Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Corona Virus and events

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Virtual race, map out the route, everyone run it within period of a month, upload your Garmin data, get place and prize etc

We have our own Boards.ie virtual race for anyone interested.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058064131

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Not a running event, but just for how far out things are being cancelled, the Edinburgh Festival/ Tattoo /etc that happen in August have now all been called off.

Won't be long before they are re-cancelling the bumped to October marathons as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

robinph wrote: »
    Not a running event, but just for how far out things are being cancelled, the Edinburgh Festival/ Tattoo /etc that happen in August have now all been called off.

Won't be long before they are re-cancelling the bumped to October marathons as well.

A couple of weeks ago I would have said 'nah should be fine by then' but now I expect it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

What do people think re DCM?

I’d say 30% chance of ii Going ahead. Obviously know one knows but that’s my guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    What do people think re DCM?

I’d say 30% chance of ii Going ahead. Obviously know one knows but that’s my guess.

We will be starting to get back to normal in 2 months time. Loads of time.
    Will be Sept before large events happen alright but DCM will hold fire in hope I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Is there really a need to be cancelling events many months into the future (particularly events mostly held to cater for domestic participants)?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

ligerdub wrote: »
    Is there really a need to be cancelling events many months into the future (particularly events mostly held to cater for domestic participants)?

When you factor in all the logistics - insurance, Garda approval, government road closure approval, medical support staff etc. Which need to be organised well in advance.

Also factoring in paying suppliers (normally early entry fees help cash reserves here) and running the risk of losing this money its having to refund participants this outlay can you blame events not wanting to leave themselves financially exposed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

Will be Sept before large events happen alright but DCM will hold fire in hope I'd say.

I don't think anything is going to go ahead this year. Even if we get some handle on the spread cannot see an 20,000 event plus spectators going ahead unless someone discovers a magic cure for covid before then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

ger664 wrote: »
    I don't think anything is going to go ahead this year. Even if we get some handle on the spread cannot see an 20,000 event plus spectators going ahead unless someone discovers a magic cure for covid before then.

Wow. That's not great news considering how far away it is. I didn't think it would go on that long but was probably more hopeful thinking.

What's your and other people's thoughts on smaller runs. For example a local 300-500 person 10k race or when will Parkrun's restart in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Dudda wrote: »
    Wow. That's not great news considering how far away it is. I didn't think it would go on that long but was probably more hopeful thinking.

What's your and other people's thoughts on smaller runs. For example a local 300-500 person 10k race or when will Parkrun's restart in Ireland?

You see it all depends on the progress made with dealing with it. How many people are close to someone vulnerable, like a parent, asthma, auto immune disease etc. None of these people or the people they live with can risk going somewhere where there's groups of people until there's either a vaccine or they can at least be pretty sure you won't die from it. They say a vaccine will take over a year so...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I think that we could have parkruns and other small events starting like local football matches up on a case by case and week by week basis depending on the particular testing being done in that individual region/ town. I really can't see any way that mass participation events/ matches/ concerts can be held until 6 months after the population has been vaccinated, and in more than just on a country wide basis.

eg New Zealand can vaccinate their population and start things up again fairly quickly and they don't need to worry too much about a few people from Australia passing through. Any country in Europe though can't restart just because they have vaccinated their own population, unless the surrounding countries have also begun their vaccination programs as well as there are just too many points of entry... or you only allow entry to DCM to people who can show they have been living in Dublin for the previous X months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

I really can't see any way that mass participation events/ matches/ concerts can be held until 6 months after the population has been vaccinated, and in more than just on a country wide basis..

This. They may try host some but I'll skip them until there's a vaccine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

It wouldn't surprise me if restrictions are phased on and off until a vaccine is found. So I don't expect any large scale events to go ahead for the rest of the year. That includes smaller races

ger664 wrote: »

I agree and many expect another spike in October anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

What's the refund policy for DCM2020? I have already ploughed 110 for Paris now scheduled the week before...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

echancrure wrote: »
    What's the refund policy for DCM2020? I have already ploughed 110 for Paris now scheduled the week before...
    About Entry for the 2020 KBC Dublin Marathon

There will be 25,000 places available, with a number of these places allocated to Athletics Ireland membership. Athletics Ireland members will qualify under the Good For Agestandards and can apply on April 1st and must have a valid Athletics Ireland membership.
    Lottery event opened to the public from November 1st to Saturday 30th November 2019 at midnight via a public webpage hosted by Eventmaster. The lottery is now closed.
    The KBC Dublin Marathon will select successful lottery applications randomly but, in a manner, to ensure that the current balance of Irish and overseas runners and runners of all abilities is maintained.
    Eventmaster will issue SMS to be sent to the successful applicants with a direct link to register for the event. Access link will direct the user to their registration page on the 2020 marathon event with the data from the lottery pre-populated – Name, email, gender, DOB, mobile will not be editable, ensuring that only the selected applicant can use that lottery link. Fee of €75 to enter (€90 less €15 already paid) + additional purchases and booking fee (€3) as normal. Successful applicants will have until MIDNIGHT 31st January to use the link. Email reminders will be issued.
    Applicants who have been unsuccessful with will receive an email to inform them.
    Any places not redeemed will be offered via lottery system to those originally unsuccessful on 7th February 2020 with offers needing to be redeemed by 14th February.
    Refund option opens in July 2020. A refund of 70% of the entry fee will be returned once your application has been accepted. The refund will be available on “Manage My Bookings” from your entry confirmation link. This will be the only opportunity to avail of a refund for 2020.
    There will be no option to reallocate numbers to other runners.
    Any unallocated numbers to be offered to any unsuccessful lottery applicants in August with offers needing to be redeemed by 14th
    Refund issued of €15 to those that were unsuccessful.
    (from here)

I'm almost certainly going to take the refund option. I don't want to have to push myself for anything this year (I've just been signed off work for a third week thanks to Covid-19) and I've already deferred Manchester to next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I can't see DCM going ahead this year unless something truly spectacular happens with a magical vaccine that is made widely available all of a sudden.

Happy to be proved wrong of course but just can't see it right now.

Saw on my Facebook feed that the Women's Mini Marathon in September are open for entries....again, can't see this going ahead but was interesting to read that people were concerned about "what colour will the race tshirt be this year". I suspect this is the same cohort of people still planning to go on their sun holiday to Spain in July.

Anyway sorry for all the doom and gloom....stay safe folks :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Cartman78 wrote: »
    I can't see DCM going ahead this year unless something truly spectacular happens with a magical vaccine that is made widely available all of a sudden.

Saw on my Facebook feed that the Women's Mini Marathon in September are open for entries....again, can't see this going ahead but was interesting to read that people were concerned about "what colour will the race tshirt be this year". I suspect this is the same cohort of people still planning to go on their sun holiday to Spain in July.

Have south of France booked for 2 weeks in July, really hanging by a thread ( In reality its gone)

Hopefully the campsites might open here and can head off in my caravan.

To be honest if we aren't back in the offices by end of May, we can wave goodbye to everything as jobs will be all gone

Do you think the western world will stand still until the end of the summer like it is at the moment?
    We have two weeks of this up to now and economies are at breaking point, despite the economy being the only thing leaders cared about all along...
    You think they will allow China get so far ahead now that it will be hard to ever recover?

It's 21 weeks until the end of August, it could be a year and a half before a successful vaccine is rolled out.
    We are 3 weeks into this at the moment, the US and UK are 2, bear that in mind.

We will have international travel restrictions for sure but past that things will have to go back to normal whether people like it or not.

They seem to have done things arseways in every western country anyway.
    Logical thing would have been to do the exact opposite, closing the schools should have been the last step.
    We could have sectioned off the at risk groups without affecting schools in the main.
    We should have closed ports as the first action, repatriation excepted.
    Nursing homes and hospitals should have been locked down from day one.
    The vaccine is the least of our worries when the people in charge are only worried about spin and public opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

An antibody test would be a biggie. I suspect many may have already had this virus completely unknown to them, and were either asymptomatic or had such mild symptoms that no eyelid was batted to it.

The only reason so many premier league players are testing positive is because they are privileged people who have easy access to testing. Imagine how many with little or no symptoms would have tested positive if it was that easy for everyone to get a test.

If a widely available test could come available for antibodies, we could start releasing people back into the workforce/normal life.

• Advertisement

Do you think the western world will stand still until the end of the summer like it is at the moment?
    We have two weeks of this up to now and economies are at breaking point, despite the economy being the only thing leaders cared about all along...
    You think they will allow China get so far ahead now that it will be hard to ever recover?

It's 21 weeks until the end of August, it could be a year and a half before a successful vaccine is rolled out.

We will have international travel restrictions for sure but past that things will have to go back to normal whether people like it or not.

Hang on...I never said anything about the western economy standing still :confused:

Even in a best case scenario of things returning to “normal” by late summer/early autumn the chances of large scale events like DCM going ahead would be slim imho.

I would hope/expect that by then people would be back at work and schools, colleges etc would be open but I just can’t see how 20,000 runners plus large crowds congregating in Dublin would be a good idea after the current major public health disaster that we’re going through

Hang on...I never said anything about the western economy standing still :confused:

Even in a best case scenario of things returning to “normal” by late summer/early autumn the chances of large scale events like DCM going ahead would be slim imho.

I would hope/expect that by then people would be back at work and schools, colleges etc would be open but I just can’t see how 20,000 runners plus large crowds congregating in Dublin would be a good idea after the current major public health disaster

The economy depends completely on the free movement of people and their willingness to go out and socialize and spend.
    Concerts/shows/sporting events etc. are the essence of this, peoples livelihoods depend on these things happening.

So you think they would let up to 1,000 kids gather in a school or college but not have a 20,000 sporting event or concert?
    How do they differ, aside from using gardai and ambulance resources for a few hours?

The economy depends completely on the free movement of people and their willingness to go out and socialize and spend.
    Concerts/shows/sporting events etc. are the essence of this, peoples livelihoods depend on these things happening.

So you think they would let up to 1,000 kids gather in a school or college but not have a 20,000 sporting event or concert?
    How do they differ, aside from using gardai and ambulance resources for a few hours?

Yes...I think schools, colleges and other essential businesses will be rightly prioritised ahead of sporting events.

I’d imagine that the restrictions will be lessened and removed gradually over the course of several months.

As I said in my original post earlier on, I’ll be more than happy to be proved entirely wrong. If the DCM goes ahead this year it will be an indication that the country has emerged successfully from the utter sh1tshow we are now living in

1000 kids in a school are generally all from relatively nearby so assuming that the local area is clear and the hospital coping with numbers then not a major problem. They are then only really mingling in small groups of 30 at a time and with the same people each day.

20,000 people flying in from around the country, mingling with any combination of those 20,000 at an expo/ bar/ gig and then all heading off in their various directions to far flung parts of the country/ world and relatively untraceable afterwards is a very different prospect for trying to contain anything.

They seem to have done things arseways in every western country anyway.
    Logical thing would have been to do the exact opposite, closing the schools should have been the last step.
    We could have sectioned off the at risk groups without affecting schools in the main.
    We should have closed ports as the first action, repatriation excepted.
    Nursing homes and hospitals should have been locked down from day one.
    The vaccine is the least of our worries when the people in charge are only worried about spin and public opinion.

Because we don't have a proper childcare system in Ireland we had to close schools. A lot of grandparents collect kids from schools and the schools wouldn't be too flexible in staying open till 6pm

The firs thing we need to do is to get people spending at home. Get all the small businesses back up and running. Means holidaying in Ireland for the year, so be it.

If they want to run Dublin marathon, then limit it to residents of Ireland only.

But our economy needs to start up by end of May the latest.

The firs thing we need to do is to get people spending at home. Get all the small businesses back up and running. Means holidaying in Ireland for the year, so be it.

If they want to run Dublin marathon, then limit it to residents of Ireland only.

But our economy needs to start up by end of May the latest.

There's worse places to holiday in than Ireland. The West Coast is among the nicest places I've seen anywhere in the world. South Kerry and the Aran Islands in particular.

I was supposed to go to Philippines and Japan this year. I'll happily settle for a nice road trip around the West Coast of Ireland right now.

And some sort of a track season.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    There's worse places to holiday in than Ireland. The West Coast is among the nicest places I've seen anywhere in the world. South Kerry and the Aran Islands in particular.

I was supposed to go to Philippines and Japan this year. I'll happily settle for a nice road trip around the West Coast of Ireland right now.

Usually France for us, but we also head down to Redcross in Wicklow. Nice campsite but a nice forest up the road and some great running routes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Chivito550 wrote: »

Yeah agreed, My missus brought up the subject of maybe booking hols in the Canaries for August.....I laughed and told her Egypt might suit better as she's in de-Nile.

Looks like the Leeds Abbey Dash 10km in October has now been called off. It's a fast and popular one so fairly big deal to have been cancelled already.

• Advertisement

Cork City Sports and Morton Games both cancelled. Were due to take place in July.

Forgot about this thread ,I wonder do they still think parkruns shouldnt of been cancelled

The way things are shaping up the year could be a write off for races. If the likes of DCM and the marathon majors are to go ahead I think there’s a real possibility of people needing ‘immunity’ certificates to run if a vaccine or antivirals aren’t available and rolled out.

sideswipe wrote: »
    The way things are shaping up the year could be a write off for races. If the likes of DCM and the marathon majors are to go ahead I think there’s a real possibility of people needing ‘immunity’ certificates to run if a vaccine or antivirals aren’t available and rolled out.

Whilst seemingly a logical step to get things moving again with jobs, the economy and life in general, even the thought of something like an immunity certificate to be able to go out and get on with your life terrifies me far more than the idea of actually catching the virus.

The route that the world would then be heading in would not be a pleasant place to be at all. Once a vaccine is developed and available then it's a different matter to require people to prove they have been vaccinated before they can do something like travel, but whilst the requirements for being allowed to take part in civilisation is to first get ill it is an exceedingly bad future.

Whilst seemingly a logical step to get things moving again with jobs, the economy and life in general, even the thought of something like an immunity certificate to be able to go out and get on with your life terrifies me far more than the idea of actually catching the virus.

The route that the world would then be heading in would not be a pleasant place to be at all. Once a vaccine is developed and available then it's a different matter to require people to prove they have been vaccinated before they can do something like travel, but whilst the requirements for being allowed to take part in civilisation is to first get ill it is an exceedingly bad future.

100% agree, very 1984’ish. Some Asian countries have a traffic light system for monitoring and accessing personal info-

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/03/01/business/china-coronavirus-surveillance.amp.html

Scary stuff. Not to mention any vaccine will have an amnesty for side effects or complications down the line as it’s being side tracked.

Enough people won't have those certs to make it worthwhile holding it.

The fact they are already talking bailouts in the EU means they are nearly at the end of the road in terms of blanket restrictions.

How soon social life returns to any sort of norm is sure to be a lot later but things will start moving mid May in terms of business.

DM_7 wrote: »
    Enough people won't have those certs to make it worthwhile holding it.

7 months away though. Antibody test by early summer is being muted as vital to be able to decide who can get back out there and kick start the economy first and foremost. It’s possible we’ll see some more social events piggybacking on that type of system. Time will tell I suppose, I’ll be happy to run more than 2k from home TBH.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

There isn't any knowledge of if people who have had the virus will be immune to getting it again or how long that would last.

Even if there was that would be no way to organise a race. Also what about all the spectators?

I don't see any way a marathon can happen in October.

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    There isn't any knowledge of if people who have had the virus will be immune to getting it again or how long that would last.

Even if there was that would be no way to organise a race. Also what about all the spectators?

I don't see any way a marathon can happen in October.

True, I’m just looking at potential outcomes to the current situation and what a new normal might look like.

True, I’m just looking at potential outcomes to the current situation and what a new normal might look like.

I figure people in public administration won't be looking at large scale events like marathons in 2020 as things that need to happen or to have resources allocated to think even about.

The likes of runs are 2021 issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Snodge

All Irish milers clubs meets have been cancelled. Belfast meet on June 20th is still going ahead as of now, but will be reconsidered closer to the time, hardly likely though?

Snodge wrote: »
    All Irish milers clubs meets have been cancelled. Belfast meet on June 20th is still going ahead as of now, but will be reconsidered closer to the time, hardly likely though?

Wouldn't of thought so

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Snodge

Yes surprising, but I guess organisers are trying to be optimistic. I wonder how track meets will be considered in terms of mass gatherings? Don't get as big a following as gaa matches for example but still they will have large number of eateries when and if they start up as everyone will be looking for a race

Oktoberfest in Munich now cancelled.

Autumn marathon season soon to follow...

• Advertisement

Berlin Marathon apparently cancelled now, due to a ban of events with more than 5000 people until the end of October at least:

https://www.bz-berlin.de/berlin-sport/mehr-berlin-sport/coronavirus-berlin-marathon-im-september-kann-nicht-stattfinden?fbclid=IwAR0-NsgYkhimEglzkCYvIKpyYOUNjzNOgOBnMEjWzB8XjBPPKP7C_7xT8x0

No gigs/festivals/fairs etc before end of August where upwards of 5000 may be in attendance.
    The wording where licencing is prevalent suggest they will go hard on the pubs too.

Loophole for sports though which may be influenced by the GAA.
    Two more months I'd say and we might have some live sport, both participating and watching please God.

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/all-summer-festivals-and-concerts-to-be-cancelled-until-end-of-august-39145897.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

No gigs/festivals/fairs etc before end of August where upwards of 5000 may be in attendance.
    The wording where licencing is prevalent suggest they will go hard on the pubs too.

Two more months I'd say and we might have some live sport, both participating and watching please God.

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/all-summer-festivals-and-concerts-to-be-cancelled-until-end-of-august-39145897.html

I'm not so sure...there are lots of events where there would be less than 5000 participants but that's only a small consideration. The main stumbling block will be participants or spectators observing social distancing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

No actual loophole for sports - the measure doesn’t affect sports only because most regular events don’t need a license. Doubt if we will see any events this year. Even if restrictions are relaxed the worst thing you could do would be to allow large gatherings and reignite transmission. Closed doors maybe, if players unions agree.

Snodge wrote: »

I read an article on BBC where he said he'd stage it later in the year of needs be, even October.

• Advertisement
Advertisement