy that is.

LMAO

Have you seen the kind of Neanderthals who go to AAA/PBP or Left Republican rallies? :rolleyes:

See how easy that is.

I have indeed, but claiming left wing people are less educated is an idiotic statement to make, unless of course you have proof of this? I'll be over here not holding my breath while you trot off and find the evidence to back up your claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

mod Here's a nice idea: why don't you continue to post without the random insults and I won't thread ban you.

Probably just doubled because you suspect it is happening :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Easier still - stay right here and vote your kind down.

I suppose you'll have to link it to Islam then

What else is tying these people to something that's happening thousands of miles away

I suppose you'll have to link it to Islam then

What else is tying these people to something that's happening thousands of miles away

Probably the same thing that made millions of 2nd and 3rd generation Americans donate large amounts of money to the IRA.

Probably the same thing that made millions of 2nd and 3rd generation Americans donate large amounts of money to the IRA.

Similar but not the same. One was heritage, the other is religion.

Similar but not the same. One was heritage, the other is religion.

Kinship

Kinship

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

still though when the falklands war was on, I never felt the urge to stand with my fellow Argentianian Catholics against the evil Protestant British

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Yep.

So what's the difference between a 2nd/3rd generation irish/American supporting a terrorist organisation and a 2nd/3rd generation afghan/syrian/iraqi doing the same?

That the children of these immigrants will be similar or worse than the last batch. We're just increasing the numbers

How does that solve the current problem? Surely it's best to address the issue now instead of ban immigrants and hope terrorism stops in 20 years through attrition.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

So what's the difference between a 2nd/3rd generation irish/American supporting a terrorist organisation and a 2nd/3rd generation afghan/syrian/iraqi doing the same?

but why does the second generation afghan overly care about what is happening in Syria? Britain or France isn't doing anything to Pakistan as far as I am aware so "logically" second generation kids from Pakistan should not be showing up in terrorist statistics which I am sure they are.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

I didn't say there was?
    Just said it was there religion that was linking them

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement