Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Vested interest I’d call it....

Really? I guess we all have a vested interest in those issues that affect us. Or at least we should.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,637 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Mav11 wrote: »
    Each to his own I suppose, but it takes some courage to put your head above the parapet and express your honestly held unpopular views, knowing full well that you will probably derided and slated as an extremist or a nut job etc.

So Pat Byrne made a big issue out of why Sweden isn't on the green list - Cityjet - the company he runs - operates wet leases with......Scandinavian Airlines.....

Is that expressing your honestly held unpopular views? - I would call that a vested interest.

Infoanon wrote: »
    So Pat Byrne made a big issue out of why Sweden isn't on the green list - Cityjet - the company he runs - operates wet leases with......Scandinavian Airlines.....

Is that expressing your honestly held unpopular views? - I would call that a vested interest.

So would I.

I can’t say whether his views are held honestly or not. But as I don’t know the chap I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Really these radio shows are so forgettable five minutes after they end.

A personal view of course but BOC is a drony whiny person with zero personality. Sorry Corkies!

Really these radio shows are so forgettable five minutes after they end.

A personal view of course but BOC is a drony whiny person with zero personality. Sorry Corkies!

Seán, Seán Seán..................................Not so forgettable all the time:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

Ah never mind the facts...just that Oscar believes it to be so.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Rabbit Redux

Cole wrote: »
    Ah never mind the facts...just that Oscar believes it to be so.

"Oscar" seemed to be under the mistaken belief that the Guards provided a taxi service, and now he's teaching.......

Amazing that a (criminal) law lecturer can be so dismissive of facts and that a presenter can leave what she said unchallenged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Amazing that a (criminal) law lecturer can be so dismissive of facts and that a presenter can leave what she said unchallenged.

Sorry what was that about, is it worth listening back to?

Probably not, but it's a law lecturer who's got a podcast series about people's (all negative it seems) experiences with the Gardai. Don't expect facts though, as she's only interested in one side it seems...what the likes of Oscar thinks happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

About how the Gardai have to reformed into something of a cross between social workers and entertainers.

Earlier Brendan introduced a Cork based student whose tweet last night went viral according to Brendan, it tapped into people's souls and the zeitgeist and the weather.

Tripe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

I really enjoyed Rory O'Connor's story this morning. I love his videos. Didn't realise that he had it tough as a young lad as I always thought he was smart from the comedy. I guess you never know what is going on in somebody's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Very strange interview. I think I get the point she was trying to make but by God she made some hash of making it ... and she is a lecturer! :confused:

I would very much expect that my experience with my local Gardaí and the experience of a habitual criminal would be very dissimilar ... surely it would be very odd if it wasn't?

BTW I'd love to hear the "other" side of that Oscar story :rolleyes:

Callan57 wrote: »
    Very strange interview. I think I get the point she was trying to make but by God she made some hash of making it ... and she is a lecturer! :confused:

I think so too but, yes, she made a right mess of it...no qualification of her comments. She didn't do a lot for her own or the podcasts credibility. She ended up making something that could be interesting and insightful sound a bit ridiculous. But I thought I'd give Oscar's traumatic experience a listen.

https://tortoiseshack.ie/5-policed-in-ireland-children/

I couldn't listen beyond about halfway...so long-winded and so many times I was thinking how I'd love to hear the other side of this. Oscar's experience with the Gardai as a 15 year old after getting p1ssed up with his pals at a local disco and the horrifying police brutality he suffered...only his perspective of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Please leave off the covid talk. Please. If people dont listen to this conversation it will make no difference to their lives execpt they might be slightly less stressed. It's just so boring now. Next week there will another conversation and the same the week after and the week after that.

All we need is love...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Pat McCann sounded like a guy that they dragged in off the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭john123470

Michael's growing some mighty weed up there in Leitrim

Hard to listen to Joe Rooney singing with his old band without visualising and hearing Timmy from Killinaskully.

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Please leave off the covid talk. Please. If people dont listen to this conversation it will make no difference to their lives execpt they might be slightly less stressed. It's just so boring now. Next week there will another conversation and the same the week after and the week after that.

This thread is about the programme, your argument by extension means that Brexit / Government / Trump etc should not be mentioned when critiquing the show.

For the record one of BOCs better shows - questioning off the cuff comments by contributors is welcomed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,962 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

This thread is about the programme, your argument by extension means that Brexit / Government / Trump etc should not be mentioned when critiquing the show.

For the record one of BOCs better shows - questioning off the cuff comments by contributors is welcomed.

I read that post as a plea to the show to stop with all the Covid stuff - and I have to say I agree!

There just seem to be endless circular discussions about it on every channel (I switched on a bit before 12, and there it was on RTE, switched to Newstalk and the same-but-different discussion was happening, Lyric got put on sharpish).

At this stage you'll find someone to posit every single point of view available, and it just seems to go round and round and on and on - and still the restrictions are what they are and people are gonna do what people are gonna do.

Sorry about the mini-rant, but I just found it extra-impossible to listen to on this fabulous sunny morning :mad:

Correct, this thread is about the programme. Astute observations like that are welcomed.

I know what what my point is - I'm the one who made it. Im not sure why you have attributed other meanings to my point but I guess people interpret things differently. The above post understood my point so you are also welcome to disagree.

Correct, this thread is about the programme. Astute observations like that are welcomed.

I know what what my point is - I'm the one who made it. Im not sure why you have attributed other meanings to my point but I guess people interpret things differently. The above post understood my point so you are also welcome to disagree.

Is your point that the programme should not discuss Covid? ,
    The BOC programme is a continuation of format that has been in.place for decades and centres around the events of the week and the Sunday papers.

The notion that you leave out content because it's repetitious or stressful is a failing to see the core purpose of the programme.

Is your point that the programme should not discuss Covid? ,
    The BOC programme is a continuation of format that has been in.place for decades and centres around the events of the week and the Sunday papers.

The notion that you leave out content because it's repetitious or stressful is a failing to see the core purpose of the programme.

My point is not that the show should not discuss covid, my point was that these shows are saturated with this topic with no end in sight. It has become boring, repetitive and circular in my opinion, and as a result makes me less engaged with the show, knowing that there will be dozens more similar discussions in the weeks ahead and the weeks gone by.

Just because something has been done in a certain way for decades doesnt matter a damn to me. I want to be entertained and engaged on a Sunday morning, and am not inclined to endure something repetitive just because 'it's always been done that way.' Its frightening to think that the notion that something being in place for decades is some sort of justification for anything.

Surely the core purpose of the programme isnt to relentlessly cover repetitive and stressful topics. If so they could just broadcast the daily death count and provide plenty detailed statistics.

My point isnt that they should not cover important or difficult topics but that doing them to death, digging them up and then doing them again is repetitive, circular and boring. The notion that listeners may grow tired of a topic is failing to grasp that on a sunday morning people may just want to be engaged and entertained.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,962 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

My point is not that the show should not discuss covid, my point was that these shows are saturated with this topic with no end in sight. It has become boring, repetitive and circular in my opinion, and as a result makes me less engaged with the show, knowing that there will be dozens more similar discussions in the weeks ahead and the weeks gone by.

Just because something has been done in a certain way for decades doesnt matter a damn to me. I want to be entertained and engaged on a Sunday morning, and am not inclined to endure something repetitive just because 'it's always been done that way.' Its frightening to think that the notion that something being in place for decades is some sort of justification for anything.

Surely the core purpose of the programme isnt to relentlessly cover repetitive and stressful topics. If so they could just broadcast the daily death count and provide plenty detailed statistics.

My point isnt that they should not cover important or difficult topics but that doing them to death, digging them up and then doing them again is repetitive, circular and boring. The notion that listeners may grow tired of a topic is failing to grasp that on a sunday morning people may just want to be engaged and entertained.

Hear hear!

failing to grasp that on a sunday morning people may just want to be engaged and entertained.

Rte Radio 1 and Newstalk are not the stations for you then on a Sunday morning.

Trying to stay on topic - the JNLRS show that the BOC format is what a considerable number of listeners want to hear on a Sunday morning.

The format is repeated across the print media ,radio and television.

There is no reason to change a winning format - the choice is with the listener to move the dial.

Rte Radio 1 and Newstalk are not the stations for you then on a Sunday morning.

Trying to stay on topic - the JNLRS show that the BOC format is what a considerable number of listeners want to hear on a Sunday morning.

The format is repeated across the print media ,radio and television.

There is no reason to change a winning format - the choice is with the listener to move the dial.

I'll decide what's for me, thanks though.

Please do try to stay on topic, I only responded to points you brought up.

Not sure why you are talking about formats so much. I'm bored of listening to a topic all week and dont feel like listening to it on a sunday morning yet again. Just because other print media, radio and television stations do it, or because it has been done for decades has absolutely no bearing on my opinion whatsoever. It couldnt matter less to me. You have used the word 'format' 3 times in one post and I have outlined clearly my opinion on one specific topic. I never wanted any discussion on the format and I don't know where the wires got crossed.

Mod - ease up there folks please, keep it nice :)

I always enjoy Michael Harding, as a poster just said, the weed must be mighty in Leitrim (!) but he’s fascinating to listen to.

Anyway, his line was bad this morning, which was put down to Skype (or Sh!te, as I call it) so they stopped the conversation, and tried to get a better line. And failed miserably.

Now even allowing for the fact he’s in Leitrim (or maybe Donegal?) surely it’s not beyond the wit of man (or person) to sort out an audible connection that is better than the first one a hundred years and more ago

We’re still hearing from the Voyager probes ffs

• Advertisement

I always enjoy Michael Harding, as a poster just said, the weed must be mighty in Leitrim (!) but he’s fascinating to listen to.

Anyway, his line was bad this morning, which was put down to Skype (or Sh!te, as I call it) so they stopped the conversation, and tried to get a better line. And failed miserably.

Now even allowing for the fact he’s in Leitrim (or maybe Donegal?) surely it’s not beyond the wit of man (or person) to sort out an audible connection that is better than the first one a hundred years and more ago

We’re still hearing from the Voyager probes ffs

Does nobody have an old fashioned landline any more? Part from being a safety back up communication line in the home where one spends much time, surely somebody who communicates professionally on radio a fair bit should have one.

Advertisement