Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knife Attack London

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

conorhal wrote: »
    It doesn't seem to stop you demonizing mentally ill people though, that's fine it seems.

That is a truly disgusting and despicable thing to say. I have done nothing of the sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

Because the usual troglodytes are slavering at the mouth waiting to blame a Muslim for a "terrorist" attack.

And is that an unreasonable assumption given what has been happening in Europe recently

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Alive1

Letree wrote: »
    And is that an unreasonable assumption given what has been happening in Europe recently

Yes.
    The overwhelming majority of stabbings and shooting that occur, sadly, on a daily basis , have no relation at all to terrorism or religion.
    The Metropolitan Police dont appear to believe at this time that this was terrorist related , so why dont we wait until the fact are clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

Alive1 wrote: »
    Yes.
    The overwhelming majority of stabbings and shooting that occur, sadly, on a daily basis , have no relation at all to terrorism or religion.
    The Metropolitan Police dont appear to believe at this time that this was terrorist related , so why dont we wait until the fact are clear.

Stabbings yes mass stabbings no

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

Because the usual troglodytes are slavering at the mouth waiting to blame a Muslim for a "terrorist" attack.

And the usual smug liberals are praying that it was a white lad with mental health issues so that they can take the moral high road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

The_Mac wrote:
    And the usual smug liberals are praying that it was a white lad with mental health issues so that they can take the moral high road.

To be fair, I think most people who are hoping it wasn't a terrorist attack are doing so because of the abuse and hardship the entire religion is getting, which people are justifying using the attacks.

The_Mac wrote: »
    Pretty sick thing to say.
    A woman is dead, a family are mourning, people are injured.
    Thats all that matters right now, and RIP to the poor victim.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

getzls wrote: »
    Cause of insanity found.
    Islam

MOD
    Don't post in this thread again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 256 ✭✭Bobthefireman

I'm not obsessed with the name. It's just unusual that it is withheld.

Not really, it has only been a matter of hours since the attack.

• Advertisement

http://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-england-london-36875146

From the BBC:

There is a subtle change in the Met's latest statement where it says "we focus... on mental health while retaining an open mind".

Earlier statements included the line "terrorism remains one line of the inquiry being explored" but that has now been removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

I'm pretty sure under uk law they can't be named until they are formally charged, so he has to go through that process first.

Unless someone corrects me.

Pretty sick thing to say.
    A woman is dead, a family are mourning, people are injured.
    Thats all that matters right now, and RIP to the poor victim.

No, who did it and why is actually extremely important and it's important right now.
    Regardless of your attempt to shut down any discussion about that with guilt and shame.

No, who did it and why is actually extremely important and it's important right now.
    Regardless of your attempt to shut down any discussion about that with guilt and shame.

And how have I tried to shut down discussion, I am merely quoting the facts as presented by the Police, sadly those facts may not suit those with a particular agenda.
    And an RIP to the victim is not guilt, it is respect and recognition, you might try it yourself.

What does the name have to do with anything, anyway? Knife crimes and stabbings have been happening in London and, I believe, this isn't the first of such attacks. The only reason we're hearing about it is because the world is eager to jump at claims of terrorism. Otherwise it'd be a couple-word writeup on the sidebar of a tabloid newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I was planning to be in London during the Summer and would have been visiting the area. What put me off was the ''When , not if'' warning about terror attacks . With that in mind it's understandable that people wondered if this was more terror .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

I was based around russell square for a 5 days two weeks ago ...would have no issues going again today, no problem ..very safe area ..with easy walking access to Covent Garden, British Museum etc ..... same event could happen in Dublin if we are honest with ourselves .

So lets not get ourselves into a mood of fear and panic filled by 24/7 news ..they have to fill that time with anything they can.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

Fabb wrote: »
    getzls wrote: »
    Cause of insanity found.
    Islam

And why do feel it to be this way?
    As Churchill said.
    Islam in a man is as dangerous as Rabies in a dog.

Mod: Banned for ignoring thread ban

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Letree wrote: »
    Stabbings yes mass stabbings no

I remember the Swedes House Mafia terrorist attack in the park a while back. Oh wait, it was just a drunk.

And how have I tried to shut down discussion, I am merely quoting the facts as presented by the Police, sadly those facts may not suit those with a particular agenda.
    And an RIP to the victim is not guilt, it is respect and recognition, you might try it yourself.

People can speculate all they like. This is an Internet forum. Yes stabbings happen everyday, most of these are either mugging or gang related, or the victims know their attackers.

This is a mass stabbing towards random victims. This does not happen everyday, and is either some very dangerous crazy person, or is a terrorist attack. Or both.

The police have given us no reasons or motive yet , which is why people are speculating. Recent history has give people reasons for this speculation. You are trying to stop discussion about a very real issue, by using deflection and shame tactics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

I was planning to be in London during the Summer and would have been visiting the area. What put me off was the ''When , not if'' warning about terror attacks . With that in mind it's understandable that people wondered if this was more terror .

I had to go to London last year when there were warnings about "when" an attack would happen, still used the underground when a colleague refused and took the bus everywhere. You just have to take your chances but if that risk is too much then I guess its better you feel more secure.

I have lived near Russell Square in the past, its a safe enough area in my eyes, if you are going to London to visit friends or if its for work, do go down that area, the Brit museum is there and nice public gardens.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I remember the Swedes House Mafia terrorist attack in the park a while back. Oh wait, it was just a drunk.

That was audio terrorism.

failinis wrote: »
    I had to go to London last year when there were warnings about "when" an attack would happen, still used the underground when a colleague refused and took the bus everywhere. You just have to take your chances but if that risk is too much then I guess its better you feel more secure.

I have lived near Russell Square in the past, its a safe enough area in my eyes, if you are going to London to visit friends or if its for work, do go down that area, the Brit museum is there and nice public gardens.

I know it's generally nice and safe. I have the choice -if I had to go for work it would be different . Since I don't have to, I am happier to wait until it's not at the second highest terror threat . I would enjoy it more.

I remember 81 men, women and children run over by a truck in nice a few weeks ago, but it was by some crazed loner, who didn't even practice religion.
    Forget the fact later it emerged several people supplied him with weapons or knew of his intentions and said nothing. And he pledged allegiance to Isis.

We can all use individual events for argument either side. Individual events do not prove or disprove the opinions on the larger issue. Again, it's just deflection.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,456 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

People can speculate all they like. This is an Internet forum. Yes stabbings happen everyday, most of these are either mugging or gang related, or the victims know their attackers.

This is a mass stabbing towards random victims. This does not happen everyday, and is either some very dangerous crazy person, or is a terrorist attack. Or both.

The police have given us no reasons or motive yet , which is why people are speculating. Recent history has give people reasons for this speculation. You are trying to stop discussion about a very real issue, by using deflection and shame tactics.

Anyone remember the big thread about the terrorist attack in Temple Bar a while back?

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/man-fights-for-life-as-four-stabbed-on-night-of-chaos-in-temple-bar-31336648.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Guardian quoting police as saying its a Norwegian national of Somali origin

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I remember 81 men, women and children run over by a truck in nice a few weeks ago, but it was by some crazed loner, who didn't even practice religion.
    Forget the fact later it emerged several people supplied him with weapons or knew of his intentions and said nothing. And he pledged allrgience to Isis.

We can all use individual events for argument either side. Individual events do not prove or disprove the opinions on the larger issue. Again, it's just deflection.

And once the media confirm that there's an Islamist connection, and you get your happy "told you so!" moment online ... what difference will it make to your life?

A woman is dead, and some people worry that innocents will suffer as a result. I'm not sure what deflection you're seeing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The thing that struck me about the police statement was that he mentioned a mentally disturbed person who should have been in a hospital. I wonder if it was a comment on Cameron's cut backs to the health service.

How many people have they arrested ? One witness said a ''chubby faced white man '', another :''Zuhair Awartani was trying to return to a hotel where he was staying when he saw a "dark-skinned man" in his "late 20s" being arrested.''

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

What does the name have to do with anything, anyway? Knife crimes and stabbings have been happening in London and, I believe, this isn't the first of such attacks. The only reason we're hearing about it is because the world is eager to jump at claims of terrorism. Otherwise it'd be a couple-word writeup on the sidebar of a tabloid newspaper.

There are 30 knife crimes in London every day.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-36411782

The horrible incident in Russell Square was actually the second mass stabbing resulting in a death in London just yesterday. The first for some reason didn't make the headlines.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/aug/03/man-dies-wandsworth-south-london-stabbing

There's no real need to wait on the name in order to know if the attacker last night was a Muslim man or not. If he wasn't then it wouldn't have made the news, it would just be another on the long list of horrible knife attacks in London.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement