Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knife Attack London

Options
  • 04-08-2016 2:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭

Horrible reports on a fatal stabbing of one woman, and six other people in London.

Terrorism has not been ruled out and the story is still in a very early stage.

http://news.sky.com/story/terror-not-ruled-out-in-deadly-knife-attack-10522062

Story so far:

"A woman has been killed and five other people injured in a knife attack, in which police have not ruled out terrorism.

Police were called to reports of an armed man attacking people in Russell Square, London, shortly after 10.30pm on Wednesday.

Officers attending the scene found up to six people injured.

A woman was treated at the scene but was declared dead a short time later.

The condition of the other people hurt has not been released.

A man was arrested just minutes later after a Taser was fired by one of the police officers"

London has been on high alert for the past while now, they were expecting something to happen, one has to wonder if this was it, or part of it.

Mods: feel free to add or edit if needed (bed time)

Edit: 11:53 4th Aug

One American woman died (RIP)

Those in hospital expected to make a full recovery.

A suspect is in custody. He is not known to authorities and no longer believe the attack was motivated by terror. It appears that mental health issues maybe at play here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Sh*t I spent 5 days around Russell Square two weeks ago ...felt very safe walking around ..:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

DominoDub wrote: »
    Sh*t I spent 5 days around Russell Square two weeks ago ...felt very safe walking around ..:eek:

Yeah, its quite a nice spot.

Hoping its just some insane person rather than terrorism, with all the increase in xenophobia in England at the moment, this will not help things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Probably just some nut job had a row with his wife after too much booze or cheap drugs or "legal highs".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Police were called to reports of an armed man attacking people in Russell Square, shortly at 10.33pm on Wednesday.

A man was arrested at 10.39pm after a Taser was fired by one of the police officers.

Six or so minutes between being called and making an arrest.

Fair play to them.

Noveight wrote: »
    Six or so minutes between being called and making an arrest.

Fair play to them.

I often found that about London, you might not see many police, but when anything happens (fights, etc) police show up very quickly. Probably all the CCTV in operation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Yeah, its quite a nice spot.

Hoping its just some insane person rather than terrorism, with all the increase in xenophobia in England at the moment, this will not help things.

whats the difference? anyone who would do that is insane

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Police will give a news conference at 3.30am.

CNN say it is believed to be a terrorist attack.

One of the injured is American.

Oh, of course there insane. Anyone who acts that way is mental. My fear is that if it was a planned attack, minority racial groups could be on the receiving end of hostility and abuse. Also be more of a rallying call for right wing elements.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I believe the answer was in the second part of the sentence that you quoted but didn't bold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Oh, of course there insane. Anyone who acts that way is mental. My fear is that if it was a planned attack, minority racial groups could be on the receiving end of hostility and abuse. Also be more of a rallying call for right wing elements.

Why are you politicizing it yourself if your worried about it being politicized?

Claims the person responsible was a middle eastern man.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Dreannz

I'm around Russell Square a lot as I spend so much time in Queens Square Hospital.
    I would leave very late after appointments and always feel safe around Queens Sq and Russell Sq.
    My power wheelchair is so fast I'd consider it a weapon though, I feel like I've always some defense with me. I can just run people over.
    It makes me feel a bit safer but this is just scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

Bbc seem to be saying mental health is a factor but they can not rule anything out yet.

A 19-year-old man was arrested at 22:39 after a Taser was discharged by an officer. The Met said mental health was a "significant factor" in the events.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36972126

Same as Dreannz - when I was in London it was 15mins from Russell Street and often used the station late at night. Its a nice and safe area. I think there is a huge hostel near there too.
    (On phone so apologies for messed up quoting)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Fabb

It was a spooky ghost

• Registered Users Posts: 9,728 ✭✭✭lertsnim

RobertKK wrote: »

Did they say where they got that from? The American news channels are always quick to scream terrorism.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kyogger

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Probably just some nut job had a row with his wife after too much booze or cheap drugs or "legal highs".

What's the difference between booze and a 'legal high'?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

kyogger wrote: »
    What's the difference between booze and a 'legal high'?

Booze is regulated.

Legal highs are essentially recreational drugs that have been modified to get around the legal aspect of drugs. They're legal until the law is updated to make them illegal, and then they modify them again. They can cause unpredictable side effects as they're not regulated or tested and there can be huge variation of responses within different people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Fabb wrote: »
    It was a spooky ghost
    mod: consider this your only warning: don't make jokes like this again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

My concern would be for the dead lady and the injured.

But that's just me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Good to see the use of the taser, no need for 5 rounds to the chest

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Good to see the use of the taser, no need for 5 rounds to the chest

I wouldn't lose a wink if the person did get 5 rounds to the chest. I'm sure the family of the woman killed would be the same.

RobertKK wrote: »

D'ya reckon they're only crying terrorism because one of them is American?

Knife crime has been a huge problem in London for a very long time. This isn't anything new, sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Megahead

But that's just me.

I'm sure your're terribly concerned for someone you've never heard of or met.

But that's just you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

But that's just me.

You can be concerned for more than one thing at a time you know.

so your initial concern is welfare of minority groups then?? eehh OK!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Megahead wrote: »
    I'm sure your're terribly concerned for someone you've never heard of or met.

But that's just you.

Yes....because you know me so well having met me and discussed these things with me.

You can be concerned for more than one thing at a time you know.

Of course...but when the first thing that is posted is the potential political ramifications, rather than human empathy, it is a misplaced concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stunmer

I hope the perpetrator turns out to be insane and is not a terrorist. This could be insanity, terrorism, a mix of both or something else.

If it turns out to be terrorism we can discuss exactly how this does not fit into our normal definition of insanity. I'm not going to go into it until I hear more details as it is too early to speculate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 256 ✭✭Bobthefireman

If mental health has been cited as a factor, it's likely there has been a leak that he has a history of mental illness/treatment. Sadly, I feel those with mental health issues are more vulnerable to radicalisation, so terrorism could also be a factor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Of course...but when the first thing that is posted is the potential political ramifications, rather than human empathy, it is a misplaced concern.

Generally, when someone is attacked, I would have thought pity and sadness for the victims goes without saying. However, it seems it now needs to be said in very clear terms to quell the moral high horsers before expressing any other sort of opinion. Funny old world we live in...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement