Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Frederick Clinton Quimby

Aldi going into the Douglas cinema site. Just what we needed ... another bloody supermarket. Various planners have created an unholy hodgepodge here. Douglas village is a dreadful place that's best to be avoided or get in and get out as quick as the traffic will allow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Aldi going into the Douglas cinema site. Just what we needed ... another bloody supermarket. Various planners have created an unholy hodgepodge here. Douglas village is a dreadful place that's best to be avoided or get in and get out as quick as the traffic will allow.
    Douglas is lovely for the locals. If you're looking for a shopping centre you can drive to, Wilton, Bishopstown Court or Mahon are handier. Leave the car behind and you'll enjoy Douglas more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Italix wrote: »
    Anyone know what places are being considered for the new hospital?
    I've heard Sarsfield Court, which I think would be a great spot.

They have a heap of land there for a hospital but the roads wouldn’t be great for the volume of traffic unless the north ring road could be built in tandem. Other ideal places would be Tivoli docks when the Port go to Ringaskiddy or the old container terminal in North Esk. Both locations are right next to the main thoroughfare and also the train line so a station could easily be built cutting down the need for too much traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

They have a heap of land there for a hospital but the roads wouldn’t be great for the volume of traffic unless the north ring road could be built in tandem. Other ideal places would be Tivoli docks when the Port go to Ringaskiddy or the old container terminal in North Esk. Both locations are right next to the main thoroughfare and also the train line so a station could easily be built cutting down the need for too much traffic.

That's a really interesting idea about Tivoli and North Esk. I wonder if Tivoli is 'too good' a site? As in, it has amazing credentials as a sustainable residential location. Would it be a waste to use much of it as a hospital?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rounders

mire wrote: »
    That's a really interesting idea about Tivoli and North Esk. I wonder if Tivoli is 'too good' a site? As in, it has amazing credentials as a sustainable residential location. Would it be a waste to use much of it as a hospital?

I've heard Blarney Business Park being a strong option. On the rail line, cork to limerick road for access (future motorway) and future ring road. Cork is very one sided for medical services at the moment with majority on the South Side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

rounders wrote: »
    I've heard Blarney Business Park being a strong option. On the rail line, cork to limerick road for access (future motorway) and future ring road. Cork is very one sided for medical services at the moment with majority on the South Side

And third level education.
    And a lot of the major employment areas too.

Wherever a new hospital were to be located on the northside there needs to be a lot more transport infrastructure. Blarney's not very accessible from the M8 corridor. Glanmire's not very accessible from the N20 corridor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

Just on these talks about identifying a site for a new hospital.

The CUH / Regional hospital site was identified in the 1940's and was not built until the 70's.

So I expect some of the same as this country does not learn from the past.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

ABP have accepted the Albert Quay Tower as a valid case for SHD application

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/25-storey-apartment-development-for-The-Sextant-site-has-been-accepted-for-fast-track-planning-813e17eb-e7f2-4c77-b4a2-932db6103b54-ds

This being JCD you’d expect an application imminently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

marno21 wrote: »
    ABP have accepted the Albert Quay Tower as a valid case for SHD application

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/25-storey-apartment-development-for-The-Sextant-site-has-been-accepted-for-fast-track-planning-813e17eb-e7f2-4c77-b4a2-932db6103b54-ds

This being JCD you’d expect an application imminently

"The development will include a 25th-floor residents’ lounge and dining area which will be available to all residents of the scheme; residents’ gym; public café; co-working space; games room; and a basement with car spaces, large area for bicycle parking, refuse and recycling as well as dedicated storage areas for the apartments."

This is great and how it should be done. A proper modern apartment block with amenities like you'd see abroad in cities where the majority live in apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CorkCraneCount

And third level education.
    And a lot of the major employment areas too.

Wherever a new hospital were to be located on the northside there needs to be a lot more transport infrastructure. Blarney's not very accessible from the M8 corridor. Glanmire's not very accessible from the N20 corridor.

This is the key reason why I think Tivoli is a runner, (and North Esk, which I hadn't heard mentioned before).

Remember that this isn't going to be a Cork hospital. It's going to be a Munster hospital.
    It is intended for elective procedures. If you walk onto any surgical ward in CUH or the Mercy, up to half the patients are not from Cork.

The location has to be convenient to Limerick/Clare (N20/Train), Kerry (South Link/Tunnel/N22/Train), Tipperary/Kilkenny (M8/Train) and Waterford (N25).
    Obviously, it has to be convenient to Cork people too, and there would be more flexibility on location if that was the only factor.

That makes for a very limited shortlist.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

This is the key reason why I think Tivoli is a runner, (and North Esk, which I hadn't heard mentioned before).

Remember that this isn't going to be a Cork hospital. It's going to be a Munster hospital.
    It is intended for elective procedures. If you walk onto any surgical ward in CUH or the Mercy, up to half the patients are not from Cork.

The location has to be convenient to Limerick/Clare (N20/Train), Kerry (South Link/Tunnel/N22/Train), Tipperary/Kilkenny (M8/Train) and Waterford (N25).

Welcome to the thread, great to have you on here. :)

Obviously, it has to be convenient to Cork people too, and there would be more flexibility on location if that was the only factor.

Just to welcome you to boards, I assume you are the same person with the same name on another social media site ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Could the issue with Tivoli be the timeline? Redevelopment looks to be a decade away, at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

snotboogie wrote: »
    Could the issue with Tivoli be the timeline? Redevelopment looks to be a decade away, at best.

I would not expect to see this hospital sooner than that either though? All they really need to do in the wider plan is set aside the space for it and then OPW or whoever can work away sooner than the rest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Italix

I was up at the turn off for Glanmire on the M8 and tbh a road from the junction to the hospital wouldn't be a huge deal imo.
    I think traffic wise it would be nice to get it further from the city centre.

So it seems that not only are the infamous objectors of the M28 delaying the move by the Harbour Commissioners from relocating the container terminal in Tivoli to Ringaskiddy they are now delaying a possible site for a new public hospital as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

kub wrote: »
    Just to welcome you to boards, I assume you are the same person with the same name on another social media site ;)

If it is then snotboogie has some competition in this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

“If you look at a city like Cork, there are a number of developers and builders that have permission to build large-scale apartment complexes around the city. They are not building them at the moment because they can’t make the numbers add up and we need to look at that to see if we can improve the economics of that.”

Good to know that they at least are aware that this is an issue. Hopefully they can come up with a solution that doesn't just benefit developers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CorkCraneCount

kub wrote: »

Thanks kub and marno21!

Yes, same person as on the twitter account.

Have only recently joined boards though, and am finding your discussions very interesting

• Advertisement

Planning gone in for the Moore's Hotel site. Mixed use office and hotel development, 4 to 6 stories, no pictures yet.

Planning gone in for the Moore's Hotel site. Mixed use office and hotel development, 4 to 6 stories, no pictures yet.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/183-bed-hotel-proposed-for-Morrisons-Quay-28b27dc5-1f8f-41c6-a04d-121224aaddcd-ds

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

mainMediaSize=537x291_type=image_publish=true_x0=15.83_y0=14.49_x1=85.83_y1=85.51_format=1.7777777777777777__image.jpg

A bit jarring. Could've made a bit more effort to be sympathetic with the existing structures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Not great at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Like a game of Jenga played by drunks

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

A pretty poor looking design.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Rough as knives. That whole quay has a roofscape that this just blows out of the water with those identikit square blocks. Run a bigger sloped roof across the whole thing and you'd actually probably significantly increase floor space by another floor or more

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

This is one I wouldn't mind An Taisce having a problem with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Normally I roll my eyes when pretty much every building design shared on here gets slated for having too much glass etc......but that is one awful looking building, who the fúck 'designed' that?!

Advertisement