Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

In general I like the show, and I'm a fan of BOC. However, listening to it now, if there is a more annoying, self important, righteous contributor than Sinead O'Carroll, then I haven't heard of them. How anyone who "writes" for the Journal.ie has such a media profile is a damning indictment on the state of our media.

Careful now...you could open up a can of worms with a never ending list of names here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

In general I like the show, and I'm a fan of BOC. However, listening to it now, if there is a more annoying, self important, righteous contributor than Sinead O'Carroll, then I haven't heard of them. How anyone who "writes" for the Journal.ie has such a media profile is a damning indictment on the state of our media.

shes a complete and utter journalistic and intellectual featherweight but she is indicative of the new wave of Uber WOKE irish journalists who dominate the scene

o carroll
    ellen coyne
    collete browne

even the irish times crime writer Conor Gallagher is a walking talking WOKE merchant

they all have the exact same views on everything

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I missed the intros, is Pete the Vet on again? Noel Kelly might as well work as a scheduler in RTE his "talent" are on so often...............:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    shes a complete and utter journalistic and intellectual featherweight but she is indicative of the new wave of Uber WOKE irish journalists who dominate the scene

o carroll
    ellen coyne
    collete browne

even the irish times crime writer Conor Gallagher is a walking talking WOKE merchant

they all have the exact same views on everything
    Agree completely. Wokeness appears to have superseded intelligence and the ability to think for oneself. I think people are beginning to see through this rubbish though.

who was the female contributor on the phone who went off on a leftist ideological rant off the back of the " mother and baby homes " report ?

• Advertisement

Agree completely. Wokeness appears to have superseded intelligence and the ability to think for oneself. I think people are beginning to see through this rubbish though.

time will tell , RTE was always at the vanguard of the progressive liberal agenda in ireland but they have taken to non stop bombardment of that agenda this past few years so a lot of people become conditioned into believing what goes on RTE is the benchmark for respectable thinking

the new Prime Time presenter is in the irish independent today , talking about how important " diversity " is , she herself is gay and talks about her marriage , thats terrific but " diversity " is an ideologically loaded term and no one brings it up without having an agenda

the point being , she was picked for the Prime Time role for good reason , she is a card carrying progressive with a " diversity " profile to match

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/rtes-louise-byrne-i-am-happy-to-talk-about-who-i-am-because-diversity-matters-on-television-39951587.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Yeah but I think people need to be conscious that RTE only represents a certain view. They are meant to be objective and give fair and balanced reporting (Under the BAI guidelines), and they claim to be objective, but they are simply NOT objective. I listen to RTE to hear what the State line is on things like COVID, HSE etc and I listen to other radio stations for the other side of the argument.

Seems like the current line is "Burn what's left of the private sector to the ground to save the HSE. (Well, except the private hospitals and nursing homes, cos we might need them.)"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Brendan a bit tetchy this morning - telling Gabrielle not to covet airey fairy stories , trying to rebuke Peter Long after he called out the media and it's lax approach when interviewing vested interests (ouch) . I could also add in his annoyance when Sinead O Carroll intervened on the LC/SNA debacle and his don't blame the media (Sindo to be precise) for carrying the mothers and babies home story when if he listened the contributior was clearly blaming the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Who's Ali Ryan?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Anyone listening to Hugh Wallace talking about the the perils of alcohol think he sounded a little "tired and emotional" himself?

• Advertisement

humberklog wrote: »
    Anyone listening to Hugh Wallace talking about the the perils of alcohol think he sounded a little "tired and emotional" himself?

Nah, I heard him on last week on some other RTE show. The long version of that "glass of wine during the lockdown" story. He was the same joyless, dour, self righteous person.

He did sound a tad different for some reason, from his usual self. I recall some years ago he said on a TV show that he was an exception among people with alcoholism in that he was able to take the occasional drink, with the host suggesting he was in denial.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Ah right. I just had an image of him (based on his tone) sitting of the stairs in his jocks, DT's, kids and wife with the in laws, car parked half on the path and half in the hedge and the wheelie bin looking scared on its side in the garden when through the crushing fog a thought comes to his mind..."the drink is brutal! It's abusing us all! Everyone should know this and I'm the one to tell them...Eh Hello Brendan? You won't believe the revelation I've just had, oh and would you have a loan of a tenner?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭spakman

I had to turn off Brendan O'Connor after 5 mins today. He started off with "well done on getting through the most miserable week in the most miserable month" spiel, then went on about "if you think the vaccine rollout is bad now, wait until you see the chaos in a few months".

Who needs that much misery and cynicism on a Saturday morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,183 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is Nevin Maguire an RTE employee?

He is hardly ever off, be it radio or television.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭elperello

NIMAN wrote: »
    Is Nevin Maguire an RTE employee?

He is hardly ever off, be it radio or television.

He's not an RTE employee.

He is a great chef, a good businessman and an excellent communicator.

Just the man for the job.

elperello wrote: »

Although his cooking tips are just background noise for me, he does seem like a nice fella too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,160 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

So he is......

Wonder how many Montrose folk have not dined at Nevins gaff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Cole wrote: »
    Although his cooking tips are just background noise for me, he does seem like a nice fella too.

Your impression is correct.

He is a very nice man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

spakman wrote: »
    I had to turn off Brendan O'Connor after 5 mins today. He started off with "well done on getting through the most miserable week in the most miserable month" spiel, then went on about "if you think the vaccine rollout is bad now, wait until you see the chaos in a few months".

Who needs that much misery and cynicism on a Saturday morning?

And that after the misery fest the LLS has become on that stick-insects watch last night.... Very seldom I watch rte these days though I keep an eye on radio 1 out of habit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,160 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Your impression is correct.

He is a very nice man.

Knows how to ‘ Work the room’ ,buddy.

What would that publicity cost in commercial terms.

Were you ever up in Blacklion.......did you pay?

Honest question, dude.

Knows how to ‘ Work the room’ ,buddy.

What would that publicity cost in commercial terms.

Were you ever up in Blacklion.......did you pay?

Honest question, dude.

A truly clever Cavan man, doesn't even have to get Noel Kelly to do his negotiations & publicity for him, and yet remain one of the most civil individuals on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I heard that Hugh Wallace piece today. When he was on last week I thought he was fishing for a program to be made about it/him (I had to check if he was a NK boy or not, he isn't). He was on/discussed the day after last weeks show and he's back on today.

I'd put money on it that a program is in the offing.

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    I heard that Hugh Wallace piece today. When he was on last week I thought he was fishing for a program to be made about it/him (I had to check if he was a NK boy or not, he isn't). He was on/discussed the day after last weeks show and he's back on today.

I'd put money on it that a program is in the offing.

I like his architectural contributions, don't know if I could face the personal demons show unless it were substantially positive. I feel I'm getting progressively shallower (or avoiding my own feelings of depression which I should allegedly embrace and indeed nurture) the more RTÉ outs out the misery shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

I like his architectural contributions, don't know if I could face the personal demons show unless it were substantially positive. I feel I'm getting progressively shallower (or avoiding my own feelings of depression which I should allegedly embrace and indeed nurture) the more RTÉ outs out the misery shows.

It’s not just you, we’re all sick of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,183 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

For the record, I actually like him.
    He does seem like a nice man, good personality and his cooking shows are good to watch. Also had the pleasure of eating in his restaurant once, was great.

I was just pointing out that he is never off RTE. I nearly thought he was on Noel Kelly's books!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭spakman

There he goes again with the negativity and cynicism about something that hasn't even happened!
    "Everyone is waiting for them to cock up the redress scheme"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

spakman wrote: »
    There he goes again with the negativity and cynicism about something that hasn't even happened!
    "Everyone is waiting for them to cock up the redress scheme"

Noticed that.

It’s Wierd how they were all lining up to take shots at the report almost as soon as it appeared.

At one point, Regina Doherty said she doesn't want to be critical of the report and those who wrote it, but has done just that. It may well be deserved (I haven't read the report) but talk about incoherent...and a bit (politically) self serving.

• Advertisement

No problem with Nevin Maguire here either. He is a sound guy and I'm sure he's under a lot of pressure with the business at the moment. I guess the question is whether we need to hear from him so often. The second hour of the show is absolute filler, just like it was when Marion presented. Tune in between 12pm and 1pm today to find out how to cook a chicken, and a review of the latest series on NetFlix.

Advertisement