Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Local resident has a problem with the "undemocratic" apartment block on the South Link Rd.

The funny thing is at the end of the video "imagine a 17 storey apartment block" while pointing at an actual 17 storey apartment block

https://twitter.com/FionaRedFM/status/1171741245703622658

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

We have the Tánaiste and the leader of the main opposition party (propping up the Government), but a Mayor would swing things for us in Cork?
    This is the type of vague stuff that hampered those in favor of such as Mayor as the position was never clarified as to exactly what powers they would have.

It sure wasn't clear enough. The benefits that a directly elected Cork City Mayor would have brought to us are hard to articulate. But I know deep down we made the wrong decision with it. Having a person that is democratically elected to represent our city on a national basis would have done us solid.

The Tanaiste and M Martin having a constituent base here isn't enough. I expect nothing from them. Being focused on Cork issues with an absolute force would have done us the power of good.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

An actual real life NIMBY. It's grand for Mahon but no way in my back yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

marno21 wrote: »
    The funny thing is at the end of the video "imagine a 17 storey apartment block" while pointing at an actual 17 storey apartment block

https://twitter.com/FionaRedFM/status/1171741245703622658

I got a good giggle off that. Literally pointing at the 17 storey building. She could have said it will be like looking at that building there!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

shnaek wrote: »
    I was chatting one of the owners of a business on that road and they will be resurfacing it soon.

That’s good to hear, they’re doing the footpaths this week, twas too much for me - meanwhile the road is falling asunder, imagine the state of it come the winter if they don’t do it soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭snotboogie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

snotboogie wrote: »

I saw they were doing the insulation cladding on the Dean hotel all day yesterday aswell so they really are ploughing ahead if they are working full Saturdays.

And if that is true about the prism building I will know a couple of very miffed companies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Looks like another prime property going on the market shortly.

https://twitter.com/irishmailsunday/status/1173000974530535425?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭ofcork

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    I saw they were doing the insulation cladding on the Dean hotel all day yesterday aswell so they really are ploughing ahead if they are working full Saturdays.

And if that is true about the prism building I will know a couple of very miffed companies
    Didn't realise they had started building the dean hotel no tower crane there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

ofcork wrote: »
    Didn't realise they had started building the dean hotel no tower crane there?

Isnt the Dean the odd slanted building next to the train station?

• Advertisement

No the Dean hotel is planned for behind the bus station.

No the Dean hotel is planned for behind the bus station.

No The Dean Hotel is the train station one, the Parnell Place Hotel is by the bus station. Predictably the PP Hotel has gone totally silent since promising an October start after getting planning during the summer

Sorry you are right Metropole expansion gone quiet too?

Ya, like probably half a dozen other hotel developments (South Mall, Sullivans Quay, Grand Parade, Parnell Place, Morrissons Island and The M) it depends on the Events Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,429 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Ya, like probably half a dozen other hotel developments (South Mall, Sullivans Quay, Grand Parade, Parnell Place, Morrissons Island and The M) it depends on the Events Centre.
    I'd be slow to put it all down to that, there were a load all announced around the same time, they might be worried about over saturation.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rounders

Metropole was always not supposed to start until next year I'm sure

After two years of bluster and grand announcements of tall buildings, this is the first time shovels are actually in the ground for a building with a storey count in double figures since the recession:

https://twitter.com/CISireland/status/1174275274629885954?s=20

Hopefully the Coca Cola site is to follow very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭opus

After two years of bluster and grand announcements of tall buildings, this is the first time shovels are actually in the ground for a building with a storey count in double figures since the recession:

Wow, now I'll have to take a cycle by there after work to have a look!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

opus wrote: »
    Wow, now I'll have to take a cycle by there after work to have a look!

Just walked by a few minutes ago - a few vans and cars in the old carpark. If they've left by the time you get there then you aren't going to see any changes.

Hopefully a wall or something will get knocked before the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭Apogee

https://twitter.com/CISireland/status/1174275274629885954?s=20

Hopefully the Coca Cola site is to follow very soon.

Remarkable, given the level of demand, why these student accommodation projects seem to be so slow to start after receiving planning approval.

polaris68 wrote: »
    Just walked by a few minutes ago - a few vans and cars in the old carpark. If they've left by the time you get there then you aren't going to see any changes.

Hopefully a wall or something will get knocked before the weekend.

Yup it was quite the anti-climax, didn't notice a single change. Will give it a few days to get going properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Were ye expecting half a lift shaft already or something??? Give it a couple of months anyway lads.

I suppose we'd be able to notice some activity? CIS have been wrong on this site many times before but it was always "Work starting in March/June/August" rather than work has actually begun now. If they are right we'll surely notice something over the next few weeks.

CHealy wrote: »
    Were ye expecting half a lift shaft already or something??? Give it a couple of months anyway lads.

No I just was hoping to see something (anything!) that showed work had started. After all remember this from back in the day :)

CqGRZktWAAABwZe?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I pass it most mornings so I’ll keep an eye out. Nothing of note has changed this week anyway. I wouldn’t expect to see massive change this quick though.

“Car park” on the Carrigrohane side was full again this morning

Whats being built by the car park on grattan street.

• Advertisement

Great to hear this!

https://twitter.com/KarlDiskin/status/1176133536635609090

This is the site currently.

491495.jpg

Advertisement