Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

I saw work being done on the broken hole building next to centra on oliver plunett street today. Will be good to see a pretty grotty mark on the street getting fixed up

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

bingo9999 wrote: »
    I saw work being done on the broken hole building next to centra on oliver plunett street today. Will be good to see a pretty grotty mark on the street getting fixed up

Jeez, the cork developments thread has reduced in scope somewhat :)

Meursault wrote: »

Haha fair, fair..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭snotboogie

bingo9999 wrote: »
    Haha fair, fair..

If it's large scope your after, a decision on the Customs House is due in the next few days and Councilors have been talking about a new apartment development that is so out of keeping with existing streetscape it could be on the moon! which I assume is the Marquee site.

https://twitter.com/mickfinn01/status/1176484753551319040?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1176484753551319040&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.skyscrapercity.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D305784%26page%3D76

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

snotboogie wrote: »
    If it's large scope your after, a decision on the Customs House is due in the next few days and Councilors have been talking about a new apartment development that is so out of keeping with existing streetscape it could be on the moon! which I assume is the Marquee site.

https://twitter.com/mickfinn01/status/1176484753551319040?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1176484753551319040&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.skyscrapercity.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D305784%26page%3D76

Good to hear. Aren't we expecting some planning news on the Event Centre also?

Hopefully there will be some positive news in the coming days so....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Meursault wrote: »

FFS. I really liked the broken hole building. One of the few broken hole buildings left in the city.

Greedy developers. Coming over here, taking our broken holes.

Further information requested on the POC tower by CCC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

2 years of negotiations, excellent renders, information days etc held. Still need more info.. what else do they need??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

snotboogie wrote: »
    Further information requested on the POC tower by CCC

What are they looking for?

What are they looking for?

Not released yet as far as i've seen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/developers-of-corks-custom-house-quay-asked-to-justify-34-storey-height-953238.html

Seems to be a few bits - visual impact, natural impact, maritime history and the small matter of fire safety...

Visual impact? How many more renders and views can they make???

That is a far more serious request for information than expected. I'd be genuinely worried about this being turned down now. Remember that Cork City Council wanted to refuse Penrose Dock before Pat Ledwidge interviened. This could be his absence being felt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

What an absolute farce. The city council were two years in talks with the developers. The height was scaled down to 34 floors and now they’re being asked to justify the height.

This is Only Fools and Horses stuff. How the hell is the city to progress with these clowns in charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

If you expected one of the largest, most significant developments in the history of the city being waved through without a few changes, you were deluding yourself. It isn't (and it shouldn't be) a free for all for developers.
    I really like the proposal by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

If you expected one of the largest, most significant developments in the history of the city being waved through without a few changes, you were deluding yourself. It isn't (and it shouldn't be) a free for all for developers.
    I really like the proposal by the way!

But what was going on during the two year consultation that they now have to be asking stupid crap like is access going to be available for Meitheal Mara for the pontoon.......which could be relocated anywhere.

They’re harping on about height when the Minister scrapped height restrictions.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

If it's blocked on height can they surely not appeal to ABP and let it be approved then?

If this gets rejected, I would be absolutely incandescent if I was Tower Holdings, given the work they've put into the planning to date and all the pre-planning consultations. I mean it would be scandalous if all that went to waste given the amount of work they have put into this project in good faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

I wouldn’t get too excited about it, ultimately this is a list of clarifications sought from several sources, not a consensus on all points, and one would have expected most of these given recent comments from some local politicians (particularly the pontoon etc).

It’s an opportunity to address some concerns, and the height thing is probably just chancers.

The point on fire safety seems valid, they’ll probably have to sacrifice some space, move plant around etc and have fire escapes open out externally. If the escapes don’t have capacity for proposed roof top restaurants, this can similarly be addressed with a new fire capacity and/or taking more space for the stair wells. Fire consultation is normal for any big fit out.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Slight overreactions here methinks.

Sometimes you see a RFI which are 'project killers'. This is not one of those. However it is quite tricky and I suspect it highlights the different strands of thinking in city hall on this project.

It may be overt reaction but it is a bit ridiculous. Two years of talks with the council, brand new design and incorporating use of other buildings, told to lower height slightly and they did and then they are asked to justify the height they were told to make it? This is more a city council backing themselves up for future reasons I think so nobody can say “you didn’t do this”. Just hope it could have been planned between them and they already have a response possibly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Patrick 1959

If the builders have to walk away from this build then watt happens to the Prisim. This area around both of these builds can be dangerous enough at night, and these developments will bring a fantastic buzz and huge footfall to this area of the City 24/7. If not How long before the “ fire “”?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

The full document has been uploaded to the planning website now if anyone wants a closer look.

http://planning.corkcity.ie/AppFileRefDetails/1938589/0

• Registered Users Posts: 9,440 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I particularly enjoyed two adjacent points in one objection. Not enough parking spaces, and it will bring too much traffic to the area. More spaces wouldn't help that!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

TheChizler wrote: »
    I particularly enjoyed two adjacent points in one objection. Not enough parking spaces, and it will bring too much traffic to the area. More spaces wouldn't help that!

That's brilliant.
    It's going to take a long, long time to change the car mindset.

But what was going on during the two year consultation that they now have to be asking stupid crap like is access going to be available for Meitheal Mara for the pontoon.......which could be relocated anywhere.
    But clearly the pontoon question wasnt clarified in the proposal. The city council has an obligation to ask these awkward questions. Ig is required to have a broader view than building this as quickly as possible.

It may be overt reaction but it is a bit ridiculous. Two years of talks with the council, brand new design and incorporating use of other buildings, told to lower height slightly and they did and then they are asked to justify the height they were told to make it?

Two years of talks but the council has no control over the detail of what is finally submitted. It has to go through it methodically. Cant assume the developer has dine the right thing in all cases. Otherwise, why have a planning system at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

But clearly the pontoon question wasnt clarified in the proposal. The city council has an obligation to ask these awkward questions. Ig is required to have a broader view than building this as quickly as possible.

Careful.
    That kind of talk will have you labelled as "anti progress".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

I think they should just leave the port of cork zone as it is. Its beautiful. Who do they think they are wanting to invest millions in rejuvenating the area. Disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Italix

Anyone know what places are being considered for the new hospital?
    I've heard Sarsfield Court, which I think would be a great spot.

• Advertisement

Would a site off Centre Park Road (maybe in OCP's newly purchased landbank) cement the development of that area, requiring bridges and infra to kick it off nicely on a fairly brownfield site? Maybe not big enough for what a hospital needs (I am no expert on any of this), just spitballing

Advertisement