Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

350125GO! wrote: »
    I remember a different one (white background) looking older and quite shabby before replacement. EDIT: In fact I don't think the previous one even said "Port of Cork" I think it said "CORK PORT".
    A true loss to the City that we lost that historic sign.... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭mrpdap

Hold the fvck on: Is this the crappy sign you are talking about? A few scaffold poles and small plain sign?
    489901.JPG
    If so... Oh FFS

Yes, that’s it.
    Love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭kuro2k

What year was it put there? 1960? Historic or 1800s historic :rolleyes:.... Its no Hollywood sign....

Original sign went up for the Cutty Sark tail ship visit to Cork in 1991, piece of junk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Has it occurred to Oliver Moran of the Green Party that the sign will be obstructing the view from the glass fronted Micro Brewery. I have no problem either way with it but it can easily be relocated down between the Shandon boat club and the old ESB station.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Some amount of fuss because a few people like a sign that some other people don't!

• Advertisement

No, because some people see it as a grounds to hamper a real development. It's small, tacky, and new.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I like the idea of a sign but not that sign.

I like the idea of a sign but not that sign.

Agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

How about a new sign, one that doesn't look like shít?

I'd be all for that or some cool looking monument to greet people coming into the city.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Some updates from Cork today:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/construction-industry-slam-depressing-delivery-of-munsters-major-roads-projects-948294.html

Dunkettle Interchange was tendered today; should start in 10/12 months time.
    M20 2027 completion date is a "serious challenge", costs expected to go beyond €850/900m
    M28 judgement expected in October, if TII/CCC win they expect to start around late 2023/early 2024.
    N22 tenders being assessed with award shortly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

How about a new sign, one that doesn't look like shít?

I'd be all for that or some cool looking monument to greet people coming into the city.
    There's one, but it's a bit small, and not an ideal location.

There's one, but it's a bit small, and not an ideal location.

I've always liked that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

A giant statue of Michael Collins straddling the Lee where the sign used to be would be cool. Like Cork's version of The Colossus of Rhodes.

COLOSSUS-OF-RHODES-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭Apogee

snotboogie wrote: »
    https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Cork-is-a-blank-canvas-for-tall-buildings-say-developers-of-New-York-skyscrapers-0db8d425-a175-4130-bf24-51b980e1bcd7-ds

These developments really are bizarre, I suppose it's good that they are still courting media attention but bad there is no mention of a start date for the Prism.
    The developers of the Prism Building in Cork say they expect to be on-site at the development before the end of the year.

Conor Lee, director of operations with Tower Holdings in Ireland, confirmed that the company is set to go to tender for the project within the next few weeks and is optimistic that construction could commence before the end of 2019.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/prism-skyscraper-developers-hope-to-begin-construction-this-year-948291.html

A giant statue of Michael Collins straddling the Lee where the sign used to be would be cool. Like Cork's version of The Colossus of Rhodes.

COLOSSUS-OF-RHODES-1.jpg

Get it done!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Get it done!!

So will it have 1 foot in black rock and the other in tívoli..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    So will it have 1 foot in black rock and the other in tívoli..

Train station and docklands?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭Apogee

Article on Atkins 5.5 acres farm machinery site on Carrigrohane Rd under negotiation.
    Now many moves are afoot for the private, family-owned farm machinery business Atkins, including the proposed sale of the company’s highly valuable 5.5 acres on Carrigrohane Road. That Leeside site is in active negotiation, for residential/apartment development, possibly aimed at student apartments, or co-living spaces.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/property/135-year-old-seed-and-farm-machinery-company-atkins-set-for-bountiful-property-harvest-948350.html

Fvck Co-living spaces, outside student apartments. Fvck it right into illegal status

Fvck Co-living spaces, outside student apartments. Fvck it right into illegal status

Why?
    If there is no demand, people won't rent them.
    If there is, people will.

We need a multifaceted approach to housing. There is no one solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It suits some people, why not allow people to create a product for that market? I am of course not saying to make it the norm or force it on anyone.

I've always liked that

Never liked that sculpture.

*awaits backlash for having the wrong opinion*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

I actually like both of them, probably the sculpture more than the sign if you pushed me to choose :)

See the prism development is going to kick off in the near future.
    THE “unique” design of the Prism building could be replicated on small sites across the city and country, its developers have said, as they revealed they plan to be on-site in the coming weeks.

Construction on the 140 metre, 15-storey tower is slated to begin by the end of the year with tenders being issued in the coming weeks.

Prism development could be replicated in other city locations

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

opus wrote: »
    See the prism development is going to kick off in the near future.
    It'll be interesting to see how they tackle it. Not much room on that site for pile-driving equipment or a crane! They'll have to take over part of Deane St. for construction surely.

I really like that sculpture but if someone told me that it would need to go, to allow for a better road layout there, damn well I would support it being removed.

There is nothing wrong with liking something, or having another opinion, but getting bent out of shape because your opinion is challenged and playing all passive? Come on, we're meant to be above that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Apogee wrote: »

Any news at all on the other two sites close by, Coca Cola and the Crows Nest? both were due to have started by now.

Why?
    If there is no demand, people won't rent them.
    If there is, people will.

We need a multifaceted approach to housing. There is no one solution.

There is only demand for that because there is nothing else.
    It is barely a step above a bedsit

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭vinnie_cork

There is only demand for that because there is nothing else.
    It is barely a step above a bedsit
    Lots of non nationals living here in Cork would love that type of living, a chance to live in the city and mix with others, co living is not aimed at the family looking for 3 bedrooms and room for a trampoline out the garden, its for people whom may only be here for work in a new city on their own and no car. They have little interest in living in suburbia in a 3 bed house share.

Lots of non nationals living here in Cork would love that type of living, a chance to live in the city and mix with others, co living is not aimed at the family looking for 3 bedrooms and room for a trampoline out the garden, its for people whom may only be here for work in a new city on their own and no car. They have little interest in living in suburbia in a 3 bed house share.

Oh so a ghetto, right got ya.

Or we could build one bedroom apartment blocks to cover these needs and not try to sell them to young couples as long term homes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭vinnie_cork

Oh so a ghetto, right got ya.

Or we could build one bedroom apartment blocks to cover these needs and not try to sell them to young couples as long term homes.

Look at rent of a decent one room bed apartment in city, not suburbia....., €1200 pm, if a co share was €700pm many will opt for that. Tenements or Ghettos are not being proposed. The old bedsits are going because rented standards have improved and many unsuitable conversions of old houses into 6 flats are now being converted back into houses thus causing a lack of cheaper rental units.

The Math to why 1 bed apartments are not being built.....

(Build cost for apt is circa €2350per m2 right now) say a small 65m2 apt is €152,750, add on site cost of say €100,000 per apt if in city center, add on development contributions and levies by local authorities, that's up to €275,000 for a 1 bed apartment, for a landlord to buy and rent that out to generate a yield of say 7% before maintenance and taxes (income and LPT) and management companies often €1400 a year, add mortgage interest repayment, and wear and tear on kitchen, bathroom, carpets, so that's a rent of €1,604 pm to cover it. And don't forget if they sell the unit they are liable for capital gains taxes, thats why I am suggesting a 7% yield.

This is why rents are high. I'm not a landlord nor have any desire to become one, but people give out about greedy landlords and wonder why many are selling out. Do the math, thats the reason.

Advertisement