Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'd say he's getting well enough paid for the work he does.

He’s most likely on the same money as he was then if not more (allowing for increments, extra years service etc.) for less work. If he can stomach the ego blow and being less in the public eye I’d say he’s quite happy tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Tabloid headlines tomorrow.

"Harding has relationship with badger - takes photos without permission"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,139 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

ah ffs....Jen Gannon!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Way, way, way out of her depth, and I’m being kind there.

The sending sympathies on Twitter to the Nchecnko family from her position as Minister for Justice (wtf?!!!!) in an attempt I can only assume to appear woke vac and make political capital from it was a highlight that won’t be forgotten by many, esp. any Gardai.

Yeah she appears to have been over promoted or at least prematurely promoted to a senior position

She did sort of impress me in her European junior ministry role

I'd still prefer her to the cynical opportunist that is Doherty

Over Christmas i randomly saw that programme where mary mcaleese took ppl on a walk in the countryside and had a chat - it was repeated on the news now channel

Anyway mcentee was on one day. I dunno what I was expecting but she didn’t impress much - didn’t have a whole lot to say for herself really

But has a “divine right” to a FG seat as her dad had it before her.

That's harsh , many people don't want to talk about family tragedy

• Advertisement

Over Christmas i randomly saw that programme where mary mcaleese took ppl on a walk in the countryside and had a chat - it was repeated on the news now channel

Anyway mcentee was on one day. I dunno what I was expecting but she didn’t impress much - was like she had no real interest in politics and didn’t have a whole lot to say for herself really

But has a “divine right” to a FG seat as her dad had it before her.

That sums it up alright.

Mad_maxx wrote: »

It’s not. Many people also don’t use a family tragedy for personal gain.

ah ffs....Jen Gannon!

#woke

I'd still prefer her to the cynical opportunist that is Doherty

She’s been every bit as much an opportunist as Doherty. She’s Doherty with better PR, basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I had a different view of "Broken Law" than Brendan's reviewer: https://irelandsmovies.wordpress.com/ Since shameless plugging is okay with Brendan's show, :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

What? That’s not what I was referring to. In fact she did talk about her fathers sad demise to mcaleese.

But what I noticed is that she had very little to say for her self re politics -despite it being her chosen career which she is being paid huge amounts to do

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I'd say he's getting well enough paid for the work he does.

Wonder how his idea for a Eurovision musical and movie is going. He got on the public airwaves to plug it a number of times last year.

It’s not. Many people also don’t use a family tragedy for personal gain.

thats even worse , she was asked to run , inheriting seats is a common occurrence in this country , should she be excluded from running by virtue of being her fathers daughter ?

the electorate were not forced to vote for her either

thats even worse , she was asked to run , inheriting seats is a common occurrence in this country , should she be excluded from running by virtue of being her fathers daughter ?

the electorate were not forced to vote for her either

Ah here.....did I say she should be excluded? No.

“Asked to run”? You’re acting like the thought never occurred to her prior to being asked. Is that how you think politics works?

Yes no one was forced to vote for her. Or the Healy-Raes, the Flynns, the Cowans etc. We are a disgrace how we vote in this country.

Ah here.....did I say she should be excluded? No.

“Asked to run”? You’re acting like the thought never occurred to her prior to being asked. Is that how you think politics works?

Yes no one was forced to vote for her. Or the Healy-Raes, the Flynns, the Cowans etc. We are a disgrace how we vote in this country.

so who are you annoyed with ?

Mc Entee or the electorate ?

so who are you annoyed with ?

Mc Entee or the electorate ?

Both.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Derek Mooney has a challenge for you. He wants you to all petition RTE to remove Ray D'Arcy and get him his job back.

I find Mooney pretty hard going, but where do I sign?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭Comhrá

PieOhMy wrote: »
    It always entertains me that the guy from birdwatch ireland has the surname "Hatch". Does anyone know of any other appropriate named people for their job?

Charlie Bird?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Odeta

I like the way Brendan O'Connor gives the odd wee dig. The other week about the Happy Pear being all over Instagram, now Michael Harding being all over RTÉ.

RTE must like the odd wee dig too ... they are playing that Happy Pear moment in an ad for the show.

Odeta wrote: »
    RTE must like the odd wee dig too ... they are playing that Happy Pear moment in an ad for the show.

RTÉ used to do this a bit more and always played a bit on rivalries between presenters, memorably the apparent one between Gay Byrne and Pat Kenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,116 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

What thread am I on.... the Politics Thread?

Or is it Radio......

A lot of political input here..... just sayin!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Comhra wrote: »
    Charlie Bird?

Would be great if he joined up! I think I saw a guy with surname " pidegon" on the news for some reason during the week, another potential member! But I meant for any organisation, like if someone representing the AA was called 'Mr Carr' or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Would be great if he joined up! I think I saw a guy with surname " pidegon" on the news for some reason during the week, another potential member! But I meant for any organisation, like if someone representing the AA was called 'Mr Carr' or something like that?

I like Charlie, I have to say. I also have fond memories of the late Arthur Murphy, who also came back now and then to keep the hand in-it's a pity he finished up with D'Arcy, and to my mind his passing seemed to go almost unacknowledged, I hope I'm wrong on that.

This lad worked with George Martin and Eric Robinson, he was a great character.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭thesandeman

In my 10+ years on Boards I have to say that the last few posts must be the biggest and most unexpected tangent/segue I've ever experienced on a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    I heard that Hugh Wallace piece today. When he was on last week I thought he was fishing for a program to be made about it/him (I had to check if he was a NK boy or not, he isn't). He was on/discussed the day after last weeks show and he's back on today.

I'd put money on it that a program is in the offing.
    I hadn't heard the item last week, but did listen to Saturday's one and I thought it was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I like Charlie, I have to say. I also have fond memories of the late Arthur Murphy, who also came back now and then to keep the hand in-it's a pity he finished up with D'Arcy, and to my mind his passing seemed to go almost unacknowledged, I hope I'm wrong on that.

This lad worked with George Martin and Eric Robinson, he was a great character.

Arthur Murphy was widely acknowledged at the time of his death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

serfboard wrote: »
    I hadn't heard the item last week, but did listen to Saturday's one and I thought it was very good.

Glad you enjoyed it. Seems like it's an annual event though. Media whoring imo.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/hugh-wallace-the-day-i-stopped-drinking-changed-my-life-1.4134094

This is a refreshingly open & forthright interview with Micheál Martin re the Covid situation. Of course he's telling us too that his personal opinion regarding opening up at Christmas was different to his colleagues. Brendan asking the right questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

This is a refreshingly open & forthright interview with Micheál Martin re the Covid situation. Of course he's telling us too that his personal opinion regarding opening up at Christmas was different to his colleagues. Brendan asking the right questions.

At last a spade is being called a spade - very good interview by Brendan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭strawdog

Yep in fairness to Brendan he seems capable of responding and callibrating his probing to the answers given instead of repeating the same question in different words like most of the people who interview MM

Advertisement