Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus and events

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ultrawoman

Athletics Ireland

6 mins ·

Statement from Athletics Ireland regarding the Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Athletics Ireland continues to closely monitor the Coronavirus outbreak and the advice from the National Public Health Emergency Team and the HSE. The health and safety of the Athletics community is our priority and we are determined to be calm, calculated and proactive regarding precautions to limit the spread of the Coronavirus (COVID-19).

As announced by An Taoiseach this morning the following measures will come into effect from tomorrow morning until the 29th March, 2020.

• schools, colleges and childcare facilities will close from tomorrow (Friday)
    • Indoor mass gatherings of 100 people or more and outdoor mass gatherings of more than 500 people should be cancelled

Where it is possible to work remotely people should do so. Public transport will continue and shops will continue to remain open. Mr Varadkar said we need the public and businesses to take a sensible approach.

Athletics Ireland is guided by this expert HSE advice and will physically close our office from tomorrow morning but all staff will be operating our business from their homes. We have all prepared to operate telephones and emails remotely to minimise disruption to our business.

Athletics Ireland is therefore instructing all affiliates to suspend all athletic competitions and events with immediate effect. We understand that this decision will result in inconvenience and disappointment to many athletes, coaches, officials, volunteers and supporters. However, we are sure that all will understand that the decision is taken in the best interests, not just of the athletics community, but of the Country.

The situation is changing rapidly and we will continue to monitor developments and update our website and communication on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Dudda wrote: »
    With the announcement of gatherings over 100 people indoor and 500 outdoor I can't see a single run/event now proceeding in the short term. If the local Parkrun even goes ahead this Saturday I'd be amazed.

Why? my local PR gets 200 people a week... A bunch of races, mainly IMRA have limits of ~2-300 entires too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

ultrawoman wrote: »
    Athletics Ireland

Athletics Ireland is therefore instructing all affiliates to suspend all athletic competitions and events with immediate effect. We understand that this decision will result in inconvenience and disappointment to many athletes, coaches, officials, volunteers and supporters. However, we are sure that all will understand that the decision is taken in the best interests, not just of the athletics community, but of the Country.
    mloc123 wrote: »
    Why? my local PR gets 200 people a week... A bunch of races, mainly IMRA have limits of ~2-300 entires too.

That line there from AI essentially cancels all Irish parkruns.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Gonna be a big year for track running in Ireland :P

Rotterdam gone now to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

London marathon is a goner now too.
    Slow action within the UK will see to it that they are one of the last to come out the far side of it.
    Will likely be mid May before UK is up and running again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Could you imagine the Press if someone picked it up there ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Latest from parkrun HQ. https://www.parkrun.com/news/2020/03/12/covid-19/
    Our current overall strategic position is that where specifically recommended or required by health organisations, governments, or landowners, we will close events. This includes where our events may not quite reach the full criteria, such as where gatherings of over 1,000 people are banned; in this situation we will cancel all events in that region regardless of event size.

We also request that events themselves do not cancel due to COVID-19 in the absence of a central instruction from us. This is because we believe doing so may overwhelm other nearby teams with an influx of participants, and increase the amount of travel as parkrunners simply attend other events. Importantly, anyone who would prefer to not volunteer at parkrun events during this time should feel comfortable and supported in their decision.

At the time of writing a number of parkrun events are closed around the world. Where we impose large-scale cancellations across parkrun regions we will directly contact all registered participants in that region, notifying them of the closure.

So is Ireland parkrun gone?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Unknown at the moment. Presume teams will call it, or Matt Shields - country manager.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'd say parkrun HQ are waiting until the end of the Cobra meeting in the UK and see what comes out of that before they release a statement from parkrun IE so they can then just release one global thing if needed.

I think parkruns in Ireland are essentially cancelled due to the AI statement and parkrun IE can't really go against that.
    parkrun NL is also now essentially cancelled after a Dutch PM announcement in the last half hour.

parkrun global are better off releasing one statement that then get repeated by each local country team than drip feeding each country over the next couple of hours whilst government statements are still being released. parkrun isn't for another two days yet though, plenty of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Boris is making a statement at half 4
    It'll probably be the same as Leo's but he'll have thought of it first

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

So I'll know then if I have to do a Marathon Paced long run this weekend :) (not holding my breath - just want to be put out of my misery)

So I'll know then if I have to do a Marathon Paced long run this weekend :) (not holding my breath - just want to be put out of my misery)

Might only have another week of it being socially acceptable to be outside running, even on your own in a park. Glad we have both a treadmill and a bike in the house and TV's infront of each.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭pc11

Dudda wrote: »
    With the announcement of gatherings over 100 people indoor and 500 outdoor I can't see a single run/event now proceeding in the short term. If the local Parkrun even goes ahead this Saturday I'd be amazed.

I'd be shocked and disgusted if parkruns WERE cancelled. Cancelling a small local outdoor event makes no sense whatsoever when pubs/shops/offices and everything else are open.

Boris effectively saying BAU for now. Sporting events won't be getting government mandates in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

KSU wrote: »
    Boris effectively saying BAU for now. Sporting events won't be getting government mandates in the UK.

I was never racing Manchester, I can do without. I doubt that or London will go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

UK official response to the whole thing has been astonishing alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

I cancelled my Manchester hotel today. Boris' attitude is shocking
    I'd run Manchester if I had any confidence that the UK wouldn't be like 28 Days Later with him in charge

Murph_D wrote: »
    UK official response to the whole thing has been astonishing alright.

Among the highlights of his statement

"Don't call 111, go on the internet for information" (Not the NHS site simply the internet)
    "Over 70s - Avoid going on cruises"
    "Kids - refrain from school trips"

I wish I was paraphrasing :eek:

• Advertisement

"Don't call 111, go on the internet for information" (Not the NHS site simply the internet)

He makes Ireland look good

• Registered Users Posts: 11,229 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

" people will lose loved ones" but carry on as normal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭py

pc11 wrote: »
    I'd be shocked and disgusted if parkruns WERE cancelled. Cancelling a small local outdoor event makes no sense whatsoever when pubs/shops/offices and everything else are open.

Quite a few of the Dublin events are in their hundreds each weekend. Anything that organisations can do to prevent the spread of the virus will help our already compromised health system from becoming a warzone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Hardly a big deal to skip parkrun for a few weeks. I'm just glad running can be done alone, it must suck for those who requires gyms etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

robinph wrote: »
    Might only have another week of it being socially acceptable to be outside running, even on your own in a park. Glad we have both a treadmill and a bike in the house and TV's infront of each.

Bit OTT no? How is solo running an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Chivito550 wrote: »

I think that's aimed at those runners who stop at lights and lamp-posts and lick 'em, ya know.

Yep.

Forgot what group it was on, but seen mention of running outside not being permitted in Italy. Was something about needing a permit or very good reason to be out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Yep.

Forgot what group it was on, but seen mention of running outside not being permitted in Italy. Was something about needing a permit or very good reason to be out and about.

Run to do your shopping. :)

Run to do your shopping. :)

Weight training on the way home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ultrawoman

Yep.

Yep, you're right. Just saw this on fb from my friend in Northern Italy:

"When local police vans are passing through your locality telling people through loud speakers to stay indoors. There is a pandemic.."
    😱

Advertisement