Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

namloc1980 wrote: »
    mainMediaSize=537x291_type=image_publish=true_x0=15.83_y0=14.49_x1=85.83_y1=85.51_format=1.7777777777777777__image.jpg

A bit jarring. Could've made a bit more effort to be sympathetic with the existing structures.

it looks like it was designed after a night of smoking and drinking. I am dizzy looking at it

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

D'Agger wrote: »
    Normally I roll my eyes when pretty much every building design shared on here gets slated for having too much glass etc......but that is one awful looking building, who the fúck 'designed' that?!

I'm the same, I usually like here what a lot of people don't. I don't mind glass and steel too much. The design for Morrison's Island is very uninspired.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I love that somebody stood back after having worked on the drawing for ages and thought: "Nailed it!".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

namloc1980 wrote: »
    mainMediaSize=537x291_type=image_publish=true_x0=15.83_y0=14.49_x1=85.83_y1=85.51_format=1.7777777777777777__image.jpg

A bit jarring. Could've made a bit more effort to be sympathetic with the existing structures.

Atrocious looking. I mean how significant are those buildings that they have to be protected. They’re not exactly limestone facades or anything. They should be left bulldoze the block and start from scratch and build something at least 10 storey.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Atrocious looking. I mean how significant are those buildings that they have to be protected. They’re not exactly limestone facades or anything. They should left bulldoze the block and start from scratch and something at least 10 storey.

Is that where George Boole's house is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Is that where George Boole's house is?

Boole’s house is over by the Mercy opposite North Mall. This development is on Morrison’s island just up from the school of Commerce.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Boole’s house is over by the Mercy opposite North Mall. This development is on Morrison’s island just up from the school of Commerce.

Ah, cheers.
    I completely identified the location incorrectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Atrocious looking. I mean how significant are those buildings that they have to be protected. They’re not exactly limestone facades or anything. They should be left bulldoze the block and start from scratch and build something at least 10 storey.

I also cant see why those buildings are protected either, but working with the fact that they are could they not have done more with it? Having the existing roof of those buildings sunked down into the square buildings they are building all around is really crap. Even if you have to leave the old roof could you build up around it sympathetically.

God help us even the Events centre design made some fist of doing that -

Putting this

https://www.google.com/search?safe=strict&rlz=1C1ZKTG_en__862__862&biw=1920&bih=969&tbm=isch&sxsrf=ACYBGNTgW4n6TDPUJM1lvltrbShtJA5qsA%3A1570199979616&sa=1&ei=q1mXXauaJYyP8gK87IwI&q=cork+event+centre&oq=cork+event+centre&gs_l=img.3..0j0i24l3.5860.7528..7801...0.0..0.97.1351.17......0....1..gws-wiz-img.......35i39j0i67j0i8i30j0i10i24.jWrhGAjSmUk&ved=0ahUKEwjrm4vg6oLlAhWMh1wKHTw2AwEQ4dUDCAc&uact=5#imgrc=CcC5vY3HH6QjHM:

into this

https://www.google.com/search?safe=strict&rlz=1C1ZKTG_en__862__862&biw=1920&bih=969&tbm=isch&sxsrf=ACYBGNTgW4n6TDPUJM1lvltrbShtJA5qsA%3A1570199979616&sa=1&ei=q1mXXauaJYyP8gK87IwI&q=cork+event+centre&oq=cork+event+centre&gs_l=img.3..0j0i24l3.5860.7528..7801...0.0..0.97.1351.17......0....1..gws-wiz-img.......35i39j0i67j0i8i30j0i10i24.jWrhGAjSmUk&ved=0ahUKEwjrm4vg6oLlAhWMh1wKHTw2AwEQ4dUDCAc&uact=5#imgrc=8osc18mXcr1UdM:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

That Morrison's Island development is one of the worst designs for any Cork building I've see in a long, long time. No redeeming features. So bad it must be deliberate. Wonder what the strategy is?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Did they make the render in Minecraft ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Roads update Q3 2019:

N8/N25/N40 Dunkettle Interchange: Due to a failure to agree a price for Phase 2 of this project, the scheme has been retendered by TII. The project will now commence works in mid 2020, with an estimated price tag of €120m. In the meantime, significant advance works including major utility diversions will continue, and work will begin in February 2020 on the freeflow left turn slip between the N8 Tivoli DC outbound to the M8 Dublin Road northbound. Sectional openings of some of the freeflow links will occur in 2022 and the main construction works will be complete by the end of 2023.

M20 Cork-Limerick & M40 North Ring Road East: Consultants have now been appointed to carry this project through Phases 1-4 of TII's Project Management Guidelines (feasibility/project scope, route selection, design & EIS, statutory process) The Department of Public Expenditure and Reform announced in Sept that this scheme is expected to start in 2021 and open in 2025, however this appears extremely ambitious. Based on current projects going through the process, it is envisaged that the M20 will open in approx. 11-13 years (2030-2032). According to CMATS, a link from the M20 at Killeens to the M8 at Glanmire will be assessed as part of the M20 scheme, however the delivery of this link (the North Ring) is not guaranteed at this stage.

N22 Macroom-Ballyvourney: According to a reliable source, the project has been awarded to a Jons/Craddock JV and will be officially announced shortly. The project will enter the construction phase in Q4 2019 with a three year build envisaged. It has been suggested officially that the section of this scheme bypassing Macroom may open before the rest of the scheme.

N25 Carrigtwohill-Midleton: This project is included in the National Development Plan having been suspended in 2011. Consultants are being sought at present to advance this project through Phases 1-4 of TII's Project Management Guidelines. Due to its smaller nature, and having the scope of the project already defined from the older scheme with little opportunity for change, this project may be advanced quicker than the rest of them.

M28 Cork-Ringaskiddy: This project was approved in full by An Bord Pleanala in July 2018, however is currently in the High Court. A decision on whether or not to quash planning permission has been deferred until October.

M40 Motorway Reclassification and ITS Upgrade: Contractors are currently on site installing gantries along the N40 and approach roads. Many of the gantries are now complete, with works now focusing on gantry bases at N40 Togher eastbound, N28 Maryborough northbound, N40 Bloomfield eastbound. Fabrication of the steel gantries themselves is currently ongoing offsite with installation at the first completed bases expected shortly. Jacobs and TII are currently advancing a motorway reclassification study for the N40 which will be published in due course.

R624 Cobh Road dualling: Cork County Council are applying to DTTAS to have this road upgraded to a national road and a portion of dual carriageway built along its length which will involve the construction of a 2nd dual carriageway bridge onto Great Island. The project will be initially appraised under DTTAS new appraisal guidelines, with no timescale yet for delivery.

R630 upgrade: It is a short/medium term goal for Cork County Council to upgrade the R630 between Whitegate and the N25 at Lakeview. This was reinforced in the CMATS publication however no actual plan has been published. It is also an objective of Cork County Council to redesignate the road as a national secondary road, which would make it eligible for TII funding. However the lack of funding for the much busier N71 doesn't lend much hope to this objective being fruitful.

Suspended:

N22 Macroom-Ovens: This overcapacity mess first had a route selected by Cork County Council and the NRA in 2002. Since then there has been no progress on the scheme and what work was done has to be scrapped. In 2018, in planning for the National Development Plan, TII identified the road as having a high rate of head on collisions, but the road was omitted from the investment plan. It is currently suspended until at least 2022.

N25 Midleton-Youghal (bypassing Castlemartyr/Killeagh): TII findings in 2018 show that this stretch of road has sufficient capacity until at least 2030. It remains suspended and no work this side of 2030 is currently envisaged.

N27 N40-Cork Airport: TII flagged this route as operating at >120% of capacity in 2018 but have no plans to do anything about that. CMATS plans bus lanes between the N40 and Cork Airport in both directions.

M40 North Ring Road West: The project was mentioned in CMATS as a long term strategic goal with no implementation plan. The project remains a priority for TII due to congestion along the corridor but there is a severe lack of will to advance the project. It will be costly due to terrain which is another stumbling block.

N71: The N71 remains the busiest national secondary road in the country, with close to 30,000 vehicles per day approaching the N40. It remains with no upgrade plan, bar a plan to extend the half baked Bandon relief road. It is worth noting that the N71 at Bishopstown is carrying THREE times the capacity of the road, with traffic volumes meriting motorway as far as at least Halfway with dual carriageway from there to west of Bandon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭cantalach

Did Boole have multiple homes? I'd always thought his house was Lichfield Cottage on the Blackrock Road. That's certainly where I bring visiting work colleagues on "pilgrimage" (tech company!). Just found this IT article from a few years back which seems to agree:

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/boolean-logic-meets-victorian-gothic-in-leafy-cork-suburb-1.2277521

• Registered Users Posts: 21,205 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think he lived by the Mercy Hospital first.

marno21 wrote: »
    Roads update Q3 2019:

N8/N25/N40 Dunkettle Interchange: Due to a failure to agree a price for Phase 2 of this project, the scheme has been retendered by TII. The project will now commence works in mid 2020, with an estimated price tag of €120m. In the meantime, significant advance works including major utility diversions will continue, and work will begin in February 2020 on the freeflow left turn slip between the N8 Tivoli DC outbound to the M8 Dublin Road northbound. Sectional openings of some of the freeflow links will occur in 2022 and the main construction works will be complete by the end of 2023.

M20 Cork-Limerick & M40 North Ring Road East: Consultants have now been appointed to carry this project through Phases 1-4 of TII's Project Management Guidelines (feasibility/project scope, route selection, design & EIS, statutory process) The Department of Public Expenditure and Reform announced in Sept that this scheme is expected to start in 2021 and open in 2025, however this appears extremely ambitious. Based on current projects going through the process, it is envisaged that the M20 will open in approx. 11-13 years (2030-2032). According to CMATS, a link from the M20 at Killeens to the M8 at Glanmire will be assessed as part of the M20 scheme, however the delivery of this link (the North Ring) is not guaranteed at this stage.

N22 Macroom-Ballyvourney: According to a reliable source, the project has been awarded to a Jons/Craddock JV and will be officially announced shortly. The project will enter the construction phase in Q4 2019 with a three year build envisaged. It has been suggested officially that the section of this scheme bypassing Macroom may open before the rest of the scheme.

N25 Carrigtwohill-Midleton: This project is included in the National Development Plan having been suspended in 2011. Consultants are being sought at present to advance this project through Phases 1-4 of TII's Project Management Guidelines. Due to its smaller nature, and having the scope of the project already defined from the older scheme with little opportunity for change, this project may be advanced quicker than the rest of them.

M28 Cork-Ringaskiddy: This project was approved in full by An Bord Pleanala in July 2018, however is currently in the High Court. A decision on whether or not to quash planning permission has been deferred until October.

M40 Motorway Reclassification and ITS Upgrade: Contractors are currently on site installing gantries along the N40 and approach roads. Many of the gantries are now complete, with works now focusing on gantry bases at N40 Togher eastbound, N28 Maryborough northbound, N40 Bloomfield eastbound. Fabrication of the steel gantries themselves is currently ongoing offsite with installation at the first completed bases expected shortly. Jacobs and TII are currently advancing a motorway reclassification study for the N40 which will be published in due course.

R624 Cobh Road dualling: Cork County Council are applying to DTTAS to have this road upgraded to a national road and a portion of dual carriageway built along its length which will involve the construction of a 2nd dual carriageway bridge onto Great Island. The project will be initially appraised under DTTAS new appraisal guidelines, with no timescale yet for delivery.

R630 upgrade: It is a short/medium term goal for Cork County Council to upgrade the R630 between Whitegate and the N25 at Lakeview. This was reinforced in the CMATS publication however no actual plan has been published. It is also an objective of Cork County Council to redesignate the road as a national secondary road, which would make it eligible for TII funding. However the lack of funding for the much busier N71 doesn't lend much hope to this objective being fruitful.

Suspended:

N22 Macroom-Ovens: This overcapacity mess first had a route selected by Cork County Council and the NRA in 2002. Since then there has been no progress on the scheme and what work was done has to be scrapped. In 2018, in planning for the National Development Plan, TII identified the road as having a high rate of head on collisions, but the road was omitted from the investment plan. It is currently suspended until at least 2022.

N25 Midleton-Youghal (bypassing Castlemartyr/Killeagh): TII findings in 2018 show that this stretch of road has sufficient capacity until at least 2030. It remains suspended and no work this side of 2030 is currently envisaged.

N27 N40-Cork Airport: TII flagged this route as operating at >120% of capacity in 2018 but have no plans to do anything about that. CMATS plans bus lanes between the N40 and Cork Airport in both directions.

M40 North Ring Road West: The project was mentioned in CMATS as a long term strategic goal with no implementation plan. The project remains a priority for TII due to congestion along the corridor but there is a severe lack of will to advance the project. It will be costly due to terrain which is another stumbling block.

N71: The N71 remains the busiest national secondary road in the country, with close to 30,000 vehicles per day approaching the N40. It remains with no upgrade plan, bar a plan to extend the half baked Bandon relief road. It is worth noting that the N71 at Bishopstown is carrying THREE times the capacity of the road, with traffic volumes meriting motorway as far as at least Halfway with dual carriageway from there to west of Bandon.

i will comment on this as i am familiar with it

This is no way near accurate. absolute gridlock in peak times making the rat run through rural roads heavier. Lakeview, Castlemartyr and Killeagh are disasters.

Forget making them dual carriageways, just put in a flyover at lakeview, bypass castlemartyr and killeagh and sort the dunkettle.

Also fine the fast and SLOW drivers, was on the castlemartyr to midleton road on the 100km section and stuck behind someone going 70 the whole way. No problem with that but pull into the hard shoulder and let other people pass

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

i will comment on this as i am familiar with it

This is no way near accurate. absolute gridlock in peak times making the rat run through rural roads heavier. Lakeview, Castlemartyr and Killeagh are disasters.

Forget making them dual carriageways, just put in a flyover at lakeview, bypass castlemartyr and killeagh and sort the dunkettle.

Also fine the fast and SLOW drivers, was on the castlemartyr to midleton road on the 100km section and stuck behind someone going 70 the whole way. No problem with that but pull into the hard shoulder and let other people pass

It is indeed highly inaccurate. But it’s whats down on the report that informed what schemes were put on the investment plan - so it’s how it’ll be.

The traffic volumes going through Castlemartyr and Killeagh are so high that simple bypasses aren’t sufficient to solve the problems. The only workable solution is motorway grade road all the way to Youghal, bypassing the two villages. The biggest issue for this scheme to me will be Lakeview - space is a major issue there and it’ll be hard to grade separate the junction without demolition. Leaving it as a roundabout is not an option though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

cantalach wrote: »
    Did Boole have multiple homes? I'd always thought his house was Lichfield Cottage on the Blackrock Road. That's certainly where I bring visiting work colleagues on "pilgrimage" (tech company!). Just found this IT article from a few years back which seems to agree:

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/boolean-logic-meets-victorian-gothic-in-leafy-cork-suburb-1.2277521

Out of sheer concidence I walked past the house opposite the North Mall this afternoon and stopped to read the plaque. It says that he lived there from 1849 -> 1855. He probably lived in a few locations around the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭cantalach

Water John wrote: »
    I think he lived by the Mercy Hospital first.

Oh. He must have had 10 homes so: that one and the one in Blackrock.

I'll get my coat...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,380 ✭✭✭Shedite27

It is indeed highly inaccurate. But it’s whats down on the report that informed what schemes were put on the investment plan - so it’s how it’ll be.

The traffic volumes going through Castlemartyr and Killeagh are so high that simple bypasses aren’t sufficient to solve the problems. The only workable solution is motorway grade road all the way to Youghal, bypassing the two villages. The biggest issue for this scheme to me will be Lakeview - space is a major issue there and it’ll be hard to grade separate the junction without demolition. Leaving it as a roundabout is not an option though
    I suspect the volumes appear far more than they actually are when you're stuck queuing at a red light.

I'd say the volume is there for a national road bypass not sure it needs a motorway unfortunately, certainly not ahead of Cork-Limerick.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I suspect the volumes appear far more than they actually are when you're stuck queuing at a red light.

I'd say the volume is there for a national road bypass not sure it needs a motorway unfortunately, certainly not ahead of Cork-Limerick.

Daily traffic volumes between Midleton and Castlemartyr are 17.6k. Single carriageway with hard shoulders reaches capacity at 11k, Type 2 dual carriageway (the next type below motorway) tops out at 20k.

The reason Castlemartyr isn’t a total logjam is you have Dunkettle and Lakeview acting as traffic calming measures. Remove Dunkettle (from the tunnel side) and the worst congestion moves eastwards.

For reference, traffic on the N20 is 17.7k south of Mallow, 10k between Charleville and Buttevant and 15k just south of the M20 north of Croom

• Registered Users Posts: 9,380 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Daily traffic volumes between Midleton and Castlemartyr are 17.6k. Single carriageway with hard shoulders reaches capacity at 11k, Type 2 dual carriageway (the next type below motorway) tops out at 20k.

The reason Castlemartyr isn’t a total logjam is you have Dunkettle and Lakeview acting as traffic calming measures. Remove Dunkettle (from the tunnel side) and the worst congestion moves eastwards.

For reference, traffic on the N20 is 17.7k south of Mallow, 10k between Charleville and Buttevant and 15k just south of the M20 north of Croom

Thanks, what happened with the TII report so? Did they measure it on a slow day? I realise by your posts you seem to have some inside knowledge, just wondering why TII don't have access to same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

Spotted this at the junction of Blarney St & Strawberry Hill.
    Permission for the demolition of an existing garage/shed structure and the construction of 16 no. residential units at the site with frontage with Strawberry Hill and Blarney Street, Cork. The proposed development consists of the construction of 2 no. 3 bedroom semi detached dwelling houses, 8 no. 2 bedroom apartment/duplex units and 6 no. 1 bedroom apartment units and all ancillary site development works including bicycle parking facilities, landscaping and servicing proposals. Vehicular access to the proposed development will be provided via a new entrance from Strawberry Hill.

492508.png

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

cantalach wrote: »
    Oh. He must have had 10 homes so: that one and the one in Blackrock.

I'll get my coat...

If only Boole had got his...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Not sure it's worth doing an update this quarter, it's been an incredibly quiet 3 months. I'll have a look over the weekend and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Anyone know what the purpose of the large drilling machine is over by the old dump? Is that related to the Traffic-Information gantries or unrelated?

Anyone know what the purpose of the large drilling machine is over by the old dump? Is that related to the Traffic-Information gantries or unrelated?

Another traffic information gantry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Cork-traffic-woes-Even-minor-accidents-are-clogging-up-the-whole-city-at-this-point-e9dd732b-5f5b-4bd9-af17-6b9a92bd7ccf-ds

Jerry Buttimer talking out of both sides of his mouth:

Senator Jerry Buttimer said today's incident is a ‘wake-up call’ for struggling Cork traffic infrastructure and has called for the Dunkettle Interchange project to be sped up.

“This highlights the real need to have the Dunkettle Interchange project expedited and there is now an urgency that all involved can’t deny — given what happened on Thursday morning and it happens on a regular basis now,” said Mr Buttimer.

Pro Dunkettle whilst Anti M28 or in other words, push the congestion to the other side of the city where I don't have to worry about votes.

Also another quote by the 'expert' in UCC who thinks any investment in high capacity roads aren't needed.

If we followed his plan, we'd have 5 empty buses arriving together at the same time rather than the usual 3, as the infrastructure needs to be there before any effective public transport system has even half a chance of making a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭ofcork

Those buildings look exactly the same I assume that was planned

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Also another quote by the 'expert' in UCC who thinks any investment in high capacity roads aren't needed.

If we followed his plan, we'd have 5 empty buses arriving together at the same time rather than the usual 3, as the infrastructure needs to be there before any effective public transport system has even half a chance of making a difference.

I understand where you're coming from, but there can be a happy medium between "no more roads" and "no public transport infrastructure improvements without more roads".

There are lots of ways we could improve sustainable infrastructure quickly and cheaply, but the NTA are currently very focused on things like "business cases" for public transport.

We all know about the necessary road projects like the M20 and M28, but I can't think of any approved sustainable transport infrastructure spends that come anywhere near the money being spent on these. In fact I can't think of any sustainable transport infrastructure spends in the Cork area whatsoever outside of the Ballybrack scheme, whereas I can think of literally tens of minor roads schemes progressed and progressing this year to improve the lot of private motorists. So we're currently weighted totally towards roads and there definitely needs to be a re-balance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭snotboogie

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Cork-traffic-woes-Even-minor-accidents-are-clogging-up-the-whole-city-at-this-point-e9dd732b-5f5b-4bd9-af17-6b9a92bd7ccf-ds

Jerry Buttimer talking out of both sides of his mouth:

Pro Dunkettle whilst Anti M28 or in other words, push the congestion to the other side of the city where I don't have to worry about votes.

Agree on Buttimer but empty buses? Where in Cork City are you? We need bus connects more than any road imo

Advertisement